Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I see Wimbledon is moving back a week next year ,nice one ,they finally saw some sense.
    3 week break between the French Open and Wimbledon is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I wonder will Tennis Ireland think about putting on a tournament during the extra week next year. Maybe a Challenger or 250. Many players would be around Europe at the time. Throw their hat in the ring now before we end up with the Sunderland Open, or something like that.:pac:

Just an idea.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

RosyLily wrote: »
    I wonder will Tennis Ireland think about putting on a tournament during the extra week next year. Maybe a Challenger or 250. Many players would be around Europe at the time. Throw their hat in the ring now before we end up with the Sunderland Open, or something like that.:pac:

Maybe something for you to organise next year RosyLily ? :p

The_Monkey would be eager to act as a chaperone for his idol Nadal I am sure

On a serious note are there many grass courts left in Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

RosyLily wrote: »

We can dream :) Bizarrely enough though, the WTA recently announced a new grass-court tournament in Majorca, of all places. Will be played alongside Birmingham as a Wimbledon warm up from 2016.

I wonder is it too early to suggest that Cibulkova has gone back to her pre-2014 form? She hasn't done much since March, her clay season was a disaster (although she was unlucky to run into Stosur twice) and now losing to Shvedova. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Surprised Genie lost, but being fresher for Wimbledon will hardly be a bad thing. Good to see Muguruza winning on grass, would be exciting if she brought her form to Wimbledon :)

Maybe something for you to organise next year RosyLily ? :p

Off to copyright the Rose Open! Patent pending!:pac:

Not sure if there's many grass courts. Could always jointly hold a tournament, a la Rogers Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think they're moving one of the current grass events into the extra week, are they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

I think they're moving one of the current grass events into the extra week, are they not?
    It's unlikely to be left vacant.

Back in the day some players used to come to Dublin to practice in Carrickmines, their courts were very highly regarded.

IIRC the Goal events with McEnroe, Wilander and Co used to be on leading up to it too, so they probably overlapped. I think they were in Fitz though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Great win for Keys. :) Great game.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Jesus, Kerber's record in finals is just 3-8 now.

• Advertisement

James McGee just missed out on qualifying for Newport this week. Lost in the last round of Q, again. 7-5 in the TB. He keeps getting so close :(

James Clusky is in the doubles in Bastad with Kukushkin. They start on Tuesday, I think.

Ah no, poor James. He'll qualify for a main draw soon I hope :)

I hate when Wimbledon ends, I find the wait until things get going again incredibly long. A lot to look forward to over the summer. Anyone have any wild predictions they wanna make?!

FEDERER TO WIN US!!!!

:o

I'm looking forward to a little break now, at least from the big events. Rogers Cup isn't until August, that's the next "big" one.

Quite a few clay tournaments going on this week. So weird that people will go back to the clay after the grass when it's about to be hard courts again. I suppose some of them want to rack up a few points away from the bigger events. Personally I hate the clay and I'm glad to see the back of it.

Louk Sorensen has made it into the main draw at Stuttgart via the lucky loser system. Plays Igor Sijsling.

Sorensen won his R1 match today against Sijsling in Stuttgart.

Clusky lost his doubles match in Bastad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Strange win for Sorensen sadly, some very odd betting movement on that match. Sjisling opened up about 4/11 and then was odds against, most bookies closed the match in the afternoon.

Last time I looked it had taken 300k match betting and over 50k matched on 2-0 Sorensen, which shockingly was the final score.

Injured, or something more suspicious.

:eek:

Louk lost today anyway, although did take Bautista Agut to three sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I'm looking forward to a little break now, at least from the big events. Rogers Cup isn't until August, that's the next "big" one.

Quite a few clay tournaments going on this week. So weird that people will go back to the clay after the grass when it's about to be hard courts again. I suppose some of them want to rack up a few points away from the bigger events. Personally I hate the clay and I'm glad to see the back of it.

I love August and the I'll never forget last August as a Nadal fan.

I love it due to the matches being on around 8/9 in the evening although I miss some with them being on so late. Friday and Saturday nights are special in August with quarters and semis on :)

Elle magazine did a piece on Sloane Stephens. She doesn't come across well at all.

http://www.elle.com/life-love/society-career/sloane-stephens-profile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Elle magazine did a piece on Sloane Stephens. She doesn't come across well at all.

People never come across well in those types of "interviews". It's like they don't think what they say and do is going to be reported unless they're actually having a face to face question and answer type interview.

smurfs5 wrote: »

I like that attitude that some of the young players have. As the article says there's a fine line between confidence and arrogance but I think it's what's missing from some of the older players when it comes to facing the "big 4". They've lost to them so many times that they don't really believe they can win when they go up against them. Whereas the younger players, or some of them anyway, actually do believe they can win and you see the difference in the performances. Sure, they don't always win but they put in better performances than the older guys do.

On the WTA side you see the likes of Bouchard with the same attitude. She gets a bit of stick for it but if you think about it these people have been playing tennis since they were 4 or 5. They've committed their entire childhoods to the sport so by the time they get to 19/20 and are on the big stages they should be feeling like they belong there otherwise what's the point of the last 13/14/15 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

She comes across as pretty annoying, and a little hyper, but they are not the worst characteristics in the world and she will grow out of them. She is still pretty young to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bykobap

Rjd2 wrote: »
    She comes across as pretty annoying, and a little hyper, but they are not the worst characteristics in the world and she will grow out of them. She is still pretty young to be fair.

Well yeah she's quite young, but she should still know better at 21 imo. And the autographs thing was extremely petulant.

Meanwhile, a nice surprise seeing Bernard Tomic in the Bogota final.

Meanwhile, a nice surprise seeing Bernard Tomic in the Bogota final.

It seems like dropping out of the top 100 and being dropped by IMG gave him a kick up the bum. We'll see how long it lasts though.

Nice win for Woz today. Amazing to think she's been around this long, winning a title for a seventh straight year! Great to see Mona win a title also. She probably won't win a match for the rest of the Summer, but hey, she's got Bastad! :pac:

Nice, random win for Tomic also. Certainly made the most of his wildcard. Would be cool if he started to turn things around... but I'm not holding my breath.

Nice win for Woz today. Amazing to think she's been around this long, winning a title for a seventh straight year!

It was her birthday the other day and I was a bit surprised to see she was only 24, I think, it kind of feels like she should be hitting 30 by now.
    Nice, random win for Tomic also. Certainly made the most of his wildcard. Would be cool if he started to turn things around... but I'm not holding my breath.

He actually looked like he cared this week. Would be great to see it continue but who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

He actually looked like he cared this week. Would be great to see it continue but who knows.[/QUOTE]

I reckon he is getting big inspiration from the successes of Nick Kyrios.

He certainly looked more focussed this week than I ever seen him, you gotta make allowances for his wackjob of a father too who really hasn't helped his career.

To me I reckon Tomic would be top 10 material if he puts it all together and keeps his discipline, I also reckon in the back of his mind he sees himself as better than Kyrios which he isn't right now but could be capable of in the future, all good for Aussie tennis either way!

Advertisement