Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

Not sure how many of them were actually played on grass due to the weather. I know in Nottingham this week they had to play most of the matches on hard indoors.
    Not ideal then, but still should be match tight.
    Hope he gets into the main draw soon, he can't stay on the road forever for little return.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Murray has appointed Mauresmo as his new coach. Should be interesting.
    Very odd choice. He must have had his pick of a lot of coaches, I wonder what the logic is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Henry9 wrote: »
    Very odd choice. He must have had his pick of a lot of coaches, I wonder what the logic is.

She's a multiple slam winner, she's a decent history of coaching, she coached Bartoli to her Wimbledon win last year, she coached Llodra a few years ago through a decent grass court season. He said himself he's admired her for a long time and everyone he knows speaks very highly of her as a person and as a coach. His early development was heavily influenced by female coaches and something he feels he needs right now is someone who can listen to him which he has found female coaches are better at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nadal to win Wimbledon zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Done deal

She's a multiple slam winner, she's a decent history of coaching, she coached Bartoli to her Wimbledon win last year, she coached Llodra a few years ago through a decent grass court season. He said himself he's admired her for a long time and everyone he knows speaks very highly of her as a person and as a coach. His early development was heavily influenced by female coaches and something he feels he needs right now is someone who can listen to him which he has found female coaches are better at.
    I don't care if she's female.
    But as a player she was mentally very fragile, she never fulfilled the potential she had.
    She's relatively inexperienced.
    Men's and women's tennis are very different games, which leaves her at a disadvantage working in the men's draw.
    She's untried at the higher levels of the men's game.

She's almost the polar opposite of Lendl, which is strange given that was such a successful partnership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Mauresmo is on board for the grass season then who knows. Wasn't expecting her appointment tbh, I thought McEnroe would be coach.

Apparently Bob Brett is working at the LTA at the moment, there were rumours it would be him.
    He initially got with Lendl through Adidas, I'd say a few big names would have been interested.
    British No1 is always a good meal ticket, very high profile especially around Wimbledon.
    Very strange if you're No 3 trying to beat the top 2 in SF and finals, I would have thought experience through either playing or coaching would be paramount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,566 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

the_monkey wrote: »
    Nadal to win Wimbledon zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Done deal

I wouldnt say its a done deal,its probably the hardest slam for him to win .

I would really like to see them speed up the courts at Wimbledon to see how Nadal would cope on a truly fast surface .
    The homogenisation of court speeds is making the mens game boring and predicatable .

I would really like to see them speed up the courts at Wimbledon to see how Nadal would cope on a truly fast surface .
    The homogenisation of court speeds is making the mens game boring and predicatable .
    I think he'd cope just fine, the problem is that there are no longer the players around who could take advantage of the faster court. 90% would still do nothing but trade ground strokes anyway.

Reversing the changes wouldn't have much impact imo. Maybe Federer could make the most of it, but he's on the way out.

Would be great to see some of the younger players throwing in a bit of serve and volley! Just to mix it up.....everyone stays at the baseline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,566 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Henry9 wrote: »
    I think he'd cope just fine, the problem is that there are no longer the players around who could take advantage of the faster court. 90% would still do nothing but trade ground strokes anyway.

Reversing the changes wouldn't have much impact imo. Maybe Federer could make the most of it, but he's on the way out.

I think Nadal would struggle just as he struggles on a fast indoor court .
    Federer bagelled him a few years ago on a fast indoor court in London ,a court that the ATP have slowed considerably since partly due to pressure from a certain Spanish player .;)

I'll agree with you though that the homogenisation of the courts has eliminated the serve volley type player and even the aggressive flair player .

If the courts were sped up though players would adapt their games for the faster surfaces and we would see more contrast in styles and more aggressive tennis instead of largely defensive tennis.

I think Nadal would struggle just as he struggles on a fast indoor court .
    Federer bagelled him a few years ago on a fast indoor court in London ,a court that the ATP have slowed considerably since partly due to pressure from a certain Spanish player .;)

Not disagreeing with your overall points but Nadal was ill that year in London. He had to run off the court to be sick at one point. I don't really read too much into that score line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

RosyLily wrote: »
    Would be great to see some of the younger players throwing in a bit of serve and volley! Just to mix it up.....everyone stays at the baseline.

To me this is starting to change, more of the players are getting in and volleying. Just look at the french open this year and the amount of players getting into the net to put away the volleys.

It would be great if they had different variations at each of slams to test each players skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Hopefully the bbc get her for their Wimbledon coverage.

Really hope they get Lindsay Davenport back for Wimbledon on the BBC. I thought she was great last year, really knows her stuff.

Really hope they get Lindsay Davenport back for Wimbledon on the BBC. I thought she was great last year, really knows her stuff.

+1! Really enjoyed Lindsay last year. She's a great addition to the team.

I wonder will Boris be back or will they get someone to replace him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

She's brilliant, isn't she ? Love listening to her - does her research, has a fantastic knowledge of most of the players and is a great broadcaster. Luckily the BBC rate her as highly as we do as she has done the women's singles final for the last two years.

Marion Bartoli is also joining the BBC which is great news as I thought she was fantastic at Roland Garros for ITV. Laura Robson will also be involved as she's injured.

RosyLily wrote: »
    I wonder will Boris be back or will they get someone to replace him?

No, his commitments to coaching Djokovic mean that he has decided not to return. Jimmy Connors is back although I don't know if he'll directly replace Boris and be part of the commentary team for the final.

Apart from Jimmy, Marion and Laura, it's mostly the usuals. Brilliant line-up overall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/wimbledon2014/tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

smurfs5 wrote: »
    She's brilliant, isn't she ? Love listening to her - does her research, has a fantastic knowledge of most of the players and is a great broadcaster. Luckily the BBC rate her as highly as we do as she has done the women's singles final for the last two years.

She's great. I feel like I'm actually learning something with her commentary. She just knows the game inside out.

She's great. I feel like I'm actually learning something with her commentary. She just knows the game inside out.

She doesn't fill the air time with random things that the players tweeted during the week, which in this current age of terrible commentators is a joy.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Vika will be making her comeback at Eastbourne, surprisingly. I wasn't expecting her back so soon.

• Advertisement

Vika will be making her comeback at Eastbourne, surprisingly. I wasn't expecting her back so soon.

Makes sense. Couple of matches at Eastbourne, couple of matches at Wimbledon. Few weeks off again, then onto the hard court for a proper comeback.

Is Djokovic not playing any grass court tournaments before Wimbledon? He is not at Queens or Halle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I just stuck €40 on Nadal to win wimbledon at 9/2 .... Money in the bank!!!

couldn't believe the odds...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Brown playing devastating stuff against Nadal at the moment. Can't handle him. Serving for the match.

Fantastic win for Brown! And Murray was knocked out of Queens by Stepanek.

Is Djokovic not playing any grass court tournaments before Wimbledon? He is not at Queens or Halle.

I'm not sure he ever plays a tournament before Wimbledon, does he? I usually plays one of the exhibition things right before it, Boodles, is it?

Yeah, Djokovic usually plays Boodles instead of Queens or Halle.

Rally for Bally is on Sunday. 3 exhibition matches at Queens, Edgbaston and Eastbourne. Loads of players signed up for it- Murray, Bartoli, Navratilova, Kvitova, Radwanska to name but a few. A 4th player is tba for Queens. Would be great if it was Davenport or another big name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Boodles is very easy going, not sure its ideal preparation for a Slam, but heh Novak knows best.

A few rumours doing the rounds that he's getting married this weekend. Don't know if there's any truth in them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Shooosh

the_monkey wrote: »
    I just stuck €40 on Nadal to win wimbledon at 9/2 .... Money in the bank!!!

couldn't believe the odds...

If he gets to the second week he'd be near favourite as the surface is basically green clay then. I preduct another early loss for him. It's hard to make a case for Nadal as the GOAT when he can barely beat nobodys on real grass in his prime.

Advertisement