Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

RosyLily wrote: »
    Li is hoping to be back for Wuhan and Beijing. Long stint off.

Or she's planning on retiring and wants to wrap it up at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Or she's planning on retiring and wants to wrap it up at home?

Never thought of that. Quite a possibility! She's already done loads for tennis in China and made millions to boot...why not retire young and enjoy the fruits of the labour!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

With Li now out and Vika in very questionable form, Sharapova has one of her best shots in years of winning in NY. Difficult to see Serena losing though, even with how she's played at the slams this year.

Anyone know why Simona Halep isn't on the entry list for Montréal?

Never thought of that. Quite a possibility! She's already done loads for tennis in China and made millions to boot...why not retire young and enjoy the fruits of the labour!

Isn't she 31/32 now? Not that young.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I hope she doesn't retire anyway, she's still got some good tennis left in her. She can definitely win another title in Melbourne.

• Advertisement

Wozniacki will be running the NYC marathon in November. Money raised will go to a children's charity

26.2 miles? Better you than me Caro!

Raonic beat Pospisil 6-1, 6-4 in the first ever all-Canadian ATP final. Milos will climb to 6th in the rankings tomorrow. Nicely placed for the US Open. I expect him to reach the QFs at Flushing, maybe better depending on his draw.

Kerber was up 5-1 on Serena and managed to lose the 1st set 7-6.

:rolleyes: Oh Angie!!

:rolleyes: Oh Angie!!

She must be the worst person in finals ever, she is abysmal.

• Advertisement

12 WTA finals, 3 wins. 6 of the losses were 3 setters...and she won the 1st set in a few of them.

Ouch.

Good to see Serena back winning, although her form outside the slams was never a problem this year. Remains to be seen if she'll bring it to NY. I think she will though.

Kuznetsova wins Washington. Watch her win the US Open now! :pac: Joking aside, I'd love her to have one last glorious run before it's all over, and NY would be the perfect place to do that. She arguably has the most attractive game to watch when it's in full flow. Particularly in the first set of this match with Azarenka, just a sublime mix of power, finesse and variety.

Defending finalist points, Sorana Cirstea bombs out in the very first round of the Rogers Cup. She falls to eighty in the rankings! I knew she'd been playing poorly all year but I didn't know she'd fall that low.

Defending finalist points, Sorana Cirstea bombs out in the very first round of the Rogers Cup. She falls to eighty in the rankings! I knew she'd been playing poorly all year but I didn't know she'd fall that low.

These kinds of massive ranking drops just go to show how impressive those who manage to stick around the top 10 for years are. It's relatively easy to climb the rankings, a good run one week here and there and you'll jump quite a few spots. It's consistency that counts though. Losing all the points from 1 tournament wouldn't have that big an impact on your ranking if you'd done anything else worthwhile the rest of the year.

Bouchard just got bageled in the first set by Shelby Rogers. I'd be gutted for her if she didn't pull it together in front of her home crowd. She looked so out of sorts in that opening set, told her coach during a changeover that she wanted to get off the court.

Well... she pulled it together for the 2nd set, then got bageled again in the 3rd. What a horrible result, the poor crowd were to excited to see her play and they were so deflated by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Murray vs Kygrios should be interesting this afternoon. Very hard to call this game at the moment Murray hasnt be right since coming back the Kygrios is on a good roll at the moment. The other big match is Djokovic vs Monfils, I would expect Djokovic to win this in 2 sets but it you never know what Monfils will turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Floppybits wrote: »
    Murray vs Kygrios should be interesting this afternoon. Very hard to call this game at the moment Murray hasnt be right since coming back the Kygrios is on a good roll at the moment. The other big match is Djokovic vs Monfils, I would expect Djokovic to win this in 2 sets but it you never know what Monfils will turn up.

Very interesting to see Kygrios now - suddenly he ain't unknown, pressure will be different.

Djoko in straight sets - no belief/trust in Monfils.

Azarenka managed to see off Cornet last night in Montreal but she rolled her ankle and at one point had what seemed like the entire medical supply of bandages on her knee. Not sure she was wise playing on after that. May have done more harm than good.

Very interesting to see Kygrios now - suddenly he ain't unknown, pressure will be different.

Djoko in straight sets - no belief/trust in Monfils.

I think Murray will win, he will grind him down and force him into making mistakes and going for too much.

Agree on Djoko, straight sets but Monfils antics on the court will make it entertaining. :D

• Advertisement

I think Murray will win, he will grind him down and force him into making mistakes and going for too much.

Agree on Djoko, straight sets but Monfils antics on the court will make it entertaining. :D

We are both agrees so :) I just want to see if the Aussie lad is a flash in the pan or does he play well today. I think he will lose but still interesting to see how he plays today and over next few weeks. I just find people in sport always jump the fun with new people in the game and predict too much too soon.

I've being hearing about the end of the big 4 now in tennis for about 2/3 years....

Weird defeat for Genie. Interesting to see she admitted feeling the pressure. Perhaps the wannabe ice-queen isn't as tough as she's trying to make out! Good win for Vika, Cornet is a quality opponent.

Kyrgios-Murray should be interesting, this is the first tournament for Nick since Wimbledon isn't it?

Murray just destroyed Kyrgios 6-2, 6-2. Murray just lost a point on his first serve.

Murray just destroyed Kyrgios 6-2, 6-2. Murray just lost a point on his first serve.

Cheers.

This is just so typical and a reality check for most pundits who claimed this was the new star of tennis. Now I am not saying he won't be but let's keep it in check people!

Cheers.

This is just so typical and a reality check for most pundits who claimed this was the new star of tennis. Now I am not saying he won't be but let's keep it in check people!

Agreed, we'll need to see a lot more from Nick to determine whether or not he's the real deal. Still, he has only just turned 19, so for the moment the signs are looking good!

Yeah, some commentators do go OTT when a young player beats one of the established crowd. "A star in the making!" "Future Grand Slam champion!!" Calm down, they've just won one match.

Kyrgios is still young though. Judging by his huge serve, he'll probably do alright on hard courts and grass.

Heather Watson has taken the 1st set against Cibulkova 6-2.

Weird defeat for Genie. Interesting to see she admitted feeling the pressure. Perhaps the wannabe ice-queen isn't as tough as she's trying to make out! Good win for Vika, Cornet is a quality opponent.

I feel bad for her though. I won't hide the fact that I'm a fan of hers but that aside the attention she's been getting has been ridiculous. The WTA have gone way overboard with how they've pushed her as a brand already and although you can understand Tennis Canada getting a bit excited they've just heaped so much pressure on her. I know she talks the talk but it's like they've forgotten this is only her second full season on the senior tour. I know all the players have certain media obligations but I'd love to see her take a step back from the media and promotion side of things and tell the WTA to calm down a bit. I saw a rumour today that the WTA are going to pay to fly some of the "Genie Army" to Singapore for the YEC's in October. It's just gotten out of hand at this point.

^ Saw that on Twitter too, would be ridiculous if true. Genie can't complain about how much they've been pushing her though, she's as guilty of it as they are.

You're right though, a step back from the spotlight and focusing primarily on her tennis would probably do her good.

Heather Watson has let a set and 4-0 lead on Cibulkova slip, now 5-5 second set.

• Advertisement

^ Saw that on Twitter too, would be ridiculous if true. Genie can't complain about how much they've been pushing her though, she's as guilty of it as they are.

You're right though, a step back from the spotlight and focusing primarily on her tennis would probably do her good.

I don't know how much say players have in that kind of thing though. I know when they sign their own sponsorship deals with watch companies or other brands that's all them but how much say do they have in how the WTA or ATP uses their name or image to promote themselves? If it doesn't physically involve the player do they need their permission?

Advertisement