Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Wawrinka is playing so well at Queens. He is definitely a massive contender at Wimbledon. Would love to see him or Murray win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

WaterLily. wrote: »
    Wawrinka is playing so well at Queens. He is definitely a massive contender at Wimbledon. Would love to see him or Murray win it.

He was really impressive and if he can get past Dimitrov and Lopez (two tricky grass court players), a win at Queens could set him up beautifully for a deep run at SW19. I feel like the stars are aligning for him to do himself justice at Wimbledon this year. I'd love to see him do it- I can see him getting Lisicki-type support because of his personality and attractive style of play. A Murray- Stan final would be fantastic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They just showed a short piece about Elena Baltacha on BBC's Queens coverage. Speaking to her husband which was very emotional, obviously, but he said that in the whole 8 years they worked together the longest period without pain she had was 3 weeks. Was on tablets for her liver, her back and her ankles, some days she couldn't even move the pain was so bad. It's actually pretty incredible she was as successful as she was with all the problems she had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Fed wins Halle, title no. 79

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

So Eurosport and the BBC decide to show coverage of Halle and Queens all week until the final day, when neither of them decide to show it. :confused: The BBC preferred to show a GAA match instead (I know it's on now but two sets are already finished).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

pconn062 wrote: »
    So Eurosport and the BBC decide to show coverage of Halle and Queens all week until the final day, when neither of them decide to show it. :confused: The BBC preferred to show a GAA match instead (I know it's on now but two sets are already finished).

Great match though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Queens final sounded like a great match!! Hopefully it'll be on youtube during the week. Lovely touch from Dimitrov, giving his racquet to Chris Kermode. Hard luck to Feli.

BT sport was showing the Rally for Bally (not sure if it was Eastbourne or Edgbaston) and people were giving out on twitter about tech faults and them going to athletics instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I watched the full Queen's final on BBC?

Brilliant match, felt quite bad for Lopez, if he hadn't mucked up one easy forehand he would have won it but Dimitrov played incredibly well. I think, for the first time he's shown that he has the mental toughness as well as the natural talent.
    Nobody will want to face either of those two at Wimbledon!

BBC were supposed to show some of the one from Queens but I guess the final went on longer than they expected. They've put it on the red button instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

BBC were supposed to show some of the one from Queens but I guess the final went on longer than they expected. They've put it on the red button instead.

I thought it wasn't starting until 4pm, but when I put it on it was in the middle of the 2nd set tiebreak. Didn't know it was on the red button.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    I thought it wasn't starting until 4pm, but when I put it on it was in the middle of the 2nd set tiebreak. Didn't know it was on the red button.

I think it was just BBC NI that were showing the GAA, the tennis was on the HD channel.

You can watch the Queens Rally4 Bally on youtube.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kA829DVc0w

Stream is after improving in the past few minutes. Was really dodgy and slow when I first flicked over. Pretty good match! They auctioned off their racquets at Edgbaston...probably do the same here.

Just noticed, James Keothavong in the chair.:)

Laura Robson is still rocking a pretty serious brace/support thing on her wrist/arm.

Wimbledon Qualifiers draw is out. Two Irish players in there. McGee and Sorensen. Both play seeded players in R1.

http://t.co/7tjmhlnjnH

Yeah, Laura mentioned she'll only be hitting sponge balls in a few months. She'll probably be back in action a month or 2 after Delpo.

Pity there's not more people at it.

That kid in the glasses and blue jacket is pretty good!!

Some bitching moon balls from the kids!:D

RosyLily wrote: »
    Pity there's not more people at it.

Queens always strikes me as one of those social calendar events. Everyone is always so dressed up and fancy looking, you'd question how many of them are actually tennis fans and how many go to say they've been to Queens.

^ Yeah, the crowd always looks fierce posh. Maybe it is one of those events to be seen at in the summer. Way more posh than Wimby!

Vika winning a few more fans here. She's good fun!

Yes, usually Vika's attempts at humour fall flat, who'd have thunk the British crowd would get her?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

What will the coverage be like this year what with the World Cup going on? Is there going to be coverage all day every day of the tournament on the BBC? Are the BBC covering the World Cup too?

BBC are covering the WC but they haven't got every match. Tennis will probably switch between BBC1 and 2, or maybe go onto the red button.

With the time difference too the tennis may not be finished by the time the football starts.

I'm sure the BBC and Wimbledon will have something sorted already. The tourney is ridiculously organised, I swear my mother runs it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

RosyLily wrote: »
    ^ Yeah, the crowd always looks fierce posh. Maybe it is one of those events to be seen at in the summer. Way more posh than Wimby!

Vika winning a few more fans here. She's good fun!

Boodles is much posher, anyone on under 150 k a year supposedly gets thrown out and told to never come back:eek:

As a mod you don't need to worry though:pac:

This is touching btw.:)

BqK14UXIIAAnpMy.jpg

BqKmZTHIEAA6jtK.jpg

Robson confirmed to BBC today that she's not playing the US Open. I wonder if we'll see her at all this year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Queens always strikes me as one of those social calendar events. Everyone is always so dressed up and fancy looking, you'd question how many of them are actually tennis fans and how many go to say they've been to Queens.

Apparently the prices are extortionate as well, first round tickets can cost as much as some Masters 1000 finals :rolleyes:
    Wimbledon Qualifiers draw is out. Two Irish players in there. McGee and Sorensen. Both play seeded players in R1.

http://t.co/7tjmhlnjnH
    I'd say Sorensen hasn't a hope, but James could well be in with a chance.
    Robson confirmed to BBC today that she's not playing the US Open. I wonder if we'll see her at all this year.

What a shame. It'd definitely be worth her time trying to make it back for the Asian swing though. Lots of points to be gained where the fields aren't usually as strong.

I hope when she comes back it'll be the last of her major injury worries. Would be great if she could nip it in the bud now rather than soldier on for years like Delpo did, which proved futile.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Boodles is much posher, anyone on under 150 k a year supposedly gets thrown out and told to never come back:eek:

As a mod you don't need to worry though:pac:

Exactly! I just tell them I'm a mod and it's VIP all the way!:P

Sorensen is going well, won first set 6-2. McGee was just broken and Bedene is serving for the first set at 5-4.

James lost :( Such a shame. Sorensen is in a 3rd set now.

• Advertisement

Michaella Krajicek got engaged to fellow player Martin Emmerich. He proposed after her match at s-hertogenbosch.

Link for anyone interested. One woman in the stands near the end of the vid does not look impressed!!:pac:

Advertisement