Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wimbledon increase their prize money by more than 10%. Ridiculous. Why not give more money to the guys on the challenger/futures tour?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Wimbledon increase their prize money by more than 10%. Ridiculous. Why not give more money to the guys on the challenger/futures tour?

The Grand Slams are separate to the tour events. The guys running Wimbledon have nothing to do with the challengers or futures.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh. Ok. Still, I just hate the rich getting richer when the guys lower down can barely break even.

Oh. Ok. Still, I just hate the rich getting richer when the guys lower down can barely break even.

Well they have spread the increase out so the guys losing the early rounds and even in qualifiers will get a bit more than they did before. It's the best they can do really.

Yay, McGee has made the cut for RG qualies :)

Meanwhile, Richard Williams has got a book coming out. I'd say it'd be a good read, if not entirely factual.

• Advertisement

Yay, McGee has made the cut for RG qualies :)

Meanwhile, Richard Williams has got a book coming out. I'd say it'd be a good read, if not entirely factual.

I saw someone mention that book and said it was mostly about his own life growing up and had very little about pro tennis in it.

Djokovic is now out of Madrid.

Very sad news about Elena Baltacha. She lost her battle with liver cancer this morning. Only diagnosed a few months ago. 30 years of age, so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Very sad news about Elena Baltacha. She lost her battle with liver cancer this morning. Only diagnosed a few months ago. 30 years of age, so sad.

Yeah just say it there. Jesus cancer is an awful **** of a disease and thirty is no age to die. RIP

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

She only finished playing last year, and to be taken so young is just tragic.

• Advertisement

Worrying times for Novak. I sincerely doubt he can win RG now. Hope it's not another Nadal stroll to the trophy.

Pleasantly surprised Sharapova won so easily against Koukalova.

Oh my good god. That's devastating news. Absolutely horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Such a shock! She was only diagnosed a few months ago. I seen her play at Wimbledon a few years back - she fought til the very end of the match as I'm sure she did in life. Really wish Elena got to spend time enjoying retirement with her husband.

Just awful. RIP Bally

The diagnosis was only made public less than two months ago. She didn't even live to see the 'Rally for Bally', due to be held on June 15th. Truly sobering news, and absolutely horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Wrist injuries are pretty serious, look at Del Potro - career over over a wrist injury.

I fear the same for Novak - :(

Mind you, I predicted months ago that the Australian Open 2013 would be (IS) his last slam .

Shame ..

Federer has pulled out of Madrid to be with Mirka before the birth. She's due very soon apparently. Might throw some doubt over Fed's French Open.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Federer has pulled out of Madrid to be with Mirka before the birth. She's due very soon apparently. Might throw some doubt over Fed's French Open.

Oh no ... Cos he doesn't have enough slams allready ??

who the hell is he doing it for now anyway ?

He has 2 kids and a 3rd about to arrive ... spend some time with your family man and stop having some maid bring up your kids...

He plays because he loves the game. He's said it countless times in interviews.

He plays because he loves the game. He's said it countless times in interviews.

So did Sampras , but he quit while on top and with a baby boy to spend time with .
    Federer and his wife are selfish , sure the wife is always at his matches - who's bringing up their kids ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

will you ever just p*ss off :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Twins Leo and Lenny born this evening. Now they have 4 kids to neglect. :)

the_monkey wrote: »
    So did Sampras , but he quit while on top and with a baby boy to spend time with .
    Federer and his wife are selfish , sure the wife is always at his matches - who's bringing up their kids ?

You know absolutely nothing about their childcare arrangements so stop talking crap

Flowers and balloons are on the way to the Federers, courtesy of all on the forum. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Mayweather vs Maidana

There's gonna be some serious Federer tennis domination in 20 years time. Singles, doubles, mixed doubles!

:)

10246318_10152439454678615_5808568983775888707_n.jpg

Imagine!! Anyone taking bets on at least one of the Federer Four winning a GS?:pac:

You never know though, their kids mightn't get involved in tennis at all. Sure didn't Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi pointedly ensure their kids didn't get involved in tennis? It's fun to speculate all the same.

You never know though, their kids mightn't get involved in tennis at all. Sure didn't Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi pointedly ensure their kids didn't get involved in tennis? It's fun to speculate all the same.

I would love to see if the Graf-assi kids can play.

Tragic story: James Blake's home in Florida burnt to the ground; 3 bodies were found inside. Blake was not inside the house. Rumour has it, they died from gunshot wounds to the head and a 4th victim is unconfirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Tragic story: James Blake's home in Florida burnt to the ground; 3 bodies were found inside. Blake was not inside the house. Rumour has it, they died from gunshot wounds to the head and a 4th victim is unconfirmed.

WTF?????

Advertisement