Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Approaching

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

AerynSun wrote: »
    Nice bit of wind picking up in Dublin, windows rattling like they're auditioning for a percussion part in Holst's The Planets - say if things keep up with this level of commitment, these windows could even do for the crescendo in the Mars: Bringer of War movement of the opus. But sure there's still some work needs doing before they be ready for that now, they needn't get ahead of themselves :)

So, it's windy?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The wind is howling here just outside Enniskillen. Very stormy!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭AerynSun

So, it's windy?

I don't think so, no. Say them windows just decided it was enough of the rich Christmas food and they needed a bit of a workout, so putting in some elbow grease and rattling away to give the impression the weather is getting rough out, when it's nowhere like Donegal out there. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

UCDVet wrote: »
    Lucky me - I'll be riding my bicycle into work tomorrow :(

Grrr

You can write in cycling forum tomorrow about your experience of beng a man.

But in all fairness be careful tomorrow if it seems 2 bad call a taxi I know it costs a lot but better to get to work safely than not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So apparently and this may be an understatement, but we're in for quite the storm... stay safe everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

beano345 wrote: »
    Im beside the sea too and its pure evil outside

We would be warm below the storm
    In our little hideaway beneath the waves
    Resting our head on the sea bed
    In an octopus's garden near a cave

We would sing and dance around
    Because we know we can't be found
    I'd like to be under the sea
    In an octopus's garden in the shade

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'm shitting myself. The wind terrifies me, so it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Just seen a ginger streak fly past the window 5 minutes ago, hopefully was next doors cat.

Great drying out though (apart from it raining and all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

. On another note, my mates sister was driving up from Cork last weekend and got blown off the road, over the crash barrier and down the embankment. And it was less windierish than now. If you're driving, think heavy thoughts -better still, avoid driving, there just has to be trees deciding today is the day they fall over. Not a night for travveling.

I hope your friends sister is doing well.

There was another tradegy like this last week. A car was travelling down the motorway and got blown over onto the other side and into an oncoming car. A child was injured. It was on the news yesterday that the child died. 5 years old she was. The family are from Galway.

R.I.P.

If any of her family are on boards and reading this, I'd like to offer my deepest condolences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

you can click and drag the globe in this link so you can see how close the storm is.. it hasn't hit us yet.

Link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

you can click and drag the globe in this link so you can see how close the storm is.. it hasn't hit us yet.

Link
    not if you're using ie7 you can't.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

Link

Things are very wet and windy where I am - in Galway. Its bad out now as it is but its supposed to peak later tonight and in the early hours of the morning.

Link

Great link. Jainey - wind speeds of up to 127km/h in the middle of the red bit, hopefully those don't make landfall...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Check on flightradar24 app.

There are 2 planes making odd approaches to Dublin.

Hopefully they will make it.

Both are Ryanair, they are probably running on vapours!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The storm may be the least of your troubles...

Looks like 2 x Ryanair flights headed for Cork have abandoned their approach.

They are now heading north.

As a poor flyer I feel for the passengers & crew!

We don't get that many southerly gales, usually from the west or North- lately we've had a few southerlies which is unusual imo - that's a bad wind direction for Dublin airport as it's a crosswind - or am I getting that ar5eways? I think I'm right though. Having landed in a raging tropical storm with severe cross-winds just the once, I'm feeling for those passengers. The twenty foot drops followed by massive upsurges tested my sphincter pretty thoroughly..

Your correct.

Normally arrivals land east -> west... Landing into the normal westerly winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

To be confirmed, but my usual reliable sources, and the waiting time these panes tend to adopt as other "normal" planes do, they are carrying more than the minimum regulations.

Thanks to spotters like you too who added weight to recent denials. And thanks for that as my son and his family fly with them regularly, I had my own serious concerns.

THANKS SPOTTERS ALL. It HAS made a difference. And this is totally above AH TBH,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Oh ffs. Over dramatic a bit no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Update much? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jasonleary

god help the poor people who have to sleep rough these past few nights !

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Oh ffs. Over dramatic a bit no

Don't know about that now. Have a look at: Airwaves Ireland

Shows 42 planes in the sky - coming in from Denmark, Germany, the UK (a few!), but once the planes get near Dublin Airport they get turned around and are now being traced as "Route not known", which means they can't land in Dublin. This could get hairy, once those other incoming flights also get turned away and join the "Route not known" crowd...

The two that are currently "Route not known" look like they're circling back around for another shot at Dublin...

Deank wrote: »
    Update much? :rolleyes:
    We're not all plugged into the latest tech like you Dean. My Amstrad 64 strugles with ie7..

o.k, I'm too lazy to close ie7 down and open chrome which is running ie8 or 9 or whatever, log in again etc etc. shoot me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The story about Ryanair cutting corners was started by the Spanish looking to pick a fight, got picked up by the Daily Mail and the British rags and I see it's in AH now

Ryanair has a superb safety record and are not reckless with fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

We're not all plugged into the latest tech like you Dean. My Amstrad 64 strugles with ie7..

o.k, I'm too lazy to close ie7 down and open chrome which is running ie8 or 9 or whatever, log in again etc etc. shoot me.

:D

Update, download, reboot, simple. ;)

Laziness is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Red Nissan wrote: »
    To be confirmed, but my usual reliable sources, and the waiting time these panes tend to adopt as other "normal" planes do, they are carrying more than the minimum regulations.

Thanks to spotters like you too who added weight to recent denials. And thanks for that as my son and his family fly with them regularly, I had my own serious concerns.

THANKS SPOTTERS ALL. It HAS made a difference. And this is totally above AH TBH,

Lol

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Lol
    LOL wut? splain pls. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

When Dougal has a hard time comprehending you, you know your in trouble.

• Advertisement

Seems that all Cork bound flights are diverting to Shannon.

A few have successfully landed.

The Vilnius - Cork flight is about to attempt.

I picked a hell of a night to stop sniffing glue.

Advertisement