Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Approaching

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

RAININ SIDEWAYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

they are a very serious bunch altogether on the weather forum. They know their stuff but my god that thread is policed like a USA border crossing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I've just heard they've taken the roads in. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

RAININ SIDEWAYS!

Would you like someone to bring you some chunky soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

P_1 wrote: »
    Would you like someone to bring you some chunky soup?

UMBRELLA INSIDE OUT 2 MILES AWAY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Eight Ball wrote: »
    FFS it's just a bit of wind. Talk about drama queens over on the weather forum.

The storm is out a good bit yet, will hit about 12am and peak around 6am and will be bad for hours after!
    That's what I gather from the weather forum, I'm a lurker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I like to read the weather forum. They are usually accurate. Weather warnings are not made for the fun of it. They are there to warn people and for people to prepare like by having candles, camping gas, tie things down outside, things like that.

I know some people heading out tonight. IMO its ridiculous. Its too windy and stormy and dangerous. Me, I'm booked for babysitting and dreading it. I'd rather stay in at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 EdwardCastle

Don't tempt faith.

This is the storm of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Mike65 reports from Clonakilty that it's currently getting battered - I can't think of a better punishment for Cork's support of the Act of Union to have Clonakilty destroyed and its inhabitants scattered to Rathlin Island.

How old are you, 150, and a grand memory yous still have, how about Innishannon? a Tsunami devastated that place you may be pleased to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

better batten down the hatches cancel the milk and put the cat out

• Advertisement

Newsflash!

Cat seen fly through sky.

We are all going to die :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Confirmed extreme storm development, 16.7 mb pressure drop in three hours at K4 buoy (outer Donegal Bay), satellite imagery now showing a clearer centre Continue to stress potential for extreme wind gusts and storm surge.

I've only seen pressure falls this large with one storm, the Great Lakes superstorm of 26-01-1978 which is sometimes called the Cleveland Superbomb. That one produced wind gusts to 170 km/hr .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Jesus, good luck to me walking home locked in that :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Villain wrote: »
    LOL they will all be laughing at people with no power tomorrow and damage all over the place panicking when they can't post silly comments to After Hours :P

Android phone :cool: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Android phone :cool: :D

Assuming the mobile mast is still there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

pretty bad out there now where I am... if this is only the start, its going to be like a hurricane.

Villain wrote: »
    Assuming the mobile mast is still there :P

It will be :D I predict the sun will also rise tomorrow. Sky news may differ.

Not if the Earth stops rotating.

Not if the Earth stops rotating.

Ara sure tis gona blow the green off the maps so tis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

satellite dish just got blown of our house! im a 100 meters away from the sea and to be honest it sounds like a jet engine out there :eek: but the fire lit the electricity is still on :) but for how long place your bets ?

• Advertisement

satellite dish just got blown of our house! im a 100 meters away from the sea and to be honest it sounds like a jet engine out there :eek: but the fire lit the electricity is still on :) but for how long place your bets ?

This is after hours, you are expected to laugh at the storm, miss post? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

pretty bad out there now where I am... if this is only the start, its going to be like a hurricane.

It will be nothing like a hurricane. We have no idea what bad weather is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

* Shakes Eight Ball* Will it snow, oh wise one, will it snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭AerynSun

Nice bit of wind picking up in Dublin, windows rattling like they're auditioning for a percussion part in Holst's The Planets - say if things keep up with this level of commitment, these windows could even do for the crescendo in the Mars: Bringer of War movement of the opus. But sure there's still some work needs doing before they be ready for that now, they needn't get ahead of themselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

By Irish standards this is severe, Not really relevant to say other places get worse. I am sure we are all aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

The storms especially on the western seaboards in Ireland can be extremely severe and especially off the north-west coast...in particular Tory island.

There have been hurricance force winds recorded on many an occasion in Ireland in coastal areas and if we had a big population like that of Britain and France we would be be counting hundreds of deaths as a result. These areas in Ireland are very sparsely populated hence little loss of life (fortunately!!).

In fact the most severe storm I have ever witnessed was in Ireland in the mid 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

There are few countries in Europe that get wind speeds to compete with those on the west coast of Ireland...Brittany and western Scotland get very similar wind speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Take down the mizen and lash the foresail ya slovenly heathens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Im beside the sea too and its pure evil outside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

The Dog doesn't read AH as much as I do and decided it wanted it's walk. Being a red setter, it is fairly dim and appears not to be able to perceive "bit rough for a walk". In the interests of not picking up poo off the rug, I donned my christmas hat and puffa jacket and did the usual circuit of the Facker back 20. It's quite windy out. If it gets windier, there's a good chance bits of the house might dislocate. Which is not good. I feckin hate wind.

On another note, my mates sister was driving up from Cork last weekend and got blown off the road, over the crash barrier and down the embankment. And it was less windierish than now. If you're driving, think heavy thoughts -better still, avoid driving, there just has to be trees deciding today is the day they fall over. Not a night for travveling.

Advertisement