Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Me too its a shame he will be at the back of the grid though I am crossing my fingers that the Caterham will be a better package this year.

They might do. Using Toyota's wind tunnel with 60% models for the first time, so development may improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

_rebelkid wrote: »
    They might do. Using Toyota's wind tunnel with 60% models for the first time, so development may improve.

Development has to improve. If you use a wind tunnel you are immediately at an advantage. If they don't improve I would be very very surprised.

So here we have it, the 2014 Grid is complete:
    Red Bull-Renault:
    Sebastian Vettel, Daniel Ricciardo
    Mercedes:
    Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg
    Ferrari:
    Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen
    Lotus-Renault:
    Romain Grosjean, Pastor Maldonado
    McLaren-Mercedes:
    Jenson Button, Kevin Magnussen
    Force India-Mercedes:
    Nico Hulkenberg, Sergio Perez
    Sauber-Ferrari:
    Adrian Sutil, Esteban Gutierrez
    Toro Rosso-Renault:
    Jean-Eric Vergne Daniil Kvyat
    Williams-Mercedes:
    Felipe Massa, Valtteri Bottas
    Marussia-Ferrari:
    Jules Bianchi, Max Chilton
    Caterham-Renault:
    Kamui Kobayashi, Marcus Ericsson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

11811 wrote: »
    Kamui and Ericsonn just confirmed there for Caterham. Good to see Kamui back! :)
    https://twitter.com/jenniegow/status/425576247989522432

Delighted

6-Monaco-Kamui-Kobayashi-Sauber_2860568.jpg

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Delighted

6-Monaco-Kamui-Kobayashi-Sauber_2860568.jpg

Thats a great photo! Oh the memories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Me too its a shame he will be at the back of the grid though I am crossing my fingers that the Caterham will be a better package this year.

I still think they will finish in one of the last two spots in the constructors again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Now the grid is complete...let's get some car launches!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I still think they will finish in one of the last two spots in the constructors again this year.

Heres an interesting quote that's pretty relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Heres an interesting quote that's pretty relevant.

Interesting, But incredibly annoying reading all the responses to that tweet, comments such as "bye bye then" and "you've been nothing but a let-down".

The majority of those fcuking Twitter monkeys probably can't even wipe their own arses properly, let alone have any idea whatsoever about how to establish and run a Formula 1 team. So flippant :mad:

I've always maintained that even drivers at the very back of the grid are still world class, how do people think they even got there in the first place?

But compared to truly exceptional talent further up the grid, they are all but forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

SamAK wrote: »

I've always maintained that even drivers at the very back of the grid are still world class, how do people think they even got there in the first place?

I wouldn't consider Chilton world class, a solid performer at GP2/GP3 level but not in the top 100 race drivers in the world in my humble opinion. Whether or not being in the top 200 in the world qualifies as world class I'm not so sure. Still a fine achievement but only made possible by a wealthy father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

McLaren will not announce a new title sponsor when their 2014 car is launched
    http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/9127083/
    McLaren have confirmed that they will not announce a new title sponsor when their 2014 car is launched on Friday, although they have claimed to possess their biggest-ever budget.

Speaking in an interview, McLaren Managing Director Jonathan Neale said that the unveiling of the MP4-29 chassis will not be accompanied by any new major backing as had been expected.

Instead, Neale stressed that the team are in a strong financial position owing to a string of long-term sponsors, including Hugo Boss, Tag Heuer and Hilton, as well as the desire of McLaren shareholders to re-invest profits rather than take dividends.

He also claimed that McLaren's budget for the 2014 season, when F1 undergoes a major technical shake-up, will be the largest in their history.

The Woking team announced in March last year that they would part ways with Vodafone, their title sponsor since 2007, at the end of the 2013 season.

At the time, they promised an "exciting announcement" in December but none was forthcoming - the anticipation being that a replacement would instead be revealed along with the new car on January 24.

Yet with that not now being the case, the obvious conclusion to draw is that McLaren will be without a title sponsor for the first time since the 2006 season.

Sky Sports understands that a new logo could yet appear on the cars to be raced this season by Jenson Button and rookie Kevin Magnussen. It's more likely, however, that the team will go without a title sponsor until 2015.

With McLaren re-forging their links with Honda in 2015, speculation has suggested a tie-up with Sony.

Are F1 teams ready for 2014?
    The news comes just a few days after Ron Dennis was re-appointed as the McLaren Group's CEO. The long-time Team Principal has promised to "write an exciting new chapter in the story of McLaren, beginning by improving our on-track and off-track performance" and sponsorship procurement will form part of his review.

Dennis's return comes after one of the most difficult seasons in McLaren's history and has also thrown into doubt the future of current team boss Martin Whitmarsh.

However, amid concerns that their new car might not be ready in time for pre-season testing, McLaren confirmed on Tuesday that their car has passed the FIA's series of mandatory crash tests ahead of next week's anticipated debut at Jerez.

If its a case that the team are indeed waiting until 2015 to unveil their new engine, sponsor and (probably) new livery, isn't this the perfect opportunity for them to run for one season with the orange livery. However I dont expect that to happen unfortunately. But if it doesnt happen now when they wont have a title sponsor and are on the verge of ending their partnership with Mercedes then I can't ever see McLaren racing in their orange livery again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Bugatti wrote: »
    If its a case that the team are indeed waiting until 2015 to unveil their new engine, sponsor and (probably) new livery, isn't this the perfect opportunity for them to run for one season with the orange livery. However I dont expect that to happen unfortunately. But if it doesnt happen now when they wont have a title sponsor and are on the verge of ending their partnership with Mercedes then I can't ever see McLaren racing in their orange livery again.

Staff uniforms for the season are white with silver/grey sleeves, I doubt the car will be orange.

I love that I got all my predictions right so far. RIC to RB, MAL to lotus, KOB to Cat and McLaren not to have a sponsor, 2014 is going to be a good year for Fantasy F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

GarIT wrote: »
    I love that I got all my predictions right so far. RIC to RB, MAL to lotus, KOB to Cat and McLaren not to have a sponsor, 2014 is going to be a good year for Fantasy F1.

Eddie wasn't too bad with his predictions either!!

541473_623425037724544_2104984908_n.png

I'm not sure when this was done but of all the vacant seats at the time Kamui was the only one he got wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm not sure when this was done but of all the vacant seats at the time Kamui was the only one he got wrong.

There was a few there that I didn't get, but I didn't predict them wrong either.

I did say a few times that button might not be around for 2014 but I wont count that because it was more of he doesn't have a contract than he wont be there. I didn't put Sutil at Sauber, didn't say Massa would be at Williams for definite and didn't think Perez would be there, but I'm getting better at this, my predictions were mad last year. IIRC I thought KOV oe KOB would replace Massa for 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,071 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Another airbourne Kamui from Singapore, well one wheel on ground
    5ZnMzF.jpg

This seems to be the consensus among the technical speculation world as to what the main nose options are for this year. Here's hoping option 1 and 3 are preferred!

Behax7mIgAA1Xvv.jpg:large

541473_623425037724544_2104984908_n.png

Between the US GP and Brazil I think. It was broadcast on the Brazil qualy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

This seems to be the consensus among the technical speculation world as to what the main nose options are for this year. Here's hoping option 1 and 3 are preferred!

Option 2 got a Prince Albert before that photoshoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Didnt notice anyone mentioning it yet but van der Garde has been confirmed as Sauber's test and reserve driver

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

And that ends a great silly season!

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    Didnt notice anyone mentioning it yet but van der Garde has been confirmed as Sauber's test and reserve driver

Page too late frostie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Page too late frostie ;)

Hate being forced to use the phone so much, you end up missing loads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Behax7mIgAA1Xvv.jpg:large

I actually like them all. The first one reminds me slightly of an early '90s Tyrrell (the original raised nose). The second one would take a bit of getting used to, but it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the hideous stepped front ends of the last few years. The third one looks great - I always liked the "walrus-nosed" Williams. It's funny to think that it might be replicated ten years on.

At least the cars are all likely to look a bit different to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

^^ 2 is hideous but the number of winglets and surfaces is also a bit OTT and fugly

^^ 2 is hideous but the number of winglets and surfaces is also a bit OTT and fugly

Now would've been a good time to simplify and prettify the front wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

God no, modern front wings are a work of art. Enjoyable seeing Ted get all excited by the intricate details in them too. That wing would look nicer in a different livery I feel.

Nah I'm just not a fan. I prefer smooth bodies. That's why I don't have a 6-pack.

Number two looks brutal and would make no sense with a lump of carbon right in the middle of the nose which would essentially block airflow that would normally be directed onto the floor.

I don't mind 1 or 3.

Say hello to the VJM07, posted on twitter by Sahara Force India

BekoH3aCEAAs2f1.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Say hello to the VJM07, posted on twitter by Sahara Force India

And that's not a bad looking car at all. Nose shape is rumored to be just the launch spec, so it'll look different for the first race.

Advertisement