Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

The new paint scheme look fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Love the paint scheme and the car looks lovely. Not worried at all :)

More on it here: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/01/22/force-india-reveal-first-picture-vjm07/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

My reaction was "That is a F**king nice car"

logik wrote: »
    Number two looks brutal and would make no sense with a lump of carbon right in the middle of the nose which would essentially block airflow that would normally be directed onto the floor.

I don't mind 1 or 3.

I think they have to have it there to support the wing. This year the wing has to be far ahead of a high short nose or closer to a long low nose. Teams want a high nose but then have nothing to attatch the wing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

That car is not as bad as I was expecting and I really like the new Livery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Liking the new livery but I'm sure there is a reason they are only showing the car from one angle!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I think it looks great. I was a bit confused over the detailing over the "R" in Sahara, looks like the intake is a stepped design, almost looks like a helmet!

This car looks fast.

This car looks fast.

You cant say that. A cars looks really don't say much about its speed. It could look like a foot but be the fastest car on the grid or be the most beautiful car ever and be a dog on the track.

Roll on testing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,829 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I see Force India have Claro on board now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Gillespy

We still need to hear the cars on track and see how races will pan out with such limited fuel but I think they won't look as horrible as some first feared.

• Advertisement

Not a fan of the livery, all those colours will blend into one from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Gillespy wrote: »
    We still need to hear the cars on track and see how races will pan out with such limited fuel but I think they won't look as horrible as some first feared.

With the turbo and the smooth V6, i'd imagine that the screamy crackle of the V8 is going to be replaced by whoooosh/hiss/tsh-tsh-tsh :p

As for looks, as long as these cars don't have that bloody fin/spine along the back like we saw in 2010, i'm happy.

2010-Renault-F1-R30-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The one thing that gives me hope for the sound of the new V6s is the "turbo era".

Of course, I'm probably forgetting that exhausts looked very different in those days.

The one thing that gives me hope for the sound of the new V6s is the "turbo era".

Of course, I'm probably forgetting that exhausts looked very different in those days.

Don't get your hopes up. A single tail pipe from a lower reving engine of which the turbo will take away some of the noise. Think of a hoover on steroids.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Think of a hoover on steroids.

Did you hear about Mclaren's car for next year, the successor to the McLaren Mercedes MP-49, is going to be McLaren MP-Honda 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

logik wrote: »
    You cant say that. A cars looks really don't say much about its speed. It could look like a foot but be the fastest car on the grid or be the most beautiful car ever and be a dog on the track.

Well duh.

GarIT wrote: »
    Did you hear about Mclaren's car for next year, the successor to the McLaren Mercedes MP-49, is going to be McLaren MP-Honda 50.

My little Honda 50..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Think of a hoover on steroids.
    I don't know. I used to have a Nilfisk years back that made a fierce old racket. Reliable, but terribly slow. :D

Don't get your hopes up. A single tail pipe from a lower reving engine of which the turbo will take away some of the noise. Think of a hoover on steroids.

Agreed, sadly :(

Anyone know when Monza goes on sale? And should I be Looking for the general admission passes or seats at the chicane after the first straight?

My wonderful OH, LittleBlackDRS, is bringing me to Italy that weekend for my 21st. I've never been to a race before. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Anyone know when Monza goes on sale? And should I be Looking for the general admission passes or seats at the chicane after the first straight?

My wonderful OH, LittleBlackDRS, is bringing me to Italy that weekend for my 21st. I've never been to a race before. :D

You lucky duck!!!

The ascari chicane would be great, either that or grandstand, plenty of action watching pit crews and what-not, plus the sound of 22 full bore take-offs at the start :eek:

SamAK wrote: »
    You lucky duck!!!

The ascari chicane would be great, either that or grandstand, plenty of action watching pit crews and what-not, plus the sound of 22 full bore take-offs at the start :eek:

I know I'm delighted :)

I haven't seen the prices yet but I assume the grand stand will be much too expensive, I was wondering if anyone know if you could get close to the chicane with the gen admission passes without getting into the stands. Being students and all we need to save every penny.

A better question would be are there any good spots that wouldn't require stand tickets to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,829 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Take a look at this:

porsche-TAG-Motor.jpg

That is a Porsche 1.5 litre V6 Turbo engine that McLaren used in the 80's. Those engines powered Nikki Lauda to the win the 1984 Drivers Championship and Alain Prost to the 1985 and 1986 Drivers Championship.

The turbo engines that ran with the 'vee' configuration back in the 80's had two turbo chargers. The turbo engines with the 'inline' configuration just had one turbo charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Bahrain to be a night race in 2014 - Linky Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Less than 36 hours until we see the nose and livery of the McLaren. It feels like christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

I know I'm delighted :)

I haven't seen the prices yet but I assume the grand stand will be much too expensive, I was wondering if anyone know if you could get close to the chicane with the gen admission passes without getting into the stands. Being students and all we need to save every penny.

A better question would be are there any good spots that wouldn't require stand tickets to get to.

Here is a price list and stand map which should help.

I was there a few years ago and had General Admission tickets, we got a good spot for Quali right by the 2nd chicane where there was a small makeshift stand but on the Sunday there was no way you would get a spot there unless you camped there like the Italians. On the Sunday we went around to the straight before Ascari and there was plenty of space with views of a big screen but as we were on the straight the cars were just going by at high speed so it wasn't ideal.

One piece of advice for Monza, there is a lot of walking to get to the track and even more finding a spot with general admission so be prepared for that, it can also be quite hot at that time of year so plenty of water and sun block would be useful.

Maybe it was just me but from Spa I wouldn't be awfully worried about a viewing point. We spent the race between Bruxelles and Pouhon. Unless you want to be at an overtaking spot (which the straights are as good for now) it doesn't make a massive difference IMO. Use the Friday to find where you think you'd like for the race.

Bahrain to be a night race in 2014 - Linky Link

Interesting, anything to do with heat you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

The Williams FW36.

Bepzsv3CMAAlUKY.jpg:large
    Bepx0qOCAAAckFU.jpg:large
    Bep2_IYCAAAdiRF.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ugh, that nose...

Advertisement