Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Ferrari to launch this years challenger on the 25th of January.

Fans can choose the name for this years car on the Ferrari website.

The exciting thing about that? The picture that they have on the article for Ferrari's own website:
    news140005_new-630x300.jpg

NO ARDVARK/MALE GENITAL NOSE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Can't bloody wait! Roll on testing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

As far as I can tell, this is the general shape:

7.png

Remember, general shape... I can't draw...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

Cant wait to see the car, Voted for F14 Maranello.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

_rebelkid wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, this is the general shape:

7.png

Remember, general shape... I can't draw...

Nailed It :)

_rebelkid wrote: »
    The exciting thing about that? The picture that they have on the article for Ferrari's own website:
    news140005_new-630x300.jpg

NO ARDVARK/MALE GENITAL NOSE!!!!

Look how narrow the front wing has become... :mad:

Downforce will be greatly reduced.

Last years front wings were 150mm wider...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

logik wrote: »
    Look how narrow the front wing has become... :mad:

Downforce will be greatly reduced.

Last years front wings were 150mm wider...

People complained when the front wings were made wider, saying they looked like snow ploughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Is it definitely the '14 car? Over on the autosport forum, people are saying that photo is from 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Its the 2010 car folks, calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

I was thinking that nose was to good to be true!! It does look too high given the new regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Looked very high alright and to nice for a 2014 nose.
    Adam cooper posted this on twitter a few days ago
    @adamcooperf1
    Talked a technical director recently about 2014 noses. He said: "You are going to get so bored talking about how ugly these cars are..."

In other news gerard lopez says the Lotus deal with Quantam is off
    http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12473/9117675/lotus-chairman-gerard-lopez-says-the-team-have-broken-off-talks-with-quantum-motorsports
    "The Quantum money never arrived. We broke things off with them," he said.
    He must have been the only person in the world in the first place who thought the deal would go through.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Its the 2010 car folks, calm down.

How did I miss that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

So Lotus racked up a total debt of £114m last year, and they owed £80m of that to Genii. And that Quantum Motorsports deal has now officially been written off. Mansoor Ijazz doesn't have that money anywhere. Kimi Raikkonen still has to recieve part of his Salary from last year also, though head of Genii and Lotus Owner Gerard Lopez has said that Kimi will be paid in full. But the most interesting part of that article is this, Lotus are on the FIA entry list as "Subject to confirmation".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Pastors money is probably keeping them in business. Don't Genii also have big loans from Group Lotus?

So Lotus racked up a total debt of £114m last year, and they owed £80m of that to Genii. And that Quantum Motorsports deal has now officially been written off. Mansoor Ijazz doesn't have that money anywhere. Kimi Raikkonen still has to recieve part of his Salary from last year also, though head of Genii and Lotus Owner Gerard Lopez has said that Kimi will be paid in full. But the most interesting part of that article is this, Lotus are on the FIA entry list as "Subject to confirmation".

How a team that produced race wins has fallen so far short is beyond me. They are in big trouble. It's sad to see though because they are a decent team and F1 needs them. It was obvious early on that the deal with Quantum was going nowhere, as much as Eric denied it the case.

I can't see Kimi being paid any money if I am honest. You saw the statement during the year stating that his salary could pay the entire wage book of all the staff back home in the factory and in turn keep people in work and the factory open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

How a team that produced race wins has fallen so far short is beyond me. They are in big trouble. It's sad to see though because they are a decent team and F1 needs them. It was obvious early on that the deal with Quantum was going nowhere, as much as Eric denied it the case.

I can't see Kimi being paid any money if I am honest. You saw the statement during the year stating that his salary could pay the entire wage book of all the staff back home in the factory and in turn keep people in work and the factory open.

They are the scripters of their own downfall. Kimi's salary was €8m which isn't surprising, until you realise he was getting €50,000 a point bringing that to €17.5m for last season.

They are the scripters of their own downfall. Kimi's salary was €8m which isn't surprising, until you realise he was getting €50,000 a point bringing that to €17.5m for last season.

That is ridiculous alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

That is ridiculous alright.

Not really. Most, if not all, professional sports people will have some sort of performance based bonus written into their contract and we're talking about a previous world champion.
    I'd like to know how much F1 teams get for each point scored, which I'm guessing is multiples of that €50,000, also when you factor the exposure sponsors get which keeps them happy and when trying to negotiate new sponsors. Lotus probably not the best example to use for this though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Ron's back!

Maybe McLaren might actually get a podium next season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ro_chez wrote: »
    Ron's back!

Maybe McLaren might actually get a podium next season!

Is it a case of just semantics though, ha Dennis running the show from behind the scenes in recent times?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

http://au.eurosport.com/formula-1/nascar-s-haas-plans-new-f1-team_sto4092404/story.shtml

It's a crazy time to be setting up a new team from scratch when you could hold out for a team to get in trouble and buy it for a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Did like Ron Dennis but also liked Whitmarsh, maybe Ron's a bit more intense and is what the team needs but could be the wrong time to make a major change.

Would be difficult to see Whitmarsh having any role with McLaren now? Maybe a few months off for him

http://au.eurosport.com/formula-1/nascar-s-haas-plans-new-f1-team_sto4092404/story.shtml

It's a crazy time to be setting up a new team from scratch when you could hold out for a team to get in trouble and buy it for a song.

There probably won't be anything available "for a song", the licence is the main asset of each team. The FIA will have to agree to any name changes and take their bit off the top of any new organisations buying in however they do it, there won't be a cheap way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Zcott wrote: »
    Yeah...I prefer to watch live and with a decent video quality. Those two things only happen with a Sky subscription :-(

Yes, watching live is impossible without a subscription, but there is always a standard and high definition version uploaded. A guy on KAT called footy7 usually uploads a 720p 50fps version that is absolutely flawless!!

Only problems - it takes a few hours for the uploaders to render and process the recording, and then another while to upload it, and then another bit to let it spread around to other leechers/seeders so you get a decent download rate!

I've become used to watching qually on a sunday morning/afternoon, and then I have something to look forward to after college on monday evening! It does mean a total media blackout though, until you know the results :P

All part of being a dedicated racing fan!

Damn, i can't wait for the new season, only 56 days lads!!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

If Whitmarsh does leave the team now could Ross Brawn be lined up to take over as Team Principal?

Also I wonder how this will affect the possibly signing of Alonso in 2015? Anyone know if Fernando and Ron ever buried the hatchet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Myrddin wrote: »
    Sky F1 - Expensive, & a channel you'll watch for a few days every month for ten months of the year only.

Yes, but Sky has Brundle!! For me, the best of the best for top-notch commentary!

And....ahem....I have a bit of a soft spot for Natalie Pinkham. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

There probably won't be anything available "for a song", the licence is the main asset of each team. The FIA will have to agree to any name changes and take their bit off the top of any new organisations buying in however they do it, there won't be a cheap way in.

Buying out a failing team is still for a song relative to what will be involved in setting up a new team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Bugatti wrote: »

Also I wonder how this will affect the possibly signing of Alonso in 2015? Anyone know if Fernando and Ron ever buried the hatchet?

Does anyone know what Alonso's physio had to do with the infamous pit incident? I remember Ron frog marching him from the pit lane.

Would be sad to see the back of Whitmarsh if he does go. He always seemed approachable and a likable guy unlike Dennis who just comes across as an arsehole.

Advertisement