Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Early dinner today, baked chicken in homemade piri piri sauce, potato dauphinois, and obligatory petit pois :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Used to love soggy green cabbage. Anyone know how do you get it to go soggy, add soda bicarbonate or something?
    Yeah just a pinch of bread soda, and cook it until you think its cooked enough basically.

In our house growing up cabbage was cooked for at least two hours so it was very soggy.

Cook it in the bacon water, it gives the cabbage a gorgeous flavour, and its not too salty either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah, but, was it homegrown ?? ;)

Oh yeah!
    I've had that pig in the back of my car and am on first name terms with the farmer ........ but,nooo, Chatte has to go one better!!!!

And to think I missed you in your absence !
    Hurrump!!

Oh yeah!
    I've had that pig in the back of my car and am on first name terms with the farmer ........ but,nooo, Chatte has to go one better!!!!

And to think I missed you in your absence !
    Hurrump!!

HOGFIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Roast chicken leg & wing, corn on the cob and smokey BBQ chorizo beans. Oh the beans were a joy! I used some liquid smoke and lots of chipotle tabasco and cooked them for a few hours. Yum.

chorizo%20beans_zpsyurhn7ux.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pork in a sort of sweet & sour sauce with chilli and garlic, and fried rice.

lxlqd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Mammy gave me fillet steak to bring home, so i made a beef noodle salad with almond dressing. Fillet needs a bit of help with the flavor i find.
    slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

10629771_10205959073404744_5398198843005976392_n.jpg?oh=6dbd64c9b8154acd4f548fa9c30d5b0e&oe=5595720C

I ignored a tiny grey spot on the meat and cooked it anyway because I just bought it yesterday but upon tasting it, it turned out to be rancid. :( So I just had tenderstem broccoli and potatoes..

Chicken Tikka Masala with Pratha, both from Jamie Oliver, and fluffy pilau. Pratha needs a bit of practicing, still too brittle.

IMG_20150209_182900_zps3slqkiqs.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We tried something new tonight - zoodles! Zucchini (courgette) noodles.

69dlp3.jpg

I sautéed them with a little coconut oil and garlic, seasoned with salt and pepper, and ate them with bolognese sauce.

Surprisingly delicious with a great texture.

3517a6f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yeah just a pinch of bread soda, and cook it until you think its cooked enough basically.

In our house growing up cabbage was cooked for at least two hours so it was very soggy.

Cook it in the bacon water, it gives the cabbage a gorgeous flavour, and its not too salty either.

My grandmother recommended boiling cabbage for no less than four hours.

I second cooking it in the bacon water. It's a great way to cook turnip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Lamb cutlets, baby potatoes and bean/feta/pomegranate salad with a yogurt dressing.
    2afbi81.jpg

I had another giant bowl of my freezer ministrone. So tasty. I'm going to make a similar batch but more tex-mex inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Chicken Nasi Goreng! :D
    10959480_10205967121005929_8547444304220452615_n.jpg?oh=7fda2825840aad4c0971041c580ff1bf&oe=55554C40&__gda__=1435430900_abc75632f561192435949d1d0e86181f

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I made a big fish pie tonight. What on earth possessed me to plan a fish pie for a Tuesday after a day at work? I completely forgot long long fish pie takes.

Steamed spuds - mashed - add butter, milk - mashed again. Set aside.

Blanched cauliflower & broccoli.

Sauteed leeks in butter, dug peas out of the freezer.

Poached fish in milk, strained, made white sauce with the fishy milk.

Assemble veg & fish in dish - pour over sauce - layer spuds on top - put in oven for 40 mins.

WHAT WAS I THINKING??

(PS It did taste nice in the end :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Lasagna and curly kale.. and enough leftovers for 4 big portions :P

20150210_191930.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Meatballs with penne, peppers, sweetcorn and peas. All tossed in roasted pepper pesto. Great stuff.

338516.jpg

Chorizo, pepper and manchego omelet. Nom.

Tonight was roast spatchcocked chicken in garlic soy, with mashed potatoes, roast brussels sprouts and steamed carrots. Manage to convert two more sprout haters. Excellent! *in Mr Burns' evil tone*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Seafood Ramen following a recipe from the Saturday Kitchen a few weeks ago.

IMG_0606_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

dibkins wrote: »
    Chorizo, pepper and manchego omelet. Nom.

What are those crisp things on the side?

M&S chilli lentil curls. They are dang tasty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

dibkins wrote: »
    M&S chilli lentil curls. They are dang tasty.

Cheers. Must check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Yesterday my friend cooked me a small dinner early in the evening. She did spag bol, it was delicious, probably the nicest I had in a long, long time.

Then a friend of my boyfriends text and asked if we would meet himself and his girlfriend for dinner, so we ended up meeting them at 8.30.

I had lamb cutlets with mashed potatoes and a sauce that was meant to be blackberry and red wine. The sauce turned out to be this :( It was horrible. The meat was nice, but drowned in the sauce, and the spuds were lumpy, cold and also drowned in the sauce. I had two forkfuls of the potatoes and couldn't stomach any more of them. I ate as much meat as I could, but not before scraping the sauce off the knife. The other diner who had the same dish as I did, also did the same as me, barely touched spuds, and scraped the sauce off the meat with their knife.

For starter I had mushrooms in a crispy batter with garlic sauce, they were lovely, if a little filling.

None of us bothered with dessert, we were full and it was late.

We had a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon with the meal, I think it was Tantehue 2013? I know nothing about wines so forgive me if the name is incorrect.

For dinner this evening, we had rib eye steaks and steamed potatoes. The potatoes weren't great but the steaks were tasty.

Cottage pie with rocket on the side.

IMG_20150211_184349_zps8nq7aqdw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Hot dogs with mustard, ketchup & onions. Loads of hot dogs with mustard, ketchup & onions!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had lasagna with this lovely tear & share garlic bread.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Pizza with cheese and prawns. Never checked the fridge this morning for nice things like peppers and mushrooms, I thought it was a given. So had to make do. Gave it a good shake of paprika, nice bit of heat out of it. Worked well, I'd eat the same again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

My housemate and I, feeling pretty delicate after a college ball last night, shared a large Dominos pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms and olives, with garlic bread, potato wedges and (the crucial ingredient) two ice-cold cans of Coke.

Restorative powers, I tells ya.

• Advertisement

I made a kinda tex-mex chilli bean stew/soup. It is packed full of veg and bloody delicious! 7 more portions for the freezer, i may have gone overboard!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement