Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

23rkg80.jpg

My go to recipe if I want something easy, quick and super savoury. Pasta puttanesca. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Minder wrote: »
    ...because you'll be dodging lava-like gouts of polenta as it roils and bubbles like a volcanic mud lake venting steam. Dress like Red Adair, or use a spatter guard if you have one.]

I've never had that problem as I use a very very low heat. I just get little pops and puffs of steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Roasted red pepper stuffed with brown rice, red onion and brocolli that had been cooked in a chicken stock and topped with feta cheese.. Sweet potato chips as a side! So yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Quiche Lorraine, and because it was French pancake day yesterday (Chandeleur), homemade pancakes, with a choice of homemade chestnut jam or lemon and sugar for desert. Nom!

Quiche Lorraine, and because it was French pancake day yesterday (Chandeleur), homemade pancakes, with a choice of homemade chestnut jam or lemon and sugar for desert. Nom!

I would ask for the recipe of the chestnut jam, unfortunately I will never have enough chestnuts available to me to make such a delicacy. :(

PS. You can give it to me anyway. Who knows, I might move to France again some day. :P

• Advertisement

I would ask for the recipe of the chestnut jam, unfortunately I will never have enough chestnuts available to me to make such a delicacy. :(

PS. You can give it to me anyway. Who knows, I might move to France again some day. :P

Okeydokey!

For a kilo of peeled chestnuts you'll need 700g sugar, 250 mL water and a vanilla pod. This will make approx 4 standard jars.

First, peel off the first, hard cover on the chestnut. Discard any that have holes in them, or worms.
    To remove the second skin, I boil the chestnuts for about 10 mins, in small batches. This is a bit tricky, you don't want them over cooked or they'll crumble and be impossible to peel, or else they'll get cold and the skin will stick back to them.
    Once you've removed the second skin, weigh them - it's this weight you'll base the other ingredients on.
    Boil the peeled chestnuts for 40 mins. Puree them, I use a potato ricer.
    In a large pot, dissolve the sugar in the water with the vanilla pod (chopped) on a low heat until it bubbles. Stir well.
    Add the chestnut puree, stir regularly to break any lumps for between 10 and 30 minutes until the mixture changes colour (to a brownish colour) and gets a "jammy" consistency. Pour into sterilised jars.

Ah ! I see, it is like crème de marrons ! We used to buy it when living in the Ardèche.
    I don't even understand myself, conjuring up a raspberry or strawberry style jam but from chestnuts, doofus that I am.

Thanks for the recipe though. :)

Ah ! I see, it is like crème de marrons ! We used to buy it when living in the Ardèche.
    I don't even understand myself, conjuring up a raspberry or strawberry style jam but from chestnuts, doofus that I am.

Thanks for the recipe though. :)
    Oh yes it IS creme de marrons! I just Englified the title! :)

You lived in the Ardèche? That's where we gather our chestnuts every year for the jam (my inlaws live there, we spend a lot of time there)

Tonight's a night for a stew:D

So beef cheeks (and a little short rib) stewed with tomatoes, white wine and herbs (amongst other essential stew items). Served with mashed spuds.

What a rich luscious meat!
    Going by the size, I thought I'd eat a whole cheek (as pictured) - I was beaten 2/3s of the way through:o

6hCiXG.jpg

Oh yes it IS creme de marrons! I just Englified the title! :)

You lived in the Ardèche? That's where we gather our chestnuts every year for the jam (my inlaws live there, we spend a lot of time there)

Yes, we lived there for 4.5 years. In a little village, called St Gineis en Coiron. Not entirely IN chestnut country, but close enough.
    Love chestnuts : roasted, in soups, the flour for crepes .... Salivating now. :)

• Advertisement

Yes, we lived there for 4.5 years. In a little village, called St Gineis en Coiron. Not entirely IN chestnut country, but close enough.
    Love chestnuts : roasted, in soups, the flour for crepes .... Salivating now. :)
    Not far from where I spend my time (around Les Vans)!
    I love pasta made from chestnut flour.

Not far from where I spend my time (around Les Vans)!
    I love pasta made from chestnut flour.

Yeay ! Les Vans ! We used to go to le marché regularly on samedi matin. :)
    I don't want to derail this thread , but what region do you live in France ?

Yeay ! Les Vans ! We used to go to le marché regularly on samedi matin. :)
    I don't want to derail this thread , but what region do you live in France ?
    Montpellier.
    (The market in Les Vans is excellent, mad busy though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Making gluten free oat bars tonight with peanut butter, banana and choc chips :) Meant to be a great snack for work. And knowing me will probably eat the entire bowl for my dinner :) Will send a pic when they're done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Dinner tonight, more salad. Lettuce, yellow pepper, red onion, spinach, cajun chicken, cucumber and light caesar dressing. dressing is awful. Tastes like alcohol, and feet.

Can anybody recommend a nice caesar dressing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Dinner tonight, more salad. Lettuce, yellow pepper, red onion, spinach, cajun chicken, cucumber and light caesar dressing. dressing is awful. Tastes like alcohol, and feet.

Ceaser salad here as well! :)

I use the Aldi dressing but unfortunately put a bit too much on the salad today as it was near the end of the bottle and I thought why not. Yours looks soaked in the stuff! :eek:

I have never tasted a shop bought salad dressing that I didn't think was awful!

You'll have to make your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

smeal wrote: »
    Making gluten free oat bars tonight with peanut butter, banana and choc chips :) Meant to be a great snack for work. And knowing me will probably eat the entire bowl for my dinner :) Will send a pic when they're done!

Description is enough, recipe please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Ceaser salad here as well! :)

I use the Aldi dressing but unfortunately put a bit too much on the salad today as it was near the end of the bottle and I thought why not. Yours looks soaked in the stuff! :eek:

Yeah :o I don't like dry food. Will give the Aldi stuff a go.

Waaaaaaay too much effort. I'll stick with my light mayo if I need to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Agreed. Much and all as I love cooking, life is too short to be making Caesar dressing.
    Lakeshore do a lovely dressing. Dunnes or Supervalu always have it in stock. I assume tesco too.

• Advertisement

Yeah :o I don't like dry food. Will give the Aldi stuff a go.

Combining 4 ingredients in a jar and shaking it is too much effort?

I made it once, it cost a fortune and was disgusting. Never again! :)

I'm not talking Caesar dressing, just salad dressing / vinaigrette.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had chilli tonight, with red pepper instead of kidney beans.

2my4spi.jpg

I'm not talking Caesar dressing, just salad dressing / vinaigrette.

OK, fair enough. Have you ever made Ceaser dressing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Stupid Luas broke down and traffic was gridlocked along the canal so I reluctantly walked home in the freezing cold. It took an hour and my phone told me it was -1 degrees. Thankfully I made lasagne yesterday so I was able to have a big plate of lasagne and salad to warm up once I finally got home.

May have also opened a bottle of red... for errr, medicinal purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I made a big pot of spicy, peppery bolognese as my dinner for this week. It warmed me right up, although I know I'll be sick of it by Friday.

Then again, anything I can throw parmesan on is a winner in my book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

A bit of olive oil and vinegar cost a fortune?

katydid wrote: »
    A bit of olive oil and vinegar cost a fortune?

Crossed wires. I was talking about Ceaser dressing.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Crossed wires. I was talking about Ceaser dressing.....

Ah ok, with the parmesan, eggs and all. I know what you mean...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement