Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Grilled mackerel with wilted spinach and cubed potatoes.

IMG_20150203_201831_zps6rji0un3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Last Saturday we had rice, chicken leg and a curry sauce (comme en Belgique :rolleyes: ). While eating that I started craving chips with said curry sauce.
    So I secretively placed the remainder at the back of the fridge (where my husband never cares to look), so that I could eat it today with chips - on my own as husband wasn't here for dinner.
    Yes, I am a bit embarrassed :o:p

xqm1wo.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Last Saturday we had rice, chicken leg and a curry sauce (comme en Belgique :rolleyes: ). While eating that I started craving chips with said curry sauce.
    So I secretively placed the remainder at the back of the fridge (where my husband never cares to look), so that I could eat it today with chips - on my own as husband wasn't here for dinner.
    Yes, I am a bit embarrassed :o:p

Curry chips...my guilty pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Marinated spicy chicken wings and egg fried rice here. (I cannot believe the difference a bit of Chinese 5 spice makes to fried rice! Wow!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Jambalaya.

image_170.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OK, fair enough. Have you ever made Ceaser dressing?

Nope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

OK, fair enough. Have you ever made Ceaser dressing?

I've made it from this recipe and it was delicious.

Faith wrote: »
    I've made it from this recipe and it was delicious.

Here is my recipe for caesar salad.

It is actually very simple to make. The first time I ate this salad it was made with a homemade dressing by a Canadian friend, yonks ago. I just cannot stomach the shop bought versions at all.

Ingredients
    1 clove of garlic, peeled
    1/2 tbsp mustard powder
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    1 tbsp Worcester sauce
    1 coddled egg (*)
    1 tin of anchovies
    3 tbsp olive oil
    5 tbsp sunflower oil
    3 heaped tbsp freshly grated parmesan
    seasoning (salt and freshly cracked black pepper)
    shavings of parmesan
    croutons (**)
    cubed cooked chicken (***)
    romaine or iceberg lettuce
    (*)You coddle an egg by dropping (you know what I mean ;) ) it with shell in water that has just boiled. Leave for one minute. Take it out and leave to cool.
    (**) Croutons, made from sliced and cubed bread. Either fry in a pan with some oil or spread them on an oven tray and toast them in the oven.
    (***)The chicken can be blanched, panfried or leftover roast chicken. I had fillet of chicken (our home grown) which I dowsed (when cubed) in a marinade. Juice of 1/2 lemon, splash of olive oil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt, black pepper, garlic powder,paprika and a pinch of cayenne. Then shallow fried in a pan. hm-hm.

Preparation
    In a jug/beaker, put the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, mustard, coddled egg, 1/2 of the anchovies.
    Use a hand held blender and blend till smooth.
    Add the oil and blend again. You should have a creamy consistency.
    Now step away from the blender and add the grated parmesan.
    Season with salt and pepper.
    That's your dressing ready.
    Rip the lettuce leaves in large pieces toss with the dressing (only just before serving), croutons, slivers of the anchovies, chicken and finish with the shavings and more black pepper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

We had Tagliatelle with mushrooms sauce. I was in a Polish shop near work and found actual wild mushrooms in the freezer section - I don't know the English word for them (Stockschwämmchen were one type, and Butterpilze), the languages on the package were Polish, Russian and German, but I know them from back home and was over the moon I finally could get them here.

And they were utterly delicious. A button mushroom is a nice thing, but if you're looking for flavour you can't beat a real forrest mushroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I had the old standby of a margherita pizza custom topped with salami, spinach, and mushrooms. Lovely so it was.

Tonight will be the leftover saba no miso.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Penne with ham & cheese (and cheese and cheese and cheese and cheese) and a rocket and tomato salad

JFEvrhx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Homemade (by my mammy) Irish Lamb stew with floury potatoes and Apple Tart & Ice-Cream & Cream! to follow :) Yummy!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Chicken stew. But with cous cous. Lovely and light. My gang are anti spud, but ate this sweet. Have to revise my plan, thinking the pot would last till Friday. They both asked for more.

The cooking club's Quinoa base pizza, one topped with chorizo, red onion, green pepper, pineapple and tomato sauce, the other topped with garlic oregano chicken, green pepper, basil, tomato sauce. Delicious.

IMG_20150204_182751_zpszhuutwos.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast chicken with a garlic/lemon/cajun rub. With baked potatoes, coleslaw and sweetcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we're having a rich, spicy pasta dish that is full of an Argentinian Malbec. It's fantastically rich.

For someone who used to hate red wine, I'm the complete opposite now. Put it in everything I can. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Red thai curry made with chicken legs - usually would use four fillets and cook them in the sauce, but there were only legs left in Aldi so I cooked them separately and shredded them into it. It was lovely, and there was way more meat from them than I'd have thought! It is a bit oilier than usual though, but much cheaper and tastier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made a pork and mushroom pie last night. Was nice but I think I was expecting more.

337784.jpg

The recipe called for it to be put into one dish and then covered in puff pastry, but I didn't want to cook it all tonight and then have soggy pastry when having the rest of it tonight, so I just put it into individual pots and kept the leftovers til tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Made a heeuuge dinner last night! Chicken fillets stuffed with basil pesto and sundried tomatoes, wrapped in prosciutto and roasted. Served with roasted sweet potato chunks (sprinkled a little curry powder on then - YUM), roasted cherry tomatoes on the vine, and stirfried mushies, mangetout and baby corn. Oh and some steamed baby potatoes.

Himself has been having a tough ole time in work but it transformed his mood :D

ETA: dreadful pic, will try harder next time!

More of the beef cheek stew last night, this time with wet polenta.
    It goes a long way!:D

4KmQdr.jpg

• Advertisement

More of the beef cheek stew last night, this time with wet polenta.
    It goes a long way!:D

I can't get beef cheek anywhere. I've asked around all the butchers in Waterford, and it's like I'm speaking a foreign language. I use chuck steak instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

we are having a yummy thai green chicken curry tonight. not had it in yonks. using a new recipe and it tastes divine. :)

katydid wrote: »
    I can't get beef cheek anywhere. I've asked around all the butchers in Waterford, and it's like I'm speaking a foreign language. I use chuck steak instead.

Oxtail or shin would be closer to cheek.

Ratatouille, cod lightly floured and fried in butter, and orzo with onions, garlic and rocket. Oh, and a glass of my home-made elderberry/blackberry wine.

Can't work out how to upload my photo from photobucket. Damn.

Orzo_zps9pp7otck.jpg

Got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

katydid wrote: »
    Ratatouille, cod lightly floured and fried in butter, and orzo with onions, garlic and rocket. Oh, and a glass of my home-made elderberry/blackberry wine.

Can't work out how to upload my photo from photobucket. Damn.

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Katydid6/media/Orzo_zps9pp7otck.jpg.html?filters[user]=142515632&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Please keep trying I want to see a pic of your wine! ;)

I had some leftover chicken from last night and with all the talk here a few days ago about chicken caesar salad, my mind had been made up quick fast.
    I also added a hard boiled egg to the salad as we have a glut of them.
    Made a tower of pancakes and all.
    140dmav.jpg

2m7gsj7.jpg

Please keep trying I want to see a pic of your wine! ;)

Well, it just looks like any old wine. I'll be making a lot more of it now that they're putting up the price of wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Camera is crappy on my phone, but here's some (quite spicy) tinga chicken, a lovely rich tomatoey and chipotle pepper sauce and slow cooked chicken thighs. Had them in america and for a first try, the flabours weren't too far off. Tostadas were fun to cook in the deep fat fryer :D

IMG_20150205_215814.jpg

Made chicken curry served with pratha.

IMG_20150205_195647_zps8xopxzps.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I'm not really sure what I cooked but it was bloody delicious, kind of a pork stirfry with coconut milk, potatoes, lentils and peppers. Had some for lunch too, someone needs to tell me to get away from the wok, leftovers are tempting me :o. Save some for later- no, it's too tasty!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement