Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Was out for dinner last night.

For starters I had baked flat top mushrooms, with courgette, cheese and basil pesto.

kc1myd.jpg

For mains, I had a striploin steak (it was huge) with crispy onions (they were unreal), chips and a brandy pepper sauce.

For dessert I had a chocolate brownie with strawberry puree, some strawberries and fresh cream. It was divine. It was the nicest brownie I ever had.

It wasn't sweet, rich or heavy, it was like a savoury brownie if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Had striploin steak, fried onions, mashed potatoes, croquette potatoes, sugar-snap peas, carrots and baby corn.
    Had that with a nice bottle of white wine.

(We'd opened a red that we'd been saving but after taking one sip, realised it was VILE, so we ended up having white.)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

This was from a couple of nights back - chicken tray bake with chorizo, butternut squash, chili and baby potatoes. This is actually a recipe for a whole roast chicken, but to save time for a midweek meal I just used chicken pieces and mixed it all up on the tray :)

9F244E88C58B429C8991077D5703033A-0000353053-0003728377-00640L-5857BF1755FD40AE91FC885CD074ED85.jpg

Tonight we had chicken again, with the rest of the butternut squash sliced up and cooked in the oven with the chicken in a bit of a creamy sauce, plus baby spuds and leftovers of a couscous salad

EAE505D0BDCE4D9AB41EB4AAC7E49D59-0000353053-0003728375-00800L-A280F74AE6CA4F60BFED690CFA2EE067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Spaghetti and Meatballs, with spinach mushrooms and yellow pepper in the tomato sauce, it was yum! I needed to fry some chorizo for a different meal, so browned the Meatballs in the oil; chorizo just makes everything better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Pittas with griddled chilli and garlic chicken, with lettuce, red onion, tomato, cucumber and garlic sauce! Traditional Sunday dinner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pan fried fillet of seabass with crab and pea risotto.

IMG_0619_thumb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Was supposed to be a hash with baby-franks from Ikea but I got home from a big fat walk in Portmarnock and all I wanted in this world or the next was pepperoni pizza so it was Dominos and baby-franks are sitting in the fridge to be consumed with gusto tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

The husband made sushi for dinner and it was excellent. We got some really fresh tuna steak & salmon from the fishmongers and had an absolute feast

Bingo! We're having friends round next month and I've be racking my brain - basically, I want something I can just plonk on the table rather than being in & out of the kitchen all night. I haven't made sushi before either so this is my new project!

Thanks for the idea!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Tagliatelle with salmon and peppers

86ED8DFEC64B46348EB6FE98B1733183-0000353053-0003729024-00640L-874809F35D1F4E228D33EAAA938FAAAA.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Generic breaded white fish fillets, with potato cakes made from last night's mash and a few scallions, and a salad of mixed leaves, tomatoes and feta, just dressed with lemon and olive oil.

Very simple and good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Lazy but tasty meatball sub (well, two :o)

20150216_184641.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I had one of those gorgeous fillet steaks that are on special in Lidl. Cooked it on a stinkin hot pan until medium-rare and served with cream-pepper sauce, broccoli and asparagus. No time for photos, twas too good not to eat right away!

Potato & frankfurter hash with a fried egg and sriracha

9kIUvR1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had a chicken tikka wrap out in the Farmers Market in Dun Laoghaire yesterday and it was very tasty and quite healthy really.

Tonight I made a seafood linguine from anchovies and mussels and if I had arms as long as Inspector Gadget I would have reached around all the way to my back and given it a resounding slap, it was absolutely scrumptious. We shared a bottle of Chatelain Desjacques Sav Blanc from the Loire and it was quite like a Sancerre, deliciously crisp and a great accompaniment to the pasta.

My quest to make home made dhosa continues. I made the batter from one part soaked skinless urad dal, and 3 parts soaked idly rice. Dal batter was silky smooth, idly rice batter was less so. Resulting pancakes were not great, being too thick. Also the fermentation of the batter wasn't as advanced as it might have been even after 20 hours in a warm room.

So to dinner. Roast chicken because I had a bird that needed cooking. Prepped it with thyme, lemon juice, chilli and salt. After the bird went into the oven, I watched Rick Stein making dal, so I had a craving for a lovely, rich, warming, comforting bowl of gently spiced lentils. What I made was somewhat off key. Too much onion in the tarka, too many curry leaves etc. Also made a potato dish to go in the dhosa but that as the pancakes failed, the spuds became a sort of Bombay potato dish. So while it was only the pancakes that were inedible, the rest of the dinner was off balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Beef and broccoli from the Chinese.

Tasty, but I feel so bad about it afterward.

Could be so much worse Kylith. You could have done a 4 in 1 with a side of crispy chili chicken, extra chicken balls and spring rolls then poured it all on a plate and grated a block of cheese over it :) Beef & broccoli sounds pretty much angelic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Could be so much worse Kylith. You could have done a 4 in 1 with a side of crispy chili chicken, extra chicken balls and spring rolls then poured it all on a plate and grated a block of cheese over it :) Beef & broccoli sounds pretty much angelic.

Or a Big Mac Meal with Chocolate shake then with a Double Cheeseburger to go. I was working late ok! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oh my gods, that sound AMAZING. I could stick some gravy on there too, I'm sure.

I could do crispy chili chicken with gravy & cheese right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Our fave Chinese at home does the most amazing crispy chilli chicken.... I start craving it about halfway through the 4 hour drive down of a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night was roast garlic soy chicken with quinoa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I made Saag Aloo and naan bread last night for the first time. The Saag Aloo was lovely, the naan breads need a little tweaking but overall, I'm very pleased.

i needed a quick, satisfying meal tonight - dinner for one. So i warmed some chicken stock, added a couple of spoonfuls of sambal (thanks Mrs Fox!), then cooked the rice noodle rolls, broccoli and a few shiitakes in the broth. Topped with beanshoots, sliced chicken breast and a soft boiled egg.

IMG_0621_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Saw this today and was rightly amused.

Last night was chilli con carne, with baby spinach and quinoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Last night was pork stir fry with noodles, and creepy smiley face pancakes ;)

Tonight we had this chicken & spaghetti bake which probably looks like unappealing mush to most people but was right the way up my alley. I love cheese sauces with green chili & tomato. This was so delicious, blackened chilis, tomatoes, onion & garlic mixed into a cheese sauce with some cumin, coriander and cayenne. I could, and did, eat the sauce straight out of the pot.

No photo cos it looks like the word 'slop' sounds.

Bad thing that's potentially occurring - I think I'm developing an intolerance to either chili or cheese. My face is itching off me. If this is actually is happening you will be able to hear my yowls of sorrow everywhere in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Tonight we had this chicken & spaghetti bake which probably looks like unappealing mush to most people but was right the way up my alley. I love cheese sauces with green chili & tomato. This was so delicious, blackened chilis, tomatoes, onion & garlic mixed into a cheese sauce with some cumin, coriander and cayenne. I could, and did, eat the sauce straight out of the pot.

Omfg... On the list! I can't do coriander or cumin though, what can I substitute instead?

• Advertisement

Bad thing that's potentially occurring - I think I'm developing an intolerance to either chili or cheese. My face is itching off me. If this is actually is happening you will be able to hear my yowls of sorrow everywhere in Ireland

Methinks it's the chilli. I had the same reaction once from a chilli condiment from a Chinese restaurant. The itch was unbelievable and lasted for a couple of hours. And just like that, poof, twas gone.

Tonight I had chicken piri-piri served with baby spinach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement