Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Where did you get those little freezer dishes? My housemate in America had those and they're the perfect serving size (unless you're peckish) for lunches/reheating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Soy and ginger glazed mackerel with jasmine rice and wilted greens.

7aBCPe_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I got the dishes in Dealz, but they have similar in the other pound shop chain. They are pretty big actually, good for portion control too^^

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had lamb cutlets with mashed potatoes and a sauce that was meant to be blackberry and red wine. The sauce turned out to be this :( It was horrible. The meat was nice, but drowned in the sauce, and radeusse the spuds were lumpy, cold and also drowned in the sauce. I had two forkfuls of the potatoes and couldn't stomach any more of them. I ate as much meat as I could, but not before scraping the sauce off the knife. The other diner who had the same dish as I did, also did the same as me, barely touched spuds, and scraped the sauce off the meat with their knife.

For starter I had mushrooms in a crispy batter with garlic sauce, they were lovely, if a little filling.

None of us bothered with dessert, we were full and it was late.

Sounds remarkably like a restaurant near me.
    You're not in Cork by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Last night a friend and I wanted to go to Musashi on Capel St. for dinner, but it was full apparently, so we popped across the river to Corfu on Parliament St. What a delightful wee spot it is! My first time there.

They had a three course special for 16.95 and as we had both worked late we went for it. I had feta and olives to start, which was gorgeous, and my friend had a Greek salad which was also really nice. Generous portions also. We both had chicken souvlaki for mains - really tender chicken pieces on a skewer served with delicious tzatziki and various veggies. Divine, the flavours were unreal. Lovely little baklava for dessert!

Was very pleased. Recommend!

• Advertisement

Last week's Flat Irons cooked (not quite intentionally) blue.
    Braised fennel with orange juice.
    Carrots.
    Kale with garlic.
    Fried polenta.

6Rdk3N.jpg

Last night was:
    Plain fried and grilled chicken thighs.
    Plain Jasmine rice.
    Savoy cabbage with ginger, garlic, chilli, preserved black beans, lemon zest, soy sauce, rice wine and chicken juices.

7xeHXA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Beef patty, sauteed mushroom and red onion, fried egg over easy, rocket and the last of my sambal. Gotta make more.

IMG_20150212_191420_zpsifvw6wgq.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken fillet and vegetables cooked in a roasting bag with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and oregano. With sweet potato chips.
    Mr. Dizzy had a huge bowl of chicken soup because he's smothering.

xolkp1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I had an (almost) curry free dinner. :p Steak and rice and curried carrots. It was nom, I marinated the steak with soy sauce, lemon juice and garlic.

I don't even know why I bought steak, I did buy a new frying pan in aldi earlier so maybe I couldn't wait to use it. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I tried my hand at a quiche with bacon, mushroom, and emmenthal.

It was tasty but quite wet. Is it because of liquid from the mushrooms?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

kylith wrote: »
    I tried my hand at a quiche with bacon, mushroom, and emmenthal.

It was tasty but quite wet. Is it because of liquid from the mushrooms?

It could be. I usually fry the mushrooms before putting them into the quiche for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shenshen wrote: »
    It could be. I usually fry the mushrooms before putting them into the quiche for that reason

I did that, and I drained them for about 10 minutes too. I think I'll have to get a good quiche-maker to talk me through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Sounds remarkably like a restaurant near me.
    You're not in Cork by any chance?
    Not in Cork, no, but I can PM the name of the restaurant to anyone who wants to know.

Last night was shameful chicken "burgers", a whole mix of things led to dinner being late so we made do with what we had in.

We also had BBQ ribs from the butchers before the "burgers" and they were gorgeous, as always!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

kylith wrote: »
    I did that, and I drained them for about 10 minutes too. I think I'll have to get a good quiche-maker to talk me through it.

No, no idea what it could have been then, sorry. Maybe the egg to sour cream ratio?

Chilli beef from the cooking club, served with stir fried garlic broccoli, and quinoa cooked in chicken stock. I also added sauteed mushroom to the beef dish.

IMG_20150213_184330_zpsvlbxooyg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we're having lamb pies with mashed spuds. Or I might steam the spuds. I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Home made bolognese pasta bake. Carb heaven!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Rump steaks (Aldi meat in the UK not as good as in Ireland but still nice), with mash, broccoli, really tender, sweet sprouts and garlicky mushroom sauce. Goodo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Wabbit Stew

/elmerfudd

A rabbit, thyme, potatoes, carrots and scallion on top. Bunny meat shredded off bones into stew when cooked. I've never really had rabbit before (except in a ragu once that really over powered it), it's really very delicious. Pleasant surprise!!

UQZxMWP.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For some reason I've not looked through here in ages - some gorgeous meals over the past few weeks.

Last night I had Thai-style chicken noodle soup while the rest of the family had their usual Friday Pizza night.

Tonight will be salmon with stem ginger, chilli & orange. A bottle of Prosecco is chilling & the last of the Swiss chocolate will be scoffed too.

Pork chops with smoked garlic, fennel seed and chilli rub. Baked potatoes with butter and cheese. Peas & sweetcorn.

IMG_0611_2_thumb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Was in Lough Rynn castle last night. Confit of duck leg on puy lentils to start, followed by rack of lamb with garlicy gratin potatoes, roasted root veg and a red wine jus.

Followed by profiteroles and a hape of cocktails!

Something special for dinner tonight, waiting for them to cool so I can start picking.

7Ahrsb_thumb.jpg

Minder wrote: »
    Something special for dinner tonight, waiting for them to cool so I can start picking.

Aaah leave 'em alone. They're canoodling :D

Duck legs confit, roast sweet potato chips, quinoa & rocket salad.

IMG_20150214_183939_zps9olgrusg.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Chicken stew with herb dumplings

2e5mbea.jpg

xaufpd.jpg

Nice, but not worth the hours of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

The husband made sushi for dinner and it was excellent. We got some really fresh tuna steak & salmon from the fishmongers and had an absolute feast.

I made Felicity Cloake's perfect chocolate mousse for dessert: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jul/22/how-to-make-chocolate-mousse

It was really super chocolatey and lovely texture. Himself said it had a lovely "settage" - I think he meant it was nicely set and had a nice consistency! I chucked some whipped cream and raspberries on top and it was really good, plus it only took about 10 mins to make from start to finish. Would recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Seconds of last night's rabbit stew but added a finely sliced red chili as well as the spring onion. Somehow or another the chili was roaring hot. I'm no slouch at chili eating, I like chili, I eat manymany chilis but this was hotter than your average 'red chili' from a mixed chili pack. I have warm & fuzzy burns after eating it. If anyone is planning on stripping paint off wood in the Dublin area tomorrow I'll come breathe dragon breath on it for you at a very reasonable rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Slow roasted pork belly, with stir fried veg and noodles. I've started using galanga (thai ginger pastey stuff) after seeing it mentioned on a thread here and it really took the stir fry up a notch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement