Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

I'll take one slab please :o

Had chorizo hash, trying to use up peppers and potatoes before they go off:

20150201_183558.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pork steak with baby potatoes and roasted carrots and turnip.

262pi61.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Oh Gloomtastic - that crackling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Oh Gloomtastic - that crackling!!

The best things in life are always bad for you! ;)

The best things in life are always bad for you! ;)

My sister & I have been known to eat an entire pork shoulder's worth of crackling between us. It might just be my favourite food!

• Advertisement

My sister & I have been known to eat an entire pork shoulder's worth of crackling between us. It might just be my favourite food!

And is that a problem? ;)

I've been sitting on a bag of Old Farm happy pork ribs (well, not *actually* sitting on, but you get me...) for ages so a couple of days ago we whipped them out of the freezer and then today we stuck them in the slow cooker and then baked them in the oven in Hoisin and had them with amazing chili wedges, gravy made from the pork juices and I had a little lime mayo (had a lime press to christen). JESUS. That was a good, good dinner. Meat falling off bones, crispy, hot wedges, general awesome.

739c611a-6ee8-4b97-88d1-a3ec79eef522_zps7ff211a9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Made Mrs Fox' Sambal from this recipe and that set the theme for the dinner.
    We also had Chicken and mustard cabbage soup
    Butter prawns - deep fried shell on prawns tossed in toasted coconut with curry leaves.
    Salt and pepper squid.
    Kingfish curry.
    Shrimp rice noodle rolls with choy sum.
    Plain white rice.
    Prawn crackers.

The Sambal is a cracking dish, I used it as a condiment with the squid and the prawns. Really complex flavour, instantly sweet from the sugar and then the burn from the chilli. Good and funky from the shrimp paste. Large jar sitting in the fridge, just need some more ideas to use it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

I'm getting Dominos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Minder wrote: »
    Made Mrs Fox' Sambal from this recipe and that set the theme for the dinner.
    We also had Chicken and mustard cabbage soup
    Butter prawns - deep fried shell on prawns tossed in toasted coconut with curry leaves.
    Salt and pepper squid.
    Kingfish curry.
    Shrimp rice noodle rolls with choy sum.
    Plain white rice.
    Prawn crackers.

The Sambal is a cracking dish, I used it as a condiment with the squid and the prawns. Really complex flavour, instantly sweet from the sugar and then the burn from the chilli. Good and funky from the shrimp paste. Large jar sitting in the fridge, just need some more ideas to use it up.

Aaawe shucks :O That's some compliment coming from you. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Butter prawns seem to be the dish du jour in South East Asia, I never seem to pull it off myself (the flossy kind made with evaporated milk and some sort of malted cereal, iirc).

By the way, when you say shrimp rice noodle rolls do you mean chee cheong fun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

On Saturday night we went to Darwins on Aungier St for a big family dinner - our 'wedding dinner' so to speak (we eloped). We booked the private dining room in the back which is just MAGICAL - it's like walking into a romantic little nook full of fairy lights. Not to mention that we had our own bar and wait staff.

I had tiger prawns to start which were HUGE and served in a piri piri sauce. They still had their shells on so it was wonderfully messy and they were velvety, melt-in-the-mouth delicious.

The restaurant is renowned for its steaks so I followed with a medium-rare fillet steak which was about the size of my head. It was perfectly cooked and came with a range of sauces and sides including the most wonderful dinky little mini-broccoli.

Dessert was a heavy fudgy gooey chocolate brownie with ice-cream and of course there was lots of wine - a smooth Pinot Noir from Marlborough for the red drinkers and a crisp Pinot Grigio for the white lovers.

I'm already looking forward to going back and can safely say it's now my favourite restaurant in Dublin. I kind of want to go back right now after writing all that!!

On Saturday night we went to Darwins on Aungier St for a big family dinner - our 'wedding dinner' so to speak (we eloped). We booked the private dining room in the back which is just MAGICAL - it's like walking into a romantic little nook full of fairy lights. Not to mention that we had our own bar and wait staff.

I had tiger prawns to start which were HUGE and served in a piri piri sauce. They still had their shells on so it was wonderfully messy and they were velvety, melt-in-the-mouth delicious.

The restaurant is renowned for its steaks so I followed with a medium-rare fillet steak which was about the size of my head. It was perfectly cooked and came with a range of sauces and sides including the most wonderful dinky little mini-broccoli.

Dessert was a heavy fudgy gooey chocolate brownie with ice-cream and of course there was lots of wine - a smooth Pinot Noir from Marlborough for the red drinkers and a crisp Pinot Grigio for the white lovers.

I'm already looking forward to going back and can safely say it's now my favourite restaurant in Dublin. I kind of want to go back right now after writing all that!!

Are you doing the 40 days and 40 nights sort of wedding, hmc? :p is there going to be one for us F&D buddies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Are you doing the 40 days and 40 nights sort of wedding, hmc? :p is there going to be one for us F&D buddies?

Ha, why not?! So when should we drop round to yours for some sambal?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

On Saturday night we went to Darwins on Aungier St for a big family dinner

I dunno, I'm sure it's a lovely restaurant but I just feel queazy with the whole Charles Darwin name connection. Nature evolves it......and we cook it! :o:)

It does sound lovely though.

Wasn't Darwin a famous glutton? I came across 'Phylum Feasts' a while back, where people try to eat as many species as possible in one meal in tribute to him :)

Wasn't Darwin a famous glutton? I came across 'Phylum Feasts' a while back, where people try to eat as many species as possible in one meal in tribute to him :)

No doubt he was. The Victorians weren't noted for their conservation in that respect. I just think the link between Darwin (and what he has come to symbolise now with regards to all things living) and and having those once living things served up on a plate a bit odd.

Butter prawns seem to be the dish du jour in South East Asia, I never seem to pull it off myself (the flossy kind made with evaporated milk and some sort of malted cereal, iirc).

By the way, when you say shrimp rice noodle rolls do you mean chee cheong fun?

The butter prawns recipe had scrambled egg, garlic, toasted coconut and curry leaves - all mixed with shell on prawns. I didn't fancy the egg, so I left it out. Is that butter prawns?

Shrimp rice noodle rolls, as you say, are cheong fun. I buy them prepacked like this

image_168.jpg

Minder wrote: »
    The butter prawns recipe had scrambled egg, garlic, toasted coconut and curry leaves - all mixed with shell on prawns. I didn't fancy the egg, so I left it out. Is that butter prawns?

That's it, some recipes include evaporated milk with the eggs to make the floss. Must be eaten while it's still hot/warm. Turns to damp cardboard once cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Very, very simple dinner of rare ribeyes, fried polenta cake and green cabbage with ginger and lemon zest.

6ssVS6.jpg

Tonight's a night for a stew:D

IMG_20150202_191738_zpskmg2g0b5.jpg

Lamb livers in onion, mushroom and red wine gravy, mash and peas.

• Advertisement

Very, very simple dinner of rare ribeyes, fried polenta cake and green cabbage with ginger and lemon zest.

http://omg.wthax.org/6ssVS6.jpg

Tonight's a night for a stew:D

You seem to like your fried polenta cake? Does it take long to make?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You seem to like your fried polenta cake? Does it take long to make?

We love it - wet polenta too.
    Depending on the coarseness of the corn meal/polenta it takes 25 to 40 minutes to simmer in stock.
    You want to make it before hand so it can set.
    10 minutes or so to crisp it up in the pan.

Is that all there is to it? I have a bag of pretty coarse polenta that I use for coating chicken before frying so I might give it a bash over the next couple of days.

Lamb livers in onion, mushroom and red wine gravy, mash and peas.

Haven't had lambs liver in years. Must get some and disguise it so the kids will eat it. :eek:

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Is that all there is to it? I have a bag of pretty coarse polenta that I use for coating chicken before frying so I might give it a bash over the next couple of days.

Yup.
    Approx 4:1 stock:polenta
    I use a chicken stockpot thingy.
    Keep at a very low simmer, stirring often. Add more water if it gets too thick.
    You'll know when it's done.
    I pour it straight into an oiled non stick pan to cool and set, then fry it in same pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

My boyfriend is to blame for the awful photo, but we had a really nice vegetable lasagne, leftover roasties and a very sad looking salad that would have made the photo even worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tonight is on of my favourites that I haven't had for a long time: Saba no Miso - mackerel simmered in a ginger and miso broth served with udon noodles and broccoli.

photo%201_zpswmdgzbek.jpg

Mmmm, every bit as good as I remember it :)

Enchiladas verde, some cheese, some leftover roast chicken & more of last night's chili wedges. Very lovely and I got to use my new blender for the first time. Fresh, hot, tasty and easy. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I've been trying to create a dish I had in Fade St Social. Almost there.
    Chargrilled leeks with eggs, parmesan, hazelnuts and mayo.

2vahwy1.jpg

• Advertisement

polenta....

You'll know when it's done.

...because you'll be dodging lava-like gouts of polenta as it roils and bubbles like a volcanic mud lake venting steam. Dress like Red Adair, or use a spatter guard if you have one.

Dinner tonight was Kingfish curry.

image_169.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement