Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges / Tax / Demonstrations / Irish Water / Meter Installations etc etc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

durtybit wrote: »
    Am sure the legal system will be clogged for years if everyone waits for a court case.

A few carefully chosen test cases and/or handing collection to Revenue and that's that sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

L1011 wrote: »
    A few carefully chosen test cases and/or handing collection to Revenue and that's that sorted.

Scare tactics

How can revenue collect on behalf of a utility? This is not a tax.. (well at least they say it's not)

They will have to choose very carefully and not pick someone who has never agreed to be signed up nor is connected to the mains, however landed with a "Contract" that they never signed up to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Scare tactics

How can revenue collect on behalf of a utility? This is not a tax.. (well at least they say it's not)

They will have to choose very carefully and not pick someone who has never agreed to be signed up nor is connected to the mains, however landed with a "Contract" that they never signed up to.

Irish Water is *not* a utility company in the broadest sense of the term though. Of our 4.8 million population- there are fewer than 200,000 (including children etc) who are not availing of services undertaken by local authorities on behalf of Irish Water.

Irish Water is legally a state entity (much to the government's displeasure- however, they were informed this was the case by the EU Commission)- so as a state entity- why couldn't the Revenue Commissioners collect on their behalf? It would entail outsourcing significant contracts to Capita (SWS) or similar- as Revenue would never be allowed recruit an entire call centre- regardless of their current staffing complement..........

In any event- didn't the new law which came in allow all utilities- including the likes of Virgin/Eircom/ESB/Airtricity/BordGais etc etc- purloin salaries or social welfare disbursements, within certain limits, in satisfaction of debts? Think it came in in Jan?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Scare tactics

Because the state can make laws as required, remember. IW is a state owned and controlled agency, using Revenue to collect state debts is perfectly sound.

"agreed" or "signed up" is irrelevant to the requirement to pay - anyone who tells you that is selling you a shaggy dog tale.

The commission assigned to decide what to do will advise a return to charging - indeed it could easily be higher than it was. And there'll be no more faffing around - FF are not anti water charges, they're pro whatever gets them elected and being able to blame a bogeyman is enough for them; so they'll not oppose draconian collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rkrk

landlord didnt even mention it so neither did i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Just poped into my head.
    What about the water charges if you are renting and move out?
    We have only seen a bill once, it was in LL name as we never signed up or even got the pack. LL took the bill back so we would not even able to pay it if we wanted to. All notifications if there is any water cut offs go to LL.
    The power supply is in LL own name as well but it is prepaid so this wont be a problem. Any ideas how this will work out?

Who is "her" in this situation? Landlord?

L1011 wrote: »
    Who is "her" in this situation? Landlord?

Sorry changed it

If the LL has been holding on to the bills and its in their name, I don't see how you'd be liable. There is a risk they'll try pin it on you in future when charging is resumed, though.

But can LL keep the deposit then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

I'd imagine so yeah, for outstanding bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

If the landlord wants to retain some of the deposit to pay the bill you can get the bill put into your own name and forwarded to you at your new address. The landlord can then get a letter of non-liability (if they need to sell). t's up to you then if you pay or not

Beanybabog wrote: »
    t's up to you then if you pay or not

Except that it will almost certainly have quite a compulsion on it after the commission report is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rkrk

read back the last page or two

rkrk wrote: »
    read back the last page or two

I did thanks, the difference was that the bills never came to the house all of them went to 'LL and for me it just doesn't feel right to pay for something where either my name nor address is on.
    But will tell 'LL about the name change.
    Thanks a lot everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

My understanding is that as a landlord I am still liable for the arrears until 31 March 2016, correct? The name of the tenant was sent to Irish water in 2015.
    My idea is to call Irish water tomorrow and to ask for an oustanding balance of the arrears and discount it from deposit, but will they give the balance to me now or only when the registration reverts back to my name after the tenant is out?
    Will Irish water charge late payment fees later in the year?
    Sorry about asking but I could not find much info on this on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

GGTrek wrote: »
    My understanding is that as a landlord I am still liable for the arrears until 31 March 2016, correct? The name of the tenant was sent to Irish water in 2015.
    My idea is to call Irish water tomorrow and to ask for an oustanding balance of the arrears and discount it from deposit, but will they give the balance to me now or only when the registration reverts back to my name after the tenant is out?
    Will Irish water charge late payment fees later in the year?
    Sorry about asking but I could not find much info on this on the web.

I'd say the first thing to clarify with Irish Water is to ask whether there is any outstanding debt which is either assigned to your name or not assigned to anyone (in which case it will default to you as the owner).

If it is not the case and all the debt is assigned to the tenant's name (I understand you registered them which was the right thing to do to cover yourself), then you are not liable for anything and never will be so there is nothing for you to worry about (it will be Irish Water's problem to chase that debt with your former tenant once they have left, nothing to do with you anymore).

If some debt is indeed assigned to yourself or not assigned to anyone, they should have no problem giving you the balance and you can decide on the arrangement with your tenant based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭joeyboy12345

We are tennants who have moved out of our rental accommodation last wk. The landlord is looking for proof we paid our water bills before he returns our deposit. We owe 300 euro but i thaught these were squashed?do i need to pay or am i a fool if i do?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

We are tennants who have moved out of our rental accommodation last wk. The landlord is looking for proof we paid our water bills before he returns our deposit. We owe 300 euro but i thaught these were squashed?do i need to pay or am i a fool if i do?

Legally, it was only put on hold. So, by the letter of the law, the landlord is well within his rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Bills were supended this year, ones previous to that are still owed. The landlord will get stuck with the bill if you're not registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭joeyboy12345

TheChizler wrote:
    Bills were supended this year, ones previous to that are still owed. The landlord will get stuck with the bill if you're not registered.

I was registered and the bills are in my name only

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I was registered and the bills are in my name only
    In that case the landlord is probably fine so if you convince him you're registered he has no valid reason to keep the deposit. Some take a lot of convincing though.

The bill is still owed however.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jthepope2

If a property is being sold and a tenant is in place is it a requirement for the seller to produce proof that the tenant has paid their water charges? Or not?
    I'm a bit confused as I thought there was no need for the tenant to be registered with Irish Water, or anyone for that matter, as it was my understanding that Irish Water charging is suspended?
    Or is it a case that you must be 'registered' as a tenant or owner with Irish Water?
    I write this on behalf of a landlord selling a property, should the landlord ensure the tenant 'back' registers with Irish Water?
    Is there any link online on websites that offers clarity on this.
    Many thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The charges may be suspended but those already incurred are still owed. It's likely the buyer's solicitor will want proof of payment as part of the general due diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 missie1968

Does irish water still need to be paid before selling a house? I understand the charges are not yet abolished but may be soon, friend hoping to sell in next month or two

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭biscuithead

I rented an apartment from 2014 to 2016.

During that time I received correspondence from the agency demanding that I register with Irish Water so as to start receiving water bills. I made it quite clear that I would not be doing this and furthermore that this was a matter between me and IW and not with the agent.
    The agent proceeded to withhold 127 Euros from my security deposit as in-lieu payment of any water charges. As we all know the water charge has been abolished yet this agent continues to hold onto this money.

What avenue should I pursue in order to retrieve these funds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not paying your utility bills probably leaves you in breach of contract.

Make sure you get a receipt for the €127.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

But aren't the ones that paid being refunded?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭biscuithead

Victor wrote: »
    Not paying your utility bills probably leaves you in breach of contract.

Make sure you get a receipt for the €127.

I paid all my bills. Gas, and electric.

I simply didn't register with IW and the agent withheld this money. A person in a house who didn't register (and there are millions of them) didn't have anyone withholding money, garnishing wages, sending collection agency bills, etc.

Advertisement