Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus is worst airline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

robertxxx wrote: »
    Aer lingus are good it the dreadfully designed €800million T2 they fly from that's the problem.

What issues do you have with it?

Have to say, I find it a pleasure to transit in comparison with many other airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

uli84 wrote: »
    I hate that going from one level to another in some illogical order in T2

So you think it's illogical to go up up and away in an airport??
    T2 has the quickest processing rates for pax through security, more room to manoeuvre and better facilities, ie the multi faith room the dog rest room and shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mfceiling wrote: »
    Gozunda you do know that London Gatwick is the same airport for Ryanair as well as the other airlines?
    You do know that Ryanair fly to a closer airport to the centre of Rome than Aer Lingus do.
    You do know that Barcelona El Prat is used by both Ryanair and Aer Lingus?
    You do know that on the majority of times and dates you will find that Ryanair will be cheaper than Aer Lingus? You do know that Ryanair have an exemplary safety record? You do know that Ryanair have the youngest aircraft fleet in Europe?
    They're not that bad you know;)

Of course there are other destinations but that's not the issue ;)
    Just when you do land in a place nowhere near where you want to go (that does not have public transport links) it does fairly rack up the price of "low fares" in my experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

gumbo1 wrote: »
    So you think it's illogical to go up up and away in an airport??
    T2 has the quickest processing rates for pax through security, more room to manoeuvre and better facilities, ie the multi faith room the dog rest room and shops!

The quickest because it's bloody well empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Cienciano wrote: »
    The quickest because it's bloody well empty.

Was over there a couple of weeks ago having a coffee with two guys from work, went to a coffee shop at the gate area, friend of ours from T1 works there, went to say hello, she said from 07:30 that morning until 10am when we arrived she had served 12 people, 10 of them were staff

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    Was over there a couple of weeks ago having a coffee with two guys from work, went to a coffee shop at the gate area, friend of ours from T1 works there, went to say hello, she said from 07:30 that morning until 10am when we arrived she had served 12 people, 10 of them were staff

I was in there twice. First time I was about 2 hours early and it was the only flight in the terminal.
    Second time, boarding card said T2, went through security there only to find the flight was actually T1. I'm guessing they're sending people through to somehow justify having them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    You got a gift of a flight up to 500 euro and you can't figure how to spend it? And you're calling your friends stupid for getting it for you?

Life really isn't fair.

Well in this situation it isn't..it was a wedding present from a large group of friends....we have been on honeymoon and my OH wont have anymore days off to be able to go again so its 500 euro that is very likely to remain unspent....I cant even get flights for my parents on it (I tried and no joy). I could figure out how to spend it...I just can't actually spend it so it remains to me 'a stupid present'.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

solerina wrote: »
    Well in this situation it isn't..it was a wedding present from a large group of friends....we have been on honeymoon and my OH wont have anymore days off to be able to go again so its 500 euro that is very likely to remain unspent....I cant even get flights for my parents on it (I tried and no joy). I could figure out how to spend it...I just can't actually spend it so it remains to me 'a stupid present'.
    Stupid present????? Well youre a lovely thankful grateful person....

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    Stupid present????? Well youre a lovely thankful grateful person....

Vouchers are a stupid present. There's an amazing voucher that can be spent in any shop, never goes out of date, and if you don't spend it all in the one go.
    They're called All for One vouchers *

*(no, it's called money in case you thought I was serious)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Vouchers are a stupid present. There's an amazing voucher that can be spent in any shop, never goes out of date, and if you don't spend it all in the one go.
    They're called All for One vouchers *

*(no, it's called money in case you thought I was serious)
    ......youre the type to complain if you got a white iPhone instead of a black one? Jesus.

• Advertisement

I didnt give any conflicting 'statements', you said on you get on the plane and arrive near the city, country or area blah blah blah closo to where you want to go and then have to pay for the follow on journey to the city, its true but its only true for a number of destinations that are actually further away. Saying it happens on all flights is a myth, name one Airport that you dont have to pay for travel into the city after arrival with any airline?

These conflicting statements:

.... the whole arriving in the middle of nowhere is a myth
    ....its only a handful of destinations that are out of the way but some people prefer this as it can suit them better, just personal preference, ....

Back to the original question - which is it? a myth or fact? cant have both you know. Neither fudging your statement or RA using remote airports with city names helps your argument by the way.

To be honest cannot understand why any real customer would think this acceptable

So yes an answer and not 'blah blah" as you politely put it would be nice ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

gozunda wrote: »
    Of course there are other destinations but that's not the issue ;)
    Just when you do land in a place nowhere near where you want to go (that does not have public transport links) it does fairly rack up the price of "low fares" in my experience...

But Ryanair will always have a bus service available at a very cheap cost. Flew to milan bergamo with them a few years ago. They were €850 cheaper than Aer Lingus for my whole family. The bus from bergamo to milan took about 40 mins and was €5.50.

A lot of times it's better to fly to the smaller airports. Hop off plane, no time going through customs and your bags are waiting, then it's straight on to a bus/train/taxi. A bonus for me is hiring a car....no queues at the car rental desk and it's easier to navigate to your destination than trying to come from one of the bigger airports - especially when you are trying to get used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    ......youre the type to complain if you got a white iPhone instead of a black one? Jesus.

No. I'm the type of person who thinks vouchers are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

No. I'm the type of person who thinks vouchers are stupid.

I totally agree...I love getting presents, or even cards but not vouchers...they actually grate on me as I know I have wasted so many over the years (and I hate waste).

These conflicting statements:

Back to the original question - which is it? a myth or fact? cant have both you know. Neither fudging your statement or RA using remote airports with city names helps your argument by the way.

To be honest cannot understand why any real customer with the exception of RA would think this acceptable

So yes an answer and not 'blah blah" as you politely put it would be nice ...

No im not saying blah blah, thats what I read when reading your post, its a usual blah blah copy of everything your hear comment you made. If you read my reply to you properly you will see I answered your question, I will answer it again and dumb it down for you, you said when you arrive at a destination on a Ryanair flight that its in the middle of nowhere, I said its a myth, out of 150 odd destinations or so you arrive where it states, only an odd few would be different, this makes it a myth because its not all destinations, its a minority. So to answer your question, yes, they arrive in the middle of nowhere for about 5% of their destinations, its a myth that they arrive in the middle of nowhere on all their flights.
    Now kindly answer all the questions you were asked after your post by numerous of people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

robertxxx wrote: »
    Aer lingus are good it the dreadfully designed €800million T2 they fly from that's the problem.

Our flight from Chicago pulled into the old T1 area B gates and we had to walk all the way from T1 to T2 after a very long flight from Chicago we were not impressed. I actually preferred T1's area B as you could be off your flight and in the baggage area in 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I like getting vouchers as presents

No im not saying blah blah, thats what I read when reading your post, its ausual blah blah copy of everything your hear comment you made. If you read my reply to you properly you will see I answered your question, I will answer it again and dumb it down for you, you said when you arrive at a destination on a Ryanair flight that its in the middle of nowhere, I said its a myth, out of 150 odd destinations or so you arrive where it states, only an odd few would be different, this makes it a myth because its not all destinations, its a minority. So to answer your question, yes, they arrive in the middle of nowhere for about 5% of their destinations, its a myth that they arrive in the middle of nowhere on all their flights.
    Now kindly answer all the questions you were asked after your post by numerous of people

I was quoting your rude reply btw "blah blah" and I noticed the tone of post hasn't changed no matter. If you wish to be insulting that is a sure fire way of not getting any point across. I note that rather than again answering the question you attempt to fudge the issue or introduce insult. I also note that you also vainly trying to bring in other issues - try and stick with was asked just once. By the way I have to ask since when are you represent of "numerous" unless of course its MOL himself :rolleyes:

RA wouldn't have so much bad PR if they didn't try this and similar. OK they get publicity but they also got a reputation that is in tatters. I have flown with them and a wide range of other airlines. RA are the worst I have experienced.

I was quoting your rude reply btw "blah blah" and I noticed the tone of post hasn't changed no matter. If you wish to be insulting that is a sure fire way of not getting any point across. I note that rather than again answering the question you attempt to fudge the issue or introduce insult. I also note that you also vainly trying to bring in other issues - try and stick with was asked just once. By the way I have to ask since when are you represent of "numerous" unless of course its the great MOL himself :rolleyes:

RA wouldn't have so much bad PR if they didn't try stunts like this and similar. OK they get publicity but they also got a reputation that is in tatters. I have flown with them and a wide range of other airlines. RA stunts are the worst I have experienced. I pity those who have to work for them for a living.

I have no tone and apologise if you feel im insulting you but I haven't, we are going around in circles here and your obviously not understanding, I give up trying to explain it to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I've travelled with Aer Lingus plenty of times and can't say I've had any problems with them. They're better than Delta anyway. I like T2 as well. Although its been so long since I've been in T1 I've forgotten what its like. Is it only certain airlines or flights to certain destinations that depart from T1? All the European destinations I've been to, the flights always depart from T2.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing they're sending people through to somehow justify having them there.

Small regional flights are too small to put an airbridge upto them so have no choice but to go from pier B! There's enough "justification" in the staff being there for the other 17000 passengers that go through every day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Auldloon wrote: »
    I use them to fly back to Ireland 3 times a year and I find them ok but their website........grrrrr. I've got no choice but to use it otherwise I would never have gone back a second time.

Agree website is terrible.

I'm guessing they're sending people through to somehow justify having them there.

Small regional flights are too small to put an airbridge upto them so have no choice but to go from pier B! There's enough "justification" in the staff being there for the other 17000 passengers that go through every day!!

gumbo1 wrote: »

I was flying to Venice. The terminal was almost empty. Closer to 17 people in there instead of 17k

I was flying to Venice. The terminal was almost empty. Closer to 17 people in there instead of 17k

17000 per day, 4am-9pm, there are quiet periods during the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

they also got a reputation that is in tatters ...

Tatters? Across the internet, the most vocal critics of RA seem to be those who have never flown with them, usually because of "additional charges" and them flying to "the middle of nowhere". Anyone who books with them knows that it's perfectly easy to get the headline fee by saying "no" to all the suggested optional extras.

As for the "middle of nowhere" airports ... well, I've got four "Ryanair" airports within 200km and share that catchment area with about three million people. The last time I got an Aer Lingus flight, I had to drive 150km to the station to get a train at 6am to take me another 250km to some godforsaken place in the north of France ... what was it called? Oh, yeah Charles de Gaulle. The whole trip (including getting to the airport) cost seven times the RA fare ... and the flight was late. The only reason I flew with EI on that occasion was because someone else paid for the flight.

But for 500€ in vouchers, I'd change my name by deed poll and have at least a couple of overnight trips. Use a bit of imagination, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

People are moaning about walking from t2 to t1 and visa versa.

The fact is, aerlingus check in is based in terminal 2. Aerlingus do not control where they park their planes, this is completely down to the DAA and ATC.

Its not like a multi story car park where if you see a free space, you just pull in and park.

I have no tone and apologise if you feel im insulting you but I haven't, we are going around in circles here and your obviously not understanding, I give up trying to explain it to you

Yes of course you do ... Please try and understand what the post actually asked . A clear, concise answer, rather than the fudged reply above would suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Re Ryan air

You pay money Then add any number of ' additional charges'
    You get on the plane to sit on some of the most shocking worn seats I have ever experienced on any airline
    You arrive at your destination that ' may be' somewhere near a country/place/city where you wish to go to but then have to fork out more money to get to using another form of transport ...

My big issue with RA is that they have caused a race to the bottom for standards in safety and comfort that unfortunately other airlines have had to copy to stay in the market

Note to Aer Lingus - stop copying RA cattle class model and trying to beat them at this - it's a wrong move ...

I've read your biased and clueless posts so far and to be frank they are embarrassing. I will pick up one point though, to say that Ryanair are in a race to the bottom for standards in safety is both ignorant and potentially libellous. I'd think about withdrawing it. All that has been shown about Ryanair is that they fly with a perfectly safe, legally required quantity of fuel. Nothing more.

As for worn tired planes, well Ryanair have a very young fleet of planes and I've never had a problem with worn seats. Keep making nonsense baseless comments anyway, I'm sure it's great fun for you.

I really don't see what so difficult to understand. Price your trip with each airline servicing the route you need. Factor in extra costs and convenience and go with the option that best suits. Sometimes it will be Ryanair, sometimes not. It really isn't hard, although it does required some limited brainpower...

Advertisement