Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus is worst airline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

T2 is like the opening scene from 28 Days Later, deserted with one of two zombies around.

Anyhow, Aer Lingus is not that bad, I have had far worse experiences on Ryanair & Easyjet.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 3pigs

Bet it took you all Christmas to come up with that riveting pun.
    yea forest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

solerina wrote: »
    I currently hate Aer Lingus too...recently got a gift voucher (from well meaning, but ultimately stupid friends)....its for 500 euro and is in my name. However I rarely (if ever) fly aerlingus...as they don't tend to fly where I want to go, or if they do they are way more expensive than the alternatives. So now I am stuck trying to figure out how to use this voucher which expires in 10 months (oh yes, 1 year validity...another reason to hate them)..and your name must be on the ticket, my sister did spend enough on flights last week and we tried to use the voucher but as my name wasn't on the booking....no joy !!! Disaster..their voucher system needs to be more user friendly

You got a gift of a flight up to 500 euro and you can't figure how to spend it? And you're calling your friends stupid for getting it for you?

Life really isn't fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Last time I flew with AL was the strike action and another cabin crew had to be brought in to help us after sitting on the tarmac for about an hour, there is always a threat of strike action so that put me off flying with them. I shouldn't have to worry all the time when booking a trip home. They are not the worst though.

Go with Delta all the time now, prefer the route and can fly to an aiport closer to home other than that the shitehole ORD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

3pigs wrote: »
    it,s a 100 times better than con air [ ryan air ]

You pay your money, get on the plane and arrive at your destination. How is that a con?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

You pay your money, get on the plane and arrive at your destination. How is that a con?

This is exactly it, any flight i'm on I board, sit down, put on my iPhone (either a film or music), if i'm in the mood i'll get a coffee, sit back and relax, disembark and do what I have to do at my destination, I dont get what people expect on a flight or what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Aer Lingus are actually my favourite airline. I fly with them every time I'm going to America. Loads of room, great service, great food. Most importantly, the planes are really well looked after. You can barely feel the plane take off and land.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Other than the awful experiences of passengers stranded in Dub yesterday. I've always had a great time flying Aer Lingus. I'll always choose them when going to America. I've tried some of the other transatlantic operators and I always return to Aer Lingus. I do most of my flying around Europe, and I'll always try Aer Lingus first. I've yet to fly with Michael o'Learys new lovey dovey brand of Ryanair. Maybe they'll surprise me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

[-0-] wrote: »
    Aer Lingus are actually my favourite airline. I fly with them every time I'm going to America. Loads of room, great service, great food. Most importantly, the planes are really well looked after. You can barely feel the plane take off and land.

British airways give you a toothbrush though. Hmmm :D

Nah I quite liked flying with AL to NY

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

billie1b wrote: »
    This is exactly it, any flight i'm on I board, sit down, put on my iPhone (either a film or music), if i'm in the mood i'll get a coffee, sit back and relax, disembark and do what I have to do at my destination, I dont get what people expect on a flight or what they want.

It's still a service. So I would imagine you'd at least expect good customer service. Also, if you use your iPhone for the entire trip, you must not be flying very far. Anybody notice how Aer Lingus now hustle the sh!t out of passengers. There's announcements and offers all throughout the flights, at least on trans Atlantic

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    It's still a service. So I would imagine you'd at least expect good customer service. Also, if you use your iPhone for the entire trip, you must not be flying very far. Anybody notice how Aer Lingus now hustle the sh!t out of passengers. There's announcements and offers all throughout the flights, at least on trans Atlantic

My longest flight was 5h 30mins, I used my iPhone the two hours beforehand in the airport, on the flight and even the 1hr 30 minute drive to my destination after the flight, not that we were discussing battery life on iPhones. The customer service was good on most flights, had my ups and downs on several airlines but it really doesn't bother me, we all have our bad days in work, we are only human

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wompa1 wrote: »

What kind of announcements? I have flown several times to America with them and the only one I can think of is the Unicef charity envelope which you can fill with all all currencies and they collect it at the end of the flight. The other one is Sky Shopping which is duty free and 99% of people ignore that anyway. Apart from that, nothing..

[-0-] wrote: »

I'm curious, seems like you've inside knowledge of airlines that do not maintain their aircraft up to standards, do you mind saying who it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    You got a gift of a flight up to 500 euro and you can't figure how to spend it? And you're calling your friends stupid for getting it for you?

Life really isn't fair.

Really though, the Aer Lingus vouchers are the most retarded vouchers I've ever seen.

http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/voucher_terms_and_conditions.html
    Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of issue.

So make sure you buy it in the currency of the airport the person will be departing from, otherwise they cannot use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

solerina wrote: »
    I currently hate Aer Lingus too...recently got a gift voucher (from well meaning, but ultimately stupid friends)....its for 500 euro and is in my name. However I rarely (if ever) fly aerlingus...as they don't tend to fly where I want to go, or if they do they are way more expensive than the alternatives. So now I am stuck trying to figure out how to use this voucher which expires in 10 months (oh yes, 1 year validity...another reason to hate them)..and your name must be on the ticket, my sister did spend enough on flights last week and we tried to use the voucher but as my name wasn't on the booking....no joy !!! Disaster..their voucher system needs to be more user friendly

Ehhh....am I hallucinating? Did I really just read that? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah if I got a 500 euro flight voucher
    I tell ya
    be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

To be honest, have always received very good service from the aer lingus staff, my only issues have been on return legs with non- air lingus staff manning their desks and doing a poor job of it, with massive queues and confusion aplenty.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah if I got a 500 euro flight voucher
    I tell ya
    be sorted

He's not ungreatful with the voucher, its with the terms and conditions, if you live in the UK and buy a voucher from Aer Lingus its in Sterling, you are only allowed to book a flight from the UK or NI in sterling with them, you can't book from LHR to DUB and then DUB to JFK for example, it has to be all in one return flight. They also wont let you use the voucher for someone else, it has to be flights in the name of the voucher, very silly rules to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

billie1b wrote: »
    He's not ungreatful with the voucher, its with the terms and conditions, if you live in the UK and buy a voucher from Aer Lingus its in Sterling, you are only allowed to book a flight from the UK or NI in sterling with them, you can't book from LHR to DUB and then DUB to JFK for example, it has to be all in one return flight. They also wont let you use the voucher for someone else, it has to be flights in the name of the voucher, very silly rules to be honest.

The voucher isn't in sterling though. The complaint is that Aer Lingus don't fly where s/he wants to go (they fly to loads of destinations!) and s/he can't think of anywhere to go in the next 10 months. Rules are a bit restrictive alright, but it's hardly a sh1te present. I'd be delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've always flown Aer Lingus and always found them excellent but something happened on a flight back from Spain back in June that disgusted me.

Our seats were aisle seats; my partner's was (for example) BC and my seat was the aisle seat directly across from him (say BD). So our seats were both aisle seats and we were beside each other, separated by the aisle.

So anyway, we boarded the plane and there was a woman with no legs sitting in my partner's seat. There was an empty seat beside her in the middle, and her husband was sitting in the window seat.

Of course, my partner said nothing to her and he was sidling in to sit in the middle seat. He's a big fella but he wasn't going to object to the woman needing the aisle seat and he didn't mind sitting in the middle.

As he was sitting down, a steward said to him "Can I see your ticket, sir?" and he handed it over. The steward said to the woman "Sorry madam, you're actually sitting in this gents' seat, could you move into the middle seat?"
    My partner said "No, no it's OK, I'll sit here, it's fine."

The steward said "No, sir, everyone must sit in their assigned seat."
    The woman said "My husband and I actually paid for the extra-leg room seats right in front of these seats but there are people sitting in those, so we're sitting here."

The steward proceeded to shake his head and said "Look, we're running behind now, you have to move into your seat now."

The husband piped up "My wife, as you can see, is disabled. There are people in sitting in the seats we PAID for and you won't move them for some reason, so we're sitting here. This man", he gestured to my partner, "doesn't mind sitting in the middle, he's said so. I have to physically lift my wife into a seat and I am not doing it here and now in front of everyone. Give her some dignity."

To cut a long story short, the steward wasn't having any of it and he argued loudly with the husband in front of everyone.

The poor man was close to tears and the wife was so embarrassed.
    My partner was told he had to sit in his seat so he did, after the husband lifted his wife.

The husband threatened to sue Aer Lingus and the steward said "Do that, sir, but maybe after we land, eh?"
    Everyone in earshot was disgusted.

The people in front, the ones sitting in that woman's seat, ignored the whole conversation too, which was awful.

The steward came round an hour later with complimentary drinks for the woman and her husband but I'll tell you what, the way they treated that woman and her husband was absolutely dispicable and if they could treat a disabled woman like that, it makes me wonder where the buck stops.

Sorry for the length of this story, but just wanted to share my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

fussyonion wrote: »
    I've always flown Aer Lingus and always found them excellent but something happened on a flight back from Spain back in June that disgusted me.

Our seats were aisle seats; my partner's was (for example) BC and my seat was the aisle seat directly across from him (say BD). So our seats were both aisle seats and we were beside each other, separated by the aisle.

So anyway, we boarded the plane and there was a woman with no legs sitting in my partner's seat. There was an empty seat beside her in the middle, and her husband was sitting in the window seat.

Of course, my partner said nothing to her and he was sidling in to sit in the middle seat. He's a big fella but he wasn't going to object to the woman needing the aisle seat and he didn't mind sitting in the middle.

As he was sitting down, a steward said to him "Can I see your ticket, sir?" and he handed it over. The steward said to the woman "Sorry madam, you're actually sitting in this gents' seat, could you move into the middle seat?"
    My partner said "No, no it's OK, I'll sit here, it's fine."

The steward said "No, sir, everyone must sit in their assigned seat."
    The woman said "My husband and I actually paid for the extra-leg room seats right in front of these seats but there are people sitting in those, so we're sitting here."

The steward proceeded to shake his head and said "Look, we're running behind now, you have to move into your seat now."

The husband piped up "My wife, as you can see, is disabled. There are people in sitting in the seats we PAID for and you won't move them for some reason, so we're sitting here. This man", he gestured to my partner, "doesn't mind sitting in the middle, he's said so. I have to physically lift my wife into a seat and I am not doing it here and now in front of everyone. Give her some dignity."

To cut a long story short, the steward wasn't having any of it and he argued loudly with the husband in front of everyone.

The poor man was close to tears and the wife was so embarrassed.
    My partner was told he had to sit in his seat so he did, after the husband lifted his wife.

The husband threatened to sue Aer Lingus and the steward said "Do that, sir, but maybe after we land, eh?"
    Everyone in earshot was disgusted.

The people in front, the ones sitting in that woman's seat, ignored the whole conversation too, which was awful.

The steward came round an hour later with complimentary drinks for the woman and her husband but I'll tell you what, the way they treated that woman and her husband was absolutely dispicable and if they could treat a disabled woman like that, it makes me wonder where the buck stops.

Sorry for the length of this story, but just wanted to share my experience.

You'd expect that sort of attitude from Ryanair staff before Michael O'Leary's promise.

branie wrote: »
    You'd expect that sort of attitude from Ryanair staff before Michael O'Leary's promise.

Ridiculous comment!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 rodie1990

Flew Aer Lingus plenty of times, they're grand. Except when you miss a connecting flight and have to stand at their desk in LHR for 7 hours straight before being put on a later flight. Not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't think AerLingus is that bad, I've flown with them a lot and they aren't bad they offer a better service despite delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What's the secret in getting from T2 To T1 for a smoke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

What's the secret in getting from T2 To T1 for a smoke?

You need to head towards the gates that start at 400. You can get to them from the Slaney Bar in T2.
    Walk down, following the signs for gates marked 400 and keep walking..you'll notice it all looks very deserted with an escalator that only goes one way-down.

Keep walking, stay left and eventually you will be in T1, on the main shopping street.
    Keep going until you see the bar upstairs on the mezzanine level. You can smoke in the bar's beer garden.

It took me fifteen mins to walk it and I thought I was lost.

fussyonion wrote: »
    You need to head towards the gates that start at 400. You can get to them from the Slaney Bar in T2.
    Walk down, following the signs for gates marked 400 and keep walking..you'll notice it all looks very deserted with an escalator that only goes one way-down.

Keep walking, stay left and eventually you will be in T1, on the main shopping street.
    Keep going until you see the bar upstairs on the mezzanine level. You can smoke in the bar's beer garden.

It took me fifteen mins to walk it and I thought I was lost.

Thanks for that.

So there are NO signs indicating access from T1 to T2? That must be to keep people in T2 and spending there!

It's not easy is it? But if I have time next time I'm in T2 I'll definitely have a go!

BTW Aer Lingus is fine. I always use them where possible, loved that I could hike my handbag/laptop bag along with the hand luggage wheelie.

That was verboten on Ryanair, although I see that we can now add a wine bag..., but no handbag or laptop bag...doh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement