Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus is worst airline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

billie1b wrote: »
    I'm curious, seems like you've inside knowledge of airlines that do not maintain their aircraft up to standards, do you mind saying who it is?

You jumped to that conclusion all by your self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

This post has been deleted.

Edit: removed comment as smoking already covered, I see...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Certainly not the worst, but definetly an over rated airline as far as Dublin to Europe flights are concerned. Find them no better than ryanair. In fact their lax enforcement of hand luggage size is a big turnoff. When people are let on with huge hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Certainly not the worst, but definetly an over rated airline as far as Dublin to Europe flights are concerned. Find them no better than ryanair. In fact their lax enforcement of hand luggage size is a big turnoff. When people are let on with huge hand luggage.

The fines for oversize hand luggage at Ryanair was one of the reasons why the airline was so unpopular until recently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

First world problems.

The fake leather is fraying in some of the older 737s and I swear some of the cabin crew are wearing JOOP these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Just got off a Aer Lingus flight from Chicago yesterday from our experince of flying long haul which is supposed to be Aer Lingus best product. Having flown united, British Airways, Air Transit and Amercian. Id have to rank them behind them. They are a little better than US Airways. The other airlines come around with water and juice once an hour Aer Lingus dont. The seats are less padded than the other airlines and their in flight entertainment system you almost have to punch to get it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

branie wrote: »
    The fines for oversize hand luggage at Ryanair was one of the reasons why the airline was so unpopular until recently

80 million pax would disagree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That is annoying when you go to the trouble of getting the right size hand luggage. And the people with oversized take ages to carry it through the plane and find storage in the lockers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Re Ryan air
    You pay your money, get on the plane and arrive at your destination. How is that a con?

You pay money Then add any number of ' additional charges'
    You get on the plane to sit on some of the most shocking worn seats I have ever experienced on any airline
    You arrive at your destination that ' may be' somewhere near a country/place/city where you wish to go to but then have to fork out more money to get to using another form of transport ...

My big issue with RA is that they have caused a race to the bottom ... that unfortunately other airlines have had to copy to stay in the market

Note to Aer Lingus - stop copying RA cattle class model and trying to beat them at this - it's a wrong move ...

gozunda wrote: »
    Re Ryan air

You get on the plane to sit on some of the most shocking worn seats I have ever experienced on any airline
    You arrive at your destination that ' may be' somewhere near a country/place/city where you wish to go to but then have to fork out more money to get to using another form of transport ...

My big issue with RA is that they have caused a race to the bottom for standards in safety and comfort that unfortunately other airlines have had to copy to stay in the market

Note to Aer Lingus - stop copying RA cattle class model and trying to beat them at this - it's a wrong move ...

Here we go again with a totally uneducated comment, Ryanair have a 100% safety record, you can't beat the facts, the pilots are trained to the same standards as any other Irish airline, the whole arriving in the middle of nowhere is a myth and it has the newest fleet of aircraft in Europe that are well maintained

• Advertisement

Here we go again with a totally uneducated comment, Ryanair have a 100% safety record, you can't beat the facts, the pilots are trained to the same standards as any other Irish airline, the whole arriving in the middle of nowhere is a myth and it has the newest fleet of aircraft in Europe that are well maintained

Yes Micheal :D
    As to arriving in the middle if nowhere and then paying for additional transport
    This is from from (their) own website
    - an example.

"Paris-Beauvais Airport Shuttle
    "Beauvais Airport is located approximately 85 Km from the centre of Paris. There is no rail service from the airport but there is a bus service. Journey time is approximately 1 hour 15 mins. Cost is €15.00.

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/flights-to-paris-beauvais/

Uneducated do I need a PhD to experience these things?? Do note these are personal experience of all of the above. .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Uneducated?? Do note these are personal experience of all of the above. The recent outing by a senior RA pilot and near misses due to minimum fuel has left no doubt in my mind of what the truth on this is.

Tell us what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Uneducated?? Do note these are personal experience of all of the above. The recent outing by a senior RA pilot and near misses due to minimum fuel has left no doubt in my mind of what the truth on RA race to the bottom.

What near misses?

Note: personal experience of all of the above. The recent outing by a senior RA pilot and neAr misses due to minimum fuel has left no doubt in my mind of what the truth on this is.

Yet again your believing a rag journalism programme that make their money on gutter programmes that rarely portray the truth. What about the 11 other airlines that declared emegencies that night in Spain including an Aer Lingus one, I suppose it wasn't ATC fault because they gave the Spanish airlines priority landing over everyone else and the lack of comminication with them. What about the Aer Lingus flight that declared a fuel emergency the other night over Dublin after only holding for 30 minutes? The Aer Lingus A330 that engine failed on take-off in LAX and then a few weeks later the same thing happened again, the fire in the Aer Lingus aircraft cabin on the ramp of Dublin airport caus the staff left the oven on. It was proven that all 3 FR planes had sufficient fuel but dont let them facts get in your way of a good story for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Some airports in fairness are a bit out of the way and when you factor in bus/train costs and the inconvenience of it, sometimes Ryanair isn't the best option. But people should know all this before they make a booking.

I flipping HATE the colour scheme, decor and overall look of Ryanair planes. I know that doesn't matter so long as they are safe and fit for purpose, but they look so tacky and cheap, it really doesn't help with the impression people have of them (or maybe it does, maybe they want to be seen as cheap). And the uniforms of the flight attendants are really awful too- I know it's not exactly the most glamorous job in the world but the women in particular must feel like $hite wearing those disgusting things.

I find the staff so much nicer and so much more efficient with Aer Lingus and I just prefer the general overall experience with them. But if Ryanair gets me there cheaply, safely and on time, I'm happy to go with them. It is what it is with Ryanair, you know what you're getting. I just definitely prefer to fly Aer Lingus.

Meangadh wrote: »
    Some airports in fairness are a bit out of the way and when you factor in bus/train costs and the inconvenience of it, sometimes Ryanair isn't the best option. But people should know all this before they make a booking.

I flipping HATE the colour scheme, decor and overall look of Ryanair planes. I know that doesn't matter so long as they are safe and fit for purpose, but they look so tacky and cheap, it really doesn't help with the impression people have of them (or maybe it does, maybe they want to be seen as cheap). And the uniforms of the flight attendants are really awful too- I know it's not exactly the most glamorous job in the world but the women in particular must feel like $hite wearing those disgusting things.

I find the staff so much nicer and so much more efficient with Aer Lingus and I just prefer the general overall experience with them. But if Ryanair gets me there cheaply, safely and on time, I'm happy to go with them. It is what it is with Ryanair, you know what you're getting. I just definitely prefer to fly Aer Lingus.

Yes the colour is disgusting, especially the interior, its only a handful of destinations that are out of the way but some people prefer this as it can suit them better, just personal preference, I dont mind either airline, fly with both but it peeves me when people go on about Ryanair being unsafe when its one of the safest airlines in Europe, if not the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm looking at flights from dublin to gatwick in August for myself and the family.

Ryanair €509.90

Aer Lingus €604.90

Thanks Mick - there's 95 notes in my arse pocket straightaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'm looking at flights from dublin to gatwick in August for myself and the family.

Ryanair €509.90

Aer Lingus €604.90

Thanks Mick - there's 95 notes in my arse pocket straightaway.

That sounds extremely expensive just going from Dublin to Gatwick, how many are in your family?? Even for 4 people that sounds a hell of a lot- are you sure you got that right?

.... the whole arriving in the middle of nowhere is a myth
    ....its only a handful of destinations that are out of the way but some people prefer this as it can suit them better, just personal preference, ....

Well which is it? a myth or fact? cant have both you know. Personally I don't know of anyone who prefers to be dumped somewhere nowhere near where you want to go.

As for personal preference similar scenario:
    John hails taxi for Galway city centre. Taximan: Na I can only drop you in Salthill. John goes finds another taxi.

At least the Taximan doesn't fudge the issue and call it Galyway_Salthill... :rolleyes:

Well which is it? a myth or fact? cant have both you know. Personally I don't know of anyone who prefers to be dumped somewhere nowhere near where you want to go.

As for personal preference similar scenario:
    John hails taxi for Galway city centre. Taximan: Na I can only drop you in Salthill. John goes finds another taxi.

At least the Taximan doesn't fudge the issue and call it Galyway_Salthill... :rolleyes:

So after giving out about safety and other issues the only thing you can come back to is a destination issue, your gonna have to try harder, everyone knows that Paris BVA, Brussels CRL and the likes are between 45mins to an hour away from the city centre but yet the flights are still full all the time, your gonna have to come up with something better to be honest

• Advertisement

That sounds extremely expensive just going from Dublin to Gatwick, how many are in your family?? Even for 4 people that sounds a hell of a lot- are you sure you got that right?

2 adults and 3 kids...

50.90 per person, per leg of journey

So after giving out about safety and other issues the only thing you can come back to is a destination issue, your gonna have to try harder, everyone knows that Paris BVA, Brussels CRL and the likes are between 45mins to an hour away from the city centre but yet the flights are still full all the time, your gonna have to come up with something better to be honest

Yes and one of the main 'issues" was destinations - of which you have given the two conflicting statements detailed above. You didn't answer the question I then asked. Please do. The contents of your posts are more like PR statements from RA to be honest ;)

Take "Paris" Beauvais" for example

"Paris-Beauvais Airport Shuttle
    "Beauvais Airport is located approximately 85 Km from the centre of Paris. There is no rail service from the airport but there is a bus service. Journey time is approximately 1 hour 15 mins. Cost is €15.00.

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/flights-to-paris-beauvais/

That's 1 hour 15 minutes - "Approximately" (not 45 minutes) In total that's is €30 euro + additional metro fares to get where you are going. Making it definitely not a cheap or low fare option in my opinion. And yes I have witnessed passengers who booked and because it was labelled "Paris" thought they were actually landing in Paris....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Midnight Shadow

I think we all harbour some romantic idea that travel by air should be "luxurious" in some way....however the airline companies see it as "how many punters can we stuff into a metal tube, as quickly as possible....drop them to their destination...and stuff the tube again asap with more punters". Alas, the days of customer-centred air travel are all but gone for the majority of us.

As airline companies go.. I think Aer Lingus in general try to give a good service...I have had only good experiences with them.

Ryanair on the other hand......

Yes and one of the main 'issues" was destinations - of which you have given the two conflicting statements detailed above. You didn't answer the question I then asked. Please do. The contents of your posts are more like PR statements from RA to be honest ;)

I didnt give any conflicting 'statements', you said on you get on the plane and arrive near the city, country or area blah blah blah closo to where you want to go and then have to pay for the follow on journey to the city, its true but its only true for a number of destinations that are actually further away. Saying it happens on all flights is a myth, name one Airport that you dont have to pay for travel into the city after arrival with any airline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Ryanair are usually cheaper than Aer Lingus but not always, especially for flights booked last minute.

For example, current live one-way Euro prices on the Dublin-Gatwick route:

2nd Jan: 158 Ryanair, 139 Aer Lingus
    3rd Jan: 189 Ryanair, 129 Aer Lingus.
    4th Jan: 158 Ryanair, 133 Aer Lingus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

For short haul (< 2 hours) I chose Ryanair. I am just interested in getting there as quickly as possible. The Aer Lingus (Zone) boarding system, gets on my nerves and they make no effort to make up time when they are late. For a longer flight I will generally fly with Aer Lingus, as I am not too bothered by slow boarding etc.

Terminal wise give me T2 any day. It takes an age to get from the security, which is atrocious in Dublin airport, to your gate.

I see Aer Lingus are advertising a new super duper sale for April flights. Looking at flights to the States here and I see no reduction in price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Re Ryan air

My big issue with RA is that they have caused a race to the bottom for standards in safety and comfort that unfortunately other airlines have had to copy to stay in the market

I've never experienced these 'additional charges' though, apart from the one time I left my boarding pass at home when I left in a rush. It was an exorbitant charge to print a piece of paper (€40 or €60, can't remember?) but that's how they operate - give you a cheap fare but make you pay dearly for any errors you've made. What kind of charges are you referring to?

The destinations argument is silly - if they don't fly to the city you are going to, then just don't use them!

And I find their seating a little cramped but not particularly uncomfortable (at 5'11, standard build and 27y/o but with stiff knees). I'm not expecting luxury, I'm expecting affordability - it's the same reason I don't complain about the bus not being as comfortable as a taxi.

I haven't flown Aer Lingus in a good five years mind, but that's because I tend to find them more expensive than the likes of Delta to the US, who offer a better experience in my opinion, and they are far more expensive than Etihad to Australia (who offer an far, far better service). On shorter flights in particular I only really look at cost - and so they're way out of the market within the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Aer lingus are good it the dreadfully designed €800million T2 they fly from that's the problem.

Gozunda you do know that London Gatwick is the same airport for Ryanair as well as the other airlines?

You do know that Ryanair fly to a closer airport to the centre of Rome than Aer Lingus do.

You do know that Barcelona El Prat is used by both Ryanair and Aer Lingus?

You do know that on the majority of times and dates you will find that Ryanair will be cheaper than Aer Lingus? You do know that Ryanair have an exemplary safety record? You do know that Ryanair have the youngest aircraft fleet in Europe?

They're not that bad you know;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

COYW wrote: »
    I see Aer Lingus are advertising a new super duper sale for April flights. Looking at flights to the States here and I see no reduction in price.
    This actually reminds me, not sure if it is still the case or not, but in 2008 it cost about €40 more to book a NYC --> Dublin flight from Ireland than it did to book it from the US (their website picked up on your location). As in, for the exact same economy ticket, on the exact same flight. That did leave me quite unimpressed.

Advertisement