Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus is worst airline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

can't help but read the thread title in a Polish or Russian accent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

OP is full of sh1t, if he really flys as much as he says then he would have a gold circle card and skips all the ques and picks his seat.

Aer Lingus are a fine airline and a lot better than British airways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I love Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Air Lingus is ok. It's grand, nothing special. Average.
    Like this post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

I currently hate Aer Lingus too...recently got a gift voucher (from well meaning, but ultimately stupid friends)....its for 500 euro and is in my name. However I rarely (if ever) fly aerlingus...as they don't tend to fly where I want to go, or if they do they are way more expensive than the alternatives. So now I am stuck trying to figure out how to use this voucher which expires in 10 months (oh yes, 1 year validity...another reason to hate them)..and your name must be on the ticket, my sister did spend enough on flights last week and we tried to use the voucher but as my name wasn't on the booking....no joy !!! Disaster..their voucher system needs to be more user friendly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

^Easy peasy! Go to New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

You know you can walk from T2 to T1 once you're through security and back again if you really want to get a smoke in before your flight.

Also the length of the walk will negate the negative effects of your smoke, so it's win-win really

This is the best kept secret in Dublin airport for some reason. Even some of the bar workers in T2 don't seem to know. Also, I had an Irish breakfast on an aer lingus flight today, and it was surprisingly high quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The OP is clearly either full of crap or working for Ryanair (or both). I've never had a problem with Aer Lingus, always had pleasant flights, nice staff and none of the passive aggressive hatred that you get from Ryanair staff.

Also T2 is light-years better than the absolute sh**hole that is T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

The OP is clearly either full of crap or working for Ryanair (or both). I've never had a problem with Aer Lingus, always had pleasant flights, nice staff and none of the passive aggressive hatred that you get from Ryanair staff.

Michael O'Leary has promised that staff will be nicer from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I haven't really had a problem with them until recently where I was delayed on a flight to New York for THREE AND A HALF HOURS, something to do with it being too windy to board passengers, this despite passengers going to Boston and Chicago being boarded a half an hour previous! People were getting very cranky and it was quite annoying having to wait so long. Despite that, I always find their international service better than average- you get a free soft drink, your 3 course dinner, water, a light snack before landing and plenty of new movies and tv shows to keep you occupied. The staff can be a mixed bunch though- I haven't come across many rude ones but some of them openly bitch about fellow staff and passengers. I had some young woman chatting to her male co worker about a passenger who had asked her what "the menu" was for later. I quote "the menu?? What was she like, its only 2 options and she looked horrified, she isnt in a 5 star hotel", all within complete earshot of me as she was pouring me a drink....bit unprofessional!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Why does he have to be full of crap? I've been on Aer Lingus fligus and Ryanair, they are both the same, on some Aer Lingus flights the staff were rude, arrogant and grunting at people and other flights were fine, same with Ryanair, most flights ok, some of them not. We all have our bad days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The staff can be a mixed bunch though- I haven't come across many rude ones but some of them openly bitch about fellow staff and passengers. I had some young woman chatting to her male co worker about a passenger who had asked her what "the menu" was for later. I quote "the menu?? What was she like, its only 2 options and she looked horrified, she isnt in a 5 star hotel", all within complete earshot of me as she was pouring me a drink....bit unprofessional!

Etihad do have a menu :-) But then as an airline they are the equivelant of a 5 Star Hotel...Aer Lingus would be a Travellodge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

griffdaddy wrote: »
    This is the best kept secret in Dublin airport for some reason. Even some of the bar workers in T2 don't seem to know. Also, I had an Irish breakfast on an aer lingus flight today, and it was surprisingly high quality.

I found that out the first time I went to Terminal 2. It had Terminal 2 on my booking, waited about 30 minutes in line for the bag drop. (the check-in line was shorter!!) then proceeded to walk for about 20-25 minutes to get to my gate which was in Terminal 1. Thought they had some balls to send ya all around the airport for the sake of the bag drop...but may have been due to it being so new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I've never had a bad experience with Aer Lingus and never had a good one with Ryanair.

I have found some AL Regional staff less professional however and I think it's something AL should address if they're going to keep increasing the amount of business they use them for.

• Site Banned Posts: 50 ✭✭hatchets mcgovern

Are lingus to New York was very pleasant. Great airline!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Frequent flyer here, Going to Faro last year and on two occasions I went by Aer lingus both times delayed by nearly an hour while at the same time(5 mins diff) Ryanair took of as scheduled to the very same Faro ?.

I do find Aerlingus has a better atmosphere ? But I don't have any problems with Ryanair at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Qantas never crashed.
    Oh yes they have, google Qantas Bangkok and see if it shows up. They also had a very close call with an inflight explosion involving oxygen bottles.

Flew in here a couple of days ago on Turkish Airlines, wow, they were amazing, I'm actually looking forward to flying back with them on Saturday. New B737-800 with mood lighting, good legroom, excellent entertainment system, 2 meals services on a 4.5 hour flight, free drinks and a 30 KG baggage allowance with no limit on the number of bags. The flight was much better than my last trip on an Emirates B777 with 10 across seating.

Aer Lingus could learn a lot from Turkish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

smurfjed wrote: »
    Oh yes they have, google Qantas Bangkok and see if it shows up. They also had a very close call with an inflight explosion involving oxygen bottles.

Flew in here a couple of days ago on Turkish Airlines, wow, they were amazing, I'm actually looking forward to flying back with them on Saturday. New B737-800 with mood lighting, good legroom, excellent entertainment system, 2 meals services on a 4.5 hour flight, free drinks and a 30 KG baggage allowance with no limit on the number of bags. The flight was much better than my last trip on an Emirates B777 with 10 across seating.

Aer Lingus could learn a lot from Turkish.

Hear that a lot about Turkish. They aren't the most obvious airline when you think of connections to Australia Africa etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

All I can say is the OP apparently never flew with Lufthansa - leg room is however far you can press your knees into the seat in front, seats are about 5cm narrower than on Aer Lingus flights, personel are just about not outright rude when they throw you that half a breadroll that they call the "in flight meal", and they charge you upward of €200 for a half-hour in country flight in Germany.

Yes, Aer Lingus is no-frills. But they have the grace to make their prices no-frills as well, and I love them for that.

• Advertisement

I see Aer Lingus are cancelling flights to Dublin this morning because of the weather. Ryanair seem to think it's fine and are landing flights in Dub.

Shenshen wrote: »
    All I can say is the OP apparently never flew with Lufthansa - leg room is however far you can press your knees into the seat in front, seats are about 5cm narrower than on Aer Lingus flights, personel are just about not outright rude when they throw you that half a breadroll that they call the "in flight meal", and they charge you upward of €200 for a half-hour in country flight in Germany.

Yes, Aer Lingus is no-frills. But they have the grace to make their prices no-frills as well, and I love them for that.

Flown 12 flight segments with Lufthansa since July. Width of seat not an issue for me but leg room is and Lufthansa leg room is fine.
    In my experience the staff have always been pleasant and I can have a couple of cups of coffee and or a glass of wine without forking out any extra cash.
    Never flown in country with Lufthansa, all my flights were inter country, mostly Dublin to Sofia.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Flown 12 flight segments with Lufthansa since July. Width of seat not an issue for me but leg room is and Lufthansa leg room is fine.
    In my experience the staff have always been pleasant and I can have a couple of cups of coffee and or a glass of wine without forking out any extra cash.

Nope, sure that's easily covered by the €100+ you're paying extra for the flight compared to Aer Lingus.

I'm a reasonably short person (163cm) and I find Lufthansa's legroom to be laughable. And that's when the seat width becomes an issue for me, if I can't turn myself to sit at a 45 degree angle to fit my legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I see Aer Lingus are cancelling flights to Dublin this morning because of the weather. Ryanair seem to think it's fine and are landing flights in Dub.

Perhaps it's the ATR prop planes AL use on many UK flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

Rather than the airline "seeming to think" it is okay or not to land, it is down to the published limits of the airplane which is dictated by the manufacturer being enforced.

The Airbus and Boeing planes they use do have slightly different limits in windy conditions however as another user rightly posts, the Aer Lingus regional fleet is made up of much smaller planes which would be the first to be cancelled in windy conditions, regardless of the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Nowhere close to being the worst airline. I fly frequently and apart from a couple of short delays never had a bad experience with Aer Lingus. Their staff are amongst the friendliest I have dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

And Irish Ferries cancelled their Swift sailings, ESB stopping supplying electricity to thousands of houses and even Irish Rail have cancelled or delayed many if their services. What cheek!
    (And it appears the OP may have a lite bee in his bonnet, but that has nothing to do with the weather)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Neither Ryanair nor Aer Lingus are anywhere near the worst airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 3pigs

it,s a 100 times better than con air [ ryan air ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

3pigs wrote: »
    it,s a 100 times better than con air [ ryan air ]

Bet it took you all Christmas to come up with that riveting pun.

Advertisement