Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

BumperD wrote: »
    Take away responsibility and accountability, you’ll see where that gets us.

I’ve more sympathy for the young lads and lassies staying the straight course in life and working their ass off having to suffer these gob****es in the weighroom and on the track.

As regards punishment, the slap on the wrist / light bans didn’t work. HRI is not there to offer rehab clinics for fools who make poor choices in life.

If these poor lads and those before them didn’t get told at home, for whatever reason, or even in church because no one goes there anymore, they surely were told and got classed in school to avoid stuffing this shxt into your system. It not just them that will suffer, but everyone around them . We all pay the price for them getting that high.

Funny, the only people I’ve encountered who want legalizing or not imposing penalties for peddling this stuff are users themselves. One of them, a very close friend since childhood, the only thing we ever argued on was his drug use which he started at 16 and got habitually worse. He ended up homeless before realizing he made very poor choices and got his act together, at massive cost to his family and friends.

I’m done with this debate. I’ve flagged it umteen times here as a monstrous problem that needs tackling head on and am absolutely delighted someone is finally standing up for the silent majority who pay the price for those who want to indulge in the white snow.

Inform yourself mate, it's never too late. Don't go to church expecting the answer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Inform yourself mate, it's never too late. Don't go to church expecting the answer though.

I’m very informed. And I don’t go to church. But these tools could do with some guidance

I’ve often wondered whether mental health drives those to the drugs or the drugs causes the mental health issue. I’m beginning to think the former but not set on it. Anyway, gone slightly off topic.

I’ve often wondered whether mental health drives those to the drugs or the drugs causes the mental health issue. I’m beginning to think the former but not set on it. Anyway, gone slightly off topic.

If ya think the former then a 5 year ban sure as hell ain't the answer man! Come on!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

5 years is awfully harsh as a 1st time offense IMO. Worth noting while a 5 year ban was handed down they can apply after 9 months in case for the license back. Maybe 5 could be the ban for a repeat offender

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Just think it is crazy how a trainer's half baked explanation as to why a horse has tested positive is generally good enough to have the punishment greatly reduced - Shark got off scot free more or less, Fenton should have had a lifetime ban but got 3 years, Joseph O'Brien had no action taken at all for a positive cobalt test, William Treacy claimed he had urinated on the horse feed after ingesting the drugs himself and got a 1k fine.

Yet when a jockey tests positive for a recreational drug and offers a similarly silly explanation for how it got in their system like their drink was spiked then the authorities take a much harder approach.

I would consider giving horses performance enhancing drugs is more damaging to the integrity of the sport in general.

I’m drawn back in again.

I can see you first point re double standards.

But, think of the impact on society for a minute for a human downing cocaine vrs a horse taking performance enhancing drugs. Now if we compare it better, a jockey taking steroids vrs a horse that’s more comparable, imo.

The suspension of the ban offers hope to those who have strayed to the wrong side of the street. The message is clear. Stay clear of drugs, “recreational” or otherwise. Agreed, alcohol can be very damaging but cocaine etc is probably the zenneth in terms of that ladder, it’s a class A drug with terrible impacts for those taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

The Mig wrote: »
    It's not just racing. It's the culture in Ireland now it's rampant. Friends of mine used to be occasional users of it, now they can't even go for a few pints in the local without a bag. Disgusting the way its gone!

Turns people into arogant, loud, obnoxious ****

• Advertisement

Potentially ending a lad's career before it has even started. Never made a mistake yourself?
    If drug laws have taught us anything it is that punishment is not a very effective deterrent, but by all means carry on with the draconian approach that is proven to not work.

How do you mistakenly take cocaine? They knew cocaine is illegal and it is tested for as a part of the job and they still did it.

Shemale wrote: »
    How do you mistakenly take cocaine? They knew cocaine is illegal and it is tested for as a part of the job and they still did it.
    Sigh. "make a mistake" not "mistakenly take", i.e. when somebody does something they are aware is wrong at the time and later live to regret. Happens in life. Not endorsing the consumption of class A drugs, cocaine is awful and is a worryingly common place drug these days. Hope this makes sense.

If Frankie had same treatment when busted with coke as a lad then we probably would not have had one of most iconic and successful jockeys of a generation.

Also Damien Melia's drink was spiked according to him, obviously BS but not impossible either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Just think it is crazy how a trainer's half baked explanation as to why a horse has tested positive is generally good enough to have the punishment greatly reduced - Shark got off scot free more or less, Fenton should have had a lifetime ban but got 3 years, Joseph O'Brien had no action taken at all for a positive cobalt test, William Treacy claimed he had urinated on the horse feed after ingesting the drugs himself and got a 1k fine.

Yet when a jockey tests positive for a recreational drug and offers a similarly silly explanation for how it got in their system like their drink was spiked then the authorities take a much harder approach.

I would consider giving horses performance enhancing drugs is more damaging to the integrity of the sport in general.

13 jockeys in 4 years for cocaine though! Three were done on the same day at Galway in 2017. Must have been some party.

One of the 13 was drinking Mate De Coca for acne. Its made from coca leaves unfortunately.

Some trainers abroad drug test all their staff to prevent surprises turning up in horse tests through contamination. I suspect that many people would be out of work if that happened in Ireland.

Sigh. "make a mistake" not "mistakenly take", i.e. when somebody does something they are aware is wrong at the time and later live to regret.

I wasnt splitting hairs, my point was they knowingly took cocaine knowing the ramifications to their careers, thats not a mistake thats plain stupid. I would suggest there is only regret because they were caught.

In relation to trainers doping I agree more should be done but the issue is the impact to innocent parties. The trainer and vet might know but how many innocent people are out of a job if the trainer gets a ban.

Shemale wrote: »

In relation to trainers doping I agree more should be done but the issue is the impact to innocent parties. The trainer and vet might know but how many innocent people are out of a job if the trainer gets a ban.

What???? Makes zero sense.
    "Don't ban him, he's an employer!"

What???? Makes zero sense.
    "Don't ban him, he's an employer!"

What about HRI makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

remember it well, mc coy winning the last three races where boxer was the third and last leg

he was hugely confident in his paper column to the point where you just
    couldnt back anything else

I'm sure edredon bleu was one of the three, not sure of the other (maybe blowing wind or something similiar) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BMt_0oCY88

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭droidman123

Does anyone know if paddypower is bog on multiples at the moment? I know they chop and change these specials during the year

Does anyone know if paddypower is bog on multiples at the moment? I know they chop and change these specials during the year

Never known PP to be bog on multiples in shop. Not sure about online.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Never known PP to be bog on multiples in shop. Not sure about online.

Paddy Power are BOG online only. I don't understand why they don't in the shops. They will also update your cash out value to the BOG price if it lands at bigger odds, which is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Paddy Power are BOG online only. I don't understand why they don't in the shops. They will also update your cash out value to the BOG price if it lands at bigger odds, which is helpful.

They’re BOG in shops on singles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭droidman123

Now and again they have bog on multiples in the shops,usually runs for a few weeks or so

Kevin Blake has had his say on the draconian Cocaine bans with some interesting comparisons.

Kevin Blake has had his say on the draconian Cocaine bans with some interesting comparisons.
    Must be a drug user himself to arrive at such liberal opinions :D

There are a couple of ghiant holes in his opinion piece, the most obvious of which is the comparison with alcohol. He ignores the fact that possession of cocaine, at least when I last checked, is a serious criminal offense, and consuming it feeds the ruthless drugs gangs in Ireland and elsewhere.

He also suggests the effects of taking cocaine are short lasting. Really.

"It should be stated at this point that this argument does not intend to trivialise cocaine use. Cocaine is an ever-growing scourge on society that serves to enrich criminals at the cost of public health and wellbeing."

Effects of cocaine are relatively short lasting, yes.

Must be a drug user himself to arrive at such liberal opinions :D

Just flawed opinions. I’m taking by your comment you have some insecurities.:)

Not getting into this (again), as have better stuff to be at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

There are a couple of ghiant holes in his opinion piece, the most obvious of which is the comparison with alcohol. He ignores the fact that possession of cocaine, at least when I last checked, is a serious criminal offense, and consuming it feeds the ruthless drugs gangs in Ireland and elsewhere.

He also suggests the effects of taking cocaine are short lasting. Really.

Didn't read it. But if that's the synopsis then I hope O'Brien, ATR, and ITV sack him and he never works in racing again.

Advertisement