Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

BumperD wrote: »
    There are a couple of ghiant holes in his opinion piece, the most obvious of which is the comparison with alcohol. He ignores the fact that possession of cocaine, at least when I last checked, is a serious criminal offense, and consuming it feeds the ruthless drugs gangs in Ireland and elsewhere.

He mentions the effect cocaine has on society and references the gangs. Not the easiest read but it's in there.

It is a bit of a joke though, 10 days for actually being impaired in an extremely dangerous environment where concentration is paramount.

Do you not agree that a better deterrent would be increased testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Not getting into this (again), as have better stuff to be at.

Like cocaine!!?? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Slattsy wrote: »
    Didn't read it. But if that's the synopsis then I hope O'Brien, ATR, and ITV sack him and he never works in racing again.

It's not the synopsis at all.

BumperD will agree when the red mist lifts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Point was that the alcohol threshold is set so that jocks are potentially riding while still impaired to some degree and cocaine threshold will detect use from days previous when any impairment has passed. But if people do not read stuff and form opinions then what's the point in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

"It should be stated at this point that this argument does not intend to trivialise cocaine use. Cocaine is an ever-growing scourge on society that serves to enrich criminals at the cost of public health and wellbeing."

Effects of cocaine are relatively short lasting, yes.

It’s a serious criminal offense. It’s not just enriching criminals.

The fact he waits until near the end of his piece to even mention any criminal aspect is funny, and even then, it’s nearly a bye the way, oh “it should be stated...”

• Advertisement

Think I’ve hit a nerve here :)

Anyway, I wish them all the best with their cocaine rehabilitation etc. If you believe Blake and others, the effects are short term.

No nerve's hit here anyway, just pointless arguing about something when someone has such steadfast views and will shift the focus of the argument when their previous point is proved to be wrong.

Consumption is not a serious criminal offence anyway, you cannot get charged with any crime for having it in your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Anyone on here going to the Betting Forum in leopardstown on Saturday??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

BumperD wrote: »
    Think I’ve hit a nerve here :)

Anyway, I wish them all the best with their cocaine rehabilitation etc. If you believe Blake and others, the effects are short term.

the cocaine effect itself or the high would last no more than hour for a small dose, a few hours for larger dose.

they reckon to allow about 18 to 24 hrs to be safe at a checkpoint

i would agree that it has short term effects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Half of Newmarket is on coke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Half of Newmarket is on coke

As is half of society in general. Its not the noise of scutters you hear in every cubicle across the country its the noise of sniffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

He mentions the effect cocaine has on society and references the gangs. Not the easiest read but it's in there.

It is a bit of a joke though, 10 days for actually being impaired in an extremely dangerous environment where concentration is paramount.

Do you not agree that a better deterrent would be increased testing?

I don't.

The current level of testing has turned up 13 different jockeys in the last 4 years. Increasing the testing might expose that the problem is even bigger than they thought. Its bad enough. 3 jockeys tested positive on the same day at the Galway races.

I thought Kevin Blake's article was poor. His justification is that alcohol only gets you a limited ban whilst coke gets you 5 years (reality 18 months tops).

One is legal, the other illegal, neither are allowed in competition.

The problem always existed, its just more prevalent through widespread availability. Weight issues is the catalyst. If they bring in mandatory testing at stable level it might help, but there are many that ride out that might fail! Some trainers insist on it abroad, so that they don't fall foul of positive tests through contamination with someone taking class A/B/C drugs.

Ever read about the guy who among other non claims won the HK$118m (about €13.m) Triple Trio (3 races with the first 3 picked in each) and never claimed it....

Remarkable stuff

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/the-gambler-who-cracked-the-horse-racing-code-in-hong-kong

That is unreal. I’d read the story about the pool but not the full backstory. I’m near certain an investment offering crossed my desk 2 yrs ago that is mentioned near the end of that article, it was Asian football betting related, which I dismissed as I couldn’t get my head around it and figured it for some fraud, how wrong was I.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Sunday forum back under new name racing debate for anyone who missed it

https://t.attheraces.com/atrplayer-popup/programmes/34443887

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Anyone see a replay of the 7.45 wolves
    Something fell off the winner aclaimthe nation after he came out the gates, I taught it was weight cloth but didn’t weigh in light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Anyone see a replay of the 7.45 wolves
    Something fell off the winner aclaimthe nation after he came out the gates, I taught it was weight cloth but didn’t weigh in light.

Didnt see it but some horses need a hood on to go into the stalls, the jockey takes it off and throws it behind him when the gate opens

Trainer Thomas o Connor in the racing post app news section today on lilshane having a little go at Townend without mentioning him haha.

“It’s important who rides him. Kevin Brouder knows him well, but he's injured at the moment, and he'd listen to me when I would tell him how he needs to be ridden.

“Ger Fox and Jonathan Moore know him well and, to be honest, if I couldn't get any of those lads for his next race I wouldn't run him. The more experienced jockeys don't listen to me because they'd have their own theories, even though I've been in racing all my life. If I was Willie Mullins they'd probably listen.”

Paul Townend the only other jockey to have ridden lil shane in the last year

• Advertisement

Shemale wrote: »
    Didnt see it but some horses need a hood on to go into the stalls, the jockey takes it off and throws it behind him when the gate opens

Just looked again at replay and the the jockey in the gate next to him threw the hood back at the winner before gates opened and it must of settled on the back of the saddle for 50 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭tinpib

No late flurry from Hugh Taylor. I think he had maybe 2 winners from when he came back from his Christmas break on January 6th. His last 2 weeks or so in December were shocking as well, no winners, but was on a very good run before that.

tinpib wrote: »
    No late flurry from Hugh Taylor. I think he had maybe 2 winners from when he came back from his Christmas break on January 6th. His last 2 weeks or so in December were shocking as well, no winners, but was on a very good run before that.

Don’t think it was 2, I would look at his picks daily and I didn’t see 1 winner but was told by someone else there was one, either way it’s a horror run.
    In the summer he put up escalator and that horse won today at meydan, maybe if in form he would of tipped it.

He has been a bit speculative this week with big price horses, wasteful looking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭tinpib

I'm not 100% sure but it seems he had Flaming Marvel on Jan 11th at around 2/1 and also Grey Mist at 4/1 on his very first day back on Jan 6th. I think that might be it. A shocking 6/7 weeks.

I posted elsewhere wondering if he is 'contractually obliged' to post at least 1 a day in the middle of winter, he might prefer not to post these days but can't. I'm sure he will come good again when the weather improves and the flat season proper starts.

Trainer Thomas o Connor in the racing post app news section today on lilshane having a little go at Townend without mentioning him haha.

“It’s important who rides him. Kevin Brouder knows him well, but he's injured at the moment, and he'd listen to me when I would tell him how he needs to be ridden.

For a horse that has been left at the start, subsequently ran out and continued to race and then be disqualified, then be pulled up in two subsequent starts, maybe its time to give the horse a break, it seems to be on the go constantly for the last few years. Too many races from what I can see and the handicapper has the horse firmly in his grips, otherwise 7lb claimers wouldn't be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

tinpib wrote: »

Why anyone pays a blind bit of notice to these 'tipsters' is beyond me. You could go eeney meeney miney mo on the racecard and still be as accurate as these guys. Unless you are working from info from the yard or the horses connections then the best indicator of the horses chances will come from what the bookies have priced up. They have invested €millions in getting the price right and that for me is more reliable than what some johnnycomelately tipster plucking fancies out of his arse can come up with.

Have you even looked at HT’s records/stats Dan. If you had, you’d re write that post or even delete it as it doesn’t stack. He posts reasoned selections on his page that consistently produce profits .

Don’t mix him up with the hoardes of clowns out there, he’s a rarity and certainly not one of them. His strike rate is very good

• Advertisement

Why anyone pays a blind bit of notice to these 'tipsters' is beyond me. You could go eeney meeney miney mo on the racecard and still be as accurate as these guys. Unless you are working from info from the yard or the horses connections then the best indicator of the horses chances will come from what the bookies have priced up. They have invested €millions in getting the price right and that for me is more reliable than what some johnnycomelately tipster plucking fancies out of his arse can come up with.
    LOL, so wrong. Hugh Taylor's stats for last ten years:

2018: ROI 155% +345pts
    2017: ROI 146% +282pts
    2016: ROI 144% +281pts
    2015: ROI 134% +207pts
    2014: ROI 132% +199.79pts
    2013: ROI 132% +210pts
    2012: ROI 131% +222.65pts
    2011: ROI 128% +302.64 pts
    2010: ROI 123% +324.79 pts
    2009: ROI 126% +500.36 pts

Fair enough they are at largely at unobtainable prices but they guy is on another level. Good luck backing "info" if you have no concept of the right price to be betting at.

Advertisement