Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

Anyone want two Paddy Power 27th leopards town tickets?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Augeo wrote: »

I’ll take them Augeo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Augeo wrote: »

Me, please! IF of course The Mig cant take em.

The Mig wrote: »
    I’ll take them Augeo

PMd the link to you.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I'll take anymore going for the 27th if anyone has them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Seasons Greetings all ! Happy punting for the week ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

BumperD wrote: »
    Seasons Greetings all ! Happy punting for the week ahead :)

Gracias, Feliz Navidad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Racing Eve!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

On the lookout for tickets for the 27th if anyone has the PP ones and isn't going, would be much appreciated.

Edit: Happy to donate €20 to a charity of your choice and send proof for each pair of tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

After the farce of the Dublin Festival, I see the Chief Exc of Leopardstown, hasn't learnt anything from that day, or indeed today, if he intends to make it all ticket

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/in-pictures-unprecedented-number-attend-first-day-of-leopardstown-christmas-festival-37659118.html

Given the week just passed with lots of jollies getting turned over, let’s lift the spirits with another trip down memory lane of getting one over the enemy

https://www.racingpost.com/news/more-to-read/a-perfectly-executed-gamble-on-yellow-sam-that-netted-barney-curley-a-fortune/247363

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Given the week just passed with lots of jollies getting turned over, let’s lift the spirits with another trip down memory lane of getting one over the enemy

https://www.racingpost.com/news/more-to-read/a-perfectly-executed-gamble-on-yellow-sam-that-netted-barney-curley-a-fortune/247363

Superb

The Racing Dictionary on Twitter is quality

https://twitter.com/TheRacingDicti1/status/1082205494742339584?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Fanny **** wrote: »

Some of them are very good. Especially like

https://twitter.com/TheRacingDicti1/status/1062997881169371137

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

http://www.itm.ie/en/Stallion_Trail/

Might be of interest to some.......this Friday and Saturday.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/five-year-bans-for-jockeys-who-fail-cocaine-tests/360858

And again.

Thank god someone in our sport is showing leadership and sending out the right message. I hope tracks start using sniffer dogs to screen patrons entering the track too in Ireland for the big meets, its souring the atmosphere when you have idiots off their chops on this rubbish.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/five-year-bans-for-jockeys-who-fail-cocaine-tests/360858

And again.

Thank god someone in our sport is showing leadership and sending out the right message. I hope tracks start using sniffer dogs to screen patrons entering the track too in Ireland for the big meets, its souring the atmosphere when you have idiots off their chops on this rubbish.
    It's not just racing. It's the culture in Ireland now it's rampant. Friends of mine used to be occasional users of it, now they can't even go for a few pints in the local without a bag. Disgusting the way its gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I hope tracks start using sniffer dogs to screen patrons entering the track too in Ireland for the big meets, its souring the atmosphere when you have idiots off their chops on this rubbish.

They'd see a massive drop in attendances if they brought in sniffer dogs so no chance they'd do it.

• Advertisement

Won't be a popular view but I've lots of sympathy for Jockeys in this regard.
    Most people have their vice, and given the conditions jockeys work under, it's no surprise cocaine tends to be the vice of choice.
    The HRI have a responsibility here to protect, educate & support these fellas. Slapping 5 year bans on young lads is a snakey PR exercise in my opinion.

If someone like Ruby tested positive for cocaine, there is a 0% chance he'd get a years ban, let alone a 5 year ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Fallon got less of a total ban for two different failed tests (6 months and 18 months) than these young lads are getting for their first first failed tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

What did Frankie get? Cant think off top my head.

Won't be a popular view but I've lots of sympathy for Jockeys in this regard.
    Most people have their vice, and given the conditions jockeys work under, it's no surprise cocaine tends to be the vice of choice.
    The HRI have a responsibility here to protect, educate & support these fellas. Slapping 5 year bans on young lads is a snakey PR exercise in my opinion.

If someone like Ruby tested positive for cocaine, there is a 0% chance he'd get a years ban, let alone a 5 year ban.

Think responsibility starts with the person. I grew up , like many others here, around plenty of bad influences and Chose NOT to indulge. Everyone has a choice. Way too much abdication of responsibility in today’s daft society where everyone has someone else to blame for their failings.

Appropriate ban. Drugs are rampant in Ireland. It’s like cigarettes was in my day. People off their heads on this stuff at tracks you can sense the anger/ intensity from them- really sad but it’s their Choice to injest that shxt for a temporary high and indulge themselves . Zero sympathy. You live a good life and appropriate behaviors you get the rewards. Act like an a-hole, face the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭droidman123

Slattsy wrote: »
    What did Frankie get? Cant think off top my head.

6 months

5 years for a failed drug test and then there is lads getting a months riding ban for dangerous riding that could cause severe injury or death.

Think responsibility starts with the person. I grew up , like many others here, around plenty of bad influences and Chose NOT to indulge. Everyone has a choice. Way too much abdication of responsibility in today’s daft society where everyone has someone else to blame for their failings.

Appropriate ban. Drugs are rampant in Ireland. It’s like cigarettes was in my day. People off their heads on this stuff at tracks you can sense the anger/ intensity from them- really sad but it’s their Choice to injest that shxt for a temporary high and indulge themselves . Zero sympathy. You live a good life and appropriate behaviors you get the rewards. Act like an a-hole, face the consequences.
    Potentially ending a lad's career before it has even started. Never made a mistake yourself?
    If drug laws have taught us anything it is that punishment is not a very effective deterrent, but by all means carry on with the draconian approach that is proven to not work.

You grew up in a far dafter and far more exclusive society that we have today, actually.
    How can anyone growing up in Ireland in the 60s,70s,80s,90s think otherwise!

Do you think a 5 year ban for a young lad, i.e. finishing his career as a jockey, will get him off the bag?

It's not leadership and nor is it sending out any message. It's an exercise targeting nobodies to tick the PR boxes and pleasing people who choose not to look at the bigger picture.

The issue of people doing designer drugs at race meetings isn't something I referenced and isn't something I condone.

Take away responsibility and accountability, you’ll see where that gets us.

I’ve more sympathy for the young lads and lassies staying the straight course in life and working their ass off having to suffer these gob****es in the weighroom and on the track.

As regards punishment, the slap on the wrist / light bans didn’t work. HRI is not there to offer rehab clinics for fools who make poor choices in life.

If these poor lads and those before them didn’t get told at home, for whatever reason, or even in church because no one goes there anymore, they surely were told and got classed in school to avoid stuffing this shxt into your system. It not just them that will suffer, but everyone around them . We all pay the price for them getting that high.

Funny, the only people I’ve encountered who want legalizing or not imposing penalties for peddling this stuff are users themselves. One of them, a very close friend since childhood, the only thing we ever argued on was his drug use which he started at 16 and got habitually worse. He ended up homeless before realizing he made very poor choices and got his act together, at massive cost to his family and friends.

I’m done with this debate. I’ve flagged it umteen times here as a monstrous problem that needs tackling head on and am absolutely delighted someone is finally standing up for the silent majority who pay the price for those who want to indulge in the white snow.

• Advertisement

Don't think anybody is calling for cocaine to be legalized, just that there is a fairly big body of evidence to suggest that harsh punishments are not an effective deterrent, not going to start linking to articles but try googling the case of what has happened in Portugal since drug use was decriminalized, compare that to the USA where young lives are ruined for inconsequential offences.

You say the HRI are not there to offer rehab clinics yet the jocks involved in these cases will be allowed to "reapply for their licence in the interim if they engaged in the rehabilitation process". No point ruining a young jockeys career for what is potentially a once off mistake, but if that makes you "delighted" then we are a million miles apart in terms of mindset. Not sure what going to church has to do with any of this anyway, times have changed and will continue to change, better get used to it.

Biggest drug problem in this country is alcohol and not too much doubt about that really.

Advertisement