Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing to Declare Australia

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

NSAman wrote: »
    Isn't that culture now in LA?..;)

I think he's back in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Irish people are as bad with their rashers and tae bags.

I understand the tea bags but there is nothing special about your rashers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I understand the tea bags but there is nothing special about your rashers!

If you are in the States the rasher is wanted like no other, thankfully I have found a local producer under the Denny's name.....and they deliver too.;)

mad muffin wrote: »
    I think he's back in Oz.

That little "tax issue" has been resolved then??.;)

That little "tax issue" has been resolved then??.;)

I dunno

*shrugs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 selfstarter

some of the crap food they try to smuggle in makes me wonder
    about their mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

some of the crap food they try to smuggle in makes me wonder
    about their mental health.
    Don't knock toad scrotum until you've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Stovepipe wrote: »
    It's dead simple: instruct the cabin crew NOT to give fruit to passengers, as the unwitting pax will be treated like criminals by jobsworths. All fruit should be gathered up by the cabin crew and dumped in the waste bin, if it is percieved to be a threat to Australian horticulture (why is it on the aircraft in the first place??). If the law, already known to the cabin crew, specifically bans importation of fruit, deliberately or inadvertantly, then the cabin crew are to blame by contributing to the distribution of the fruit in the first place. So, fine the airline AS$200 every time a pax ****s up and bring the CEO to court every Monday morning to explain why his employees are contributing to criminality and I guarantee it will stop overnight......if the signs existed to simply filter out morons, then Australia is ****ed because it already has an ample supply of morons.

regards
    Stovepipe

What's your issue with this Stovepipe¿ As far as customs are aware they don't know if the Apple was handed out by the airline staff or brought from another country so they have treat it as suspect

If you can't grasp this concept and only see the airline staff as the issue then I guess in the future we can expect you to be on one of these shows.

You sound like one of those guys that just blames the banks 100% for "making" all those people take out mortgages web they didn't want. There's to many people nowadays trying to absolve themselves from the stupid reckless decisions they make

Being asked do you have food and saying no regardless of where you got it is just fupping stupid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

WellThen? wrote: »
    Every time i catch this show,I am HORRIFIED at how anybody questioned is spoken to like a 3 yr old. I mean ESPECIALLY when they were hiding nothing in the first place. And their mental food laws, someone brings a packet of biscuits...

"You are risking the lives of Australians" I mean, I get it but surely they are going overboard.

"You need a permit for that cheese"

Why is it just Australia? You wouldn't see our security hassling somebody over these things.

P.S. I know it's just a show but I have had my own terrible experiences with them too.

Because those bringing in the contraband are usually idiots who find other peoples rules a major inconvenience.
    Australia developed separate to the rest of the planet over millions of years and is incredibly unique. The introduction of a breeding pair of rabbits over 100 years ago destroyed millions of acres of land, destroyed lives and million year old ecosystems and is still costing billions per year to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

TBH, I can see why they tend to be in a bad mood when they spend all day having conversations like this

Aus. Border Security: Do you have any food.
    Little Old Asian Woman: No. No food.
    ABS: Are you sure? I'm going to check your bag.
    LOAW: No food.
    ABS: This suitcase is full of food.
    LOAW: No, no food. Is sweets.
    ABS: Sweets are food.
    LOAW: No, no food.
    ABS: You eat them. They're food.
    LOAW: No, they're sweets, not food!

I'd be generally tetchy myself.
    dpe wrote: »
    (the guy in front of me at Cairns airport had a guitar and went through the same **** referred to earlier, because it was "wood" ffs).
    And the wood can have parasites in it that could infest local trees. If the rest of the world was as vigilant we mightn't have such a problem with Dutch Elm Disease and the like.

I've noticed that if you're upfront and honest, and declare anything that you think might be an issue then you're unlikely to have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Guy - do you have any food in your bag?

Old asian lady - no food, no.

Guy - you sure? I'm going to have to check.

Asian - no food, no.

Guy - opens bag - you see here? ALL you have is food. Like literally NO clothes. Just tubs and hubs of home made weird, asiany soupy looking food.

Asian - no eng rah leesh

I'm asian I don't do that. It's always Chinese/Japanese looking Asians that do that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Bondi rescue; Asians don't know how to swim so always need to be rescued.

Nothing to Declare; Asians are not bothered learning English so get found with suitcases full of food.

Nothing to Declare; Asians are not bothered learning English so get found with suitcases full of food.

Will they ever learn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

mad muffin wrote: »
    Will they ever learn?

The same could be asked of the French after their baguette gets them a fine for the millionth time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@HTW, I agree that people are stupid if they don't read the documentation and then bring in food; you're perfectly right. My issue originally started with the gleeful expression of the jobsworth as he took 200 bucks off the tired punters as they realised he had them over a barrel. Don't pay the money, you end up before the judge and/or get put out of the country, after having paid a huge amount of money to get there, having been given an apple by the very airline who brought them there.It has been the case on the show where the punter stated that he'd been given the apple by the cabin crew and the Customs guy got heavy and threatened the guy with immediate deportation, so people end up paying for a bit of peace and quiet. Quite simply, it's legally dubious and it pisses off the ordinary punter.How good is it for the reputation of Australia if the first thing a traveller encounters is a heist over an apple? I work in an airline which is how I know how the system works.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Stovepipe wrote: »
    @HTW, I agree that people are stupid if they don't read the documentation and then bring in food; you're perfectly right. My issue originally started with the gleeful expression of the jobsworth as he took 200 bucks off the tired punters as they realised he had them over a barrel. Don't pay the money, you end up before the judge and/or get put out of the country, after having paid a huge amount of money to get there, having been given an apple by the very airline who brought them there.It has been the case on the show where the punter stated that he'd been given the apple by the cabin crew and the Customs guy got heavy and threatened the guy with immediate deportation, so people end up paying for a bit of peace and quiet. Quite simply, it's legally dubious and it pisses off the ordinary punter.How good is it for the reputation of Australia if the first thing a traveller encounters is a heist over an apple? I work in an airline which is how I know how the system works.

regards
    Stovepipe

But he still didn't declare that he had it, right, even though he was given a declaration card? And it's not like passengers would ever lie, right? The customs guy has no way of knowing for a fact where the apple came from, for all he knows the passenger could have brought it from his country of origin and it could be riddled with bacteria that could spread disease.

I've been to Australia only once, but I knew how strict they were. I got an orange on the plane which I wound up not eating. As soon as I got off the plane I threw it away, in accordance with the signs that were up everywhere in the airport. It's not hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

George Street and Haymarket: Asians walk so bloody slow, SWEET JESUS I'LL NEVER GET TO MY DESTINATION ON TIME!

Christ, I thought it was just the customs people on that program who painted a bleak picture about OZ, many of the comments in here certainly paint a picture that does not make me want to visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@NSAman, It's a lovely place to go to, especially Melbourne. I spent a month there, met really nice people and had a great time. It's very multi-ethnic in Melly, with very large groupings of Greeks and Italians in particular, so the grub is excellent and the climate is temperate and there's loads to see and do......the cops are quite strict and traffic cops are heavy hitters and fines for traffic offences are high and the Irish attitude of "yerra, it'll be grand" doesn't always cut much ice with them.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Christ, I thought it was just the customs people on that program who painted a bleak picture about OZ, many of the comments in here certainly paint a picture that does not make me want to visit.

Just visit without bringing food and vegetation to a developed country with an abundance of food and vegetation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I have found them in Oz airports. Was picked out in 5 different airports for random testing swabs and it became a joke at end when I explain that I am always stopped, I must have a dodgy look.....

Advertisement