Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing to Declare Australia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

NSAman wrote: »
    Why the hell would anyone want to face this crap? Never been to Australia and frankly if that is the way they behave in customs they will not be getting my cash anytime soon.

I can't believe that they are showing customs people being so abusive to tourists. It really sets the whole customs people in a bad light. OK enforce the rules but Christ some of them REALLY have chips on their shoulders and seem to be acting as little Hitlers.

200 dollars for an apple given to people on a plane before landing, seems like stupidity to me. Fine the airline not the damned passengers. Smacks of a money making racket to me..

OH and the bloody accents of those women.. EEEEEEEkkkkkkk....

Almost immediately before landing, passengers are handed out cards, printed in several languages, including specific languages if required.

On these cards, it asks specifically if you are in possession of a wide array of foodstuffs which you must tick yes or no to.

It also tells them multiple times, that they must include foods handed out by the airline in their declarations.

They have an extremely fragile and beautiful eco system, with some stunning species of animals and fauna.

You can understand why they protect it so vigorously tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Look what happened in the Simpsons when they let that frog in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

When I was in Australia a few years back, on the way over I bought a carton of 200 smokes on the plane from Singapore. I only had a $100 bill and they didn't have enough change on to cover it (I do NOT miss laser cards!) so I bought a second carton to make up the difference. Problem is they limit you to 250,which I only noticed when they gave out the declaration letters later.

Landed in Brisbane, accidentally got in the Australian/NZ queue. When I copped it (should have by the fact there were maybe 30 in my queue and hundreds in the other) I turned to leave when the security guy comes over and asks if I have a connecting flight (I did, to Sydney). Soundly enough he tells me to stay in the queue.

When I get to the desk I give them the declaration sheet, they ask me to go over to a different area because of the extra smokes. Have a friendly chat with a woman in her 30s and guy in his 40s working for border patrol (not dragged into a room or anything, just to the side), I wouldn't have been too bothered throwing 8 packs of smokes away, but they just tell me to keep them, walk by the sniffer dog on the way out, and have a good day.

I've been to Australian airports maybe a half dozen times in total and they've always been very friendly. Couldn't have been any different from the show really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

good show but they dont need the drama thriller music running through if ffs :rolleyes:

the whole thing is drama, no sound effects needed, ruins it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

200 dollars for an apple given to people on a plane before landing, seems like stupidity to me. Fine the airline not the damned passengers. Smacks of a money making racket to me..

As Banjo String mentions there is a landing card printed in several languages where you actually have to tick whether you have food or not.

Its simply a test for stupidity and the fine is punishment for being thick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I find that show strangely addictive.

They are very good at making about 7 minutes footage last nearly 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Hey, guess what? I had no trouble getting through customs here. I think it's because I'm not smuggling drugs and my IQ is into double figures.

Hey, guess what? I had no trouble getting through customs here. I think it's because I'm not smuggling drugs and my IQ is into double figures.
    But your username is borderline fraudulent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I just brought some homemade cheese through Dublin which my inlaws gave us without issue.

Only stopped once on Dublin and that was off a flight from Amsterdam having flown from Mozambique to jo'burg en route home. Was reading in jo'burg that it's an established drugs route.
    Anyway, a quick xray of my bag and off home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@banjo string, it is a con because the fruit/food has already been screened by the catering company, who are themselves screened by the airline to comply with Australian law. The fruit is essentially safe, because if it wasn't, it would be allowed on the aircraft in the first place (because, in law, the aircraft is considered Australian soil) and there is also no mechanism to stop the crew taking the stuff home themselves. Also, if an airline aircraft document states that fruit given out by the very same airline staff is unacceptable to be landed in Australia, then why on earth would the crew give it to passengers just before landing? This makes them complicit in aiding and abetting the illegal importation of fruit.The cabin crew are briefed very thoroughly on every document relating to cabin service, so if there is a rule about illegal importation, then they are well versed about it.It is the cabin Crew Senior's job to brief the cabin crew before every flight and that includes a review of documents.....If the food is surplus, then it will be cleared off by the home airport catering company and destroyed (incineration) anyway....best thing to do is not take anything off the cabin crew except the meals and abandon anything you have not consumed. The whole thing smells of a bit of a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Stovepipe wrote: »
    @banjo string, it is a con because the fruit/food has already been screened by the catering company, who are themselves screened by the airline to comply with Australian law. The fruit is essentially safe, because if it wasn't, it would be allowed on the aircraft in the first place (because, in law, the aircraft is considered Australian soil) and there is also no mechanism to stop the crew taking the stuff home themselves. Also, if an airline aircraft document states that fruit given out by the very same airline staff is unacceptable to be landed in Australia, then why on earth would the crew give it to passengers just before landing? This makes them complicit in aiding and abetting the illegal importation of fruit.The cabin crew are briefed very thoroughly on every document relating to cabin service, so if there is a rule about illegal importation, then they are well versed about it.It is the cabin Crew Senior's job to brief the cabin crew before every flight and that includes a review of documents.....If the food is surplus, then it will be cleared off by the home airport catering company and destroyed (incineration) anyway....best thing to do is not take anything off the cabin crew except the meals and abandon anything you have not consumed. The whole thing smells of a bit of a scam.

If you have fruit/food you can always tick YES on the landing card, then you are allowed to dump it in the bin at customs anyway. You don't get fined for that.

You only get fined if you answer NO and carry fruit/food through. As above its a test for stupidity DO YOU HAVE FOOD YES or NO.

If you are too dumb to answer the question correctly then its $220 fine.

Its only a scam to those who don't understand a simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Guy - do you have any food in your bag?

Old asian lady - no food, no.

Guy - you sure? I'm going to have to check.

Asian - no food, no.

Guy - opens bag - you see here? ALL you have is food. Like literally NO clothes. Just tubs and hubs of home made weird, asiany soupy looking food.

Asian - no eng rah leesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Guy - do you have any food in your bag?

Old asian lady - no food, no.

Guy - you sure? I'm going to have to check.

Asian - no food, no.

Guy - opens bag - you see here? ALL you have is food. Like literally NO clothes. Just tubs and hubs of home made weird, asiany soupy looking food.

Asian - no eng rah leesh

I wouldn't mind if it was nice food but it's nearly always duck legs and fried chicken sh1t with a side of fermented rat tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

This post has been deleted.

Border Security: Canada's Frontline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Bambi wrote: »
    Apparently "oriental" is quite the racist term :confused:

Y'all act like you never seen a white person before

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its a pity our customs weren't as strict here. Maybe then we wouldn't have as many free loading wasters in this country as we currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Went to Brisbane via Dubai, got some Fosters beer inbound to Dubai for the transit, ended up not drinking them, then got some Whiskey outbound, when I landed in OZ, the rules said 1 litre ALCOHOL, well i know had 1 lt bottle and 3 cans of beer, I went and asked a customs officer for advise, he asked if that was all that i had to declare, i said yes, he pointed straight to the exit, I was in the arrivals hall about 30 minutes before my colleagues :):)

Next time in Darwin, we asked about having diving equipment that was used in the sea, was this affected by their fresh water restriction, once again, sent right out the door, none of our bags looked at.

Moral of the story, treat them with respect and you won't have any problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I was stopped, frisked and had my camera bag and pockets swabbed. I asked what they were looking for and they said explosives. My travelling companion had been out shooting the day before, he wasn't checked.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Your IQ should really be into treble figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

donvito99 wrote: »
    Do you have any contraband in your suitcase, sir?

Yes, a knife.

That's not a knife, this is a knife.

That's a spoon.

CJC999 wrote: »
    Its a pity out customs weren't as strict here. Maybe then we wouldn't have as many free loading wasters in this country as we currently have.
    You might be confusing customs agents with midwives.

2 stroke wrote: »
    I was stopped, frisked and had my camera bag and pockets swabbed. I asked what they were looking for and they said explosives. My travelling companion had been out shooting the day before, he wasn't checked.
    I had that too once, flying from Sydney to Perth. It's just a formality that the have to pick out the odd random person, like how in Amsterdam they tend to give one in four or five people a random check to make sure they're not planning on exporting anything they shouldn't. Only takes a minute or so, they were very polite and almost apologetic when checking my backpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why the hell would anyone want to face this crap? Never been to Australia and frankly if that is the way they behave in customs they will not be getting my cash anytime soon.

I can't believe that they are showing customs people being so abusive to tourists. It really sets the whole customs people in a bad light. OK enforce the rules but Christ some of them REALLY have chips on their shoulders and seem to be acting as little Hitlers.

OH and the bloody accents of those women.. EEEEEEEkkkkkkk....

If you keep your nose clean and obey the law, it should take you a few mins (apart from queuing) to get through the customs area with no hassles. Not too much of your precious life wasted, is it?
    I worked in an aussie airport and yes some of them are sound and some are blue-shirted w*nkers, but say nothing and give them nothing to pull you up on and you'll get to enjoy your hols, don't follow the rules or be a w*nker back to them and you might get fined or you'll be having a little chat with the Federal Police. Same as getting into the States, no-one in their right mind will give a smart-ass answer back to Homeland Security.

$200 isn't that much if the alternative is their fruit industry going under because some visitor didn't eat their apple (which could harbour any sort of disease) on the plane or bin it when they were supposed to do so. Maybe, just maybe they might remember not to do it next time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

They don't even allow culture into Australia !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

It's dead simple: instruct the cabin crew NOT to give fruit to passengers, as the unwitting pax will be treated like criminals by jobsworths. All fruit should be gathered up by the cabin crew and dumped in the waste bin, if it is percieved to be a threat to Australian horticulture (why is it on the aircraft in the first place??). If the law, already known to the cabin crew, specifically bans importation of fruit, deliberately or inadvertantly, then the cabin crew are to blame by contributing to the distribution of the fruit in the first place. So, fine the airline AS$200 every time a pax ****s up and bring the CEO to court every Monday morning to explain why his employees are contributing to criminality and I guarantee it will stop overnight......if the signs existed to simply filter out morons, then Australia is ****ed because it already has an ample supply of morons.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

They don't even allow culture into Australia !

Shut your stupid filthy mouth!!:mad:

We do so have culture! Did you not see post #144?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

mad muffin wrote: »
    Shut your stupid filthy mouth!!:mad:

We do so have culture! Did you not see post #144?

:pac:

Isn't that culture now in LA?..;)

Advertisement