Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing to Declare Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

worded wrote: »
    If you are asked by airport security - do you have any criminal convictions ......

It's best to say that you genuinely didn't realise it was a prerequisite to getting in

Any more.

It's actually one of the few countries I have absolutely NO interest in going to. It looks like an absolute sh*thole with nothing apart from good beaches going for it. I worked with many Australians over the years in many places and found them to be loud ignorant racist homophobes who never shut the f*ck up and never have a good thing to say about the country they are in. Good craic the first time ya hang out with them but give it a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Any more.

It's actually one of the few countries I have absolutely NO interest in going to. It looks like an absolute sh*thole with nothing apart from good beaches going for it. I worked with many Australians over the years in many places and found them to be loud ignorant racist homophobes who never shut the f*ck up and never have a good thing to say about the country they are in. Good craic the first time ya hang out with them but give it a week.

They are grand. There's only the same proportion of ignorant fcukwits as Ireland.:rolleyes:

Don't come here though. You wouldn't like it.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

dmc17 wrote: »
    You wanted to bring your Japanese knotweed for the holiday of a lifetime? You're lucky they didn't lock you up :pac:

you didnt get six A in the leaving cert.......:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭Rabelais

I was in Australia once. Awful place. The food was sh1t and expensive and the beer was expensive and sh1t. And it was full of Australians.

Fúck off Alf Stewart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

Can you imagine if Weatherspoons and Supermacs arrive over there? Koffi Anan will need to be called in to solve that humanitarian crisis. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Rabelais wrote: »
    I The food was sh1t

You Lie !

Did you actually eat over here ?

You Lie !

Did you actually eat over here ?

Chicken Schnitzel is at the bottom of your food pyramid over there. And the cheese was like eating asbestos. Some of the seafood was good, but I'd have had to sell a minor organ to eat it for the duration of the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its a pity they wouldn't adopt a similar strict approach at the airports here!

Over here, you can arrive with no passport and declare that your seeking asylum and then fcuk off and live here for years and when they try to deport you, you can get free legal aid and take your case to the Supreme Court at tax payers expense and It won't cost you a fricken penny.

Australia has the right attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mustard_igloo

Last one I saw was a British teenager who managed to get out of being fined for having oranges in her bag. Oranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

When i was entering the country, they made me take off the beads i had on my wrists and scanned the wood to make sure there was no wood worm in them, so i couldn't inflict their country. I was shocked at this back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

bigron2109 wrote: »
    When i was entering the country, they made me take off the beads i had on my wrists and scanned the wood to make sure there was no wood worm in them, so i couldn't inflict their country. I was shocked at this back then.

Username Big Ron. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah I watch that programme, while i get that they are enforcing the rules they seem about as friendly as a nest of vipers.

There was one eposide where the immigration crowd were interviewing an "oirish guy", and they put subtitles on the screen ever time he talked.

It wasn't that bloody hard to understand him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A few years ago I was coming back from Hong Kong and was stopped by the nothing to declare people at Dublin airport. They checked my carry on and I had a few snacks in the bag, they took them off me and told me that's grand and sent me on my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭nerd69

Yeah I watch that programme, while i get that they are enforcing the rules they seem about as friendly as a nest of vipers.

There was one eposide where the immigration crowd were interviewing an "oirish guy", and they put subtitles on the screen ever time he talked.

It wasn't that bloody hard to understand him.

For you it was easy to understand but for the first month or so I was there Aussies couldn't understand me at all. We tend to speak pretty quick.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

WellThen? wrote: »
    Why is it just Australia?
    I remember a story in the papers here...about 10 years ago.
    It seems there is a ban on tje import of chicken into N.I. amd this guy was stopped by customs because he had a chicken sandwich. He offered to eat it then and there but was restraimed from "trying to destroy the evidence". It sounds like somethjmg from Father Ted. Anyway, the final outcome was he had to appear in court at some larer date and was fined then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Never had any problems with them, we read the leaflets and followed the rules. They even cleaned our tent for us. No fuss no muss. I always found them polite and friendly. I used to have terrible trouble in America alright with my very Irish name and not even slightly Irish looks but Australia was grand. No bother at all.

We have to respect that they have a very delicate eco system and the slightest thing could ruin a years worth of fruit crops or devestate an indigenous species. They care about their country! We got rid of loads of our own indigenous plants and animals through disease and overhunting without a second thought.

I love when they stop the Asians though! The stuff they pack in their bags is unreal! Mad though is the fact there are huge China towns in Oz where most of that stuff is available! The birds nest stuff isnt, obviously being made of bird spit which is a carrier of avian flu. Why they would eat that is beyond me.

Oz also has a huge problem with drugs, my ghod I worked all over Australia in call centres, mortgage advice centres, leaflet distribution areas, shops and even their main phone company Telstra ( their Eircom) and everyone and I mean everyone was hooked on some sort of hard drug!! The most put together, professional, nicest managers would admit they have a huge coke problem, like it was no big deal, I used to be shocked by how common it was.
    Im always amazed by the crazy lengths drug dealers would go to try and get the drugs in, one episode showed like a pallet of cling film where the heroin was made into the layers of plastic!! If these guys were putting their genius to good use they could solve all the world's problems, fair play to the guts in the airport for catching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

worded wrote: »
    Yeah look at what the main invasive species has done there.

Ask any aborigines

Interesting that you claim Aborigines to be a different species to us...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

enda1 wrote: »
    Interesting that you claim Aborigines to be a different species to us...

Ask the Aborigines what they think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

you would find more culture in yogurt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

croo wrote: »
    I remember a story in the papers here...about 10 years ago.
    It seems there is a ban on tje import of chicken into N.I. amd this guy was stopped by customs because he had a chicken sandwich. He offered to eat it then and there but was restraimed from "trying to destroy the evidence". It sounds like somethjmg from Father Ted. Anyway, the final outcome was he had to appear in court at some larer date and was fined then.

Same happened in the late 70's. Provo taking a bomb up north in a lunch box.
    Policeman asked what was in the lunchbox.
    Provo, "That's my sandwiches officer".
    Policeman, "it's tickin".
    Provo, "no, egg and onion today"...

Gets coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Worked in a certain aussie airport a few years ago...they have those stainless steel bins that you're supposed to put food in to dump it before you pass thru Customs.
    Had to do a double take one night, there was a great big Samurai sword sticking out of it!

Some of the Customs people were sound, one or two were complete winkers. Put a uniform on some people and they think they run the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

What shocks me is people takin out food and it does be crawling. bugs, maggots, beetles and the owners are fine wit it. Surely it isn't fit for human consumption. let alone having all them creeping around your suitcase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

deise08 wrote: »
    What shocks me is people takin out food and it does be crawling. bugs, maggots, beetles and the owners are fine wit it. Surely it isn't fit for human consumption. let alone having all them creeping around your suitcase

You've never been to a food market in SE Asia or China, if it moves it's on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi all,
    I was watching the New Zealand version of the show on evening and they busted several people for bringing in fruit off the aircraft.One particular customs guy was grinning when he busted a family. When the father protested that they'd been given the fruit on the aircraft, by the airline cabin crew,the official got nasty and threatened them with court and implied that they could stay in the airport until Monday morning to face the judge, or else. Turned out to be a fine of about NZ$240..to me, it appeared to be a bit of a scam as the official nailed several people in the queue, all of whom had been given fruit on board just a few minutes before landing. All of the victims had just stuffed the fruit into their bags in a hurry. Now, given that the fruit is regarded as acceptable for flight crew to use, how is it unacceptable for pax to use? How is it acceptable for flight crew to give fruit to passengers , knowing that the transport of fruit in NZ is unlawful?
    I'd caution people to not accept any fruit from the crew. I'd love to know if anyone challenged the issue.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Orientals seem to get a rough time of it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Orientals seem to get a rough time of it

Apparently "oriental" is quite the racist term :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Same happened in the late 70's. Provo taking a bomb up north in a lunch box.
    Policeman asked what was in the lunchbox.
    Provo, "That's my sandwiches officer".
    Policeman, "it's tickin".
    Provo, "no, egg and onion today"...

Gets coat.

Jesus. That's so bad it made me laugh. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

sabat wrote: »
    For me the offensive bits are when the heavily-armed customs/navy ships stop some rickety old Indonesian fishing boat hundreds of miles off the coast and get all self-righteous about their territorial waters.

Meanwhile plane-loads of Chinese "students" land daily and disappear into Chinatown, never to be seen again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I was watching the New Zealand version of the show on evening and they busted several people for bringing in fruit off the aircraft.One particular customs guy was grinning when he busted a family. When the father's protested that they'd been given the fruit on the aircraft, by the airline cabin crew,the official got nasty and threatened them with court and implied that they could stay in the airport until Monday morning to face the judge, or else. Turned out to be a fine of about NZ$240..to me, it appeared to be a bit of a scam as the official nailed several people in the queue, all of whom had been given fruit on board just a few minutes before landing. All of the victims had just stuffed the fruit into their bags in a hurry. Now, given that the fruit is regarded as acceptable for flight crew to use, how is it unacceptable for pax to use? How is it acceptable for flight crew to give fruit to passengers , knowing that the transport of fruit in NZ is unlawful?
    I'd caution people to not accept any fruit from the crew. I'd love to know if anyone challenged the issue.

regards
    Stovepipe

The fruit/food is for consumption on the flight not for a doggy bag. Customs cannot possibly tell whether that piece of fruit was cleared by customs previously or brought in from afar and possibly carrying something undesirable.

Zero tolerance all the time, every time.

Advertisement