Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing to Declare Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The stupidity of passengers on this show never ceases to amaze me. One simple SIMPLE question: Have you any food with you, tick yes or no, how easy can you get? And yet every single week you get at least 2 people who look at the crew pure dumbstruck when they are told that their food has to be confiscated because it wasnt declared and is a danger.

One woman even spent 10 minutes one episode refusing to accept that curry powder was "food". Another couple laughed when they were told they couldnt bring it with them and when asked why they didnt declare it they just looked blank and said nothing. I would not be able to hold my temper if i worked there, fair play to the staff for their patience. The card is even available in all languages so they have no excuse.

If you have food then declare it you ****ing idiots :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

It is a real bugbear with me when I see the absolute fúcking crap foodstuffs some people try to bring on holidays.

Like FFS who needs to bring two whole suitcases of dried rotten fish and another suitcase of dried leaves/spices?

Yes poverty plays its part but how much did the flight ticket cost?

I will never get my head around it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

While the OP may feel hard done by, I'm betting that there's an entire backpacker hostel full of people relieved, that thanks to customs, they weren't be forced to endure yet another tedious rendition of bloody Wonderwall from 'that guy' who always breaks out the gituar at a party..... Sighs of relief all 'roud I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It's a pity the Irish authorities didn't apply a bit more vigilance at our points
    of entry, we would have less undesirable weeds, drugs, fake products and people entering the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Maybe they should take all a passengers food if they declared no on the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

aujopimur wrote: »
    It's a pity the Irish authorities didn't apply a bit more vigilance at our points
    of entry, we would have less undesirable weeds, drugs, fake products and people entering the country.

I am not sure its their job to decide if someone is undesirable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Myrddin wrote: »
    A very delicate & unique eco-system to protect?
    Mother nature demands the week be destroyed. Australia has managed to evade natures wrath for too long, the rabbit has shown us the way by declaring an unmerciful war on Australia and was been winning almost single handedly. The rabbit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

They have had a terrible impact in the past due to invasive species, but the attitudes the staff have is appalling and they are seriously over the top about items like commercial fruits handed out on flights, I am fairly certain the controls where they actually matter on foods coming in off ships or other mass transport will be much laxer.

I don't really get where this idea that the Aussi's are good at protecting the environment stuff is coming from at all, look at the types of mining operations they run and the impact they have had on water tables in particular may have a massive impact in the future (and not just in an strictly environmental sense instead threating habitability)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Boombastic wrote: »
    yep Queensland doesn't like rabbits. I have a photo of a sign in a field that says 'no rabbits beyond this point' with a picture of a big rabbit on it, Len Brennan would love it there :)

"It's Bishop Brennan to you.... you little bollox!"

:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Introduced feral goats/pigs/cats/camels/foxes/rabbits/cane toads/horses/water buffalo/mynahs/pigeons/starlings, I'm sure there's more.

Exterminated Thylacine and a number of smaller rodents and marsupials, prob foxes and cats took care of the smaller guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

They enforce, not decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

ScumLord wrote: »
    Mother nature demands the week be destroyed. Australia has managed to evade natures wrath for too long, the rabbit has shown us the way by declaring an unmerciful war on Australia and was been winning almost single handedly. The rabbit!

Haven't they a problem with cane toads that were introduced as well?

Or maybe thats somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No cane toads too. Just about anything introduced to that environment sets a path of destruction across the country.

Anyone watch the Canadian version?

They take no shít from the Yanks when they try to cross the border, especially the ones who have guns in the car, the gun policies seem a lot more rigid in Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Up in QLD major problem, they got into the Top End, should be crawling their way into north east WA by now.

They were introduced to get rid of the cane beetle, but the bastard of a beetle lives up the cane stalk out of reach of the toad. Major d'oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yeah I watch that programme, while i get that they are enforcing the rules they seem about as friendly as a nest of vipers.

There was one eposide where the immigration crowd were interviewing an "oirish guy", and they put subtitles on the screen ever time he talked.

It wasn't that bloody hard to understand him.

He was from Galway wasn't he..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Anything to declare, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

I get the distinct impression Australias "we're mad we are" image is as close to reality as the American one of "we're all wild and free". Health and safety runs the place, much like in the UK. I read somwhere it is the Health and safety Sign capitial of the world.

Totally. I've never been anywhere so obsessed with rules in my life. On a 24 hour Greyhound bus journey through Queensland, they wouldn't let you lie across a seat because it meant your seatbelt wouldn't work (well have proper reclining seats then you cheap bastards; they seem to manage that in South America). I couldn't face a bus all the way to Sydney so I rented a car; got done for doing 4KMs over the speed limit on the Pacific Coast Highway - "double points, double jeopardy" because it was close to Christmas, A$300 fine (not that I paid it). It was the same the whole time I was there; they love rules and love the sound of their own voice enforcing them (the guy in front of me at Cairns airport had a guitar and went through the same **** referred to earlier, because it was "wood" ffs).

In Victoria they seriously discussed the wearing of helmets in cars in Parliament.

Forget the exact name, but it does be on the same channel at the australian one I think.

MadsL wrote: »
    He was from Galway wasn't he..

No, he was a Dub actually.

Anything else to contribute to the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@SIJ, the thing about the flight crew giving out fruit to pax is that several things don't sit right; the fruit is already packed in a controlled environment and arrives at the aircraft from the controlled environment of the flight catering kitchen; the flight crew are eating the same fruit so it must have already been accepted by the Australian airline; the fruit often originates in Australia anyway and simply goes out on the outbound leg and is distributed both outbound and inbound; the timing of the cabin crew giving it to pax so late in the flight is down to pure laziness, ie, the cabin crew don't want to have to carry all that fruit back to the galleys because surplus has to be binned and they couldn't be arsed. So, if a cabin crewperson gives a passenger fruit that is already previously checked for suitability for crew to eat and, as far as the passenger is concerned, originated on the aircraft and not on some fly-blown stall in Hong Kong, then the cabin crew are at fault if they cause the passenger to be hit by customs for a fine. The Cabin crew are perfectly aware that the fruit should not be imported because they are always briefed to this effect and Customs know this to be so and are taking the piss out of the pax by hitting them with fines or threats of a court appearance. Quite simply, they should put up a sign in the aircraft that says that cabin crew are not under any circumstances to give fruit to pax if it may cause them to be fined or jailed or denied entry.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Strangely enough a Canadian friends mom was stopped bringing maple syrup into Ireland last week because it was a food product that could have damaging effects :confused: . But I love watching nothing to declare, especially when someone is coming on holiday and their bag is full of crazy food they try to pass off as "medicine" :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dpe wrote: »
    Totally. I've never been anywhere so obsessed with rules in my life. On a 24 hour Greyhound bus journey through Queensland, they wouldn't let you lie across a seat because it meant your seatbelt wouldn't work (well have proper reclining seats then you cheap bastards; they seem to manage that in South America). I couldn't face a bus all the way to Sydney so I rented a car; got done for doing 4KMs over the speed limit on the Pacific Coast Highway - "double points, double jeopardy" because it was close to Christmas, A$300 fine (not that I paid it). It was the same the whole time I was there; they love rules and love the sound of their own voice enforcing them (the guy in front of me at Cairns airport had a guitar and went through the same **** referred to earlier, because it was "wood" ffs).

In Victoria they seriously discussed the wearing of helmets in cars in Parliament.

i dont think you can blame the general population for a bunch of health and safety obsessed retards in government

well alright, you can but they probably voted for them for other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Anyone watch the Canadian version?

They take no shít from the Yanks when they try to cross the border, especially the ones who have guns in the car, the gun policies seem a lot more rigid in Canada.

Yes, it's interesting.
    I live in Canada and have witnessed Americans with guns trying to get across the border.
    The Canadian customs agents take no crap from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've seen a couple of episodes of the Aussie one where Irish people have been detained by immigration. In both episodes, they had to use subtitles for the Irish guys (who were speaking English, BTW).

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Mr E wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of episodes of the Aussie one where Irish people have been detained by immigration. In both episodes, they had to use subtitles for the Irish guys (who were speaking English, BTW).

Australians speak unbelievably slow. Anymore that a word every couple of seconds and their dumbfounded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Why the hell would anyone want to face this crap? Never been to Australia and frankly if that is the way they behave in customs they will not be getting my cash anytime soon.

I can't believe that they are showing customs people being so abusive to tourists. It really sets the whole customs people in a bad light. OK enforce the rules but Christ some of them REALLY have chips on their shoulders and seem to be acting as little Hitlers.

200 dollars for an apple given to people on a plane before landing, seems like stupidity to me. Fine the airline not the damned passengers. Smacks of a money making racket to me..

OH and the bloody accents of those women.. EEEEEEEkkkkkkk....

Advertisement