Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing to Declare Australia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

sabat wrote: »
    For me the offensive bits are when the heavily-armed customs/navy ships stop some rickety old Indonesian fishing boat hundreds of miles off the coast and get all self-righteous about their territorial waters.

These 'Rickety old boats' partake in shark fin fishing FFS.

If you aren't aware of:

1, How cruel that is or
    2, just how a lack of sharks can fcuk up their reefs and the eco system that lives there, you need to look it up yourself.

Jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

WellThen? wrote: »
    I got stopped with a semi acoustic guitar. I declared I was bringing wood into the country thought I would be fine. As it was semi acoustic it had a small electric box inside it. They had to open it to look inside and check it after putting it through the scanner 10 times. Well obviously it was then broke and they were so rude about it. I suppose I'm just bitter about it!

Did it go a little something like this?:

It's shameful way to treat a man who just wants to bring wood to a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Ah my pet cane toad, that did cause a bit of ruckus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Mint Aero wrote: »
    and what's with Asians and food :confused: do they not know you can buy food in other countries too.

Irish people are as bad with their rashers and tae bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Airport security are pricks of the highest order where ever you go. Always trying to make a mountain out of a molehill so they can exert the little bit of power they have.

If they make a lad miss their flight or lose their temper (and then have the LEO's standing by shoot them or lock them up) that is a victory for them. They go home then thinking they saved the world.

A certain level of gob****edness has to be required to do the job, no reasonable person would tell someone who only wants to take a little tube of toothpaste to go to the back of the queue and pay over the odds for a silly plastic bag for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Ah my pet cane toad, that did cause a bit of ruckus.

I would have called 'em chuswassers.

Airport security are pricks of the highest order where ever you go. Always trying to make a mountain out of a molehill so they can exert the little bit of power they have.

If they make a lad miss their flight or lose their temper (and then have the LEO's standing by shoot them or lock them up) that is a victory for them. They go home then thinking they saved the world.

A certain level of gob****edness has to be required to do the job, no reasonable person would tell someone who only wants to take a little tube of toothpaste to go to the back of the queue and pay over the odds for a silly plastic bag for it

I never have a problem at an airport, I follow the instructions and listen to what they security people say, and as if by magic, always get through with no hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I never have a problem at an airport, I follow the instructions and listen to what they security people say, and as if by magic, always get through with no hassle.

The day that they take issue with some mundane item you have with you (or become convinced you're an evil terr'ist) is statistically bound to arrive at some point.

Of course it always helps if you're happy to throw whatever you have with you into the bin. Some of the rules they come up with are more to get people used to taking orders from ignorant grunts without question than anything remotely to do with safety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

I wish these security people's would do some work in the departures part of the airport. Stop some of the annoying Aussie pricks from leaving the place. G'day mate. It'll only be a g'day when you **** off out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Remember arriving in perth from sydney and a lovely little dog sniffing around the other halfs bag. She starts to pet it, i start to shit it...i'm thinking banged up abroad.

Turns out the dog caught the smell of fruit...an apple she'd eaten on the flight, that had been in the bag earlier. She smiled at the customs man....i went into the toilets and changed my jocks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Every time i ca

Why is it just Australia? You wouldn't see our security hassling somebody over these things.

P.S. I know it's just a show but I have had my own terrible experiences with them too.

Want to bet. I worked at the airport with a security company for a while I have seen our customs get fine and narky when they want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Mint Aero wrote: »
    and what's with Asians and food :confused: do they not know you can buy food in other countries too.

I know, and they wouldn't even have to pay for it. Some of the stuff they eat, I have living under rocks in my garden,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

So as someone thats been to Australia, presumably you're aware of what a beautiful and fragile eco system they have??

I had no bother with them on the few occasions I've crossed the border. Nothing to declare/hide = nothing to worry about.

Great show btw. I love it.

i don't think a packet of noodles Will ruin the eco systems though,its a bit over the top to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

i don't think a packet of noodles Will ruin the eco systems though,its a bit over the top to be fair.
    A lot of it is down to not trusting the quality control in the country they're coming from. So, yes, packaged food shouldn't contain any live organisms, but they might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

The problem is that they don't declare them, noodles are cool if they admit they have them. But they lie on the card, then they always play the "no speak english" card, until somebody breaks out the fine, then all of a sudden they're fluent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

If you are asked by airport security - do you have any criminal convictions ......

It's best to say that you genuinely didn't realise it was a prerequisite to getting in

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

An unwelcoming and ignorant people in my experience*. Beautiful country though.

*in my experience, not all obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I live in Oz and believe me you are under no illusion when you are on the flight that you cannot bring food in with you irrespective of its origin. Chancers.

As to the rabbits, I'm not sure about all of the country but in Queensland you cannot even have a pet rabbit. They take these things very seriously not just for the television cameras.

There are hundreds of thousands of feral camels eating valuable cattle crops which all originated from them being let loose by explorers and navigators. They have a culling program in place for those.

Cane toads, big problems.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Do you have any food?
    No food
    What's all this?
    Sweets
    That's food
    No food
    Do you eat it?
    Yes
    Then it's food!
    NO FOOD!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

These 'Rickety old boats' partake in shark fin fishing FFS.

If you aren't aware of:

1, How cruel that is or
    2, just how a lack of sharks can fcuk up their reefs and the eco system that lives there, you need to look it up yourself.

Jeez.

1. I've only seen about 8 episodes but I haven't seen anyone caught with a shark or their fins on board.

2. The navy are out to stop them fishing full stop.

3. Anyone who's been to Australia will almost certainly have overheard some pig-ignorant person loudly ranting about "fackin' Asians" entering their country-the irony always amuses me highly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

There are hundreds of thousands of feral camels eating valuable cattle crops which all originated from them being let loose by explorers and navigators. They have a culling program in place for those.
    You can go safari hunting them. Some miss alaska was on a show getting her camel head stuffed after shooting it in Australia.

You can go safari hunting them. Some miss alaska was on a show getting her camel head stuffed after shooting it in Australia.
    You sure you aren't getting head and toe mixed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

xzanti wrote: »
    Do you have any food?
    No food
    What's all this?
    Sweets
    That's food
    No food
    Do you eat it?
    Yes
    Then it's food!
    NO FOOD!

I was just thinking of posting something the same until I got to your post. I actually like the show but the above is idiotic!

Some of them don't declare they have food (not sweets) and when asked they say they haven't any food. Open a suitcase and there is more food than there is clothes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I live in Oz and believe me you are under no illusion when you are on the flight that you cannot bring food in with you irrespective of its origin. Chancers.

As to the rabbits, I'm not sure about all of the country but in Queensland you cannot even have a pet rabbit. They take these things very seriously not just for the television cameras.

Cane toads, big problems.

yep Queensland doesn't like rabbits. I have a photo of a sign in a field that says 'no rabbits beyond this point' with a picture of a big rabbit on it, Len Brennan would love it there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

worded wrote: »
    If you are asked by airport security - do you have any criminal convictions ......

It's best to say that you genuinely didn't realise it was a prerequisite to getting in
    But surely it used to be a prerequisite for permanent residence.
    Say hi to your Kelly cousins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Boombastic wrote: »
    yep Queensland doesn't like rabbits. I have a photo of a sign in a field that says 'no rabbits beyond this point' with a picture of a big rabbit on it, Len Brennan would love it there :)
    Bunny apartheid:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Whatever about external border controls the restrictions they have on internal state borders are a little over the top. Fruit and veg bought no more than a couple of kms away cannot be brought over certain borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"yeah I'm being forced to talk to you with at least the smallest amount of manners because there's a camera pointing at me mate, but I still want to convey to you through my general demeanour that I'm an obnoxious racist prick "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Every time i catch this show,I am HORRIFIED at how anybody questioned is spoken to like a 3 yr old. I mean ESPECIALLY when they were hiding nothing in the first place. And their mental food laws, someone brings a packet of biscuits...

"You are risking the lives of Australians" I mean, I get it but surely they are going overboard.

"You need a permit for that cheese"

Why is it just Australia? You wouldn't see our security hassling somebody over these things.

P.S. I know it's just a show but I have had my own terrible experiences with them too.

Maybe find out why they have such strict rules instead of ranting?
    Great show btw. I love it.

Me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

The Australians do a good enough job destroying their own ecosystem,they don't need the help of tourists to do so.

Advertisement