Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Donnybrook is still short.

They need new drivers as the plan for the swift way service every 5mins.

Routes getting extra buses etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Donnybrook is still short.

They need new drivers as the plan for the swift way service every 5mins.

Routes getting extra buses etc....

The numbers still don't add.. i think the company is trying to do away with all the rest days and overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

The numbers still don't add.. i think the company is trying to do away with all the rest days and overtime
    Might be to cover retirements, promotions and fleet expansion. With the 90 new SG's arriving this year they've added 40 more buses to the fleet, and I think the average is 3.3 drivers to a bus. I'd expect they'll do the same next year as I think the NTA are starting to react to the constant crush loads on the buses, and recession traffic pre-LUAS CC running times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Liburn

Hi,i am EU citizen and i am planning to move to Ireland. I am 37 and I have ten years of experience working as a bus driver. Is it better for me to apply for a job in some small company or for example at Dublin bus? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Stonemad2012

what does the training involve ?, I am starting in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 truck_driver

Liburn wrote: »
    Hi,i am EU citizen and i am planning to move to Ireland. I am 37 and I have ten years of experience working as a bus driver. Is it better for me to apply for a job in some small company or for example at Dublin bus? Thanks.

First you need Your PPS number for apply ....
    you may have to move here first .... the process is long ....most time gets 5 up to 10 months
    if your plans is apply in Dublin bus .....move ireland.....find job somewhere and wait to get it ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Liburn

First you need Your PPS number for apply ....
    you may have to move here first .... the process is long ....most time gets 5 up to 10 months
    if your plans is apply in Dublin bus .....move ireland.....find job somewhere and wait to get it ....

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Takes a good while. It was around 6-7 weeks till I heard. Be set for a long wait...

Im waiting almost 7 weeks now, have full D license, CPC and Tacho card. How long more should I expect to wait ?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sisco14

2qk4u wrote: »
    Im waiting almost 7 weeks now, have full D license, CPC and Tacho card. How long more should I expect to wait ?

What stage are you at?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They aren't looking for drivers with full D anymore as they want to train drivers up with their own standards.

The whole process is slow but I heard they will be looking for more training staff as to cope with all extra they are looking to take in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Sisco14 wrote: »
    What stage are you at?

Got a letter today calling me for the written assessments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭alcaline

Rumour of 24 hour service next year

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lard

Where or who do you apply to get requirements needed below ? Thinking of applying and pay seems good .

Hold a valid full category “B” Licence with no endorsements for minimum of two years
    Have passed the Driver Theory Test for D Licence
    Hold Learner “D” Permit
    Have completed the Driver CPC Case Study Test

Lard wrote: »
    Where or who do you apply to get requirements needed below ? Thinking of applying and pay seems good .

Hold a valid full category “B” Licence with no endorsements for minimum of two years
    Have passed the Driver Theory Test for D Licence
    Hold Learner “D” Permit
    Have completed the Driver CPC Case Study Test
    Do you have a category B (car licence)? You need your full B licence for 2 years before you can apply to Dublin bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lard

Yes I have a B licence for many years . I found out that I can do the theory test and driver CPC case study test through theorytest.ie .Still not sure what learner D permit is .

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf219

Hi, I have the first stage assessment with Dublin Bus this Saturday, can anyone advise what this involves. I would be grateful for your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Yes I have a B licence for many years . I found out that I can do the theory test and driver CPC case study test through theorytest.ie .Still not sure what learner D permit is .

In olden times it was a Provisional Licence..

Here's the official line...

https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/LearnerPermits/Learner%20Permit%20Application%20Guidance%20Notes.pdf

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ie.wojtek

After you'll pass CPC's you'll apply for permit which allows you to take a practical lessons meaning you can learn on the road how to drive the bus. After you'll get some experience you'll have to apply for practical test. In here you'll have 2 modules. One about bus checks, emergency situation and so on.if you pass it them you'll take a driving test. This one last around 1hr.
    Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Got a job offer, delighted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Got a job offer, delighted! :)

Best of luck fella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 D Driver

Hi, I am considering applying as a driver with Dublin Bus. The application form asks if you currently hold a D licence permit. I don't have one at the minute but am in the process of applying for all the relevant documents required (D permit, CPC, etc.).

I am concerned that the current recruitment phase may end before I have the chance of obtaining the documents they require. I am wondering, should I apply for the job stating I don't have the licence yet or should I wait until I have them before submitting an application?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Designated surfer

D Driver wrote: »
    Hi, I am considering applying as a driver with Dublin Bus. The application form asks if you currently hold a D licence permit. I don't have one at the minute but am in the process of applying for all the relevant documents required (D permit, CPC, etc.).

I am concerned that the current recruitment phase may end before I have the chance of obtaining the documents they require. I am wondering, should I apply for the job stating I don't have the licence yet or should I wait until I have them before submitting an application?

To get the things you need doesn't take long so I'd say it's best to have them before applying. A friend of mine applied recently whilst waiting to do his CPC - they got back to him the following week and said to get back in touch with them when he had everything in place. He did and is now through to the next phase. DB basically won't progress your application till you have the bits of paper you need

Loads of activity with the training school at the minute so it's a good time to get in

• Registered Users Posts: 2 D Driver

Thanks for that Ds, will hold-off application for now so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

An article from the Dublin Bus website today has said the company will employ an extra 100 drivers for 2016.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Dublin-Bus-reports-passenger-numbers-reached-122-million-in-2015/

The numbers of drivers employed at the company last year was at 176.
    We are also continuing our recruitment of new drivers to meet this increasing demand for our services. Last year 176 new drivers were employed to cater for additional demand and to ensure that a quality service continues to be delivered for customers. The application process for professional bus drivers is open for 2016 and we hope to employ in the region of an additional 100 drivers this year. We currently employ approximately 2,500 bus drivers who operate 110 routes in the Greater Dublin Area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭bruno1x

Was told only 30% of new drivers hired last year are still in the job, make of that what you will.

bruno1x wrote: »
    Was told only 30% of new drivers hired last year are still in the job, make of that what you will.
    Where did you hear this? Not sure I believe the drop out rate would be so high.

Sisco14 wrote: »
    Where did you hear this? Not sure I believe the drop out rate would be so high.
    Im a DB driver, have seen with my own eyes new drivers not lasting long

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bruno1x wrote: »

Just to clarify Bruno1x,you were misinformed,seriously so.

The number of new-entrants who subsequently resigned,was nowhere near the 70% figure you were given.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Just to clarify Bruno1x,you were misinformed,seriously so.

The number of new-entrants who subsequently resigned,was nowhere near the 70% figure you were given.

Do tell, what is the real number then? 60%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf219

Is there any reason why the new drivers are not lasting?

Advertisement