Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

There is simply no way that Tubbins will ever leave here for the BBC, he has too many nixers in addition to his main salary from RTE. He has at least one gig per week hosting a seminar or an awards show that he wouldn't get in Britain. His jibe at Neven Maguire was about how all Neven's books are the same except for the title seems a lot worse when you see what the topic of his next book.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexfordpeople/news/tubridy-returns-for-jfk-book-30660805.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

ghiertal wrote: »
    His jibe at Neven Maguire was about how all Neven's books are the same except for the title seems a lot worse when you see what the topic of his next book.

I thought he only had a two book deal? Seems like the publisher think he will be able to cash in on his "celebrity" once again... Three books,not one of which would have be written unless Ryan Tubridy was a famous person...

It comes as Tubridy previously insisted he’s not leaving TV screens anytime soon after the revamp of the Late Late Show set.
    He added: “There’s a sense…it says that I’m not going anywhere, I’m really happy in The Late Late Show, I think we’ve had the best season since we started, I’m much more comfortable doing the Late Late.
    “I don’t know why or what happened but this September I came back thinking, felt more ownership for some reason.”
    http://www.goss.ie/2015/01/i-wish-him-well-ryan-tubridy-isnt-worried-about-pat-kennys-tv-chat-show-return/

He doesn't have much talk of going to the BBC now. Looks like that option is a busted flush

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭jmcc

He added: “There’s a sense…it says that I’m not going anywhere, I’m really happy in The Late Late Show, I think we’ve had the best season since we started, I’m much more comfortable doing the Late Late.
    Wonder if this season of the LLS will be the last and RTE just hasn't told him yet?

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

jmcc wrote: »
    Wonder if this season of the LLS will be the last and RTE just hasn't told him yet?

Regards...jmcc

Why would they go to the trouble of building a new set, in that case? :o;)

• Advertisement

“I don’t know why or what happened but this September I came back thinking, felt more ownership for some reason.”

And the rest of us still have the feeling that it's his first week in the job... Ridiculous that RTE are willing to persist with his mediocre performances..

I am getting a very creepy feeling with the hairs on the back of my neck standing up - he's gone very quiet about the Beeb, could it be that it's always darkest before the dawn??

Stranger things have happened......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

With the new set they'd better have more decent stand-up on, is all I can say.

5712236914_bba2282f87.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

MOD:

Post deleted.
    Read post #434 before posting here again

Regards...jmcc

It seems that he is desperate to keep presenting the LLS now. I think that the Gay Byrne-Stephen Fry interview really showed up Tubridy for the poor interviewer that he is. He has never generated that sort of interest or debate in the six years that he has hosted the show.

But asked if he fears Ray is his TV competition, Tubridy said: “Well, I present the Late Late Show on TV. And that’s my privilege to do that.
    “And if Ray wants to do that, he’d probably join a quite significant group of people,” he told Goss.ie.
    Ray is also rumoured to be replacing The Saturday Night Show host Brendan O’Connor, but Ryan insisted no changes have been made.
    “Brendan O’Connor is the presenter of Saturday night and I haven’t heard anything to the contrary on that front.”
    Despite holding on to his coveted talk show, Ryan admitted Ray would make a good host on the Late Late Show, but admitted there are a lot of good contenders
    “I think there are many people who would make good Late Late Show presenters,” he said.
    “But I’m not going to list them off because I’m only interested in the current holder of the job – and that’s me.”
    Speaking on a tour of his 2FM show - Ryan revealed he is loving the new Late Late Show set, and is happy with a new era of the series.
    “The Late Late Show has almost entered a new phase – it’s settled, it’s more warm, it’s more intimate. The house style, my own style, I feel improvements have been made,” he told Goss.ie.
    “Talk of what’s next on the Late Late Show is not of interest to me, because I’m only interested in what’s happening now. I’m not worried about who’s next.”
    http://www.goss.ie/2015/01/ryan-tubridy-im-not-worried-about-ray-darcy-stealing-my-show/

• Advertisement

Edit by mod:
    See mod warning in post #434 before posting
    /mod

Unfortunately, I can't get historical viewing figures. But these articles seem to suggest that audience numbers are greatly down on previous years: 1; 2; 3 - average of 850k in Spring '11; 650k tune-in to first show of Autumn '11; 630k watch show in Spring of '13.
    In changing approach in this way, LLS has become almost identical to the celebrity chat-fest traditionally aired on Saturday nights, now hosted by Brendan O'Connor. This has lead to the two shows competing for guests.

Brendan O'Connor's Saturday Night Show topped Ryan Tubridy's Late Late Show in the ratings this weekend
    O'Connor drew an audience of 501,900 compared to Tubridy's 499,600 with an average audience share of 36.76 and 34.21 respectively.
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/brendan-oconnors-saturday-night-show-tops-ryan-tubridys-late-late-show-in-rte-ratings-30978865.html

I can't ever remember this happening before. Tubbs must be costing RTE a fortune through lost advertising revenue yet they persist with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Regards...jmcc

I am pretty sure this show will be kept going for many years to come. Afterall, it is the second longest running chatshow in the world and the longest running chatshow in the Western World (North Korea does not count so it is the longest running officially). RTE are going to keep this going for the record.

Tubridy may or may not present it over the next 10 years, but the show will be there in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Lads, Jon Stewart is finishing up with The Daily Show- give him the Late Late gig!! :pac:

I am pretty sure this show will be kept going for many years to come. Afterall, it is the second longest running chatshow in the world and the longest running chatshow in the Western World (North Korea does not count so it is the longest running officially). RTE are going to keep this going for the record.

Tubridy may or may not present it over the next 10 years, but the show will be there in some form.

If ever there were evidence that the game is up it's this

"Ryan has also upped his game with this weeks guest list with Celebrity Big Brother runner-up Katie Hopkins making her third appearance in under a year this Friday."

Most people were annoyed at her appearance on the show last autumn, it makes you think that Tubs just doesn't care anymore. His contempt for the general public is almost palpable.

If ever there were evidence that the game is up it's this

"Ryan has also upped his game with this weeks guest list with Celebrity Big Brother runner-up Katie Hopkins making her third appearance in under a year this Friday."

Most people were annoyed at her appearance on the show last autumn, it makes you think that Tubs just doesn't care anymore. His contempt for the general public is almost palpable.

Very true. Katie Hopkins is joining a long list of regulars on this show. Regulars mean they will appear at least once every year.

Katie Hopkins is one of these people who try to be controversial but are annoying. After seeing her 2 times already this past 12 months, what can she add a third time?

This is a very poor show overall and only getting worse and worse as the years go on. Tubridy has only managed to continue on the worst aspects of Pat Kenny's shows while ditching the better aspects of that era. He has also managed to add in a whole lot of awful stuff and it is under Tubridy's watch we have seen this stupid 'musical band intro' per guest, a lot more of the likes of Mike Denver, increased airhead celeb gossip interviews, babytalk to all guests and more in the way of showcasing 'reality TV' contests. In other words, he has turned the show into an awful hybrid of Big Brother, the Voice of Ireland, Glor Tire and Bosco!!

In fact, Tubridy should host a new reboot of Bosco and the Irish version of Big Brother. Children's TV and airhead reality TV = the Forte of the Tub.

Brendan O'Connor's Saturday Night Show topped Ryan Tubridy's Late Late Show in the ratings this weekend

That's an incredible achievement for Brendan given the long tradition that The Late Late Show has... The writing is on the wall for Tubridy, both radio and TV, but nobody in RTE is prepared to admit their huge mistakes of putting him on 2FM and giving him The Late Late Show.

At this stage that waffle just reminds me of what Tubridy's FF pals used to say pre the economic crash... "There is not a problem", "The banks are well capitalised", "There is no problem"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm pretty sure Kenny Live used to occasionally beat the Late Late Show in the ratings.

As did Tubridy Tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Disgusting that troll is getting a 3rd outing on it. So basically we are funding that f**king horrible human being with our taxes. Ugh, so depressing.

That's an incredible achievement for Brendan given the long tradition that The Late Late Show has... The writing is on the wall for Tubridy, both radio and TV, but nobody in RTE is prepared to admit their huge mistakes of putting him on 2FM and giving him The Late Late Show.

At this stage that waffle just reminds me of what Tubridy's FF pals used to say pre the economic crash... "There is not a problem", "The banks are well capitalised", "There is no problem"....

I think it goes even beyond Tubridy: there seems to be some kind of an attitude: 'It's the Late Late Show, the [second] longest running chatshow in the world' and they get complacent. Put any auld thing on and it does not matter.

The SNS is imo a much better show and it shows what can be done with less time and less budget.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Kenny Live used to occasionally beat the Late Late Show in the ratings.

As did Tubridy Tonight...

This is true and this always depends on the guests. The Late Late Show got smug and complacent long before Tubridy took over and the brand rather than the content was emphasised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Tubridy just isn't a good interviewer. No matter who the guest is it's always the same old formula. Whenever a guest talks, he keeps going 'yeah....yeah....yeah' and fake laughing and cutting across them so he can move onto the next scripted question. Look at Brendan O'Connors interview with George Hook last week. He just let him speak and it was incredibly moving. Tubridy would've just cut across him and continued with his tirade of stupid questions and it wouldn't have had anything near the same impact.

Brendan O'Connor is an infinitely better interviewer. Tubridy will never ever go over time with a guest. Jesus, he had a holocaust survivor on the show a few weeks ago and he even messed that up. In contrast, BO'C just lets guests talk and does go overtime if he feels they're worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭jmcc

Could O'Connor be in line to take over the LLS with D'arcy taking the Saturday Night show?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Could O'Connor be in line to take over the LLS with D'arcy taking the Saturday Night show?

Regards...jmcc

Oooooh there's a thought!

Very true. Katie Hopkins is joining a long list of regulars on this show. Regulars mean they will appear at least once every year.

Katie Hopkins is one of these people who try to be controversial but are annoying. After seeing her 2 times already this past 12 months, what can she add a third time?

This is a very poor show overall and only getting worse and worse as the years go on. Tubridy has only managed to continue on the worst aspects of Pat Kenny's shows while ditching the better aspects of that era. He has also managed to add in a whole lot of awful stuff and it is under Tubridy's watch we have seen this stupid 'musical band intro' per guest, a lot more of the likes of Mike Denver, increased airhead celeb gossip interviews, babytalk to all guests and more in the way of showcasing 'reality TV' contests. In other words, he has turned the show into an awful hybrid of Big Brother, the Voice of Ireland, Glor Tire and Bosco!![/QUOTE]

He has fking Louis Walsh on tonight too. That and Katie Hopkins. I can see Brendan O'Connor beating him in the ratings this week too. Btw, neither Kenny Live or Tubridy Tonight ever beat the LLS in the ratings. In fact, the gap was usually from 200k to 500k in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

thelad95 wrote: »
    Tubridy just isn't a good interviewer. No matter who the guest is it's always the same old formula. Whenever a guest talks, he keeps going 'yeah....yeah....yeah' and fake laughing and cutting across them so he can move onto the next scripted question. Look at Brendan O'Connors interview with George Hook last week. He just let him speak and it was incredibly moving. Tubridy would've just cut across him and continued with his tirade of stupid questions and it wouldn't have had anything near the same impact.

Brendan O'Connor is an infinitely better interviewer. Tubridy will never ever go over time with a guest. Jesus, he had a holocaust survivor on the show a few weeks ago and he even messed that up. In contrast, BO'C just lets guests talk and does go overtime if he feels they're worth it.

Exactly....the guest list on the Late Late Show is absolutely irrelevant...he could have Barrack Obama, Elvis, Winston Churchill and Billy Connolly on and it would still be unwatchable.

His 'interviewing' is actually getting worse if that's possible, whereas Brendan O'Connor (who I used to hate almost as much as Tubbers) has evolved and matured into a half-decent host. Shame that he will be shafted to make way for Ray :(

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Says it all when it’s nearly 4pm on a Friday and there isn’t an specific thread for tonight's LLS..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Louis Walsh and Katie Hopkins tonight then? Wheres Majella O'Donnell?

Watched some of last night's show and again what a poor, poor effort. The compulsory appearance of Louis Walsh of course and that Katie Hopkins and her fake controversial act. Didn't we hear her stuff before and haven't we heard LW talk about the X Factor too. Plus that silly Valentines game.

To quote Paul Simon: I think this show and Tubridy as host is slip slidin' away. This show smacks of a host who is totally out of touch with his audience: a young old fogey trying to be the coolest kid around and failing is what Tubridy is. The nearest his destination, and all !!

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Exactly....the guest list on the Late Late Show is absolutely irrelevant...he could have Barrack Obama, Elvis, Winston Churchill and Billy Connolly on and it would still be unwatchable.

His 'interviewing' is actually getting worse if that's possible, whereas Brendan O'Connor (who I used to hate almost as much as Tubbers) has evolved and matured into a half-decent host. Shame that he will be shafted to make way for Ray :(

Keep Brendan and Ray and get rid of Tubridy!

Tubridy and Elvis? Elvis would be asked about his Irish roots, how he loves Ireland and about his plans to have children!!

Advertisement