Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

goose2005 wrote: »
    We'll be able to see every tear during the misery bits

Tear_Eye_Stock_2_by_jeanniefansStock.jpg

With all this ice bucket thing, I am sure the misery slot will be about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), a disease that is incurable, almost always terminal and much worse than cancer. Perhaps only Ebola is worse. As per usual, some poor ALS patient will be dragged onto Tubridy to provide sick entertainment for the masses to gawk at him/her. This is wrong: using a sick person as a form of entertainment. The person themselves is often duped into it as are their family.

I have two friends who have this awful disease, one in the very early stages, the other in the latter stages. It is an unpredictable illness and it usually kills people in 3 years. Sometimes, it only cripples the hands and stops (extremely rare and very lucky for the patient) but most commonly it progresses and robs people of every function usually leading to death. Stephen Hawking is one of the few to survive the complete range of challenges this illness throws at the patient. Colm Murray and others were not as lucky.

To me, Tubridy's show is not the place for discussion of these type topics. We need to be very aware of ALS and other horrendous illnesses but we do not need to have some form of sadist entertainment made out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ryan Tubridy: I'd consider a full-time role at BBC

Jaysus he's gas.. I hope he brings this new found sense of humour in to the new season of The Late Late Show.. Funniest thing I've heard this year since Frank Stapleton, when asked to describe what present footballer reminded him most of himself, answered "Robin Van Persie".

I'd say Tubbs would have a very good chance of getting a full-time job at the BBC........... if there was a vacancy at BBC Radio Norwich.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I'd say Tubbs would have a very good chance of getting a full-time job at the BBC........... if there was a vacancy at BBC Radio Norwich.

he might get tips of alan partridge

That's precisely it. I think Tubridy even tries to act too much like Gay Byrne as well but he is not Gay Byrne. Because Gay was himself, whereas Tubridy wants to act like he is some sort of a new Gay and it just does not come across at all well.

Tubridy lacks knowledge about the simplest of topics often too. He has no indepth sense of what goes on in a lot of situations. Or how to have the appropriate emotions.

completely lacks genuine emotions. he has to pretend everything. Its nothing personal against tubs. im sure hes a nice guy in private. but no matter what you do in life, there is standard. There are good and bad ways of being a doctor or an actor or a postman. When it comes to TV presenting he is poor.

I always feel brendan o connor is much more natural in the role (may come in for criticism for saying that). Tubs like pat kenny may do better in serious current affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

You have got to hand it to him. He is just a big old pretender and he has got away with it.

Fake it til you make it and all that......

Only in Ireland :-(

• Advertisement

You have got to hand it to him. He is just a big old pretender and he has got away with it.

Fake it til you make it and all that......

Only in Ireland :-(

hes like the politicians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Roquentin wrote: »
    completely lacks genuine emotions. he has to pretend everything. Its nothing personal against tubs. im sure hes a nice guy in private. but no matter what you do in life, there is standard. There are good and bad ways of being a doctor or an actor or a postman. When it comes to TV presenting he is poor.

I always feel brendan o connor is much more natural in the role (may come in for criticism for saying that). Tubs like pat kenny may do better in serious current affairs.

He is too much of a lightweight for current affairs. Tubridy would excel with a bookshow on UK living or the likes. He is completely niche in that area, not cut out for mainstream radio or TV at all.

He is supposedly a really cool guy, but it's not enough to warrant the airtime he gets

He is too much of a lightweight for current affairs. Tubridy would excel with a bookshow on UK living or the likes. He is completely niche in that area, not cut out for mainstream radio or TV at all.

He is supposedly a really cool guy, but it's not enough to warrant the airtime he gets

Tubridy's stye would excel on a bookshow or children's TV but not a chat show or current affairs. He is not capable of filling the range of styles required for the Late Late Show.

Tubridy's stye would excel on a bookshow or children's TV but not a chat show or current affairs. He is not capable of filling the range of styles required for the Late Late Show.

i think the late late show has lost its mojo regardless. before the internet and sky tv, all we had was the two channels and thus people only saw famous people on the late late show.

Now you have graham norton, jimmy kimmel and so on. It has become a victim of the times. Having said that you have to make the best with what you have and in my opinion the saturday night show with brendan is superior.

I think they should probably only concentrate on one show with brendan o connor (sorry tubs). I was really impressed with how he handled pussy riot. What you think folks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Having said that you have to make the best with what you have and in my opinion the saturday night show with brendan is superior.

I think they should probably only concentrate on one show with brendan o connor (sorry tubs). I was really impressed with how he handled pussy riot. What you think folks?

Alas, the SNS and Brendan have themselves declined in quality recently.

The Pussy Riot interview was genuinely painful to watch.

• Advertisement

I too think Brendan O'Connor is far more natural and he has a better show. Pat Kenny has a good presentation style too in what he does.

I think that many of the chatshows and current affairs on RTE have become very stale in recent times. Brendan O'Connor's show and Primetime being exceptions (both can be excellent with the right material), other ones have become and are very poor. Pat Kenny did contribute good chatshows and current affairs during his tenure at RTE especially early on. Tubridy's initial efforts like Tubridy Tonight and his first LLS season were better than where he went later on.

Tubridy's and Kenny's more recent efforts to me tend to be built around the presenter with little thought about the topic: a sense of ego has crept in. For Kenny's The Frontline, it was all that awful negative spin on all that bank and bailout stuff flogged over and over. For Tubs, it was always a regular inclusion of guests he was comfortable with and a one size fits all interview content that included baby and love Ireland questions!

Sometimes, it is ok for a person to be themselves and find an audience. In music, it is not sincere if this is not the case. However, in chatshow hosts the chatshow host is the person who brings to the audience the people that audience want and who asks the questions the audience wants answered. This is not what happens in most RTE chatshows be it of a light entertainment or a current affairs nature.

As I said before, with regard to the LLS in particular, length is a major problem. Brendan's the Saturday Night Show and Saturday with Miriam are both superior and get more than what is done in the LLS in less time. The long drawn out boring interview with the first guest (usually an airhead interview about babies and loving Ireland!), stupid games with the audience and stupid intros by the band could all be scrapped if the show was shorter. Next FRiday, we will see Tubridy's LLS back on our screens with a new set and little other changes!

I too think Brendan O'Connor is far more natural and he has a better show. Pat Kenny has a good presentation style too in what he does.

I think that many of the chatshows and current affairs on RTE have become very stale in recent times. Brendan O'Connor's show and Primetime being exceptions (both can be excellent with the right material), other ones have become and are very poor. Pat Kenny did contribute good chatshows and current affairs during his tenure at RTE especially early on. Tubridy's initial efforts like Tubridy Tonight and his first LLS season were better than where he went later on.

Tubridy's and Kenny's more recent efforts to me tend to be built around the presenter with little thought about the topic: a sense of ego has crept in. For Kenny's The Frontline, it was all that awful negative spin on all that bank and bailout stuff flogged over and over. For Tubs, it was always a regular inclusion of guests he was comfortable with and a one size fits all interview content that included baby and love Ireland questions!

Sometimes, it is ok for a person to be themselves and find an audience. In music, it is not sincere if this is not the case. However, in chatshow hosts the chatshow host is the person who brings to the audience the people that audience want and who asks the questions the audience wants answered. This is not what happens in most RTE chatshows be it of a light entertainment or a current affairs nature.

As I said before, with regard to the LLS in particular, length is a major problem. Brendan's the Saturday Night Show and Saturday with Miriam are both superior and get more than what is done in the LLS in less time. The long drawn out boring interview with the first guest (usually an airhead interview about babies and loving Ireland!), stupid games with the audience and stupid intros by the band could all be scrapped if the show was shorter. Next FRiday, we will see Tubridy's LLS back on our screens with a new set and little other changes!

off topic a bit, but i remember one show where they had the husband of the irsh woman brutally killed in austrailia on and tubs was all serious and sincere. Then next guest was some reality tv star i think, and tubs was all nice and funny. I thought at the time and im usually laid back that it was highly disrespectful to the husband, given the severity of what happened to his wife. It was very bad form.

This is part of the problem. It goes from serious to funny to music to serious

I too think Brendan O'Connor is far more natural and he has a better show.

Brendan's the Saturday Night Show and Saturday with Miriam are both superior and get more than what is done in the LLS in less time.

As I've just said, though, the SNS and Brendan haven't been quite as good in recent times... :(

Nor, for that matter, has Saturday Night with Miriam. In fact, there was a real sense of going through the motions in both this series and the last... :(

off topic a bit, but i remember one show where they had the husband of the irsh woman brutally killed in austrailia on and tubs was all serious and sincere. Then next guest was some reality tv star i think, and tubs was all nice and funny. I thought at the time and im usually laid back that it was highly disrespectful to the husband, given the severity of what happened to his wife. It was very bad form.

This is part of the problem. It goes from serious to funny to music to serious

Hence you would have to question his sincerity in fairness. To be able to joke about with Brian Dowling or the likes after hearing some genuine horror stories makes you wonder if hes having to act his way through both ends of the spectrum

As I've just said, though, the SNS and Brendan haven't been quite as good in recent times... :(

Nor, for that matter, has Saturday Night with Miriam. In fact, there was a real sense of going through the motions in both this series and the last... :(

That is true. With all of the shows, there tends to be an all out strive to get it up and running at the start and then once it is established, a going through the motions style is adopted. Both were far better a few years back but are still better than Tubridy's LLS. I think Tubridy made a huge effort for his debut 2009-10 series but went through the motions after that and especially since 2012.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/whelan-reveals-late-late-show-frontman-ambitions-284183.html

He gets my vote!

We need a man doing a man's job. The "young fogey" has been given enough chances imo.

amdublin wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/whelan-reveals-late-late-show-frontman-ambitions-284183.html

He gets my vote!

We need a man doing a man's job. The "young fogey" has been given enough chances imo.

Good man Marty, i'd say Tubbs performance is on everyone's lips in the corridors at RTE.

He has some cheek, baffled about having such low listenership on the radio when he gets 6million in the UK. Its not even your show Tubbs.

I actually think he is better on the radio than the TV.

Would not be a bit surprised if this season is his last. A guest host every week would be great, sure there would be some car crash efforts but it would make for great tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,238 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

*waits for a boardsie to post 'that' picture of Marty in 3...2...1...*

That is true. With all of the shows, there tends to be an all out strive to get it up and running at the start and then once it is established, a going through the motions style is adopted. Both were far better a few years back but are still better than Tubridy's LLS. I think Tubridy made a huge effort for his debut 2009-10 series but went through the motions after that and especially since 2012.

I think you might have picked me up wrong here... :o

What I meant was that there was a sense that everyone working on this series of SNWM and the last wasn't 100% interested.

The guest lists weren't as good as they had been in earlier series, with fewer international faces and seemingly more "misery" slots. And the international faces they did get were either uninteresting (e.g. Jeffrey Archer) or didn't get to deliver what they promised (e.g. Daniel Radcliffe).

Miriam's wardrobe wasn't as good, either. In earlier series, she more often than not wore what us Boardsies like to call "Quality Street" dresses. Last series, however, she only wore a dress once (and an ordinary one, at that), and this series she didn't wear a dress at all... :eek: :(

Both of the title sequences used looked like they'd been thrown together in an hour (certainly in a shorter time than the LLS and SNS title sequences, anyway). The same can be said for the theme tune - not very dissimilar to the LLS and SNS ones.

As for the set used this series...

40247_e7e9fc4a71abbcb9874231b92d6b0e9a.jpg

SNWM has been on the air for ten years, and that's a good innings in anyone's book.

But might it now be time to say, "Well, the show has pretty much gone as far as it's going to go", and hence try something new next summer?

*waits for a boardsie to post 'that' picture of Marty in 3...2...1...*

??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,238 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I don't want the LLS gone.

I think bring back the panel, get rid of Tubbers (DLB) and let's see how it goes.

It can ONLY be better than the sheer sh1te of the last 4/5 seasons which I accredit to
    - the quality of guests (b-listers and the the rte canteeners promoting their rte show),
    - the dumbing down of the show (light rather than panel based) and
    - the rubbish host (do you like Ireland?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

He has some cheek, baffled about having such low listenership on the radio when he gets 6million in the UK. Its not even your show Tubbs.

It's not that he gets 6 million listeners in the UK, it's just that BBC havent given him enough time to kill off the show completely... Claiming to have some hand in the success of the show is really pushing it. He's holiday cover and that's all the BBC see him as, no matter how much bootlicking he does on air and off air when he's there.

Good man Marty, i'd say Tubbs performance is on everyone's lips in the corridors at RTE.

You know, I initially read that as being Marty Morrissey taking over the hot seat and even still I was happy!! ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭jmcc

He gets my vote!

While I dislike the mess he's made of the LyricFM morning show with his 2FM "banter", he's a professional and has made his way in the business through sheer hard work. I would like to see him get the LLS and leave LyricFM. Perhaps people are stopping listening to Tubridy's radio programme and switching to Whelan's LyricFM programme. Unfortunately nobody in RTE management wants to get rid of Tubridy because he's RTE royalty and it would be an admission of years of failure.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    Unfortunately nobody in RTE management wants to get rid of Tubridy because he's RTE royalty and it would be an admission of years of failure.

Impossible to put that better. :):););)

I don't want the LLS gone.

I think bring back the panel, get rid of Tubbers (DLB) and let's see how it goes.

It can ONLY be better than the sheer sh1te of the last 4/5 seasons which I accredit to
    - the quality of guests (b-listers and the the rte canteeners promoting their rte show),
    - the dumbing down of the show (light rather than panel based) and
    - the rubbish host (do you like Ireland?)

I would feel the same here. Between 2009 and 2014, the show has got increasingly worse. Idolatry of mini-celebs, baby talk and 'do you love Ireland/are you part Irish?' talk. There has not been a LLS I watched from start to finish in ages to be honest and I watched very little of last year after seeing the poor guestlist on it every week.

Surely, there are interesting things that can be discussed. Surely, Mike Denver and Westlife are not our only music!! Surely, we don't need to see Bill Cullen for a long time?

But things will remain as they are as long as Tubridy is presenting. All the above plus the annoying band intros plus the silly attempts at humour and all the time wasting.

But, here is a question: suppose if RTE decided to get rid of the LLS completely. What should replace it?

I would feel the same here. Between 2009 and 2014, the show has got increasingly worse. Idolatry of mini-celebs, baby talk and 'do you love Ireland/are you part Irish?' talk. There has not been a LLS I watched from start to finish in ages to be honest and I watched very little of last year after seeing the poor guestlist on it every week.

Surely, there are interesting things that can be discussed. Surely, Mike Denver and Westlife are not our only music!! Surely, we don't need to see Bill Cullen for a long time?

But things will remain as they are as long as Tubridy is presenting. All the above plus the annoying band intros plus the silly attempts at humour and all the time wasting.

But, here is a question: suppose if RTE decided to get rid of the LLS completely. What should replace it?

I'd like to hijack your question and add my own. Who would you all like to see replace Tubridy realistically if it was your decision to make?

it has been swamped with reality tv stars with no talent except for being famous for being famous. Its a victim of the times. You cant open a paper now days without niall breslin going on about his love life and how he grew up in israel.

I dont even watch tv anymore or buy papers. What i use is google news and customize the search results to only include stuff that i want to read.

I remember one time on CNN paris hiltons jail sentence was the headline news. says a lot about the times we live in

Surely, Mike Denver and Westlife are not our only music!! Surely, we don't need to see Bill Cullen for a long time?

Try telling that to the folks at Montrose while they have their heads bonded to the insides of their rear ends with super glue... :o:o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think world hunger will be eliminated before RTE decide to end the LLS... :o:o:o

And if they do end it, they'll almost certainly replace it with something that's only different in name and approach - just like when they replaced Questions and Answers with the Fr*ntl*ne.

And it's more than likely that they'll bring back the Late Late Show name within a short period of time, too.

(Mods, feel free to snip anything in this post that you think oversteps the mark. :):))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

it has been swamped with reality tv stars with no talent except for being famous for being famous. Its a victim of the times. You cant open a paper now days without niall breslin going on about his love life and how he grew up in israel.

That's why Tubridy is the perfect host for the Late Late. His general lack of knowledge and competence is reassuring to those TOWIE-level of guests that he usually has on. They must think (which I admit is a dangerous assumption :pac:) "Wow, here's someone who is so untelegenic and whose questions are so obvious and unimaginative that it makes me and my pseudo-reality show/film/book/soap/sex tape look interesting by comparison. How can I not look good seated next to this guy? ". Whereas a guest with any semblance of intelligence (Garry Kasparov for example) usually finds his line of questioning risible and they wind up getting angry or bored.

Advertisement