Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Options

Comments

Anyone who hasn't seen Kurt Russell on the Graham Norton show should set aside an hour and give it a watch. It's genuinely funny and is a masterclass in how to have a celebrity on and make it funny. The only downside is that they decided to stick Jenny Eclair on too and she's just a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The only time I see The Late Late Show is when it's on someplace and I can't get out of there or the channel changed. The last time I saw more than a few minutes was the night that Cuba Gooding Jr was on, it was one of the most painful things I ever saw and showed up Tubridy for the pathetic waste of talent that he is. The man has no idea how to have a conversation, he's stiff, unlikeable and makes his guests uncomfortable. When you compare him to Graham Norton you can see how it's really done.

With the Cuba Gooding interview, Tubridy completely lost it and Cuba said he'd have a laugh. It demonstrated how out of his depth Tubridy becomes when things go off script. Cuba knew Tubridy was acting a part and decided to rock the boat!

Tubridy does come across as not only incompetent but you are correct totally unlikeable too. There is a certain smugness about him and he can be condescending and he can be ignorant too (Joan Burton interview) and he can also be very annoying (Nigella Lawson interview). I could forgive an incompetent but likeable person but that is not Tubridy.

With the Cuba Gooding interview, Tubridy completely lost it and Cuba said he'd have a laugh. It demonstrated how out of his depth Tubridy becomes when things go off script. Cuba knew Tubridy was acting a part and decided to rock the boat!

Tubridy does come across as not only incompetent but you are correct totally unlikeable too. There is a certain smugness about him and he can be condescending and he can be ignorant too (Joan Burton interview) and he can also be very annoying (Nigella Lawson interview). I could forgive an incompetent but likeable person but that is not Tubridy.

Tubridy has an "I'm better than you and I know it" attitude, he's smug condescending and can be rather nasty. He seems to think of himself as some sort of intellect but having met the creature in real life he's the kind who reads a little Kerouac in University and thinks he knows it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Tubridy has an "I'm better than you and I know it" attitude, he's smug condescending and can be rather nasty. He seems to think of himself as some sort of intellect but having met the creature in real life he's the kind who reads a little Kerouac in University and thinks he knows it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-4wWTEa554
    Ryan Tubridy IFTA Red Carpet Interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

That pretty much sums Tubridy up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The only time I see The Late Late Show is when it's on someplace and I can't get out of there or the channel changed. The last time I saw more than a few minutes was the night that Cuba Gooding Jr was on, it was one of the most painful things I ever saw and showed up Tubridy for the pathetic waste of talent that he is. The man has no idea how to have a conversation, he's stiff, unlikeable and makes his guests uncomfortable.

Cringe, cringe. :o

That was a car crash for Tubridy, wasn't it? Why has the guy not been fired long ago? He's unbelievably bad.

I saw him (like you I actively try to avoid) one night some months ago with I think it was Christy Moore, and at one point one of the interviewees joined in, telling him what questions he should be asking - and the thing is, he was right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

What an absolute twat regarding his opinions on Scottish independence.

I'm taking a great interest in the whole thing as I like history and can also see the obvious contrast between this and the last time a country was considering leaving the Union.

Despite this interest I wouldn't tell a Scot which way to vote and I'm an ordinary person not some pseudo celebrity whose statement will get column inches.

Absolutely f**king idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yes, plus it's so bizarre for someone from the last country to have left the Union to appear so emotionally committed to Scotland not doing the same.

What does that say about how he feels about his own country? :mad:
    And he makes his living on the public service broadcaster - is there still a crime of treachery on the stature books? :rolleyes:

volchitsa wrote: »
    Yes, plus it's so bizarre for someone from the last country to have left the Union to appear so emotionally committed to Scotland not doing the same.

What does that say about how he feels about his own country? :mad:
    And he makes his living on the public service broadcaster - is there still a crime of treachery on the stature books? :rolleyes:

Tubs doesn't care about this country, instead of being grateful for having such a high paid job with RTE he uses his BBC nixer as a bargaining tool to inveigle more money from a publically funded organisation. He doesn't pay tax in the same way as 99% of the country's workforce no instead he is a company. He never mentions that his grandfather was in the IRA and when Gerry Adams brought it up he quickly changed the topic.

Now look who is his guest on tonight's LLS
    Michelle Mone OBE
    Ms Mone, 42, took to Twitter to express her fears about an independent Scotland’s £6 billion deficit and the risk of losing the pound. And she vowed to move to England if Scotland voted Yes in the referendum on September 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

ghiertal wrote: »
    Now look who is his guest on tonight's LLS
    Michelle Mone OBE
    Ms Mone, 42, took to Twitter to express her fears about an independent Scotland’s £6 billion deficit and the risk of losing the pound. And she vowed to move to England if Scotland voted Yes in the referendum on September 18.

His first question to her will be:

tumblr_lwyy5oPsoz1r4im53.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

fruvai wrote: »
    His first question to her will be:

tumblr_lwyy5oPsoz1r4im53.gif

"Tell you what, I'll show a clip and you take your bra off."

Sorry, sorry... :o:o:o:o:D:D:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

“I’m even going to go over there and campaign against independence. They better not get independence."
    ''for my personal reasons alone''

Personal reasons?What reasons could he have?What is wrong with them wanting independence.I am baffled.
    Surely right to self determination is a human right.Without some guy from another country telling them what to feel and talking about kilts and fried mar's bars as if that is all Scotland is about.Maybe he would be happy if we joined back with the British and swore allegiance to the Queen.
    People have died fighting for our freedom.Maybe he thinks Ireland and Scotland are too stupid to be able to live apart from Westminster rule.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Scottish Independence? Okay we are way off topic

Mod:
    Please stay on topic and discuss constructively the late late show prognosis.

Please also stay off the personal attacks on the host and stick to discussing the positives and negatives as his role of the host the lls.

Consider this a warning, any personal attacks going forward will garner mod action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Twink and Linda Martin have buried the hatchet to look for Twink's dog. This will be a big scoop for the next LLS no?

For Reals wrote: »
    This will be a big scoop for the next LLS no?

As a dog lover, whose heart goes out to anyone who's in Twink's awful situation, I couldn't possible make a joke about a big scoop being needed on the LLS :D

Broadcaster Ryan Tubridy is dusting off his dancing shoes and once again preparing to enchant the audience of The Late Late Toy Show with a musical turn.
    Last year, Tubridy treated viewers to a medley of Mary Poppins songs while he ran about the stage in the guise of rakish chimney sweep Bert - originally played by Dick Van Dyke."I am going to be dusting off the dancing shoes again," he said. "The producers of the show want it to be very much part of the line-up. It will be a bigger routine but I can't promise it will be better."Tubridy said the production teaming are considering three different thematic "runners and riders" for the show but have yet to make a decision."I can't tell you anything because I would be killed," he said. "They are all strong but I have a definite favourite."
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/tubridy-dusts-off-dancing-shoes-for-late-late-toy-show-30610812.html

"Of course I fancied him," she laughs. "I hadn't thought about it before then, but we had great fun on the show and afterwards. Ryan is one of the funniest people in the world and constantly has me laughing. I definitely look to him for advice.""It's nice when two partners work in the same industry, because when you get home, the other person understands what you are talking about. We can bounce off each other, as we both know the personalities and games out there."
    http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-features/aoibhinn-ni-shuilleabhain-tubs-and-i-are-living-together-but-no-plans-for-a-ring-yet-30611280.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Well that's it. The answer to the OP's post, 'yes'.
    Tubbs seemingly only gets excited about the Toy Show. We'll not see anything of depth or meaning, presented well, as long as he is at the helm, the boyish scamp ;)

For Reals wrote: »
    Well that's it. The answer to the OP's post, 'yes'.
    Tubbs seemingly only gets excited about the Toy Show. We'll not see anything of depth or meaning, presented well, as long as he is at the helm, the boyish scamp ;)

I love his comment that the producers are desperate for him to dance on the Tot Show; he must think that he is starring on Broadway. If that's all the producers are worried about they've got their priorities wrong.

Frank/Kellie Maloney will be on to talk about his sex change this week.

Earlier this summer, Tubridy said he "wouldn't rule out" a career in the UK following his successful stint at BBC Radio where he was covering for broadcaster Simon Mayo."If you asked me that question a couple of years ago I would have said that was highly unlikely," he said regarding a permanent move to the BBC."Now I'm more inclined to rule the option in than out. It very much might happen," he said at the time.But Tubridy says a move is not on the cards in the foreseeable future due to his demanding work schedule."At this stage I am focused and consumed by The Late Late Show and 2FM," he said. "They take all my energies. I'm not thinking about the BBC at all."The statement comes after speculation that Derek Mooney plans to leave his popular afternoon show 'Mooney'. While RTE denied that Mooney will leave his radio programme this year, they said they "cannot comment on next year".A spokesperson for RTE Radio said: "We are not making any changes to radio between now and the end of the year, and I can't comment on next year."

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/tubridy-rules-out-bbc-move-as-montrose-goes-silent-on-mooney-future-30616990.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭jmcc

So the BBC doesn't want him?

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

jmcc wrote: »

Regards...jmcc

who would want him though.... hes not good enough. unless the BBC wanted to deliberately sabotage their show like the "my lovely horse" father ted episode.

whatever one needs for presenting, he doesnt have it. he is a bit better on the serious side of things, but cant do comedy (bar the toy show) any good.

Ryan Tubridy was chastised by members of the press at a recent photo call for giving less than colourful rebuttals when being interviewed."Well, you gave us a great splash there," one weary hack said sarcastically. "I'll be sure to tell the news desk to hold the front page.""I'm sure you'll turn it into something sensational," Tubs replied. "After all, you lot are alchemists of evil." Whatever do you mean Tubs? http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-was-chastised-by-members-of-the-press-at-a-recent-photo-call-for-giving-less-than-colourful-rebuttals-when-being-interviewed-30617113.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ghiertal wrote: »
    But Tubridy says a move is not on the cards in the foreseeable future due to his demanding work schedule."At this stage I am focused and consumed by The Late Late Show and 2FM," he said. "They take all my energies. I'm not thinking about the BBC at all.
    jmcc wrote: »

Regards...jmcc

The littlest Hobo........ he'd go with anyone that would offer him a big enough bone......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The little bit of regard I had left for Turbidy went out the window tonight as I watched him interview Alan Shatter. It was terrible, there is no other way of putting it. Not once did he let the man finish answering any question he was asked, but he just made it so blatantly obvious that all he was interesting in was a scoop. Something he could trip Shatter up on so as to be remembered in the annuals of Irish Political history.

Bring back Kenny, Byrne, anybody! Please RTE, just get rid of this moron.

New Moon

I think we need to get Martin King the weather man on the show he has the Gay Byrne fun side. Turbidy is starting to grate on me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think we need to get Martin King the weather man on the show he has the Gay Byrne fun side. Turbidy is starting to grate on me.

Are you for real? I think there might be sawdust in that man's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Well, he did manage to get Linda Martin on his afternoon show on TV3, in which she told the world that all is well with her and Twink again - post Teddy ordeal! Guess Martin got the scoop!! ;)

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Well, he did manage to get Linda Martin on his afternoon show on TV3, in which she told the world that all is well with her and Twink again - post Teddy ordeal! Guess Martin got the scoop!! ;)

:confused:

Oh well if he got that then he simply MUST be brought on to replace DLB on the lls
    :cool:

• Advertisement

I can imagine Mr King wearing his Xmas jumper on the Toy show and jumping around the place.
    Well, he did manage to get Linda Martin on his afternoon show on TV3, in which she told the world that all is well with her and Twink again - post Teddy ordeal! Guess Martin got the scoop!!
    He could make peace in the Middle East he has the talent.And is better looking than Bing Crosby wannabe Tubridy

Advertisement