Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

he reminds me actually of glenda gilson on xpose when i see her. She just isnt comfortable in the role. Lisa cannon nails it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Roquentin wrote: »
    he reminds me actually of glenda gilson on xpose when i see her. She just isnt comfortable in the role. Lisa cannon nails it

I agree with the first part Lisa :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Sky Broadband is renewing its sponsorship of The Late Late Show on RTÉ One for a second year, which will include stings around the show and an online presence.
    http://www.businessandleadership.com/marketing/item/47390-sky-broadband-renews-its/

Roquentin wrote: »
    he reminds me actually of glenda gilson on xpose when i see her.

Should I be very worried about your eyesight?

Tubs feels like he's hit his stride with the production.But he is hoping to take things to another level this year."We have a new set coming in January and I cannot wait, it's like redecorating my house," he said."I have hit my stride, I feel poised, calm and confident. I'm ready and fighting." Tubs recently revealed that he'd contemplate a full-time move to the BBC in the not-too-distant future."If you asked me that question a couple of years ago I would have said that was highly unlikely - now I'm more inclined to rule the option in than out," he admitted."It very much might happen."
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/ryan-tubridy-will-return-with-paul-mcginley-rose-of-tralee-winner-maria-walsh-and-baz-ashmaway-for-late-late-lineup-30561269.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭jmcc

ghiertal wrote: »
    Tubs recently revealed that he'd contemplate a full-time move to the BBC in the not-too-distant future."If you asked me that question a couple of years ago I would have said that was highly unlikely - now I'm more inclined to rule the option in than out," he admitted."It very much might happen."
    Is the BBC aware of this?

Regards...jmcc

Should I be very worried about your eyesight?

they are both rubbish at their jobs is what i mean:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Lads, do you think, in the dead of night, when Tub's is lying beside Aoibhinn in his €2 million house, he wonder's...
    "How the hell did I manage this?!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

jmcc wrote: »
    Is the BBC aware of this?

Regards...jmcc
    I'm not going to alert them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »
    Lads, do you think, in the dead of night, when Tub's is lying beside Aoibhinn in his €2 million house, he wonder's...

that and i often wonder can he wriggle his ears

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Agricola wrote: »

He's probably wondering where it all went wrong ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

All the bad vibes were again there last night with Tubridy: the overemphasis on the Rose of Tralee's sexuality, the fake aggressive and childish interview of Joan Burton (you want to be Taoiseach .. I will take that as a yes - he said that several times), divergence to some borderline babytalk with Baz, and then Deirdre O'Kane (personally, I can take her or leave her but the other people in the house one loves her the other hates her and arguments start)!

By all means, there have been poorer shows than last night's but it does not bode well as a season opener. We are again poised for more mediocre attempts in the coming weeks with Tubridy making a jack of himself more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

All the bad vibes were again there last night with Tubridy: the overemphasis on the Rose of Tralee's sexuality, the fake aggressive and childish interview of Joan Burton (you want to be Taoiseach .. I will take that as a yes - he said that several times), divergence to some borderline babytalk with Baz, and then Deirdre O'Kane (personally, I can take her or leave her but the other people in the house one loves her the other hates her and arguments start)!

By all means, there have been poorer shows than last night's but it does not bode well as a season opener. We are again poised for more mediocre attempts in the coming weeks with Tubridy making a jack of himself more often than not.

Have to agree that it wasn't the best of starts.

For me the one and only highlight was the Rose of Tralee. If she hadn't have been on it would have been a fairly poor show. She has a great personality.

By the time of the Deirdre O'Kane interview I was losing interest. I'm not much of a fan of Deirdre and find her quite annoying when interviewed. The young actress beside her while stunningly beautiful was not very interesting (she lacked the personality of Maria Walshe) and certainly didn't add anything to the interview.

The mediocre guest list may possibly always be a problem with the LLS along with you know who.......

It all seemed so parochial.......as much as I love her, was the Rose of Tralee really the big ticket guest on the first LLS of the season?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Will the LLS have the winning all Ireland team to parade their trophy like something out of primary school where the victorious 5th class team go around the school?

It's cringe.

Have to agree that it wasn't the best of starts.

For me the one and only highlight was the Rose of Tralee. If she hadn't have been on it would have been a fairly poor show. She has a great personality.

By the time of the Deirdre O'Kane interview I was losing interest. I'm not much of a fan of Deirdre and find her quite annoying when interviewed. The young actress beside her while stunningly beautiful was not very interesting (she lacked the personality of Maria Walshe) and certainly didn't add anything to the interview.

The mediocre guest list may possibly always be a problem with the LLS along with you know who.......

It all seemed so parochial.......as much as I love her, was the Rose of Tralee really the big ticket guest on the first LLS of the season?!

The Rose of Tralee was a good guest despite Tubridy's annoying interview. She was well able for Tubridy.

Comparing the Late Late Show with the Imelda May Show: Tubridy is a chatshow host for over 10 years now and he seems to be totally unnatural and inexperienced. Imelda May on the other hand was very natural and was good interviewing her guests despite it being only her second outing as a host of a show. Plus Imelda knew her stuff and obviously has a passion for music.

Tubridy seems to be lazy in his interview approach and does not seem to have a passion for anything other than babies, children and boybands. He uses a one size fits all interview approach for all and it is an excuse for him to be paid half a million and doing very little research.

Over the coming weeks, expect more of the same: the latest boyband sensation, Louis Walsh, the winner of the Voice of Ireland, Bill Cullen, some famous couple with a baby, the toy show, etc.

And with everything, I get the feeling that this show has outlived its usefulness and is only being broadcast to make the record of the longest running chatshow this side of North Korea!! The Saturday Night Show, the Imelda May Show and others are doing what the Late Late Show tries to do and doing it far better. So, are there even a need for this archaic, overlong show?

4/9 "I have hit my stride, I feel poised, calm and confident. I'm ready and fighting."

13/8“I thought we upped the game. It was the beginning of a Late Late Show reboot for me,”
    “I am fizzing with ideas and enthusiasm, even though my face might belie that.”

And what did we get? The same garbage that we've been subjected to for the last five years. The McGinley interview was a train wreck, so celebrity focused, lacking any nuance or understanding of the game or significance of the event. Why not use the Off The Ball for a sports segment on the LLS every week. I mean there is usually some sports personality on and watching Tubridy interview them on the biggest national platform is such a waste.

4/9 "I have hit my stride, I feel poised, calm and confident. I'm ready and fighting."

13/8“I thought we upped the game. It was the beginning of a Late Late Show reboot for me,”
    “I am fizzing with ideas and enthusiasm, even though my face might belie that.”

And what did we get? The same garbage that we've been subjected to for the last five years. The McGinley interview was a train wreck, so celebrity focused, lacking any nuance or understanding of the game or significance of the event. Why not use the Off The Ball for a sports segment on the LLS every week. I mean there is usually some sports personality on and watching Tubridy interview them on the biggest national platform is such a waste.

Tubridy keeps saying this every time and we end up with the same show. Useless is what it is and Tubridy is the biggest liability. He is useless with sports personalities.

Friday last's show was a very poor opener. Full of typical Tubridy performances that show at this stage it is worse not better he is getting.

Tubridy keeps saying this every time and we end up with the same show. Useless is what it is and Tubridy is the biggest liability. He is useless with sports personalities.

Friday last's show was a very poor opener. Full of typical Tubridy performances that show at this stage it is worse not better he is getting.

I thought that people were messing when they said that next week would be a Fair City tribute but it looks like it is true.
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/the-late-late-show-compiling-viewers-top-10-fair-city-moments-for-25th-anniversary-30573632.html

I'd probably vote for the kiss between Floyd and Heather though. Una Kavanagh was the only reason I watched it.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxjJwMVydLW0Zq0OchxAQn1KA0gUU5FP4rAsdjKAq1eYiYutoN

Tubridy against Scottish independence.
    “I’m even going to go over there and campaign against independence. They better not get independence."
    10521196_727660387269033_4881250243360830373_n.jpg?oh=3853bdf262254ff2d65562823c55dda4&oe=54CE4E31

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tubridy against Scottish independence.
    “I’m even going to go over there and campaign against independence. They better not get independence."

Focker has jellybeans for brains.
    Just as well he left Twitter as the Scots would hand his hole to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Was poor Ryan cyber-bullied off Twitter? what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Thargor wrote: »
    Was poor Ryan cyber-bullied off Twitter? what happened?

As I said..... Focker has jellybeans for brains...... and jellybeans for balls when the BBC wag their finger.
    He's one of Ireland's most famous 'Twits', but this week broadcaster Ryan Tubridy waved goodbye to his 60,000 followers for good on Twitter

Tubridy, who is four weeks into his BBC summer stint, had caused a bit of a stir earlier with a tweet about the London riots.

He was watching coverage on Sky News and commenting on the havoc taking hold of the city. He tweeted: "Awful scenes. The revolution is being televised."

He was believed to be referencing Gil Scott-Heron's 1970s political anthem The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

But some followers didn't get the link and criticised him for linking 'ignorant, violent thugs' with a revolution.

Some commentators even speculated that the notoriously conservative BBC could have been concerned about the controversy.

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/was-ryan-right-to-say-goodbye-to-twitter-26760297.html#sthash.8PQ4dFJY.dpufHe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats exactly the kind of statement you'd expect from someone who thinks they're supposed to be coming out with intellectual sounding quotes like that but is just a bit too dim to get it right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

I'm concerned people.
    If Tubbs is that passonate about Scotland leaving the UK....
    He realises Ireland isn't part of it right? Right....?

For Reals wrote: »
    I'm concerned people.
    If Tubbs is that passonate about Scotland leaving the UK....
    He realises Ireland isn't part of it right? Right....?
    I presume that it is somehow related to his BBC gig and he doesn't want to lose listeners but he shouldn't be taking sides on it. Fair enough a caller challenged him on 2fm about it but can you imagine if we were voting on independence and a Scottish dj male such a stupid comment. It's even worse when you think that his grandfather was involved in the War of Independence but this is not something that he readily talks about. He comes across as a Royalist so it's not so surprising.

Tubridy- "They better not get independence- for my personal reasons alone" , words fail me on that comment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Well he will certainly look like a right DLB in his kilt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

He looks that way already.

Tubridy- "They better not get independence- for my personal reasons alone" , words fail me on that comment

This is Tubridy's attempt at humour. He fails miserably here too. Scottish independence is a serious topics and there are valid arguments for and against. As usual, Tubridy trivialises the whole thing and thinks it is funny. However, seeing Tubridy making a total jack of himself in a kilt around Dublin would be funny!

• Advertisement

The only time I see The Late Late Show is when it's on someplace and I can't get out of there or the channel changed. The last time I saw more than a few minutes was the night that Cuba Gooding Jr was on, it was one of the most painful things I ever saw and showed up Tubridy for the pathetic waste of talent that he is. The man has no idea how to have a conversation, he's stiff, unlikeable and makes his guests uncomfortable. When you compare him to Graham Norton you can see how it's really done.

Advertisement