Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

THE Late Late Show is upon us again. On Friday, it will begin its 52nd season. Surely, the show is on its last legs. It is dispiriting. It lost its fire as a forum for national debate long ago, but what really irks are its inane celebrity interviews.
    The audience accepts that star guests show up to hawk their latest movie, book or record. But the conversations are engineered beforehand and this is grating.
    Watch the way a Ryan Tubridy or Piers Morgan ‘dances’ with his guests — half of it is pre-ordained blather. They feed their guests, particularly comedians, with cues, so they can unfold long, boring anecdotes or material from their stage show.
    These hosts don’t have conversations with guests. There’s no spark to the exchanges, not like the untethered course a normal, freewheeling chat takes. They’re like caddies at a golfing range teeing up golf balls for their master to blaze off into the horizon.
    PR handlers orchestrate matters before going on air. They tell TV presenters that their client can talk about this and this, but that and that are out of bounds. There’s a trade-off about what can and can’t be discussed — he can talk about his mother dying, for example, but not about his divorce, and so on.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/analysis/tubridy-faces-tough-task-on-tired-format-284365.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Saw the ad on TV last night, my god where did they find those people to talk it up, it's as bad as the one for RTé 2 with the average 30 something Joe's saying how great it is. Mind you if they offered me a few bob and put a camera on me I'd say it was great too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

ghiertal wrote: »
    THE Late Late Show is upon us again. On Friday, it will begin its 52nd season. Surely, the show is on its last legs. It is dispiriting. It lost its fire as a forum for national debate long ago, but what really irks are its inane celebrity interviews.
    The audience accepts that star guests show up to hawk their latest movie, book or record. But the conversations are engineered beforehand and this is grating.
    Watch the way a Ryan Tubridy or Piers Morgan ‘dances’ with his guests — half of it is pre-ordained blather. They feed their guests, particularly comedians, with cues, so they can unfold long, boring anecdotes or material from their stage show.
    These hosts don’t have conversations with guests. There’s no spark to the exchanges, not like the untethered course a normal, freewheeling chat takes. They’re like caddies at a golfing range teeing up golf balls for their master to blaze off into the horizon.
    PR handlers orchestrate matters before going on air. They tell TV presenters that their client can talk about this and this, but that and that are out of bounds. There’s a trade-off about what can and can’t be discussed — he can talk about his mother dying, for example, but not about his divorce, and so on.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/analysis/tubridy-faces-tough-task-on-tired-format-284365.html

I cannot see RTE ditching this show to be totally honest. It will be left there to drift into nothingness as it has done so for the last god only knows how long. 52 years is a long time and whether it really is the actual longest running chatshow in the world is immaterial (if it is not THE longest running, it surely is one of them). So, it will be left there to continue this record.

There's enough people watching it to justify its continuity. Some watch it for the occasional item of interest to them. Some do it because of tradition. Some do it because it is on over 2 hours and during that time, there may be little on elsewhere at some stage. Plus there many who genuinely like it as well. And there are those who say it is better than nothing and they miss it when it is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Roquentin wrote: »
    this is my issue with him. Gay byrne was genuinely interested in most people he talked to. you could see it. It was like a chat down in the pub.

Tubridy comes across as an actor. he has to pretend everything.
    Sucking up to Chris Hadfield when he got back from the Space Station for one thing, makes my fcuking skin crawl :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

calex71 wrote: »
    Saw the ad on TV last night, my god where did they find those people to talk it up, it's as bad as the one for RTé 2 with the average 30 something Joe's saying how great it is. Mind you if they offered me a few bob and put a camera on me I'd say it was great too :p

Yeah!!! "You neverrrr know what you'll get on the late late"

You do. A big load of sh1te. A cr@ppy presenter with a big load of stupid soi-disan(?) celebrities.

• Advertisement

I just saw this promo for this new TV show The Bee with Tubridy. Have definitely decided that this is what Tubridy is: a kiddies' TV man pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

calex71 wrote: »
    Saw the ad on TV last night, my god where did they find those people to talk it up, it's as bad as the one for RTé 2 with the average 30 something Joe's saying how great it is.

Is it like that other "vox pop" ad that they have for the TV license.. Where they have a bunch of metrosexual guys....

"The quality has like... gone through the roof".....

It's like the sort of vox pop you'd get in North Korea.. "ahhh, Kim Jong Un, he fantastic"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I just saw this promo for this new TV show The Bee with Tubridy. Have definitely decided that this is what Tubridy is: a kiddies' TV man pure and simple.

Saw the bee promo too.

Tubs definitely needs to switch to kids programmes. He would be in his element and could come armed with sweets

• Registered Users Posts: 33,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As much as I think the LLS is a dead duck, gotta say that this is true of all shows these days, not just the LLS.

Same applies to all the UK ones, US ones too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

He can complain about lack of A-lister guests, fact of the matter is he has flopped big time when faced with genuine stars. Rabbit caught in the headlights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The people who were featured in that RTE promo ad for the Late Late may have had to sign a permission form to even talk on an RTE camera. I know it happens all the time when RTE News come in and feature something or someone in a news report of theirs.

Is it the case that other departments in RTE do the exact same thing as them?

It does seem to be a pain in the backside when most of us pay the licence fee here. And within that, our time to even get a small bit of fame on TV is not guaranteed by the State Broadcaster once you don't sign anything from them.

Why on earth is that rule in place? Does anyone in the country even benefit from that at all?

amdublin wrote: »
    Yeah!!! "You neverrrr know what you'll get on the late late"

You do. A big load of sh1te. A cr@ppy presenter with a big load of stupid soi-disan(?) celebrities.

A classic late late show would be:

First section: the latest boyband sensation sing and talk to Tubbers.
    Second section: some rugby player comes on followed by an obscure, self important actor. Music by Mike Denver or some other awful plastic boyfolk act.
    Third section: Bill Cullen comes on and tells us we should work for nothing and how he survived losing his business and how he built back his empire. Music by some new band with a weird song.
    Final section: an interview with someone who has ALS and Tubridy upsets the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

We know it's only Monday, but we can't wait for Friday when Rose of Tralee Maria will be a special guest of Ryan Tubridy on The Late Late Show! So tune into to RTE One at 9.30pm Irish time or watch live online
    https://www.facebook.com/roseoftraleefestival

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭squonk

A classic late late show would be:

First section: the latest boyband sensation sing and talk to Tubbers.
    Second section: some rugby player comes on followed by an obscure, self important actor. Music by Mike Denver or some other awful plastic boyfolk act.
    Third section: Bill Cullen comes on and tells us we should work for nothing and how he survived losing his business and how he built back his empire. Music by some new band with a weird song.
    Final section: an interview with someone who has ALS and Tubridy upsets the person.

Come on! No leaking the lineup FFS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Rose of Tralee better be on the first LLS or else I'm boycotting it.

I'd imagine the bookers are furiously making calls to book her at the moment.

Are you happy now?

We know it's only Monday, but we can't wait for Friday when Rose of Tralee Maria will be a special guest of Ryan Tubridy on The Late Late Show! So tune into to RTE One at 9.30pm Irish time or watch live online

"So Maria, have you been to Muff yet?"

OK, it's bad but that might actually cause sparks and end up with a good interview in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Tubridy is a horrible host for serious topics. He's kind of like the anti Pat Kenny. Give him a bunch of kids to interview and he's very capable. Give him an election debate, a politician to grill, or some human interest thing and he's so obviously faking interest and understanding of the subject matter that its embarrassing.
    Funny thing is he seems to see himself as a intellectual!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

squonk wrote: »

OK, it's bad but that might actually cause sparks and end up with a good interview in the end.

I wonder how many semi/veiled offensive things he is going to say to her about lesbian stereotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Twinks mind: 'I didn't win the Rose of Tralee...or did I? Wait a minute, my names not Maria!' :D

I think Tubbs might be gone after this season too.
    It's painful to see him on and even his RTE benefactors must be thinking, 'Ah c'mon now' at this stage. Anyone non-RTE blooded would have gotten the elbow. Remember Barry McGuigan's stint as a talkshow host? Tubbs is marginally, dare I say, better.
    Marty is cheesy but he's a pro. He might cheese up the screen but he won't be scared like Tubbs. Any faults will be based on style rather than pure incompetence.

For Reals wrote: »
    Twinks mind: 'I didn't win the Rose of Tralee...or did I? Wait a minute, my names not Maria!' :D

It's painful to see him on and even his RTE benefactors must be thinking, 'Ah c'mon now' at this stage. Anyone non-RTE blooded would have gotten the elbow. Remember Barry McGuigan's stint as a talkshow host? Tubbs is marginally, dare I say, better.
    Marty is cheesy but he's a pro. He might cheese up the screen but he won't be scared like Tubbs. Any faults will be based on style rather than pure incompetence.

All true. Tubridy is poor and overall comes across with a style that is inappropriate for a chatshow. However, we can take two views of the LLS: defend Tubridy or say he is to blame.

Defending Tubridy: in his defense, Tubridy cannot do anything about the often poor choice of guests. Tubridy is not to blame for a lot of them being dead or not visiting Ireland. It is true that the same, tired format we have come to expect actually developed in the later Gay Byrne times. The emphasis on the likes of Louis Walsh and Bill Cullen date back to then and was continued by both Kenny and Tubridy. The show was locked into its boybands, bad Irish country/boyfolk acts, boring actors/sportsmen, interviewing the RTE canteen, etc. long before Tubridy took over.

Tubridy to blame: But that said and done, Tubridy still is not off the hook. Far from it. While he is largely not to blame for the content, he is 100% to blame in how he deals with it. The silliness in his interviews, the falling all over idolatry, the unsureness, the emphasis on babytalk and loving Ireland talk, the stupid band intros to guests, the poor handling of more serious topics, etc. are ALL Tubridy's doing.

Gaybo and Kenny were always professional and handled things well. They always appeared in control. Sure, they often had very poor shows too but Tubridy's shows may be no worse in content than Gaybo's or Kenny's poorer ones but the interview style of the man himself takes poor to a whole new platform!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

That promo that has been running for the past week or so is more cringe-worthy than one of Tubridy's interviews. Tubridy recounts moments from the last season like Majella O'Donnells hair being shaven or Will Ferrell briefly speaking to Brian Dobson like these events were somehow iconic, landmark moments in Irish television, or massive viral hits. It's frightening they actually got people 'on the street' to talk up this mediocrity, then again, I'm sure its easy to get a non-resistant soundbite from people leaving the lobotomy clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I wonder how many semi/veiled offensive things he is going to say to her about lesbian stereotypes.

Sneak preview...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

It's painful to see him on and even his RTE benefactors must be thinking, 'Ah c'mon now' at this stage.

No disrespect intended, For Reals - but you did post the following two weeks ago... :o:o:o:)

This is RTE and this is The Late Late, (says the Spartan working in the canteen).

Here are some rock solid truths:

Tubbs will never be sacked from the LLS regardless of ratings.
    They would axe the show before they axe tubbs.
    His defeat will be blamed on the LLS and they would scrap it and create a new show before sacking Tubbs.
    He is RTE royalty, so talent is not required. Our only hope is him quitting due to an offer somewhere else or shame.
    He was raised for that job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Agricola wrote: »
    Funny thing is he seems to see himself as a intellectual!

This. The man is quite possibly the biggest pseudo-intellectual i have ever seen on or off screen. He decided he was going to be an intellectual when he saw he was never going to be muscly or big. Unfortunately brains are required and an interest in the world. He has neither

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Very true. I cannot understand why we have to have this man presenting the show each year. He can only handle two things: boybands and babies. He comes across as fake everywhere else and seems incapable of talking about anything interesting or worthwhile.

I will be very surprised if we don't see Bill Cullen, Louis Walsh, some new boyband project, terrible Irish country, conjoined twins, a little bit of Twink, some inappropriate handling of a 'misery slot' story, baby talk with celebs, 'do you love Ireland' talk with celebs and so on. All this on a new set of course so it will be different !!! :D

You left out Amy Huberman from that list! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

No disrespect intended, For Reals - but you did post the following two weeks ago... :o:o:o:)

What can I say, I'm a complicated man that no one understands but his sheep ;)
    The fact that nothings changed but we're getting the new spark flannel might wear thin. I've hope. There's no way he'll be fired, more 'on to better and brighter things'....*wink wink*

ruskin wrote: »
    Will Ferrell briefly speaking to Brian Dobson like these events were somehow iconic, landmark moments in Irish television, or massive viral hits.

Jebus! If it was possible to choke yourself during that whole Anchorman interview I'd have done it. Just when you thought things couldn't sink any lower, on comes Dobbo our very own Anchorman.... Oh FFS! I was just about as embarrassed as it was possible to be for everybody involved and embarrassed that I was actually watching as well. It's right up here with the first BoyZone appearance for schlock. Shameful production really. All involved should have been P45'd immediately.

Jebus! If it was possible to choke yourself during that whole Anchorman interview I'd have done it. Just when you thought things couldn't sink any lower, on comes Dobbo our very own Anchorman.... Oh FFS! I was just about as embarrassed as it was possible to be for everybody involved and embarrassed that I was actually watching as well. It's right up here with the first BoyZone appearance for schlock. Shameful production really. All involved should have been P45'd immediately.

Anytime there is an actual celebrity on the show, particularly American, its always an embarrassing cringe-fest. Tubridy begins the interview completely out of his depth, and the perplexed guest spends the rest of the interview in a constant state of confusion, no doubt secretly wondering "is this guy actually a chat show host ? Why is he asking me so many questions about my tenuous links to Ireland"?

Don't you just love that mortified feeling whenever you watch the Late Late and there is an actual celebrity on? Its strange how a tv show can embarass its own viewers so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

ruskin wrote: »
    Anytime there is an actual celebrity on the show, particularly American, its always an embarrassing cringe-fest. Tubridy begins the interview completely out of his depth, and the perplexed guest spends the rest of the interview in a constant state of confusion, no doubt secretly wondering "is this guy actually a chat show host ? Why is he asking me so many questions about my tenuous links to Ireland"?

i agree. he looks uncomfortable bordering on being nervous. he is like C3PO sometimes

Advertisement