Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Sent it to him on fb and twitter. He's always on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Zyzz wrote:
    Hey lads, wondering if any of you could help me out as I am trying to get this drawing I did of him signed. It's not a high hoped request that it'll happen but if I never try I'll never know..or something like that! I've tried tweeting him but with the amount of followers he has theres not a chance he will see it, does anyone in here know him or know someone that could get a tweet out that he would see?

Zyzz wrote:
    (I'm expecting to be told to feck off..but thanks in advance! )

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

@Zyzz,

Wow that is really good man. You have serious talent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Drop into SBG and ask him yourself. He's a sound, down to earth bloke. I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem helping you out.
    And if you talk to him, tell him to drop by here and say hello again. He's always been a bit of craic in here! :D

Edit: Really good drawing by the way. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

This

And this!

I have a comparatively mild accent and people in the UK frequently can't understand what I'm saying! He's just annunciating more clearly. How anyone thinks he has an American "twang" is beyond me.

i watched an interview with him once where he was following the interviewers question by saying "aw haw, mm hmmm, aw haw, mm hmmm". Lived in the States for 5 years and have only ever heard Americans do this. How you can say he doesn't have an American twang is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Feenix wrote: »
    i watched an interview with him once where he was following the interviewers question by saying "aw haw, mm hmmm, aw haw, mm hmmm". Lived in the States for 5 years and have only ever heard Americans do this. How you can say he doesn't have an American twang is beyond me.

Why do you care? makes you seem kinda creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

JJayoo wrote: »
    Why do you care? makes you seem kinda creepy

I doesn't make him seem creepy. He's just making an observation. McGregor does put on that ridiculous twang. A lot of people from the inner city will do this when they want to disguise their actual accent amongst their peers. He's just trying to fit in. Although, imo, he really should just be himself and not the person he thinks the media/UFC want him to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Feenix wrote: »

Link? Also, it stands to reason that if you lived in the states for the last 5 years then you would only hear Americans speaking that way... so I'm not sure what your point is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Link? Also, it stands to reason that if you lived in the states for the last 5 years then you would only hear Americans speaking that way... so I'm not sure what your point is there.

No. and I haven't lived there the last 5 fives . If you think America is populated only by Americans then there's no point even trying to reason with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Thanks lads :)
    El Guapo! wrote: »
    Drop into SBG and ask him yourself. He's a sound, down to earth bloke. I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem helping you out.
    And if you talk to him, tell him to drop by here and say hello again. He's always been a bit of craic in here! :D

Edit: Really good drawing by the way. Fair play.

Ha I'd feel a bit intrusive doing something like that, and I assume there are a tonne of people there already trying to get pictures/autographs and everything in between. Not the end of the world if it doesn't materialise but no harm at all trying, thanks for the tip none the less! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Zyzz wrote: »
    Thanks lads :)

Ha I'd feel a bit intrusive doing something like that, and I assume there are a tonne of people there already trying to get pictures/autographs and everything in between. Not the end of the world if it doesn't materialise but no harm at all trying, thanks for the tip none the less! :o

You could always e-mail the gym at info@sbgireland.com, or tweet the gym @SBG_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

When Rogan interviewed Conor during 182 he said 2/3 times that an Aldo fight would be in Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Last time I was in Vegas I was playing at the poker table with one my mates who I went with.

We were talking to each other for a while and the dealer says to us, sorry sir but it's English only at the tables.

I think it's reasonable for him to slow down and enunciate when he speaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

mdwexford wrote: »
    Last time I was in Vegas I was playing at the poker table with one my mates who I went with.

We were talking to each other for a while and the dealer says to us, sorry sir but it's English only at the tables.

I think it's reasonable for him to slow down and enunciate when he speaks.

You and Lawlor do speak a very odd language at times though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Saipanne wrote: »
    You never heard him say "my man", like some rapper?

what rappers say 'my man' you sound like a sixty year old

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

crybaby wrote: »

Relax bro, ya gotta be chillin..... Dig??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I am sixty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

He's getting it possibly from Denzel Washington's character in Training Day. Thats the only person/character I've seen anywhere say "my man".

If one american says "my man" and Conor possibly stole it from that one person is Conor a dirty East Yank then? Or just a Denzel fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I never got this thing with some people in Ireland.

"You are not from there, You don't sound like you are from there" so f'ing what. Why do you even give a sh!t.

I got it loads, people decide for themselves where people from X should sound. Its like begrudger's like putting people in their place and don't like when they move from it.

What is next? , "sure Van Morrison (insert almost any internationally famous Irish artist) is always singing in an American accent and he is from Belfast what a w@nker, he should sing like where he is from...."

People don't realise how thick some Irish accents are how difficult it is for people from other countries to understand us at times. Nothing wrong with changing some colloquialisms and tone of speech in order to be better understood. Not changing "because that's where I am from attitude" would be more of a daft thing to do, the more people you can communicate clearly with the better.

I know people who have one accent for work and one when they get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I never got this thing with some people in Ireland.

"You are not from there, You don't sound like you are from there" so f'ing what. Why do you even give a sh!t.

I got it loads, and still do as people decide for themselves where people from X should sound like? Its like begrudger's like putting people in their place and don't like when they move from it.

What is next? , "sure Van Morrison (insert almost any internationally famous Irish artist) is always singing in an American accent and he is from Belfast what a w@nker, he should sing like where he is from...."

It's called jealousy, my friend. Conor has answered every critic with a stunny TKO win in his UFC career. When they couldn't tar him with that stick anymore it turned to how he speaks.

I think the term is "Don't feed the trolls"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

MagicIRL wrote: »
    It's called jealousy, my friend. Conor has answered every critic with a stunny TKO win in his UFC career. When they couldn't tar him with that stick anymore it turned to how he speaks.

I think the term is "Don't feed the trolls"

He didn't TKO Holloway. Anyway who cares how he speaks

So realistically would it be a much better idea to have Conor vs Aldo in a smaller stadium ie the Aviva, which is still bloody massive with a 50,000 capacity. It would be an easier venue to showcase Ireland to the world as a venue for high profile MMA events and that in turn would encourage them to host future events there.

Plus it would be much easier logistically to organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

He didn't TKO Holloway. Anyway who cares how he speaks

Exactly.

I don't like to speak in would have/could have's, but in this case had the knee injury not happened I think it would have been a safe bet to say the TKO was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Exactly.

I don't like to speak in would have/could have's, but in this case had the knee injury not happened I think it would have been a safe bet to say the TKO was coming.

Yeah I think so too. he noticeably slowed down after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

So realistically would it be a much better idea to have Conor vs Aldo in a smaller stadium ie the Aviva, which is still bloody massive with a 50,000 capacity. It would be an easier venue to showcase Ireland to the world as a venue for high profile MMA events and that in turn would encourage them to host future events there.

Plus it would be much easier logistically to organise.

Practically zero difference between a crowd of 60,000 and a crowd of 90,000 from a logistical point of view when you are talking about two stadiums.

Both stadiums have their own in-house logistical infrastructure to support a capacity crowd and beyond. And the event organisers (ie: the UFC) would have to hire/lease/set up pretty much the exact same amount of staging/seating/lighting etc in both stadiums.

Also why would it be easier to 'showcase' Ireland in a smaller stadium? What does that even mean? The UFC are (hopefully) coming here to put on an MMA show. Why the hell would they (the UFC) be concerned about 'showcasing' Ireland? God that term makes me cringe. The gathering was a few years ago.

The UFC have highly qualified event planning and management people with years of experience working for them. People who have been involved in some of the biggest sporting and entertainment events of all time. If they think they can sell out Croke Park, they will sell out Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Saipanne wrote: »
    Ah now, he does put on a little bit of an American accent when in the us. I'd say a 10% setting kicks in.

But slowing his speech makes sense.

Hate this sh1t....who cares. You can lose an accent in a week if you're musically inclined...

Would there be any issues with the residents around Croke Park with putting on a 3 + hour show late at night?

Hate this sh1t....who cares. You can lose an accent in a week if you're musically inclined...

Yeah, he's known for his musical talent, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Would there be any issues with the residents around Croke Park with putting on a 3 + hour show late at night?

Yea I would say there is a massive chance they will have issues with it. Isn't there some law against having events go on past 11pm anway?

• Advertisement

Standman wrote: »
    Yea I would say there is a massive chance they will have issues with it. Isn't there some law against having events go on past 11pm anway?

It's up to the same city manager that only gave Garth Brooks 3 nights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement