Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I watched the Jones Cormier fight the next morning. I didn't know the result because I didn't check twitter before I watched it. Only a fool would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Saipanne wrote: »
    I watched the Jones Cormier fight the next morning. I didn't know the result because I didn't check twitter before I watched it. Only a fool would do that.

Your average run of the mill guy who watches the ufc on fox wouldn't have ever had to do that. Do you think a tape delay in this situation is a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭threeball

John_D80 wrote: »
    Is this a wind-up? He is one of only 5 Irish athletes fighting in the UFC. of course he represents Ireland. Did Bernard Dunne or Barry McGuigan not represent our country when they got in the ring?? Or Stephen Roche in the saddle, or Sonia O'Sullivan on the track?

Just because your from a country doesn't give you carte blanche to claim to represent it. If you earn the backing of the majority of the irish people then you can claim it and mcgregor doesn't have anything close to that. If you think otherwise you need to take off the mma googles. People feel Katie Taylor represent this country well and are quite happy if she claims to do so (which she rarely does). The reality is, is that mcgregor is not well liked outside mma fans, hes not even close to being universally liked inside mma circles. Hes a very devisive figure, even moreso than the likes of roy keane.
    The people you mention above were very popular in this country with maybe Bernard dunne not as universally popular as the others. None of the above were particularly arrogant bar Dunne being a bit cocky so maybe theres a trend?

osl wrote: »
    Your average run of the mill guy who watches the ufc on fox wouldn't have ever had to do that. Do you think a tape delay in this situation is a good idea?

Not really. They can watch the ****ing fight at 1pm on a Saturday. If they are real fans, they'll somehow manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Tape delay is far from ideal. You can say "I watched X the next day" but big sporting events are supposed to be consumed live!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Tape delay is far from ideal. You can say "I watched X the next day" but big sporting events are supposed to be consumed live!

I disagree, although tape delay isn't ideal.

Yeah that's where I falter Threeball. I admire him for what he's done for himself and his family. And I'm sure Dana and crew LOVE him for the attention he's brought to UFC. Good or bad - its all attention. "Credit with RTE however is not what I seek. It is cash". I just cringed so badly when I read that.

One of my friends out here who is huge into MMA and boxing said that he had nothing on Katie Taylor. Especially from an attitude POV. It was so easy to admire\like him but now he seems hell bent to make it so hard to like him.

Is he fit to fill Croker or even the Aviva Staduim, regardless of planning, garda approval all of that? Do people simply care enough or given your 30:70 ratio would they show up hoping to see him get beat? Which would be very un-Irish to not support one of their own regardless of how arrogant he was.

Thats one of the reasons I don't see it selling. The Irish won't attend to cheer him on cos hes not that popular but they certainly wont attend to shout against him.
    lets put it this way. If there was an irish version of sports personality of the year where would he come. I doubt he'd come top 5 even with his international profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

threeball wrote: »
    Just because your from a country doesn't give you carte blanche to claim to represent it. If you earn the backing of the majority of the irish people then you can claim it and mcgregor doesn't have anything close to that. If you think otherwise you need to take off the mma googles. People feel Katie Taylor represent this country well and are quite happy if she claims to do so (which she rarely does). The reality is, is that mcgregor is not well liked outside mma fans, hes not even close to being universally liked inside mma circles. Hes a very devisive figure, even moreso than the likes of roy keane.
    The people you mention above were very popular in this country with maybe Bernard dunne not as universally popular as the others. None of the above were particularly arrogant bar Dunne being a bit cocky so maybe theres a trend?

Wait a sec, aren't you the same guy that said in another MMA thread, that 80% of the population of this country are involved in hurling either as players or spectators??

Lol, carry on chum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

This argument is pointless. Its going to be normal time and won't be at stupid o clock in the morning.

On the UFC on Fox v Numbered event, I doubt it'll be a UFC on Fox as there is one in April and they're not going to have one of the biggest events of the year on Fox. It'll probably be UFC 187 23rd of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

As did I but that only works for UFC IMO. It's difficult to ignore the more 'popular' European based sports.

• Advertisement

T-K-O wrote: »
    As did I but that only works for UFC IMO. It's difficult to ignore the more 'popular' European based sports.

Kind of. I mean, just avoid the internet until you get to see the recording. Avoiding conversation is impossible, though.

But for ufc, its simply a case of waking up and whipping on the video. As good as live.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I disagree, although tape delay isn't ideal.

You can disagree all you want but that's definitely only a personal thing for you. If you took the number of people who watch sport on tape delay as a percentage of all sports lovers, you'd find a very very small number.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You can disagree all you want but that's definitely only a personal thing for you. If you took the number of people who watch sport on tape delay as a percentage of all sports lovers, you'd find a very very small number.

I never backed the idea of tape delay, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

They should just do a super Saturday have two events in Ireland one in the US. Run from one into the other with a few hours break. Make it an all day sporting tv event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

After the last Dublin card Dana said most of the top fighters got onto him saying they wanted to fight in Dublin.......just think of the card we could end up getting :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Kind of. I mean, just avoid the internet until you get to see the recording. Avoiding conversation is impossible, though.

But for ufc, its simply a case of waking up and whipping on the video. As good as live.

Gone are the days of me staying up for UFC. I record and watch on Sunday morning, it's great! biggrin.png

However, Every time I try that with boxing or football it never works out so well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Thats one of the reasons I don't see it selling. The Irish won't attend to cheer him on cos hes not that popular but they certainly wont attend to shout against him.
    lets put it this way. If there was an irish version of sports personality of the year where would he come. I doubt he'd come top 5 even with his international profile.

I would be very surprised if he could fill a 90,000 stadium.

99% of people will back him, apart from a few odd people like yourself.

darced wrote: »
    Knee injury happened after 10 minutes of the fight as far as I recall,it didnt look like a finish was there at all.

I dunno. The reason they ended up on the ground leading to the injury was because McGregor knocked him down with a left. The commentators certainly felt it might be coming, but we'll never know.

• Advertisement

99% of people will back him, apart from a few odd people like yourself.

You wont get 99% of his street to back him never mind an entire country.

You wont get 99% of his street to back him never mind an entire country.

How do you explain the manic support he has received so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

McGregor has a serious following and not just in this country. If he fights Aldo here the card will be big and he will have people flying in to support him from everywhere. It also wouldn't be just him on the card so he wouldn't be solely selling out the stadium. The real problem will be the time the card is on here because I can't see the residents around Croke Park letting an event happen after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    Why are people thinking it has to be numbered, it will not be a PPV, it'll be an ON FOX event, they'll broadcast it on a 3/4hr tape delay on Fox, bringing Conor into millions of American households, his next fight after will def be a PPV, after ordinary joe soap has been reeled in
    Tbf, that's essentially the purpose of this boston card on Fox.
    The last boston card gave him exposure with the fans. This one is getting a main stream push with the other sports events that weekend and the ads.

Waking up abs whipping on the video works for us because we are ahead. But the sane doesn't apply going the opposite way.
    The event will be at 1pm Vegas time. Which means people in the US will have to try to avoid the result for the rest of the day. Expecting millions of people to do that is crazy.

It'll be shown live, neither is ideal but a daytime spirting event us easier to sell than a 5 or 6hr tape delay
    darced wrote: »
    Knee injury happened after 10 minutes of the fight as far as I recall,it didnt look like a finish was there at all.
    Start if the second round I think.
    He may or may not got the finish. Holloway has since then shown he's legit and deserved more credit at the time considering how Connor has risen since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My birthday is May 24th.

Make it happen Dana and Uncle Frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I suggest you go back and watch the fight again. It did not happen after 10mins that would be almost between rounds.

The ground sequence in which he was injured was started by a knock down by Conor. If you look at the state of Holloway's face also you can tell how much damage he took in the minutes prior to the injury.

Anyway it didn't happen so no use me arguing "it would have" .... but it would have :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

DrPhilG wrote: »
    My birthday is May 24th.

Make it happen Dana and Uncle Frank.

Have planted the seed with the OH about getting me tickets for my birthday if this does happen.

Is it likely to be an almighty ****storm to get tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

I think a UFC event with Aldo and McGregor headlining and a strong undercard could def sell out 90,000 seats in Croker - its not just the Irish following bu a massive amount of people would fly in from Europe and even the states for the event! After the Brandao fight the amount of people on twitter and forums etc saying that they would def fly in for the next Irish event was unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

The latest time the fight will be allowed to go on to will be 10/10.30, so the timing will have to be worked around that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If it does go ahead and if there were 80-90000 tickets on sale, would the sheer number of tickets available make it pretty easy to get tickets?

It would be a huge boost for the city as a massive number of people would be flying in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement