Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Goddard is a decent ref doesn't get as much credit as Big John or Herb Dean IMO. Herb has made some poor calls recently actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Id vote for goddard being the best ref also. Herb has made some real howlers this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah, Goddard is only not considered "the best in the business" because he hasn't been around as long as Herb Dean and Big John. I also like Dan Miragliotta.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

He seemed a bit more real in that video, especially at the end when he was laughing and talking about living the dream. I prefer when he eases up on the arrogance and acts himself. I think he's a decent guy underneath it all.

Conor is a decent guy, anyone who knows him know he is down to earth when ya have a chat with him, He's simply playing the game and it can't be denied it's working for him

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah, Goddard is only not considered "the best in the business" because he hasn't been around as long as Herb Dean and Big John. I also like Dan Miragliotta.
    YfyawID.gif

This Dan Miragliotta? :

miragliotta_winnerfail.gif

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

LOL!!!!!

Sorry, I was thinking of "Smoking" Josh Rosenthal, not Dan M!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I actually attended an MMA Refereeing/Judging seminar the next day with Marc, right after he'd reffed that fight. I'd rewatched the fight as soon as I'd come home, because I wanted to have a closer look and see if he might have let it go when he might have stopped. I thought it was a good decision then and how he explained it - and after the context of learning how to apply the rules down to a tee - the following day just compounded it for me! If the fighter is still fighting, engaging, you have to give him/her a chance. You see it in their body language that they aren't fighting back. Sometimes you see refs give guys a bit too long when they're just shelling up, taking shots.

He's the best in the business at the moment for me. I've seen Herb do some silly things of late, but I still think he's up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Cathal said he was the best in the business too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Easy Rod wrote: »
    YfyawID.gif

This Dan Miragliotta? :

miragliotta_winnerfail.gif

:pac:

It's funny that you put that Rogan gif in, they HATE each other with a passion, have done for years (Rogan & Dan), some of the things i've heard them call each other are crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

scudzilla wrote: »
    It's funny that you put that Rogan gif in, they HATE each other with a passion, have done for years (Rogan & Dan), some of the things i've heard them call each other are crazy

I'd like to hear about this, can you shed some light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

weemcd wrote: »
    I'd like to hear about this, can you shed some light?

Not really, i'm a good friend of Dan's, he's told me some mad **** but that's between us, it is common knowledge though that they don't get on....at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Anyone know what time our time Conors fight is at this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

nm wrote: »
    Anyone know what time our time Conors fight is at this weekend?

No set time but should be between 3.30am and 4.30 am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Anyone know if somewhere in Dublin city centre will be showing it? It's so late that it may not be on anywhere. I'd imagine Sin may try to show it, but I don't fancy going all the way to to temple bar. If The Living Room were showing it, that would be pretty sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

moneyman wrote: »
    Anyone know if somewhere in Dublin city centre will be showing it? It's so late that it may not be on anywhere. I'd imagine Sin may try to show it, but I don't fancy going all the way to to temple bar. If The Living Room were showing it, that would be pretty sweet.

Nobody will be showing it unless there having a lock in, itl be on wayyyy past most places late licenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

moneyman wrote: »

Harry's on the Green and The Living Room are showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Dustin came across well, likeable fella

Conor, still trying to decide if the camera is Conors enemy or friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭warehouse1

is there anywhere in limerick showing the fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Interesting. Could well be Cub Swanson he's fighting. Conor's title shot is looking a little more realistic if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dave1982 wrote: »
    Dustin came across well, likeable fella

Can't put my finger on it but I just don't like him. Even watching the documentary they did on him a few years back (FightTown ???), I just couldn't warm to him.

That said, I love to watch his fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Fightville was the documentary. I think Poirier comes across very well in that documentary and I wish him the best in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

FTA69 wrote: »
    Fightville was the documentary. I think Poirier comes across very well in that documentary and I wish him the best in future.

Great documentary – he comes across very likable in it. Poirier seems to be very hard working and dedicated. He trains hard.

The only reason I am cheering for Conor is because he is Irish and I would like to see the Irish rise to the top in any sport. With Conor I don’t think all the thrash talk is sincere – I don’t think its the real him.

Saying that I think Conor has more natural ability and will win within the 1st round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2206806-conor-mcgregor-vs-dustin-poirier-a-full-head-to-toe-breakdown

What do people here think of this? It's giving the wrestling and submission advantage to Poirier. I don't like how the guy references the Duffy loss though, that was a completely different fighter. This guy obviously doesn't buy into the McGregor hype, I think he goes too far in the other direction though.

I would say that Poirier has a definite advantage in jiu jitsu though, in fightville you see him submit a black belt, and he's obviously come on a lot since then. I just don't think he will be able to physically dominate Conor in order to apply these skills. Conor's athleticism will allow him to dictate where the fight goes, and I think a stoppage late in the first or early in the second will be the result.

Also, with the wrestling thing: I don't believe Poirier has any real wrestling pedigree to speak of, while Conor trains with Pendred and Nelson, both of whom are very good wrestlers, so I'd have them even steven here, if not advantage Conor taking into account what I believe is his greatly superior strength and conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

It's a bit insulting towards McGregor's ground game alright. Considering McGregor has come off the better in nearly all his groundfighting exchanges in the UFC so far, including against Brandao who's a black belt, the "if a guy like Jospeh Duffy can do it, anyone can!" is a bit of a stupid statement. The analysis put forward by that writer is on a par with a sherdog thread poster rather than an MMA journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

That being said, Dustin's ground game is legit. I do think he might have an advantage in wrestling technically, but will be nullified by Conor's footwork and overall athleticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm not the most knowledgeable about MMA but it seems to me that article is hastily cobbled-together and badly thought out. First of all Poirier is not "more of a boxer" than McGregor, that's nonsense; McGregor was a competitive amateur boxer who medalled nationally, Poirier never competed in boxing at all as far as I know. Despite Conor's flashy kicking, the core of his striking game remains landing his left hand and setting himself up to do so. He's a far more rounded and versatile striker than Dustin.

Secondly, on the Duffy fight, you'd want to be an eejit to still think that relevant. Bernard Hopkins lost his first pro fight to a nobody, does that mean he's vulnerable years later? Does it f*ck. Fighters evolve constantly and in MMA that process happens at a far quicker pace as people work on the different aspects of their game.

It's just a sh*t article to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,062 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah pretty poor article.
    Looks like his first point of reference was both fighters wiki page.
    Then he sees a few spin kicks, and decides that's his game. Oblivious to footwork, head movement and subtles of his dominant outstretched guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Make no mistake Conor could be in big trouble if it goes to the ground, Dustin's submitted some legit guys. On his wrestling, people say that he trains Nelson and Pendred but that doesn't guarantee him good wrestling, plus Poirier trains with Lentz who's one of the best wrestlers in the division and a more realistic idea of what he's going to come up against on fight day size-wise if that's the route we're going down. People mention Holloway but he was more than happy to strike with him, admittedly I was very impressed with how he dealt with Brandao's aggressive approach. In reality we still know little about Conor's wrestling and ground game from the UFC at least. He's fought 3 strikers and spent the majority of that time standing. That article is dreadful though, like most of Bleacher Report.

That said I think Conor will win. I wouldn't be too worried about him being taken down, more so what he does if he is taken down. Poirier is very good on the ground but I don't think he had the wrestling to get him down there enough, if he does I'll be worried though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2206806-conor-mcgregor-vs-dustin-poirier-a-full-head-to-toe-breakdown

What do people here think of this? It's giving the wrestling and submission advantage to Poirier. I don't like how the guy references the Duffy loss though, that was a completely different fighter. This guy obviously doesn't buy into the McGregor hype, I think he goes too far in the other direction though.

I would say that Poirier has a definite advantage in jiu jitsu though, in fightville you see him submit a black belt, and he's obviously come on a lot since then. I just don't think he will be able to physically dominate Conor in order to apply these skills. Conor's athleticism will allow him to dictate where the fight goes, and I think a stoppage late in the first or early in the second will be the result.

Also, with the wrestling thing: I don't believe Poirier has any real wrestling pedigree to speak of, while Conor trains with Pendred and Nelson, both of whom are very good wrestlers, so I'd have them even steven here, if not advantage Conor taking into account what I believe is his greatly superior strength and conditioning.

What a load of crap that article is, im not even going to get into it but iv read some terrible stuff on bleacher report but that takes the biscuit. Screams of uneducated and bias towards DP. Really disrespectful to Joe Duffy aswell. Shocking article.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement