Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Jack Slack and Lawrence Kenshin have some good articles about McGregor (and other fighters too).

About his head movement though, it's very minimal and he just slips straight shots. He doesn't mess around in the pocket (which is very good IMO - you don't wanna mess around there for too long in MMA).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah pretty poor article.
    Looks like his first point of reference was both fighters wiki page.
    Then he sees a few spin kicks, and decides that's his game. Oblivious to footwork, head movement and subtles of his dominant outstretched guard.

One thing I picked up with that is how he smothers his opponent's jab with that sort of guard before banging with his left. (Guillermo Rigondeaux does the same) That's definitely something going to give Poirier problems from a striking point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,120 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FTA69 wrote: »
    One thing I picked up with that is how he smothers his opponent's jab with that sort of guard before banging with his left. (Guillermo Rigondeaux does the same) That's definitely something going to give Poirier problems from a striking point of view.

That's exactly what I was getting at.
    His jab hand completely dominates the "hand fight", often if the other guy steps and times around it's because he was allowed to and he presses forward into a waiting counter.

Mellor wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was getting at.
    His jab hand completely dominates the "hand fight", often if the other guy steps and times around it's because he was slowed to and he presses forward into a waiting counter.

Isn't Poirier a southpaw too though? Handfighting is more prominent in a southpaw vs orthodox matchup I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Gumbi wrote: »
    Isn't Poirier a southpaw too though? Handfighting is more prominent in a southpaw vs orthodox matchup I think?

Yep, turns out he is. I'm talking sh*te again! (Think I'll stick to the boxing) :D

Handfighting won't be an issue in this fight if Poirier keeps his stance, I still think McGregor is a better striker though, he's certainly a better boxer.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    Yep, turns out he is. I'm talking sh*te again! (Think I'll stick to the boxing) :D

Handfighting won't be an issue in this fight if Poirier keeps his stance, I still think McGregor is a better striker though, he's certainly a better boxer.

McGregor has evolved to be much more than a boxer in recent fights which is the scary thing. He has a lethal straight left, a great lead uppercut straight left, but he also a massive variety of kicks to choose from (the spinning kick was what really ended the Brandao fight IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

His feet are getting to be like his hands. His transitions between ranges of combat are so smooth, it's frightening, well, for Poirer. You're all in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

ASOT wrote: »
    What a load of crap that article is, im not even going to get into it but iv read some terrible stuff on bleacher report but that takes the biscuit. Screams of uneducated and bias towards DP. Really disrespectful to Joe Duffy aswell. Shocking article.

Agreed, I stopped reading at little know Irish Wrestling, someone should tell this guy about a fighter named GSP.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Great documentary – he comes across very likable in it. Poirier seems to be very hard working and dedicated. He trains hard.

The only reason I am cheering for Conor is because he is Irish and I would like to see the Irish rise to the top in any sport. With Conor I don’t think all the thrash talk is sincere – I don’t think its the real him.

Saying that I think Conor has more natural ability and will win within the 1st round.

Couldn't agree more, I don't know how anyone could watch Fightville and not respect Dustin, he's a hard working dedicated fighter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

Richy06 wrote: »
    His feet are getting to be like his hands. His transitions between ranges of combat are so smooth, it's frightening, well, for Poirer. You're all in for a treat.

Do you not get sick of being a conor fanboy? its embarassing any topic on an sbg fighter and your on this like a proud mammy give it a break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

blackbelt1 wrote: »
    Do you not get sick of being a conor fanboy? its embarassing any topic on an sbg fighter and your on this like a proud mammy give it a break.

You seem fairly knowledgeable about his post history despite only joining boards this month and this being your second post....setting up a new account just to mug someone off?? Weak :o

Ah grow up. McGregor is talented whether you like it or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    You seem fairly knowledgeable about his post history despite only joining boards this month and this being your second post....setting up a new account just to mug someone off?? Weak :o

Long time lurker, the ''treat'' comment just annoyed me to be honest,

JK and CMcG have gone hollywood and are no doubt looking past Dustin which is a huge mistake,and talking about trips to brazil is very premature.

Their like a pair of school girls in the media going about having a private suite in vegas its embarassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I take it ufc put them up in that room and are flying them to Brazil, they're hardly gonna tell dana to feck off. Also bursting their arses in the gym everyday and they are finally being rewarded on a big and public stage, of course they're gonna enjoy it. Who knows how long it will last so enjoy lads ye lucky bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

blackbelt1 has been given a couple days off to read the charter. If you're going to make it your first post in the forum try to make it one that isn't an abusive one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

conor_zps37df122b.jpg

640px-Facepalm_zps6f2ce39a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The closer this gets the less disappointed I am that the Jones fight was cancelled and the more excited I am to cheer on Conor!

So much so i'm thinking about bringing a tri-colour to Vegas and being partisan as f*ck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

First post on boards!

Watched that documentary setanta last night, was disappointed at conor saying he is doing all this for the money and thats all

I understand a bit where he is coming from but I would have likes to hear him say he is doing it because he loves the sport and its a dream.

Still want to see him be champion.
    Seems money obsessed.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    First post on boards!

Watched that documentary setanta last night, was disappointed at conor saying he is doing all this for the money and thats all

I understand a bit where he is coming from but I would have likes to hear him say he is doing it because he loves the sport and its a dream.

Still want to see him be champion.
    Seems money obsessed.

You probably misunderstood him. Human movement is his passion, as he would put it, and he absolutely loves MMA as it's the purest form of unarmed combat (again, as he puts it).

He was most likely referring to the prize fighting aspect of it. Risking serious injury, most people are only ever in it for the money, let's be honest.

You probably misunderstood him. Human movement is his passion, as he would put it, and he absolutely loves MMA as it's the purest form of unarmed combat (again, as he puts it).

He was most likely referring to the prize fighting aspect of it. Risking serious injury, most people are only ever in it for the money, let's be honest.

Ah I know but he was saying how he dropped out of training etc but got a call about signing the contract with ufc and all he seen was the money and he hasn't looked back.

Just him saying its all about the money for him changes of view a bit of him.

Still really hope he does well.

• Advertisement

Ah I know but he was saying how he dropped out of training etc but got a call about signing the contract with ufc and all he seen was the money and he hasn't looked back.

Just him saying its all about the money for him changes of view a bit of him.

Still really hope he does well.

I'm sorry to say man, but it's always about the money. Risking brain damage is not something people do for free.

I'm sorry to say man, but it's always about the money. Risking brain damage is not something people do for free.

True but some of the ufc fighters you feel really are passionate about becoming number one, it means more than money.

Maybe I'm wrong.

True but some of the ufc fighters you feel really are passionate about becoming number one, it means more than money.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Of course, McGregor wants to the best, it's not just about the money for him (though it's a large motivator).

Maybe I'm wrong.

IMO, you cannot reach the top of any Sport if money is the #1 motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Im after hearing that his fight is to be shown on rte that cant be right surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

T-K-O wrote: »
    IMO, you cannot reach the top of any Sport if money is the #1 motivator.

not so sure, just look at Mayweather - don't tell me he ain't money focused.

Conor is focused on the belt, he always says it, the $$ is important especially when you are young and have been on the scratcher with not a huge amount of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If you're good at something, don't do it for free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

anybody who's been watching him in interviews and has seen him train and talk about fighting can see a mile away that money is not his only concern... he's 100% passionately committed to improving as a fighter in any and every way and is as he says obsessed with movement and taking inspiration from any and every source as is the SBG way as far as I can tell... to use what works and forget the rest.... nobody in any field talks about their thing the way Conor does and is solely focused on the money. I'd say he just sees it as one complete thing - the risk the reward the lights the fame the notoriety. It's all a game and he's seemingly very good at every apsect of it and as so many say more power to him for committing to the whole game getting himself paid as much as possible holding nothing back and enjoying every second of it with a clear goal of becomming champion as anybody at that level should have IMO. Only a lucky and talented few get it all and it takes a total approach to it as GSP has had for so many years, in a different way to Conor. It really is a case of haters gona hate with Conor. After Poirer lies face down on Sunday morning a lot of people gona shut up and stand up and clap and get on board with our most exciting Irish sportperson. His attitude and commitment to what he does is positive and infecitous and should be something Ireland should be proud of.

not so sure, just look at Mayweather - don't tell me he ain't money focused.

Conor is focused on the belt, he always says it, the $$ is important especially when you are young and have been on the scratcher with not a huge amount of options.

The whole money mayweather thing is fairly recent stick. If Floyd had that attitude from the start without the desire he would be working the car wash.

Fighting is different to other sports as the onus is on the individual to earn and retire in good health, of course getting paid is huge but I still believe (for the most part) you need to want something more than cash to reach the very top of a given sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

First thing's first - *you're

Do I get sick of saying positive things about my team mates? Nope.
    Does it make the things I'm saying about them any less true? Nope.

The reason I made my previous comment is because I see the improvements, day on day, week on week that these guys make. Not just from fight to fight like most others. Just trying to give a bit of insight from someone who's been around there - be it training or coaching - for the past 5 years.

Of course your own rational, learned input thus far, which seems to be like the many who irrationally hate on Conor and want to just tell us all how s**t he is, when the evidence we've been presented with thus far would prove otherwise, has been absolutley stellar.

You seem to think, nay, KNOW that Conor and John are looking past Dustin, not even bothered with him. May I have your machine by which you look into people's minds? I think I can make some money with it.

A trip to Brazil by the UFC? A private villa? Would you tell your boss - "nah man, it's cool, we'll pay for it ourselves."? No. And if you would, I will call you an idiot, sir.

Bit of a step up from some kip in Portlaoise or something, after years of striving to hit the big shows, I think they can afford to enjoy it and chill out for the week in between media obligations and some training.

Finally, if anyone thinks it's money that motivates and only that? Well, in prize fighting, the best thing you can do is get in, make as much money as you can without getting hurt and then get out. Martial arts, what Conor truly loves and is driven by, is a lifetime pursuit. Prize fighting has a very short shelf life. Both a big motivators for him, just as they are for many of us.

*drops mic*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement