Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

FTA69 wrote: »
    Yep, turns out he is. I'm talking sh*te again! (Think I'll stick to the boxing) :D

Handfighting won't be an issue in this fight if Poirier keeps his stance, I still think McGregor is a better striker though, he's certainly a better boxer.

I hadn't realised Poirier was a southpaw until i read this. Worried me a bit. I've often thought that a lot of Conor's effectiveness is based on him being a tricky southpaw counter-puncher. In the past he's certainly made the most of orthodox fighters struggling to cope with his straight left. That is definitely less of a problem for another southpaw.

But then, Marcus Brimage was a southpaw and we all remember how that one turned out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

anybody who's been watching him in interviews and has seen him train and talk about fighting can see a mile away that money is not his only concern... he's 100% passionately committed to improving as a fighter in any and every way and is as he says obsessed with movement and taking inspiration from any and every source as is the SBG way as far as I can tell... to use what works and forget the rest.... nobody in any field talks about their thing the way Conor does and is solely focused on the money. I'd say he just sees it as one complete thing - the risk the reward the lights the fame the notoriety. It's all a game and he's seemingly very good at every apsect of it and as so many say more power to him for committing to the whole game getting himself paid as much as possible holding nothing back and enjoying every second of it with a clear goal of becomming champion as anybody at that level should have IMO. Only a lucky and talented few get it all and it takes a total approach to it as GSP has had for so many years, in a different way to Conor. It really is a case of haters gona hate with Conor. After Poirer lies face down on Sunday morning a lot of people gona shut up and stand up and clap and get on board with our most exciting Irish sportperson. His attitude and commitment to what he does is positive and infecitous and should be something Ireland should be proud of.

I am 100% behind conor, really want him to do well, I think he is doing Ireland and Irish mma proud.

Leave the haters to their bitter comments on whatever site, I'm sure conor isn't that bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

That embedded episode was hilarious, 'jesus loves knock outs' and conors speech on rituals was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

That Setanta interview. I got the impression Conor didnt really like the interviewer, it was as if he was vexed throughout or something. Think he may have soul read the interviewer guy who was probably just doing another interview and has no love of mma. But the body language both ways especially from Conor didnt seem good. You can usually see Conor warm to an interviewer and if they are a newbie he tries to educate them but not with this guy. He was probably just rushed having to do another extended interview.

Anyway hope Conor dispatches pea head in style come the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

califano wrote: »
    That Setanta interview. I got the impression Conor didnt really like the interviewer, it was as if he was vexed throughout or something. Think he may have soul read the interviewer guy who was probably just doing another interview and has no love of mma. But the body language both ways especially from Conor didnt seem good. You can usually see Conor warm to an interviewer and if they are a newbie he tries to educate them but not with this guy. He was probably just rushed having to do another extended interview.

Anyway hope Conor dispatches pea head in style come the time.

Fergus and Conor would have known each other for years. I thought the exact opposite - I thought Conor was relaxed and comfortable in the interview and dropped a lot of his "act" and spoke honestly and passionately about his sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Roar wrote: »
    Fergus and Conor would have known each other for years. I thought the exact opposite - I thought Conor was relaxed and comfortable in the interview and dropped a lot of his "act" and spoke honestly and passionately about his sport.

Wouldnt have known Fergus knew Conor. Maybe this is it so and i misread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,153 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

califano wrote: »
    Wouldnt have known Fergus knew Conor. Maybe this is it so and i misread.
    He mentioned in this article that he first interviewed him over two years ago. And you can tell from his tone that it's positive relationship.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/conor-mcgregor-taking-the-freight-train-straight-to-the-top/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

has anyone heard anything about McGregor having an injured hand?

Dave Meltzer reported it in the latest issue of the Wrestling Observer saying that the story has been reported in Ireland. I just read back a few pages of this thread and didn't see it mentioned either. According to the report, his hand has been all wrapped up lately but it hasn't been acknowledged by anyone publicly.

UPDATE: so it appears to be a bit of a rumour about an injured thumb/hand. Apparently the wrapped hand can be seen in the latest episode of UFC Embedded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

iambrazil wrote: »
    has anyone heard anything about McGregor having an injured hand?

Dave Meltzer reported it in the latest issue of the Wrestling Observer saying that the story has been reported in Ireland. I just read back a few pages of this thread and didn't see it mentioned either. According to the report, his hand has been all wrapped up lately but it hasn't been acknowledged by anyone publicly.

UPDATE: so it appears to be a bit of a rumour about an injured thumb/hand. Apparently the wrapped hand can be seen in the latest episode of UFC Embedded.

Someone mentioned it here they seen it in a documentary.

Hope its not serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭xtal191

I think it was wrapped up in the first episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Yea it was wrapped in Ep1, i'm sure if it was an issue it would have been highlighted by now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Often fighters reveal after a fight that they had pretty major injuries in the run-up. No way would they mention it beforehand, it gives the opponent something to aim at, and could affect their medical clearance to fight. This could be a serious enough wrist/hand injury. Hopefully not though.

Either way, we won't hear about it until after Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Wouldn't be overly concerned with the wrapped hand in the first UFC video. They were well aware of the camera's presence and if it was a big issue, they would have hidden it.

Besides, he fought Brimage 3 days after a wisdom tooth operation and on a strong course of antibiotics. Then he went two rounds with Holloway on a torn ACL...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

T-K-O wrote: »

Two days after the fight is fairly pointless, its good for the sport here all the same though!!

ASOT wrote: »
    Two days after the fight is fairly pointless, its good for the sport here all the same though!!

Fans aint going to wait around but that's a great deal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm looking forward to watching it a decent hour, it's going to be tough keeping it unspoiled though!

I'm looking forward to watching it a decent hour, it's going to be tough keeping it unspoiled though!

I'm going to watch the next day but Monday, that's pushing your luck, win lose or draw the press will be all over it.

Exactly theres no way youd make it until Monday without hearing who won, word of both alone will be enormous id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

whats the best way to watch the fight at home? can i pay for a 24 sub scription through last pass or something, would love to watch it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I guess if it's a really impressive win that has a buzz about it, it'll rate well even though it's not live. People who are casuals will be intrigued to see him, win or lose. Hardcore fans, if they're sitting in that night will most likely stick it on. Might not hit the heights of the previous show but should do ok, I believe. We'll have the Sweden card too. Maybe a deal can be struck to get that a lil sooner. Either way, from a sport that wasn't even in the news a year or so ago to being on free to air TV with a national broadcaster? A huge step! You don't even have that in the UK. Other content, like the countdown shows and others will be on there going forward.

Richy06 wrote: »
    I guess if it's a really impressive win that has a buzz about it, it'll rate well even though it's not live. People who are casuals will be intrigued to see him, win or lose. Hardcore fans, if they're sitting in that night will most likely stick it on. Might not hit the heights of the previous show but should do ok, I believe. We'll have the Sweden card too. Maybe a deal can be struck to get that a lil sooner. Either way, from a sport that wasn't even in the news a year or so ago to being on free to air TV with a national broadcaster? You don't even have in the UK. Other content, like the countdown shows and others will be on there going forward.

Exactly thats the positives to come from it, the exposure will be massive. I for one am delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

prodigy1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, but I think (not sure) that if you order Setanta its agreed over a yearly subscription and if you cancel at any stage it states that there is a fee (which is not on upc website)
    Also, i found a link and just wanted to confirm that this would work or would I have to buy something else like you said..check it out here .ufc.tv/video/johnson-vs-cariaso
    would that work ??
    Thanks for the help

Guys, just to confirm. Will this work for sat night? its 18 euro.

http://www.ufc.tv/video/johnson-vs-cariaso

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

zweton wrote: »
    Guys, just to confirm. Will this work for sat night? its 18 euro.

http://www.ufc.tv/video/johnson-vs-cariaso

For 18Euro just subscribe to BT Sports for a month (around 16), you'll get other UFC events for that too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

T-K-O wrote: »
    I'm going to watch the next day but Monday, that's pushing your luck, win lose or draw the press will be all over it.
    I think I can manage it, I'm out in the countryside on holiday with crap internet so I think I have a decent chance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

The amount of people complaining about this video is hilarious

ASOT wrote: »
    The amount of people complaining about this video is hilarious

This Youtube comment cracked me up

'look i know connor will win but ****! UFC NO HESPECT NOBODY... THEY NO HESPECT DUSTIN THEY NO HESPECT NOTHING.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,153 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sitting here trying to figure out why the weigh in stream is an hour late. Then I remember it's not until tomorrow, last weeks event was a day earlier.
    Guess I'll just wait then

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement