Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

gallag wrote: »
    with advertisements?

Ah i see but it isn't a 3 hr documentary, those ads have nothing to do with us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

darced wrote: »

three hour self licking :D

Joking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Quick question lads - I'm living in Gibraltar and we're one hour ahead of Ireland. Looking to catch this fight next Saturday night, what time do you expect it to be on Irish time?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Conors fight would be around 3:45/4 am id say!

• Advertisement

Ouch...

roryc wrote: »
    Ouch...

Yeah its a Vegas card, so main card fights starting at 3am here, would be touching 4 before he got in id say if hes the third last fight. Main event nearing 5. Long night ahead for you, im in the airport at around 7am so i wont be sleeping by the looks of things.

I'm at a house party that night and the idea was to drum up interest for the fight during the night. I'm the only Irish lad in attendance! Hopefully it'll still be going strong at 5am and we'll all be drunkenly cheering Conor to victory...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Poirier is 9/4 to win in some bookies, is this worth a punt do ye think? They seem pretty stretched odds for opponents who are supposed to be evenly matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

The odds on Poirier are a big mad alright. Poirier by Sub at 13/2 looks very good, I'll probably stick a 5er on it. I fancy Conor but it'll be close and if the fight goes to the ground he could be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I was impressed by Conor's ability to smother Brandao on top in his last fight. I really don't think we should worry about his ground game even vs Poirier. But being honest I see McGregor winning it on the feet in an impressive fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭prodigy1

Hi there, could anyone out there tell me the best way to get the fight? I have UPC but I would have to sign up to Setanta Sports package for a year.. Is there any other way to get it in?? I heard about fight pass thing, but that is through the internet, would that stream right etc?
    Thanks in advance of any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

prodigy1 wrote: »
    Hi there, could anyone out there tell me the best way to get the fight? I have UPC but I would have to sign up to Setanta Sports package for a year.. Is there any other way to get it in?? I heard about fight pass thing, but that is through the internet, would that stream right etc?

No it won't be on fight pass unfortunately. I think 3e will repeat it over the week but to watch it live, your only legal option is BT sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

prodigy1 wrote: »

I think you can sign up to Setanta for a month on UPC I think around €16? you can't avail of the 1euro trial deal thats goin on at the moment though.

Fight Pass is online yeah can and would stream well provided on your computer performance along with your broadband if you choose this service though that particular card is a pay-per-view so along with the sign up fee would still have to pay for the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭prodigy1

Thanks for the reply, but I think (not sure) that if you order Setanta its agreed over a yearly subscription and if you cancel at any stage it states that there is a fee (which is not on upc website)
    Also, i found a link and just wanted to confirm that this would work or would I have to buy something else like you said..check it out here .ufc.tv/video/johnson-vs-cariaso
    would that work ??
    Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 29,580 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Conor told inside mma that ufc are flying him to Brazil for the aldo mendez fight. In other words they fully expect him to beat dustin and get him involved in the title contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭xtal191

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Conor told inside mma that ufc are flying him to Brazil for the aldo mendez fight. In other words they fully expect him to beat dustin and get him involved in the title contention.

Any link to the interview?

Found it

I think it's too soon but I wouldn't be that surprised. Let's say Conor and Aldo win, that leaves us looking for Aldo's next challenger. Mendes is obviously out of the equation having lost again, while the other two main contenders Edgar and Swanson are looking like they'll be fighting in late 2014/early 2015 which leaves them out of action for a while. I think he should be 2+ fights from the title but Dana knows that it would sell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAuDcjHPWGw Here's the link btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭xtal191

Doubt it means anything to be honest, sure Cub was flown out to the UFC here.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if he goes out and KOs Dustin in the first then gets a shot, his stock will be so high after it. What would sell more McGregor v Mendes/Aldo or Swanson v Mendes/Aldo? People have skipped the cue many a times. Id rather Conor faced some sort of wrestler before he gets a shot because i think Mendes will beat Aldo & Mendes would styalistically be a way tougher fight for Conor imo. But then i have a dilemma of having to watch two of my favourite fighters right :pac:

Well if Mendes wins then there's no title for Conor any time soon, I'd say Aldo is guaranteed a rematch even though they've fought before. He's P4P #2 and he's already beaten pretty much everyone in the featherweight division. I think Aldo will win though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,580 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

He seemed a bit more real in that video, especially at the end when he was laughing and talking about living the dream. I prefer when he eases up on the arrogance and acts himself. I think he's a decent guy underneath it all.

Was watching old events tonight and decided to watch UFC Dublin again, man how good was Conors entrance? Still get shivers of that night watching it back. Glad i ended up going to it in the end it was a super event what an atmosphere. Really pumped for Saturday now.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21rw64_rec5013_travel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

ASOT wrote: »
    Was watching old events tonight and decided to watch UFC Dublin again, man how good was Conors entrance? Still get shivers of that night watching it back. Glad i ended up going to it in the end it was a super event what an atmosphere. Really pumped for Saturday now.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21rw64_rec5013_travel

The crowd during Seery's fight was absolutely mental too. It was a very good night to be an Irish MMA fan and you get the feeling that there are many more to come.

The UFC brass would be crazy not to hold annual events here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I know it was McGregors night and a great night for SBG and Gunni and Seery and all that but if you ask me in 10 years what I remember from that night having been there it has to be Cathal's pure warrior comeback against drug fueled Mike King. I mean I lost my voice shouting like a mad man and there was this first time mma dude beside me who I guarantee has now become a die hard mma fan literally because Pendred made it out of that first round. It was an extraordinary experience to see somebody defy odds like that and weather such a beating and not give up... truly fking inspiring. Big Thanks t Pendred for that experience. It went way beyond money and sport.. it was primal inate courage and anyone stepping in against him from now on will look at that tape and think 'jesus what do I have to do to take him out... '
    You gotta pin point knock him out which is almost impossible or you're there for the 3 rounds and he'll eat your soul rather than give you a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I can't be the only one who isn't a fan of those stories? Sure I admire heart but I much prefer seeing technique prevail. Pendred went out brawling and got caught just like he did in his TUF fights.

I wish Seery got more exposure, because he put two cracking fights on when he fought and showed some good boxing, but being as reserved as he is he hasn't got as much attention.

Gumbi wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who isn't a fan of those stories? Sure I admire heart but I much prefer seeing technique prevail. Pendred went out brawling and got caught just like he did in his TUF fights.

I wish Seery got more exposure, because he put two cracking fights on when he fought and showed some good boxing, but being as reserved as he is he hasn't got as much attention.

Yeah i agree, i think Pendred will be caught out against a decent striker because of that. I said it before and people didnt agree but imo iv seen fights stopped for way less Pendred got away with it but came back very strong. Mike King was no world beater and managed to catch him fairly easy. It was a nasty sub to win it though il give that to Pendred!

Seery put on a serious show again, im surprised another fight for him hasnt been announced yet, if i was him id be ringing sean shelby everyday. Paddy also put on a cracking fight after getting his shot, really looking forward to his next fight in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

If the fight had been stopped, whilst Cathal was still engaging and fighting and not turning into a defensive shell, it would have been a poor stoppage. It was actually a great refereeing decision IMO. He may have gotten tagged a couple times, but was never finished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement