Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

martyos121 wrote: »
    Mghty Mouse for me. Not in a division full of killers like Conor but every part of his game is world class, wherever the fight goes against anyone he's got the advantage. He's the most complete mixed martial artist in the sport right now, closely followed by Jon Jones. Just my opinion, I'm sure many would disagree.

His last 3 fights - Dodson,Horuguchi and Carioso,Bones last 3 fights DC,Gus and Glover

There is no comparison Jones is levels ahead of him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

newbbieb wrote: »
    It depends what people like GSP won how many fights over a long period some of that was layed up with injury Conor is a far more active fighter.Also BJ is the only other fighter to take the risk of moving up for the champ v champ fights.

Jones and GSP have more impressive resumes than Conor but they both avoided the moves up Jones looks like he will eventually but GSP avoided Silva superfight,i think win or lose here Conor has etched his name with the greats for simply taking the fight that so many other champs avoided,its one of the reasons BJ is so revered he never was afraid to take the risks.

So moving up to take a title fight balances out that the other 2 guys cleared out their divisions numerous times in a dominant fashion? Don't get me wrong it's ballsy, fair play to Conor but he isn't on their level yet nor will he be if he fights RDA. He hasn't even defended his belt yet. Beating RDA would be a step in the right direction, massive task though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

It depends what people like GSP won how many fights over a long period some of that was layed up with injury Conor is a far more active fighter.Also BJ is the only other fighter to take the risk of moving up for the champ v champ fights.

Jones and GSP have more impressive resumes than Conor but they both avoided the moves up Jones looks like he will eventually but GSP avoided Silva superfight,i think win or lose here Conor has etched his name with the greats for simply taking the fight that so many other champs avoided,its one of the reasons BJ is so revered he never was afraid to take the risks.

Tbf to GSP, and Jones to a lesser extent, Conor is a natural 155er so him 'moving up' isn't exactly difficult. GSP is only 5'10 and already at his largest while he's fighting at 170 imo. I know he's a huge guy for his size, but there is only so much muscle mass your body can have before it becomes a hindrance and messes with your cardio. Jones looks huge, but his legs are so skinny, unless he bulks up significantly (which going by his instagram he is trying to do) he couldn't fight at 230+.

If BJ had stayed at 155 his legacy would be a lot more intact. Sure you can say it's honourable, but as far as I'm concerned it was stupid. Just like if Conor moves up to WW it would be stupid imo. Weight classes exist for a reason. If the lower weight fighter can't comfortably make the weight, then it should be catchweight. Obviously this means no titles.

Conor cleared it out coming up by beating mendes dustin and holloway,which is rare because you usually clear it out when you get the belt,its dead now bar edgar who he will fight.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Conor cleared it out coming up by beating mendes dustin and holloway,which is rare because you usually clear it out when you get the belt,its dead now bar edgar who he will fight.

Still Edgar plus a Holloway rematch possibly, Max has come on a lot since that fight and they were both injured. Also remember that GSP cleared out 3 generations of WWs, from Hughes and Trigg to Koscheck and Alvez to Condit and Hendricks. 7 years of dominance if you exclude the Serra one in a million fight, 6 years if you start after Serra. Different stratosphere altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Half time of the NFL came and gone and still no 197 announcement

Still Edgar plus a Holloway rematch possibly, Max has come on a lot since that fight and they were both injured. Also remember that GSP cleared out 3 generations of WWs, from Hughes and Trigg to Koscheck and Alvez to Condit and Hendricks. 7 years of dominance if you exclude the Serra one in a million fight, 6 years if you start after Serra. Different stratosphere altogether.

Yeah I'd watch Conor v Max again but just cant anybody in the world at the weight taking his power and accuracy,if your basing p4p on longevity then yes gsp but its personal opinion on the p4p rankings I kind of go for level of competetion and method of victory,anderson was untouchable so cant go unmentioned but his steroid abuse blackened his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sorry MMA Forum Mods I meant to leave a re-direct text with this one.

I've moved this from the Martial Arts forum (to the UFC forum :p ).

In a couple of months he will have ko'd mendes aldo rda all prime,Legendary stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I thought this was an official UFC promo, pretty good :)

Thinking about RDA I think he might be a better match up than Edgar. Edgar doesn't have the same power or size but he mixes in his striking and takedowns so well and is difficult to hit. RDA can look a bit sloppy coming into the pocket, I think he'll win but Conor might catch him. I'd be less confident against Edgar who I think could blanket Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Thinking about RDA I think he might be a better match up than Edgar. Edgar doesn't have the same power or size but he mixes in his striking and takedowns so well and is difficult to hit. RDA can look a bit sloppy coming into the pocket, I think he'll win but Conor might catch him. I'd be less confident against Edgar who I think could blanket Conor.

I can see the logic in what your saying and you could be spot on but i just think Conor is just a bit too big for Frankie to blanket like he did Cub.
    Conor is a fair bit bigger than Cub and when Frankie fought at LW he got rocked plenty of times up there.

But he mixed up his takedowns with quick foot movement and was always hard to hit,but he never blanketed any guys at LW he just wasn't big enough up there and i think Conor is LW size and he won't be able to do it to Conor, maybe get him down but i don't think he could keep him down.But i definitely could see his movement making him difficult for Conor to time,he never stops bouncing around the canvas and moving his head,i just wouldn't have the fears of Conor getting mauled on the ground that i have versus someone like Dos Anjos who walks around at close to 200 lbs.

I'd say Conor cuts from high 160 walks round maybe mid 170s,RDA I'll guess and say walks round 180ish.

I can see the logic in what your saying and you could be spot on but i just think Conor is just a bit too big for Frankie to blanket like he did Cub.
    Conor is a fair bit bigger than Cub and when Frankie fought at LW he got rocked plenty of times up there.

But he mixed up his takedowns with quick foot movement and was always hard to hit,but he never blanketed any guys at LW he just wasn't big enough up there and i think Conor is LW size and he won't be able to do it to Conor, maybe get him down but i don't think he could keep him down.But i definitely could see his movement making him difficult for Conor to time,he never stops bouncing around the canvas and moving his head,i just wouldn't have the fears of Conor getting mauled on the ground that i have versus someone like Dos Anjos who walks around at close to 200 lbs.

Frankie's repeatedly taken down much better and bigger wrestlers than Conor. Bendo and Maynard to name but two. Mendes was sitting pretty on Conor until he went for submissions, Edgar would be stronger in that aspect. Conor is an elite striker but the way he's beaten is takedowns. I really hope that Conor's knee affected him against Mendes because that TDD won't be enough against RDA or Edgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

darced wrote: »

RDA is definitely very similar size to Conor, maybe a little bigger but not 200lbs big, that's an almost impossible cut to make. You can't rehydrate 50lbs from the weigh in so there's not much point in walking around 50lbs overweight. He said he was 200lbs in an interview but he wasn't bragging, I believe it was because he was injured and couldn't train properly.

The general point though does ring true. Conor is a weight cutter at 145 fighting ,for the most part, natural 145ers. At 155, his natural weight class, he could be fighting weight cutters who could be 185 in the ring, while he'd be in the 170 range.

McGregor is as tall as him no doubt maybe slightly taller but he is not as big,its not all about height,Dos Anjos was known as one of the bigger lws who makes a big cut,i have read articles going back months where it was noted how massive he was walking around and i'm pretty sure he is on record as being 190 walking around weight.Obviously i know he isn't 200 walking around that is too much to cut which was why i said almost just to make my point of how big he is.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/06/ufc-lightweight-champ-rafael-dos-anjos-sees-welterweight-move-in-his-future

Yeah he doesn't be that in the cage off course but he would get closer to it than Conor will because his natural walking around weight is bigger than Conors because he is a bigger guy,like bulkier,Conor will have his hands full keeping him off him imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I'd say Conor cuts from high 160 walks round maybe mid 170s,RDA I'll guess and say walks round 180ish.

Dos Anjos said himself in an interview that he cuts from 195 and wants to move to Welterweight in the future.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Dos Anjos said himself in an interview that he cuts from 195 and wants to move to Welterweight in the future.

Cutting weight means week of the fight cutting down,he is not cutting down from anything more than 170ish,he might walk around 195 when hes out of camp and not doing any training alright but just in training camp where hes shreded hes no heavier than 175ish I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Cutting weight means week of the fight cutting down,he is not cutting down from anything more than 170ish,he might walk around 195 when hes out of camp and not doing any training alright but just in training camp where hes shreded hes no heavier than 175ish I'd guess.

Yeah he'd obviously cut down abit in camp. If you look at the pictures of McGregor weighing in against Buchienger he looks alot healthier too. I'm excited to see Conor at 155.

were all getting trolled Conor v Edgar is getting announced :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Two possible reasons for the lack of an announcement today:

1. They knew everyone was expecting it, and decided to change the plan for the announcement for any of a hundred reasons.

2. They have been unable to reach a deal with Dos Anjos thus far. I heard he was asking for a huge payday, but that's unconfirmed.

Chase3 wrote: »
    Two possible reasons for the lack of an announcement today:

1. They knew everyone was expecting it, and decided to change the plan for the announcement for any of a hundred reasons.

2. They have been unable to reach a deal with Dos Anjos thus far. I heard he was asking for a huge payday, but that's unconfirmed.

RDA camp have said they've signed off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

I'm going to stay up another hour or so waiting for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

Gamebred wrote:
    His last 3 fights - Dodson,Horuguchi and Carioso,Bones last 3 fights DC,Gus and Glover

Gamebred wrote:
    There is no comparison Jones is levels ahead of him imo.

Mighty Mouse has beaten the #1 and #2 guy in his division twice and has cleared out his division to a point where any guys with 2/3 consecutive wins are touted as contenders such is his dominance.

In my mind there is never even a doubt when Mighty Mouse fights as to whether he will win or not he's just that dominant.

• Advertisement

Mighty Mouse has beaten the #1 and #2 guy in his division twice and has cleared out his division to a point where any guys with 2/3 consecutive wins are touted as contenders such is his dominance.

In my mind there is never even a doubt when Mighty Mouse fights as to whether he will win or not he's just that dominant.

If you look at it by 2nd and 3rd ranked in the division,Dodson is 2nd,in LHW its Cormier,DC is twice the fighter Dodson is imo,he never lost a round till he fought Jones.

the 3rd ranked is Henry Cejudo,im a fan of but has done nothing in mma,3rd in LHW is Gustafasson,who is much more acomplished than cejudo,Its not ever close the level of competetion,im not ****ting on DJ just dont think he has killers like JJ to beat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement