Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,155 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Dos Anjos said himself in an interview that he cuts from 195 and wants to move to Welterweight in the future.

I think he said he walks around at 195, not that he cuts from there. I'd say he's referring to out of camp weight, which is meaningless really. Why should he be given more credit for "size", over somebody who stays in shape. He shouldn't.
    I'd guess c.180 is the max size for a LW in the octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

RDA is a big lightweight and extremely powerful, look at how he handled Pettis. He's be bigger and stronger than Conor. Conor should be quicker and more technical on the feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Mellor wrote: »
    I think he said he walks around at 195, not that he cuts from there. I'd say he's referring to out of camp weight, which is meaningless really. Why should he be given more credit for "size", over somebody who stays in shape. He shouldn't.
    I'd guess c.180 is the max size for a LW in the octagon.

You really think the UFC LW champ in the form of his life gets out of shape between fights? When he says he walks around 195 he walks around in shape normal weight at 195.Whereas Conor between fights while also in shape walks around at 175 that is the difference.Arguing over what he cuts the last week is immaterial you don't think Conor was cutting from 175 to 145 in one week either do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

newbbieb wrote: »
    You really think the UFC LW champ in the form of his life gets out of shape between fights? When he says he walks around 195 he walks around in shape normal weight at 195.Whereas Conor between fights while also in shape walks around at 175 that is the difference.Arguing over what he cuts the last week is immaterial you don't think Conor was cutting from 175 to 145 in one week either do you?

Walk around weight is irrelevant really. It's what they weigh pre and post weight cut that matters. And I don't think RDA weighs 195 in the Octagon. He maybe weighs somewhere around 180. Conor will probably weigh somewhere around 175 I'd imagine (possibly more)so the size difference isn't gonna be that significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Conor has to limit his weight too due to the fact he cuts down to 145. Knowing he is cutting to 155 allows him to add an extra 10 pounds on to his 175 walk around weight.

He'll be bigger in the ring than we've seen him before and he looked absolutely huge against Aldo imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

RDA is a viscous mofo, when i see him trading strikes i think of what conor has said about slow and stiff, but i fear the damage he can do after a takedown.....i havn't a clue really but that's what i see..

Walk around weight is irrelevant really. It's what they weigh pre and post weight cut that matters. And I don't think RDA weighs 195 in the Octagon. He maybe weighs somewhere around 180. Conor will probably weigh somewhere around 175 I'd imagine (possibly more)so the size difference isn't gonna be that significant.

I think you must be missing my point guessing what they weigh in the cage is idle speculation until they start releasing fight night weights.The weight difference on fight night might be minimal but the fact is the guy who walks around 195 verses the guy who walks around 175 will put more back on after weigh in,like you say there might not be a massive difference but there will be a difference.

Until Conor completely forgets about going back down to FW and focuses on the LW division and puts on some more muscle mass he will always be outweighted in the cage because he definitely won't be able to go as big as he would prefer or he would have to abandon any thoughts of going back down to 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'd imagine if you were challenging for a lw title ...fw would at no point affect your preperation, you turn up to fight the lw champ as best as you can be.

RDA is a viscous mofo, when i see him trading strikes i think of what conor has said about slow and stiff, but i fear the damage he can do after a takedown.....i havn't a clue really but that's what i see..

Yeah his striking doesn't look technical but he's effective and damn he hits hard, ****ed up Pettis for 5 rounds and nobody has ever KO'd Cerrone or Benson like he did. I still see him going for takedowns early and often because grappling is where he should hold the clear advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

Gamebred wrote:
    If you look at it by 2nd and 3rd ranked in the division,Dodson is 2nd,in LHW its Cormier,DC is twice the fighter Dodson is imo,he never lost a round till he fought Jones.

Gamebred wrote:
    the 3rd ranked is Henry Cejudo,im a fan of but has done nothing in mma,3rd in LHW is Gustafasson,who is much more acomplished than cejudo,Its not ever close the level of competetion,im not ****ting on DJ just dont think he has killers like JJ to beat.

Dodson knocked out the current BW champion and Cejudo is an Olympic gold medallist so to discredit them like that is ridiculous.

Cejudo is undefeated in mma and just beat the #3 Flyweight in his fourth fight. Couple this with his gold medal and make him a heavier weight and he'd be one of the most talked about fighters in the UFC.

I love Gustafasson but he can't compete with the elite, Cejudo has already beaten a higher ranked guy than Gustaffson ever did.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Dodson knocked out the current BW champion and Cejudo is an Olympic gold medallist so to discredit them like that is ridiculous.

Cejudo is undefeated in mma and just beat the #3 Flyweight in his fourth fight. Couple this with his gold medal and make him a heavier weight and he'd be one of the most talked about fighters in the UFC.

I love Gustafasson but he can't compete with the elite, Cejudo has already beaten a higher ranked guy than Gustaffson ever did.

Get a grip im not discrediting anyone,Cejudo has beaten nobody hes decisoned a few journeyment who wouldnt get near a belt,Gus cant compete with the elite LOL im done with this funniest thing ive ever heard.

Gamebred wrote:
    Get a grip im not discrediting anyone,Cejudo has beaten nobody hes decisoned a few journeyment who wouldnt get near a belt,Gus cant compete with the elite LOL im done with this funniest thing ive ever heard.

Couldn't beat the worst Jones imaginable.
    Ko'd by Johnson.
    Apart from one knockdown, well beaten by Cormier.
    Cejudo is closer to getting a belt than Gustaffson ever will be again.

Ko'd by Johnson.

The way you worded that is so deceptive, let me try my version.

Arguably beat Jones, was definitely closer than anyone else has been and actually made him look human.
    KO'd by Johnson.
    Lost a narrow split decision to DC, nearly finished him in R3.
    Has been closer to the belt than Cejudo ever has been or will be in a more competitive division.

Ko'd by Johnson.

Im taking it you've never watched cejudo and are just going by wikipedia to create an arguement like a many do,cejudo the gold medalist didnt take chico f'n camus down once,its debatable weather he even won that fight im guessing you didnt watch this fight because all you see is 10-0 gold medalist and thinking he is some monster,yet hes a pillow fisted fighter whose beaten nobody of note in the division which is a weak division to start with,

mean while our pal Gus is taking down Jon Jones and possibly beat him (weather jones trained hard or not nobody knows for sure) then went and had a war with daniel cormier who is one of the best LHW's ever having not lost a round till he fought Jones.

Arguably beat Jones, was definitely closer than anyone else has been and actually made him look human. KO'd by Johnson. Lost a narrow split decision to DC, nearly finished him in R3. Has been closer to the belt than Cejudo ever has been or will be in a more competitive division.

A narrow split decision on paper. The fight itself was won by Cormier and confidently enough. Was shocked when they announced a split.
    Yes, the fight with Jones was close but as said that was the worst Jones we've ever seen.
    Bader is one the verge of a title shot so let's not pretend like LHW is full of killers.
    Both divisions are in poor health.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Im taking it you've never watched cejudo and are just going by wikipedia to create an arguement like a many do,cejudo the gold medalist didnt take chico f'n camus down once,its debatable weather he even won that fight im guessing you didnt watch this fight because all you see is 10-0 gold medalist and thinking he is some monster,yet hes a pillow fisted fighter whose beaten nobody of note in the division which is a weak division to start with,

mean while our pal Gus is taking down Jon Jones and possibly beat him (weather jones trained hard or not nobody knows for sure) then went and had a war with daniel cormier who is one of the best LHW's ever having not lost a round till he fought Jones.

This whole argument is kinda difficult to prove who is right but i would definitely agree Cejudo is wildly overrated,most of his wins were close run things in very boring affairs.

You could always sense the UFC were gonna keep his unbeaten record and use him as a match up for Mighty Mouse unless he gets completely starched.But i wouldn't compare his achievements in mma to hardly anyone he has had a poor UFC run albeit a winning run and looked terrible in every fight so far.

A narrow split decision on paper. The fight itself was won by Cormier and confidently enough. Was shocked when they announced a split.
    Yes, the fight with Jones was close but as said that was the worst Jones we've ever seen.
    Bader is one the verge of a title shot so let's not pretend like LHW is full of killers.
    Both divisions are in poor health.

I agree Cormier won but Gus still took 2 rounds off him and almost finished him. Disagree on Jones, Gus just had the fight of his life and JBJ wasn't used to fighting someone his size. Fighters always say that stuff after 'bad performances' - bad camp, injuries etc. I thought Jones was exceptional in rounds 3-5. The way you worded is was very one sided to suit your agenda, to say Gus can't compete with the elite is so wrong, he has literally had very competitive fights with the 2 best fighters in his division.

Both divisions are shallow but Jones, DC, Rumble, Gus and Bader >>>> DJ, Benavidez, Cejudo and whoever else is a contender in that division. Back to the original point, Jones is P4P the best fighter on the planet but I'd still have DJ in the top 3. His competition is pathetic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

So reports are the fight announcement is being held up as McGregor is demanding more money.

So reports are the fight announcement is being held up as McGregor is demanding more money.

Where you hear that?

Where you hear that?

All over twitter. Combate in Brazil reporting it.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote:

Gamebred wrote:

So because I disagree with you I don't watch MMA?
    So you think that Cejudo should go in and fight DJ within his first 4 fights in the UFC or who else in that division do you actually rate?

One of the best LHWs ever after going 3-1 in the division. Yea okay.

Sounds plausible seems a bit weird the delay,i could imagine he wanted a bigger ppv cut because he probably realises this fight could well do crazy numbers.That whole Mayweather thing won't have done him any harm getting his name more mainstream.

So this is where Conor and Dana fall out then over money....

So because I disagree with you I don't watch MMA?
    So you think that Cejudo should go in and fight DJ within his first 4 fights in the UFC or who else in that division do you actually rate?

One of the best LHWs ever after going 3-1 in the division. Yea okay.

DC is a beast HW or LHW for someone who isnt training mma all his life,hes beaten every one possible bar jones,and cain because of friendship.

Gamebred wrote: »
    So this is where Conor and Dana fall out then over money....

I hope he gets his value because the UFC have surely been milking the Irish Conor fans lately,that whole 3 day event was designed specifically to milk all the Conor fans for as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ah yes the reliable Brazilian media.... I'd be fairly confident it's not mcgregor holding it up John wouldn't have been tweeting about an announcement last night if it was.

Jeremy Botter reporting on twitter that it may be RDA who's asking for more money.

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/686617654409363456

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

RDA is in no position to be demanding more money despite his title. People won't be buying this PPV to watch him, no matter how great of a fighter he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

martyos121 wrote: »
    RDA is in no position to be demanding more money despite his title. People won't be buying this PPV to watch him, no matter how great of a fighter he is.

Doesn't hurt to ask for it all the same.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement