Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Axwell wrote: »
    Some would say most of the laws in Ireland get passed down from a European Commission, not made up of Irish people or voted in by Irish people. So we are still under a foreign rule. Not my personal opinion but one that exists, but again not really a discussion to have in the MMA forum.

Conor needs to cater to his American fan base who will not be picturing his ancestry as a leprechaun version of Braveheart.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Gamebred wrote: »
    Not to drag this on about the gun but that looks like a drive way to the house,would he be pedantic to say hes handling the gun on private property?
    Not sure to be honest, every airsoft seller will tell you simply don't let other people see you with it, as if someone sees you with it and contacts the guards it is treated seriously if that person thought it was real or felt threatened by it (private place or not), no one reported him though so it should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Saipanne wrote: »
    Referring to the troika?

I sincerely hope he's not going on about politics again. Plus he is wrong if he is referring to the troika.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

RDA will be a very tough fight and his toughest one yet. I think edgar could be a tougher one though. Styles make matchups and Of all the opponents he could face next id havr rated their difficulty as
    1 khabib
    2 frankie
    3 rda
    4 aldo
    5 holloway
    6 diaz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

RDA will be a very tough fight and his toughest one yet. I think edgar could be a tougher one though. Styles make matchups and Of all the opponents he could face next id havr rated their difficulty as
    1 khabib
    2 frankie
    3 rda
    4 aldo
    5 holloway
    6 diaz

Agree with this, if Khabib comes back and dismantles Pettis after he gives Alvarez a one way ticket back to Bellator il Litrally be ****ting myself if a fight with Conor gets announced. Obviously depending on how the knee is but he's the best in the division by a mile.

Also on the airaoft thing, my mates house got raided because someone seen his through the window and reported it.... Absolutely hilarious looking back on it now but not at the time.

• Advertisement

1 khabib
    2 frankie
    3 rda
    4 aldo
    5 holloway
    6 diaz

I think he disposes of Frankie quite easy watching him against Mendes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Wonder how the mind games in the build up to this will pan out,Conor will get under his skin no doubt,looking forward to the first face off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Number 4 made me cringe no end, there is race tension popping up all over America due to police officers shooting young unarmed men.

When was the last time the Mcgregor's were oppressed the year 1030 ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Number 4 made me cringe no end, there is race tension popping up all over America due to police officers shooting young unarmed men.

When was the last time the Mcgregor's were oppressed the year 1030 ?!

I still see racism against the Irish in every non boards thread about McGregor.

Sure, comments like "paddy", "mick" and nasty references to the potato famine don't affect me so much, but they are undoubtedly racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

i think the much more serious issue here is why is he not in the gym training for the biggest fight of his life ?. he is just 10 weeks out against a man they say he won't beat and here he is running around like a 4 year old with his first toy gun.

Never mind the fact that it is obvious he indulged in the turkey and ham over crimbo - you gotta say he is on slippery ground and is probably finished shortly

Lets just hope he doesn't do any nightclub appearances this time! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Sure, comments like "paddy", "mick" and nasty references to the potato famine don't affect me so much, but they are undoubtedly racist.

That's nasty and bigoted but on such a small scale I don't think that is oppressive. The legal, media system turning against you is oppressive. I think Conor needs some perspective. Conor gets more attention than Mayweather because people like his personality, Conor shouldn't make it about race either which he is doing despite what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

You must be a fierce sensitive soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I can't believe you really think there is any sort of comparison between weak use of national stereotypes towards Irish people on mma forums and the level of systemic racism faced by many black people in America today?

Floyd is hugely unlikeable all on his own and is probably barking up the wrong tree to suggest McGregor is viewed more positively due to his colour (it would probably have something to do with the lack of history of domestic violence and general thuggery), but that isn't to say that there isn't a strong history of cultural bias against outspoken successful black figures in the US, whether it be in the field of sports, entertainment or politics.

I really cringed when McGregor tried to make some sort of a comparison between the Irish and black americans as an oppressed people, especially seeing as the Irish community were historically one of the most anti-black communities in the U.S....he could simply have said "people view me more positively because I am less of a w@anker" and he would have been spot on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Mayweather is doing some nice trolling staying relevant,he done this and made millions buy his ppv's in hope of seeing him smashed,I know hes not the brightest but its clear to me hes getting some free publicity from McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Gamebred wrote: »
    Mayweather is doing some nice trolling staying relevant,he done this and made millions buy his ppv's in hope of seeing him smashed,I know hes not the brightest but its clear to me hes getting some free publicity from McGregor.

Ironic too considering this all started because McGregor and Rousey were using his name for publicity. We're all just puppets.

You must be a fierce sensitive soul.

I don't take the starvation of a million people lightly. I suppose you find it humorous.

I don't take the starvation of a million people lightly. I suppose you find it humorous.

Where did I or anyone else in this thread even imply that?

McGregor comparing the oppression of the Irish by the British to the continued systematic racism faced by people of colour in the US, where being black can be enough to get you killed by a government employee if you're in the wrong place, is frankly ridiculous.

100,000,000 + slaves taken from Africa, 15% of them died enroute, then kept as basically livestock for a few hundred years, only being allowed equal right in the last few decades, etc, etc, etc, etc.

The Irish were dealt a ****ty hand, no doubt, but we got off EXTREMELY lightly compared to other colonised parts of the world. Africa and South Asia especially.

McGregor using this "we suffered too" line as a rebuttal is idiocy, he's talking out of his arse. It betrays his lack of understanding of the issue and, to be frank, shows up his lack of education.

Oh, and McGregor is a Scottish name, his family probably came to Ireland as planters during the plantation Laois and Offaly. So for all this "we woz oppressed", his ancestors probably benefited from it more than anyone else.

Yeah obviously not on, but for some reason idiots seem to think its ok to make light of suffering long ago....or even just far away from them....I was in primary school in the 90's and I don't think a day passed when at least one joke wasn't told about a Somalian.....at the very time when hundreds of thousands of people were dying of a famine in somalia....and no one was batting an eyelid! Some people are just ignorant/thoughtless idiots.....

But stil, the odd tasteless joke on a message board aimed at an ethnic group who are now firmly entrenched in the middle classes of America is not the same as the systemic racism that has contributed to black people being 3 times more likely to be below the poverty line, twice as likely to be unemployed, have higher mortgage rates, have poorer access to education etc.....

It was just the wrong route for McGregor to take. In the case of Mayweather he is disliked by many because he is very unlikeable. End of story. McGregor felt the need to claim some over the top sense of oppression for his ancestors as if it was some sort of competition as to who has suffered more oppression!

I think ye are simply writing off our history because we have it so good now. Our people's good fortune really only kicked off in the early 90's. The further you go back from that point, the more racism, state sponsored prejudice and even slavery you run into, on every corner of the planet. The Irish are no strangers to police bias, I'm either the US or UK. The Irish are no strangers to what African Americans are going through in the US today. This stuff is common knowledge.

Anyway, in conclusion, I think RDA will win via decision.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Never a truer statement with regards to conor.

People won't rest until he has a massive fall from Grace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I don't know about anyone else but u really couldn't care less what Floyd or Conor has to say about oppression or racism il leave that to political figures and the likes, what I do care about is there fighting ability, which is what more people should focus on rather than the ****e that comes out of there mouths.

ASOT wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but u really couldn't care less what Floyd or Conor has to say about oppression or racism il leave that to political figures and the likes, what I do care about is there fighting ability, which is what more people should focus on rather than the ****e that comes out of there mouths.

Pretty much, two guys who get punched in the face for a living probably aren't the ones to give nuanced opinions on historical and sociological topics.

Actually, reading that list again, Conor saying that Mayweather's last fight tanked financially... He sold 500,000 PPV's against a nobody and pocketed the $32million for an easy nights work.
    I'd like to fail that hard some day.

I think ye are simply writing off our history because we have it so good now. Our people's good fortune really only kicked off in the early 90's. The further you go back from that point, the more racism, state sponsored prejudice and even slavery you run into, on every corner of the planet. The Irish are no strangers to police bias, I'm either the US or UK. The Irish are no strangers to what African Americans are going through in the US today. This stuff is common knowledge.

Anyway, in conclusion, I think RDA will win via decision.

Not sure if it is common knowledge, but it is a fact that when the Irish were being treated as second class citizens in America upon their arrival in the country and for the decades after that, they, rather than building links and creating solidarity with the other largest ethnic minority in America at the time, fought against the abolition of slavery, and their climb up the social ladder in the U.S. is strongly linked with their involvement in the white supremacy movement...they created anti-black trade unions to ringfence certain jobs for Irish and limit opportunities for black people......we are no strangers to being the perpetrators of racism as well as the victims unfortunately :(

I have been a doubter for McGregor's last two fights (though I hoped he would win), and at this point I can't bring myself to doubt him again. I think he'll have a clear speed advantage and be able to use that to keep distance and control range, hopefully limiting RDA's opportunities for easy takedowns. That said, if he giftwraps takedown opportunities for RDA as he did Mendes I would be very worried about his ability to get back to his feet against a much larger opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Jasus if ya can't make or take a joke on the famine ye may seriously lighten up. Everyone's offended by anything these days.

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Jasus if ya can't make or take a joke on the famine ye may seriously lighten up. Everyone's offended by anything these days.

I can take paddy jokes all day. But for me, the (or a) famine is a no go. Personal taste.

I'm out of this topic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Good thing Conor has never said anything stupid or racist.....

Hopefully now that he has achieved his current status he will cut down on the bullsh1t

I can take paddy jokes all day. But for me, the (or a) famine is a no go. Personal taste.

I'm out of this topic now.

Fair enough but it was so long ago it's not as if anyone personally experienced it and as such could be offended. What was it 150 yrs ago? Sorry just wanted to say that last thing on it.

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Fair enough but it was so long ago it's not as if anyone personally experienced it and as such could be offended. What was it 150 yrs ago? Sorry just wanted to say that last thing on it.

Sure by that logic in the next 50 years we should forget the holocaust happend and 6 million Jews were slaughtered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Not sure if it is common knowledge, but it is a fact that when the Irish were being treated as second class citizens in America upon their arrival in the country and for the decades after that, they, rather than building links and creating solidarity with the other largest ethnic minority in America at the time, fought against the abolition of slavery, and their climb up the social ladder in the U.S. is strongly linked with their involvement in the white supremacy movement...they created anti-black trade unions to ringfence certain jobs for Irish and limit opportunities for black people......we are no strangers to being the perpetrators of racism as well as the victims unfortunately :(

I have been a doubter for McGregor's last two fights (though I hoped he would win), and at this point I can't bring myself to doubt him again. I think he'll have a clear speed advantage and be able to use that to keep distance and control range, hopefully limiting RDA's opportunities for easy takedowns. That said, if he giftwraps takedown opportunities for RDA as he did Mendes I would be very worried about his ability to get back to his feet against a much larger opponent.
    Any links for that? I know some Irish were involved in white supremacy, but they weren't 'typical' Irish, rather Ulster-scots who moved to the southern areas before the later catholic-irish migrations

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Sure by that logic in the next 50 years we should forget the holocaust happend and 6 million Jews were slaughtered.

Not forget but you should be able to see the humour in some jokes rather than get offended by it. Like people aren't going out to genuinely be disrespectful to the famine but you should be able to have a laugh without being worried about offending people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement