Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

JJayoo wrote: »
    Must be hard for you to discuss anything, I mean Conor hasn't given an interview in sometime so you can't parrot off any of his new material.

You my friend are a known McGregor Doubter,you spouted crap about Aldo being unbeatable (ko'd in 13secs well done couldnt of been more wrong) before you cling onto mendes surviving about 4 mins in conors guard doing absolutely nothing but land one elbow as a stick to beat him with,anyone disagrees they're a fanboy zzzzzzz

Billy86 wrote: »
    You... seem to have completely ignored the point of my post? I'm a huge McGregor fan and was 100% cheering for him in that fight, and all his other fights, so your "full house of excuses at the ready" bit literally makes no sense.

McGregor got mauled in the early going from takedowns. Fact.
    McGregor had little time to prepare his takedown defense. Fact.
    Mendes gassed & got KO'd. Fact.
    Mendes had little time to prepare his cardio. Fact.

Which of these do you dispute?

Billy my friend why did he gas? 90 seconds into the fight he was getting butchered and taking deep breaths go watch the fight even rogan makes a point of mentioning it,you think he was tired after 90 seconds?

''Mauled'' LOL as in get taken down elbow the head of Chad and laugh in his face from the bottom,make one sub attempt and fail due to a beautiful escape,then get ko'd

Your idea of mauled is very very strange you must be new to combat sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Gamebred wrote: »
    Billy my friend why did he gas? 90 seconds into the fight he was getting butchered and taking deep breaths go watch the fight even rogan makes a point of mentioning it,you think he was tired after 90 seconds?

''Mauled'' LOL as in get taken down elbow the head of Chad and laugh in his face from the bottom,make one sub attempt and fail due to a beautiful escape,then get ko'd

Your idea of mauled is very very strange you must be new to combat sports.

Thanks for your insight on my experience watching combat sports, but the earliest fight I remember seeing was Tank Abbott vs John Matua (albeit about 2 years later on a recording). You should do yourself a favour and watch the fight again. The KO came with 10 seconds left in the second round, and to that point nobody in their right mind would have had McGregor close in scoring. Feel free to argue against this using the video below for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Honestly man you can be a fan of Conor's and still question some aspects of his game. We can also discuss the outcome of a potential bout with RDA and consider all possibilities.

Your type of discussion brings nothing to the table and just derails the thread, e.g "you must be new to combat sports".

If you can discuss the topic at hand instead of attacking other posters because you disagree with their statement this whole thread would be much easier to read.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Honestly man you can be a fan of Conor's and still question some aspects of his game. We can also discuss the outcome of a potential bout with RDA and consider all possibilities.

Your type of discussion brings nothing to the table and just derails the thread, e.g "you must be new to combat sports".

If you can discuss the topic at hand instead of attacking other posters because you disagree with their statement this whole thread would be much easier to read.

I'm not attacking anybody,Im questioning an ignorant comment that McGregor was mauled,anybody who watches martial arts for more than a wet day would not come to the conclusion Mendes mauled him,

We are discussing RDA,Ive stated my opinion that his chin has been cracked and it doesnt recover thus I predict him getting ko'd unconcious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

he is meant to face RDA on march 5. its in the news.. is that not a bit soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

In the Mendes fight, the first round was close, I probably would have given it to McGregor by a shade. Mendes obviously would have taken round 2. So I don't see the supposed dominance of Mendes. I would have Mendes leading by a point by the end of round 2.

Over the whole fight McGregor landed 74 strikes, 46 counted as significant.

Mendes landed 36 strikes, 31 counted as significant. And of course he scored four takedowns.

I dunno. I don't see the dominance of Mendes in the stats or the video. The scales were definitely tipped in his favour, before he was KO'd, but he wasn't out of sight or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Saipanne wrote: »
    In the Mendes fight, the first round was close, I probably would have given it to McGregor by a shade. Mendes obviously would have taken round 2. So I don't see the supposed dominance of Mendes. I would have Mendes leading by a point by the end of round 2.

Over the whole fight McGregor landed 74 strikes, 46 counted as significant.

Mendes landed 36 strikes, 31 counted as significant. And of course he scored four takedowns.

I dunno. I don't see the dominance of Mendes in the stats or the video. The scales were definitely tipped in his favour, before he was KO'd, but he wasn't out of sight or anything.

Very similar line of thought although I had Mendes shading the first. He wud have been 20-18 up after 2 in my books. Despite some people discounting RDAs wrestling; I think he is certainly capable of taking McGregor down. It's a very intriguing match up in my books; cannot wait for it.

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Very similar line of thought although I had Mendes shading the first. He wud have been 20-18 up after 2 in my books. Despite some people discounting RDAs wrestling; I think he is certainly capable of taking McGregor down. It's a very intriguing match up in my books; cannot wait for it.

Of course he could take Conor down,then what? who in the same universe has he ever submitted on the ground? complete nobodies years ago same with Aldo we heard how hes a brown belt world champion and beat Cobrinha,he will no doubt panic wrestle after getting lit up,its not a matter of how he Conor can win,its when,like Ive said before your witnessing history in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Of course he could take Conor down,then what? who in the same universe has he ever submitted on the ground? complete nobodies years ago same with Aldo we heard how hes a brown belt world champion and beat Cobrinha,he will no doubt panic wrestle after getting lit up,its not a matter of how he Conor can win,its when,like Ive said before your witnessing history in the making.

There is a very real possibility of McGregor getting cleaned out by RDA; if he takes Conor down he'll beat the life out of him. Don't get me wrong, I want McG to win this, but you really should be giving RDA more credit here.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    There is a very real possibility of McGregor getting cleaned out by RDA; if he takes Conor down he'll beat the life out of him. Don't get me wrong, I want McG to win this, but you really should be giving RDA more credit here.

Dont be so worried steve have some faith,he just ko'd the fw goat in the first exchance,this train of thought comes around before every fight,''this is the one where he loses'' yet he performs every time,I respect RDA of course and anything can happen in a fight,I just believe Conor is a level (or more) above him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Dont be so worried steve have some faith,he just ko'd the fw goat in the first exchance,this train of thought comes around before every fight,''this is the one where he loses'' yet he performs every time,I respect RDA of course and anything can happen in a fight,I just believe Conor is a level (or more) above him.

He did KO aldo in one exchange, but the fact of the matter is that McG has major holes in his game which will be exposed if he sleeps on RDA. This is going to be a much tougher fight for McGregor than the Aldo one; RDA will not make the same mistake of leading with his face that Aldo did. If it stays standing though McGregor will likely KO him, if it goes to ground I wouldn't fancy his chances....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭xtal191

Obvioulsy I hope Conor wins but RDA is an absolute beast, look what he did to Pettis with an injured knee. I cant wait for this fight but it'll def be Conors toughest fight by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

darced wrote: »
    It'll be Rousey Holm all over again.

He'll think he can outstrike him because he's beaten 2 strikers and get ktfo.
    If he has any sense in him he won't want to stand and trade at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Hope conor does the smart thing and brings in an olympic caliber wrestler to train with. Tbh it should be part of everyone of his future camps. Towards ongoing grappling devolpment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Hope conor does the smart thing and brings in an olympic caliber wrestler to train with. Tbh it should be part of everyone of his future camps. Towards ongoing grappling devolpment.

empacher wrote: »

What's wrong with the wrestling coach he already has?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Tazzimus wrote: »
    What's wrong with the wrestling coach he already has?

Best to go with a pro from here on in, maybe punk would help him out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Jesus gamebred your posts have been hard to read. Get McGregors balls out of your mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

darced wrote: »

Could get Saul Rogers over to train with him

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It should be Edgar next, if he beat him he would of cleaned out the division in pretty much no time. Edgar absolutely deserves it too and would give conor a right battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

rob316 wrote: »
    It should be Edgar next, if he beat him he would of cleaned out the division in pretty much no time. Edgar absolutely deserves it too and would give conor a right battle.

Why does edgar deserve it so much?

He has had 2 chances to win the title already.

He will get his shot but he doesn't deserve it as much as some people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

JustTheOne wrote: »

Then who deserves the next shot at FW?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: Lads, if you have a problem with people's posts or their opinions, please discuss it in a civil, adult manner. Don't resort to insults or ridiculing someone or labelling them as a "nuthugger" etc. Anymore of that crap and infractions/bans will be handed out.

......you must be new to combat sports.

Gamebred, this type of post is also unacceptable here. No one wants to listen to tripe like this.
    If you have a strong opinion one way or the other; explain your point properly and don't be a child about it. Do it again and you'll be taking a break from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Billy86 wrote: »
    You... seem to have completely ignored the point of my post? I'm a huge McGregor fan and was 100% cheering for him in that fight, and all his other fights, so your "full house of excuses at the ready" bit literally makes no sense.

McGregor got mauled in the early going from takedowns. Fact.
    McGregor had little time to prepare his takedown defense. Fact.
    Mendes gassed & got KO'd. Fact.
    Mendes had little time to prepare his cardio. Fact.

Which of these do you dispute?

McGregor got mauled in the early going from takedown. Incorrect. Conor butchered him in the exchanges. Butchered so much that Mendes tank emptied.
    McGregor had little time to prepare TDD. Agree.
    Mendes gassed. Incorrect. Conor's strikes emptied the tank. You don't gas after one minute of fighting at featherweight.
    Mendes had little time to prepare for his cardio. If Mendes was dumb enough not to be fighting fit when the top two guys in his division were scheduled to fight for a title and one has a history of pulling out with injuries then Mendes is a dumbass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

McGregor got mauled in the early going from takedown. Incorrect. Conor butchered him in the exchanges. Butchered so much that Mendes tank emptied.
    McGregor had little time to prepare TDD. Agree.
    Mendes gassed. Incorrect. Conor's strikes emptied the tank. You don't gas after one minute of fighting at featherweight.
    Mendes had little time to prepare for his cardio. If Mendes was dumb enough not to be fighting fit when the top two guys in his division were scheduled to fight for a title and one has a history of pulling out with injuries then Mendes is a dumbass.

The last point, you can take either way. For me, McGregor was not at all even close to 'butchering' Mendes in the exchanges. He had the edge on them for sure, but given how lethal his strikes have shown to be (only Siver and Holloway otherwise going beyond the first round, the latter of which Conor was on a torn ACL for most of and the former was done within 2 minutes of the second) if he were "butchering" Mendes the fight would have been done long, long before it was. Saying Mendes was gassed after 1 minute is a wild exaggeration, especially given that McGregor landed almost no shots to the body within that first 60 seconds. If you believe he were though, it would be serious cause for worry moving forward, given how he was still scoring multiple takedowns on Conor after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

JustTheOne wrote: »

Is it not only 1 attempt at the FW title? Has he not went unbeaten since losing a close decision to Aldo? Has went 5-0 since then with some impressive performances. Personally I feel he deserves it no questions asked.
    Hypothetically; in my opinion he deserves it more than Conor deserves a shot at LW.
    Anyway; roll on March and we might just have an amazing moment of Irish sporting history being witnessed.

• Advertisement

The reason it's RDA first is if McGregor loses then they have the fight with Frankie to fall back on still, if he fought Frankie first and lost then they'd most likely scrap the RDA fight as it would lose a lot of steam.

Basically UFC are ensuring they can make as much money off both fights as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement