Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project CARS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Dcully wrote: »
    Yeah always use a wheel mate, only way to play a racing sim.

Yh I use to have one years ago but I just don't have room for one now I don't mind using the pad but its so hard to control a car with pad, I have been trying rfactor also and I cant get into it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Did you order the standard edition? Did they happen mention anything about the other five cars being included as compensation by any chance?!

I went in to Smyths but apparently they don't take pre-orders in store anymore. I pre-ordered it online and can collect it in-store on the day. It didn't say anything on the site about the 5 extra cars, but I presume they'll be included.
    I accepted your FR earlier on, we have the making of a small Irish team going here, I know of a couple of the Boards BF4 clan are getting this game on the PS4 too.

Sounds good to me.
    Played some more and its far too forgiving compared to AC.
    Now i see why the majority of the sim community are saying its more like forza than a full sim.
    Yes the physics have improved bigtime compared to earlier builds but it all feels [dare i say it] consoley which is not what i want from simracing.
    Still a fun game but nowhere near as enjoyable or as rewarding as assetto corsa or iracing to drive.

I'm yet to try AC and iRacing. I think I need to improve a huge amount before I sign up for iRacing. At the moment the only others sims I've tried out are R3E (and the DTM expansion), GSCE and the rFactor 2 demo. I'm a huge fan of F1 - so the variety of different era's of F1 cars in GSCE really drew me to that.

Have you played any of them? How does PCars compare?

v3ttel wrote: »
    I went in to Smyths but apparently they don't take pre-orders in store anymore. I pre-ordered it online and can collect it in-store on the day. It didn't say anything on the site about the 5 extra cars, but I presume they'll be included.

Sounds good to me.

I'm yet to try AC and iRacing. I think I need to improve a huge amount before I sign up for iRacing. At the moment the only others sims I've tried out are R3E (and the DTM expansion), GSCE and the rFactor 2 demo. I'm a huge fan of F1 - so the variety of different era's of F1 cars in GSCE really drew me to that.

Have you played any of them? How does PCars compare?

What's gsce mate I feel like I'm missing a trick here ha.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Honestly Assetto Corsa isn't very forgiving for even beginner sim racers to get into. The game feels like its there to punish newcomers to the genre.

I'll be getting CARS on Steam. I've played alpha builds and find it very enjoyable.

Honestly Assetto Corsa isn't very forgiving for even beginner sim racers to get into. The game feels like its there to punish newcomers to the genre.

I'll be getting CARS on Steam. I've played alpha builds and find it very enjoyable.

But if your a proper sim racing fan your not allowed forgiveness you choose to be punished and the harder it is on you the better or else you just go play an "arcade" racing game :) I agree tho I haven't played ac yet I love the looks of it from the videos but it be nice to have a gentle introduction to some of these games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its a proper sim thats why it isnt forgiving,its meant to feel as close to the real thing as possible hence why many real life pro racing drivers play iracing,assetto and game stock car.
    Fair play to kunos simulazioni,they promised a full on simulation and they delivered.
    Anyone can go the easy route and make a dumbed down racer that appeals to the masses but kunos simulazioni are passionate about their simracing and keep their promises.
    Back to project cars i will buy on steam and enjoy it but for a real sim fix ill be booting up assetto corsa and GSC,im no longer subbed to iracing as i dont have time to invest hugely into gaming let alone the genre.

jayo26 wrote: »

I would highly recommend it. I picked it up for €28 on Steam and installed mods for the various F1 eras. It's not very intensive graphically, so you should be able to run it without any problems.

Playing it with all assists turned off using the T300RS wheel (compatible with the PS4 & PC, so that's why I had the choice of platform to get PCARS on). I'm at 95% A.I level and I really like how the cars feel. I'm hoping it's good a starting point for iRacing. Most of the tracks are based in Brazil so I don't know many of them. On a lot of the tracks, many of the corners don't have obvious braking references so that adds to the challenge. At 95%, the A.I are pretty lively. It takes a good bit of practice to get to know the track and be competitive for a race, at that pace. Even putting 10 clean, mistake-free laps together is a challenge.

There is no career mode though, and I'm not sure if there are any weather effects. If the cars in PCARS feel as good as GSCE, with a good career mode and weather effects, I can see myself spending A LOT of time playing it.

GSCE is the updated version of Game Stock Car ive mentioned on here many times.
    It uses the old rfactor 1 engine but the guys at reiza studios extract every ounce of goodness from it and make it a fantastic racing sim.
    It has an absolute tonne of content out of the box and countless mods.
    Reiza also make the fantastic Formula Trucks which is basically the same game but with super powered trucks, a lot of fun :)
    If the cars in PCARS feel as good as GSCE

It doesnt, as ive said PCars isnt as good as iracing, assetto corsa or GSCE in terms of physics and the true meaning of simulation.
    PCars sits somewhere in between the likes of arcadey stuff like grid autosport/dirt and true pc sims like already mentioned,its basically forza for PC.
    While it may not be on par with those sims it offers a different experience and has a huge amount of cars and tracks.

Forgot to mention, the AI in Assetto Corsa is pretty poor even at this stage plus it doesnt have as many cars and tracks as PCars,so for people interested in offline racing with AI, career modes with AI might be better off with PCars.
    For race weekend type racing against AI in a proper sim i would suggest GSCE Game Stock Car Extreme,its AI is simply fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think I need to improve a huge amount before I sign up for iRacing.
    I've never felt the urge to get into iRacing, it almost seems like too much hard work because it takes itself so seriously. It does seem like possibly the best overall package if you favour realism over all else. the leagues and safety rating force people to drive it like it's their actual car.

AC supposedly still have the best driving experience though. If you enjoy driving for the sake of driving AC can't be beat. If you want the competitive element iRacing is still king because it has it all out of the box.
    Forgot to mention, the AI in Assetto Corsa is pretty poor even at this stage plus it doesnt have as many cars and tracks as PCars,so for people interested in offline racing with AI, career modes with AI might be better off with PCars.
    For race weekend type racing against AI in a proper sim i would suggest GSCE Game Stock Car Extreme,its AI is simply fantastic.
    AC AI is always improving though so I'm pretty certain they'll fix the issue. The big thing about AC though is the cars and tracks have depth. You can spend hours driving one car on one track and still find extra speed a month later.

I like to spend a week with one car and get to know it, the difference in each car is incredible.

My fanatec pedals broke down though, I've been away from the game for nearly a month.

• Advertisement

The above video is one of the few videos I've seen that has more dislikes than likes. I would be very shocked if it isn't fully dark running at midnight in Le Mans in the final build.He didn't seem to be sure what build version he was running, judging by the comments and corrections.

On the flip side, I stumbled across the video below yesterday. It's a preview of the PS4 version. Not familiar with these guys, but they seem very positive about it. The footage looks impressive.

Detailed comparison between the physics of Project Cars and iRacing, using identical cars and tracks:

Your man Alan from VVV is a staunch console racer ,i recall him proclaiming codemasters f1 games were true racings sims lol.
    Seems a nice guy but on many occasions hes been asked about iracing,assetto corsa and rfactor 2 content and he says they are stupidly hard, ofcourse they are hard they are meant to be, he wouldnt be the type of guy id trust reviewing a racing sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Detailed comparison between the physics of Project Cars and iRacing, using identical cars and tracks:

That was an interesting video, things are looking good I reckon.
    Roll on release date!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

It will never be as good as assetto corsa for driving feel and physics but ive just preordered it on GMG for €37
    AC it may not be but for a game containing a decent physics engine and a tonne of content it has to be worth €37.
    I will be mainly playing it for AI races and seasons etc.

I think it might be time to start a PS4 thread for Project Cars.
    At least then we won't be constantly reminded about how apparently crap it is compared to AC.

I think it might be time to start a PS4 thread for Project Cars.
    At least then we won't be constantly reminded about how apparently crap it is compared to AC.

lol i dont see anyone saying its crap compared to AC, inferior in driving physics yes but crap no,it has a lot more content than AC.

lol i dont see anyone saying its crap compared to AC, inferior in driving physics yes but crap no,it has a lot more content than AC.

Lol nothing, you haven't stopped harping on about how inferior PC feels compared to AC since I've started reading this thread. You've also posted the one nonsense, negative review to be found online for it too.

• Advertisement

Lol nothing, you haven't stopped harping on about how inferior PC feels compared to AC since I've started reading this thread. You've also posted the one nonsense, negative review to be found online for it too.

harping on you say? its a forum for simracing, what do you expect other than talking about simracing?
    Someone has a different opinion than you and you start bitching.

One negative review to be found? There are no reviews out there, the game isnt released yet.

Go read some simracing forums for thoughts on the latest build from many veteran simracers, you will find a lot more negative opinion.

harping on you say? its a forum for simracing, what do you expect other than talking about simracing?
    Someone has a different opinion than you and you start bitching.

One negative review to be found? There are no reviews out there, the game isnt released yet.

Go read some simracing forums for thoughts on the latest build from many veteran simracers, you will find a lot more negative opinion.

I'd much rather find out for myself, I don't trust pc snobs.
    And I'm not bitching either, how can I even have an opinion when I haven't played the game yet?
    You were the one who came into a Project Cars thread to tell us how inferior you think it is in comparison to AC, it's a question that wasn't asked but you felt the need to answer it anyway.

I'd much rather find out for myself, I don't trust pc snobs.

lol just lol ,then dont read forums about the game.
    I could go the route of you taking as gospel opinions of those wetting themselves over PCARS because they never played a proper sim before,
    Im a firm believer physics of any game are only as good as what your comparing it to [do i need to explain further?]
    And I'm not bitching either

Well if your not bitching your definitely having a pop at me.
    You were the one who came into a Project Cars thread to tell us how inferior you think it is in comparison to AC, it's a question that wasn't asked but you felt the need to answer it anyway.

Again ,just to let you know its a forum for discussing all things racing sims/games.

FYI i didnt say PCARS was inferior, i said it physics and driving feeling gameplay are not as good as AC or iracing or GSCE for that matter.
    I also mentioned it better than AC in other ways, more cars, tracks AI ,seasons,career for example.
    I fail to see what your complaining about, unless your just trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

I wonder if we'll have the option to remove the steering wheel from the interior view?
    I seriously cannot wait to try this game out!

EDIT.
    You can indeed switch off the wheel and arm animations, check out this video.

Project Cars - Wheel and FOV PS4 Gameplay: https://youtu.be/BmVQzEMtBmo

I wonder if we'll have the option to remove the steering wheel from the interior view?
    I seriously cannot wait to try this game out!

There are 3 in car views mate one is from inside the drivers helmet another is the old fashioned top of the drivers head view and then there is one in the middle of the two seats, my favourite is inside the drivers helmet it is really nicely done but takes alot of getting used to the track bobbing and weaving about in front of you.

Edit... Only seen your edit after I post I actually wasn't aware of been able to turn off wheel and arm animations but I actually quiet like it I think they are well done.

jayo26 wrote: »
    There are 3 in car views mate one is from inside the drivers helmet another is the old fashioned top of the drivers head view and then there is one in the middle of the two seats, my favourite is inside the drivers helmet it is really nicely done but takes alot of getting used to the track bobbing and weaving about in front of you.

Edit... Only seen your edit after I post I actually wasn't aware of been able to turn off wheel and arm animations but I actually quiet like it I think they are well done.
    They certainly do look good alright but when you're using a wheel and cockpit cam it can be very distracting!

They certainly do look good alright but when you're using a wheel and cockpit cam it can be very distracting!

Ahhh yes fair point.

I'm told that there are loads of people playing on the PS4 already.

##**~~##'s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I'm told that there are loads of people playing on the PS4 already.

##**~~##'s!
    Snook an early copy somewhere?

Advertisement