Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It seems to be Nintendo's Christmas...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Here we go with this age nonsense again.
    And I have already declared that I am a fan of Nintendo, unfortunately for your comment I also own pretty much every other console as well and, while I haven't purchased either new machine I will in the next 6 months or so, when there's something I want to play on them, which is something I have stated elsewhere.
    And, anyway, its not the Snes Megadrive battle I was involved in, more the C64 vs Spectrum.

I live all things Ninty but know, as Myrddin has said, it's been a long empty year with few decent WiiU releases, only an excellent 12 months of 3ds releases as well as Super Luigi U have kept the Nintendo flag flying.
    I have found myself playing a lot of PS3 over the last year though...

Justify whatever you want, your comment about enjoying Mario whilst others play garbage like Knack was that of a fanboy.

Totally dismissing a console over one game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Got any links? I remember when I was jealously hearing about lads in school getting PS2s the DVD made a massive difference in encouraging their parents to go for it.

the DC was discontinued about 2-3 months after the PS2 came out in europe iirc

before that sega were negotiating with ms to have DC games compatible with the original xbox

everything about sega before the ps2 launch looked like they were pulling out of hardware manufacturing as the sales of the DC and saturn were ****

DVD meant SFA in that war the was a selling point for the ps2 but the dc was dead by then

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Myrddin wrote: »
    For almost a full year after its release, there was barely a reason to even turn the Wii U on Cidey, it's only the last while that an actual library of titles is starting to form for it. I've spent more time playing Snes games on my Wii U, over actual Wii U games. It's been a long & boring year for owners of the Wii U, myself included. It's only now that owning one is starting to pay off.

I remember hearing someone say pretty much the same thing about the 3DS late in 2011.... Fingers crossed, eh? :)

@RasTa : Well there is no denying that some poor barstewards will be playing Knack out of necessity, as the price of them getting the console before christmas. And SM3DW it aint. And we should all laugh at them, for our console is hitting it's stride as there's is taking it's first faltering steps. Nintendo home console owners traditionally only get small windows of opportunity to be on the fun end of Schadenfreude, we should make hay while the sun shines.

But I took Ciderman's remark to be a comment on the original point of this thread - the question wasn't which is the best console this gen, it's does this christmas belong to Nintendo. And he's saying yes. In terms of current platforms and the games available for them, I'm inclined to agree and am hopeful that a big chunk of the undecided gaming world will too, for the sake of the console's future.

This is a civilised Nintendo zone - we use cutlery here! - Can't we leave the trolling and flame baiting to the savages in the PS4 vs XBOne thread? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Does this christmas belong to nintendo ? Yes but not the wii u but the 3ds

I would choose a vita over a wii u right now even when the vita future seems to be a pheripheral Than its own dedicated device.

Next year can be more of debate if the wii u is the console for christmas but again I would choose a ps4 or xbox one because they games are not going to be suffering any droughts till the end of its lifecycle.

I bought the wii u hoping I would get similar games like fragile dreams, mad world and no more heroes and bayonetta 2 and sonic swayed me. Nintendo exclusive dont really excite me only zelda , metroid I really enjoy.

It seems nintendo chose its future and thats with handhelds but while I can agree its far to early to seal the wii u fate the arcana is left in the cards.

Me having bought the system on day and I still only own 1 nintendo game and thats only because I traded in the lackluster nintendoland for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RasTa wrote: »
    Justify whatever you want, your comment about enjoying Mario whilst others play garbage like Knack was that of a fanboy.

Totally dismissing a console over one game

But Knack and most of the games on the PS4 are a load of arse at the moment, except Resogun which looks yummy. That's kind of how it usually is at launches though. Things will improve.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But Knack and most of the games on the PS4 are a load of arse at the moment, except Resogun which looks yummy. That's kind of how it usually is at launches though. Things will improve.

He chose Knack over Flower, Warframe, Resogun, Super Motherload or Trine 2. It was akin to me saying all Nintendo does is make kids games

Obviously either point scoring or doesn't have a clue.

Why is it so hard for people to talk about a console without dismissing another!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Putting aside the point that many of the games you just mentioned are not PS4 exclusives, is the choice of Knack as a comparative not directly related to an earlier comment about how it has outsold the new Mario game, mainly due to it being bundled with the PS4, and that bundle selling because people would rather pay for a game they don't want than wait till after christmas for the console?

Anyway, I have no vested interest in defending CiDeRmAn, so let's deal with the real issue here - Richy hates Mario - GET HIM!

Banjo wrote: »
    Putting aside the point that many of the games you just mentioned are not PS4 exclusives, is the choice of Knack as a comparative not directly related to an earlier comment about how it has outsold the new Mario game, mainly due to it being bundled with the PS4, and that bundle selling because people would rather pay for a game they don't want than wait till after christmas for the console?

Anyway, I have no vested interest in defending CiDeRmAn, so let's deal with the real issue here - Richy hates Mario - GET HIM!

Hold on now lets deal this like men and slugger it out in smash bros u

Sonic vs mario :L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He chose Knack over Flower, Warframe, Resogun, Super Motherload or Trine 2. It was akin to me saying all Nintendo does is make kids games

Obviously either point scoring or doesn't have a clue.

Why is it so hard for people to talk about a console without dismissing another!

I think you are taking this way to personally and hence making it personal.
    No points to be scored.
    You're extremely happy with your PS4, good for you.
    The software lineup is not for me, not yet, and so what if I mentioned Knack as an example, it's a poor game that's being promoted in a big way by Sony.
    I am not questioning you in any way, I just disagree, but I find being accused of point scoring false and not having a clue simply untrue.
    I've bought into more machines at launch and in almost every case I've been disappointed with the first year of releases post the handful worth playing initially. In both the PS4 and Xbox Ones case I find not much worth my time, that's my time time in my opinion, not yours, I'm not questioning your taste, not in the least.
    But this is a Wii U thread, it is unsurprising as a WiiU owner that I have at least a little insight into the machine that non owners may not have, you can agree or disagree, no worries.

So, lets knock off the personal stuff, or I can just let the mods deal with it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Really looking forward to getting my hands on a 3DS XL and the new Zelda game on Christmas day. Can't beat playing a new Zelda while stuffed full of turkey!

• Advertisement

The software lineup is not for me, not yet, and so what if I mentioned Knack as an example, it's a poor game that's being promoted in a big way by Sony.

You are comparing launch titles to a game that has just being released for a console out 12 months, it's pointless whilst also putting down owners for playing what you described as dung. I'd expect a little more civility from a mod on a games form.

Are people getting sick of Mario's?

Week one sales for Japan, lowest ever for a Mario game.
    1) Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 337,569 (1,032,853 total)
    2) Super Mario 3D Land - 344,698 (1,861,023 total)
    3) Super Mario Sunshine - 280,610 (789,989 total)
    4) Super Mario Galaxy - 256,341 (1,025,664 total)
    5) Super Mario 64* - 162,113 (1,639,914 total)
    6) Super Mario 64 DS* - 120,062 (1,231,535 total)
    7) Super Mario 3D World - 106,967

I am actually thinking of getting a Wii-u(have owned all Nintendo consoles to date) However it comes with New super Mario bros and New Luigi bros, are these new games or remakes? It's also a premium version all for €300 from Smiths. However I can just plug in an external so is the premium thing needed?

However is it going to be the same as always with Nintendo ie

New Mario
    New Zelda
    New Smash Bros
    Metroid

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I am actually thinking of getting a Wii-u(have owned all Nintendo consoles to date) However it comes with New super Mario bros and New Luigi bros, are these new games or remakes? It's also a premium version all for €300 from Smiths. However I can just plug in an external so is the premium thing needed?
    They are new games.

Any USB harddrive can be used, if you need more space. You will only need more space if you buy a games digitally. The premium suits me better as it has enough space for a few downloadable only games without hooking up a harddrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I think there's just a clash of views here about something simple. From how it looks, you see your console and the games it can play, with the console being given primacy. It seems Ciderman is taking the opposite approach. He's looking at the games as the important part. I'd be the same.

Consoles are just a delivery mechanism for the games, so while you are not happy with the comparison of the two games, the reality is this Christmas, lots of people will be playing Knack over SM3D on the basis of it coming out on the 'wrong' console for people in either group.

Is it fair to use Knack? Well, maybe. What's the variable at play here? I'd suggest it is the game for which most people will be playing. I guess you could have gone with Killzone, but I don't think any of the other indie games will do as well as knack. Knack has a bundle where the others don't. What about on the Wii U end? Well, SM3D will certainly be a motivator for sales of the Wii U, so it seems the perfect game to use on that end, so it seems the Knack VS SM3D illustration is a fair way of looking at this Christmas on the PS4 vs Wii.
    You are comparing launch titles to a game that has just being released for a console out 12 months, it's pointless whilst also putting down owners for playing what you described as dung. I'd expect a little more civility from a mod on a games form.
    Your point being, of course, that Christmas isn't the be all for the PS4. And yes, obviously so. The thread though is about this Christmas.New Mario
    New Zelda
    New Smash Bros
    Metroid[/QUOTE]
    Bayonetta 2 and X are two highlights I'm looking forward to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think my behaviour in the discussion here has been perfectly civil. It's a factor independent of whether I am a mod or not.
    This thread is a debate on the op, about Nintendo and their performance this Christmas.
    I see the representation of the WiiU as a imminent failure as premature at best.

I genuinely find the personalisation of the discussion distasteful and unnecessary.
    No need at all for it

Regarding the WiiU going forward, the I'd little doubt there are some great games coming in the months ahead.
    I just hope enough people will have bought into the format to enjoy them.

As for the other consoles, Drive Club and Titanfall, not to mention the next Halo will probably sell them to me come the summer.

Roll on 2014!

I see the representation of the WiiU as a imminent failure as premature at best.
    What is a failure anyway? I don't think we all bring the same standards to bear when we think about what is a failure. I mean, even the subject of commercial failure isn't a clear cut one. Nintendo have a name for making a profit on each console sold, so they don't really do 'failure' except maybe in the case of the virtual boy.

Some would say the N64 was a failure, or the Gamecube or the original Xbox. I think back to how much gaming joy I got out of those systems, and I laugh at the idea of a failure.

The Wii is an open question, it seems to many it was considered a flop with people talking about how it gathered dust. So, it's clear that for many the commercial perspective alone isn't what is meant. I don't think the Wii is a failure at all, but if I were to try to place systems in terms of failures, I'd definitely have the Wii closer to being a failure than the N64, Cube or Xbox.

Most people are fully aware it is way too early to say anything about the next gen systems. I mean, we all know it would be ridiculous to ask any of us something like what will we be playing in 2015. We don't have a damn clue what kind of games are going to be out then. What kind of predictions can we make with so very little basis for any stuff to be said, in all honesty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd take the wii over the xbox and n64. It had far more good games on it than those two (exclusives in the case of the xbox).

I hace always considered myself a platform agnostic.
    I tend to follow the games rather than the format.
    The main reason I feel compelled to buy Nintendo hardware is because they make lovely stuff. Well I think they do anyway.
    The only misstep for me was the Nes, aside from that I love all their machines, they may still have their faults, such as the very short controller cables on my Famicom, but they do make machines made to play games, rather than trying to fulfil a host of roles and looking like hifi equipment.
    But, even so, I still find myself buying every bloody console, I bought the Vita last spring and while a lot of titles are cut down PS3 games there are some great games there, Gravity Rush, Hotline Miami and Touch my Katamari to name three.
    So, follow the games, not the console, another good reason not to sell your older machines, for every good game you've played there'll be six awesome ones you'll have never heard of and will need to buy, my PS2 collection is still getting bigger, especially as I can play jap and us games on my TEST PS2 (region free).

The only misstep for me was the Nes
    This isn't exactly in keeping with the "this christmas" theme of the thread, but what misstep do you mean? I'd have been very young at the time. I started out on the C64 at only a couple of years old I guess and not much older for the NES, so while I played them, I was hardly at an age where I was discerning, I'll put it that way.

I saw you mention earlier instead of the Nintendo/Sega rivalry you were in the C64/Spectrum one, so you were obviously at a better stage for evaluating the NES than I was. You know, about the whole Nintendo/Sega thing though, I don't recall there ever being much of a rivalry really except for say, in terms of Mortal Kombat and the blood issue.

Can't remember anything too bad even there to be honest, and in a more immediate sense, in my own area, my friend who would go Sega and I with Nintendo would swap consoles every now and then to see how good it was. Had some good times on Sega consoles, but preferred Nintendo.
    So, follow the games, not the console
    In their own way, people are following the games. It's just a different understanding than we might find reasonable. Take the idea of the killer app. The great game that comes out on a system, so you have to get that console to buy that game. So, you get the console when that game comes out, right? Well, it seems no, not necessarily. I've seen it in the last 2 generations at least people complaining about a game they 'bought the system for' being delayed. Head scratcher. If there is a game I bought the system for, I'm playing it.

Regarding the Nes its terrible, particularly the cart slot, designed to appeal to western audiences, make it look like a VCR, but actually, in part, causing the connector issue that plagues almost every Nes eventually, necessitating repair.
    But, as a games console it was streets ahead of the Master System.
    The rivalry between consoles is as old as the market containing more than one device to buy, and I've lived through enough console generations now to recognise it as the vacuous pursuit it is.

It was only mentioned as design and a focus on hardware to facilitate games is a trademark of Nintendo devices, the N64 controller, the Wii remote, introduction of touchscreen gaming and so on.

My console is better than yours conversations are mostly juvenile but an honest examination of their attributes is not, as is the conclusion that most machines veer towards a middle ground of multi platform releases that irons out the idiosyncracies and advantages of the host console, ultimately rendering the initial console choice as moot.
    At least the WiiU can promise one thing, if you choose it this Christmas you won't be buying into the same barrage of updates to franchises, although Nintendo is no stranger to that, but few can deny the invention they apply, in the best cases in the past we have gotten Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy, not so much with the NSMB series, although New Super Luigi U goes some way to undermine the easy assumptions about that franchise, it's rock hard!

But, yes, it's all about choice.
    What someone sees as gospel and the best purchase decision for them will look like madness to others, and n'ere the twain shall meet.
    Even among us on the Arcade&Retro forum there are some insane people who love Streets of Rage, and so deserve to suffer.

To be honest, if The Last Guardian was released on the PS4 I'd buy one tomorrow, if it wasn't sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Banjo wrote: »
    I remember hearing someone say pretty much the same thing about the 3DS late in 2011.... Fingers crossed, eh? :):D

Someone? Try everyone who shelled out €250 for a 3DS & had virtually nothing of note to play on it for over a year, except a two decade old port of an N64 game. Those were tough days as a 3DS owner, but as always with Nintendo, they turned it around despite all the calls of doom & flop. I love the 3DS library now, & its getting stronger all the time. The Wii U was no different, but we're in the turn around period right now, it's only now starting to become a very attractive console to own.

But you're dead right answering the question of "Is it Nintendo's Christmas?", it absolutely most definitely is :)

Even though the I owned more games and some of my favourite games were on the playstation platform I stated in the past the wii was my favourite console last generation.

For a console that was bashed as a casual console for just dance and party games it it had some of the best titles of this generation and some were gems and were plagued my fps genre that almost made me quit console gaming .

It had the best jrpg games with xenoblade , last story and pandora tower

It had some amazing horror games that were obselete for the most part on the other consoles and while some were just a straight port from the gamecube like resident evil remake it still holds up and one of the best remakes I ever played.

It had the best platformers with the galaxy games alone without including the likes of kloona and sonic colours which is the best 3d sonic game.

On top of all this with arcade classic titles house of the dead 2 and 3 and awesome story driven rpg and puzzles games like zack and wiki and fragile dreams the wii was a superb console , a console that was already considered crap for not being in HD by many

It had the best jrpg games with xenoblade , last story and pandora tower
    I'm right there with you on Xenoblade and need to get back to Pandora Tower, but Last Story? It was a big let down to me of what I played.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'm right there with you on Xenoblade and need to get back to Pandora Tower, but Last Story? It was a big let down to me of what I played.

Really ? I loved last story , was not perfect by any means but I truly enjoyed it.
    Pandora tower is the weakest out of the 3 but its so interesting on what it sets out to do , truly joyful

Christ but I have all three and never played them :(
    But then, I also have Earthbound, Super Mario RPG and Chronotrigger and haven't made a dent in them either!
    I have to start working through my back catalogue at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Christ but I have all three and never played them :(
    But then, I also have Earthbound, Super Mario RPG and Chronotrigger and haven't made a dent in them either!
    I have to start working through my back catalogue at some point!

I wonder if you added up all our back catalogues how many games there'd be?

Too many id say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really ? I loved last story , was not perfect by any means but I truly enjoyed it.
    Pandora tower is the weakest out of the 3 but its so interesting on what it sets out to do , truly joyful

Last Story was a fascinating mess. From moment to moment it could be brilliant or dreadful. Even the battle system, which - during the game's best battles - was bordering on inspired, was probably a couple of tweaks away from being genuinely excellent. There was loads of inventive twists on the usual JRPG template, and they admirably cut so much of the fat that tends to bog the genre down. But even then the core story was turgidly paced, stopping and starting with depressing frequency. It also had some of the worst English voice acting I've ever come across. But it was well worth playing, if only for the creativity on display elsewhere. So yeah, a fascinating mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Today I jumped in headfirst to the handheld world for the first time. By headfirst I mean a full on balls out bulk buy. Not much can beat a bulk buy of a new console.

I toyed with the idea for a while about getting a Wii U but with my original Wii sitting there looking at me, it would be a shame to let it collect dust without me even dipping a toe into it's catalogue of titles, not to mention the entire GameCube library (see here).

So today I picked up a 3DS XL with the starter kit and charger along with:
    • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (my first ever Zelda)
    • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (amazingly addictive)
    • Lego Lord of the Rings (I couldn't resist!)
    • Fire Emblem Awakening (have yet to try)

Better still, after you register a 3DS online along with a selected game (Fire Emblem included) you are awarded a free download of Super Mario 3D Land. So far I couldn't be happier. It's a seriously impressive machine. I considered a Vita once I knew I was going handheld but that idea was quickly put to bed once I saw the current library of each console.

The Nintendo just seemed to offer more of what I was looking for: a change from the conventional AAA titles. I downloaded the free copy of Gears of War on Xbox Live over the weekend at turned it off after 20 minutes. It was visually fantastic but offered little else in engaging gameplay. All has changed now though!

Pac1Man wrote: »
    So today I picked up a 3DS XL with the starter kit and charger along with:
    • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (my first ever Zelda)
    • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (amazingly addictive)
    • Lego Lord of the Rings (I couldn't resist!)
    • Fire Emblem Awakening (have yet to try)
    I can't speak to how good Ocarina is on the 3DS in its attempts to modernize it but if its anything near as good as it was for me when I first played on N64 you are in for a treat.

Who knows, we might see Majora's Mask get a remake at some point... Though that one is the hardest Zelda to get in to in my opinion. First time I played it, I stopped, and had to go back to it at some point later. I haven't played it in years, and want to do so again. It isn't very accessible, and you have to put a lot in to appreciate it, but it's something I wouldn't mind playing again.
    I downloaded the free copy of Gears of War on Xbox Live over the weekend at turned it off after 20 minutes. It was visually fantastic but offered little else in engaging gameplay. All has changed now though!
    I had fun playing the multiplayer at the time and I'm not generally a multiplayer type but for me it was more about the campaign... Specifically, the campaign played co-op. The game really comes alive playing it co-op and I'd suggest you go about playing it that way to get the most out of it. It's a blast. Do you have someone who'd do a co-op run with you? I'd offer myself, but it'd be weeks or months before I'd be able to so there's that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I had fun playing the multiplayer at the time and I'm not generally a multiplayer type but for me it was more about the campaign... Specifically, the campaign played co-op. The game really comes alive playing it co-op and I'd suggest you go about playing it that way to get the most out of it. It's a blast. Do you have someone who'd do a co-op run with you? I'd offer myself, but it'd be weeks or months before I'd be able to so there's that.

Maybe I am just cynical but it didn't seem to offer more than the usual take cover and shoot, with the odd grenade (and chainsaw) thrown in for good measure. It will have to be a seriously rainy day before I go back I think.

Advertisement