Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It seems to be Nintendo's Christmas...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I just saw my first XL - the Zelda one - in the flesh, and while the colour is god-awful, size-wize it's thinner than a DS phat, not much wider and about the same length. And the screen... oh the screen.... My shabby regular 3DS with it's scratched upper screen just can't compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Don't see anything about the Wii U to get me excited.

Going to get myself a PS3 over Christmas and play the games that I missed due to being a PC gamer.

Mario just doesn't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Banjo wrote: »
    I just saw my first XL - the Zelda one - in the flesh, and while the colour is god-awful, size-wize it's thinner than a DS phat, not much wider and about the same length. And the screen... oh the screen.... My shabby regular 3DS with it's scratched upper screen just can't compete.

Yeah if it was black with just the gold TriForce logo on the back it'd be ok, but the all over gold look is a bit tacky looking, I like the white one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Thats me sold, where can i get Wii U?

CHEAP!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I watch with jealousy my A&R mates with 3dsXLs, the extra screen real estate makes a big difference.
    Sad though is the loss of the layered look of the 3DS itself, I really like that aspect of my launch machine.
    The 2DS seems to have made a important concession to the young market that made the Ds such a legend, dropping the 3D and gaining a tablet like form it's a lovely thing and I want the Luigi one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I actually bought a wii u and a 3ds in the Amazon sales this week. But I seriously can't see the wii selling that much. Knack outsold Mario so that says it all. Despite all of the good reviews.

This article isn't so optimistic about their chances.
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/04/nintendo-needs-to-reach-beyond-its-catalogue-to-save-wii-u/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I actually bought a wii u and a 3ds in the Amazon sales this week. But I seriously can't see the wii selling that much. Knack outsold Mario so that says it all. Despite all of the good reviews.

This article isn't so optimistic about their chances.
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/04/nintendo-needs-to-reach-beyond-its-catalogue-to-save-wii-u/

Knack figures are skewed by bundles and tbf usually Nintendo games sustain sales for months

Wii U sales in japan were at there second highest this week (28K) and i wouldnt be surprised if that continued given the strength of titles coming out

Nintendo are perfectly fine too the 3DS (XL and original) sold 100K units in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Arrgh! There's so many conflicting opinions preventing me from pulling the trigger on a Wii U. Just watched a video on Gamespot about why the U is a failure. He predicts a further lack of third party support in the future which could be worrying and also a lack of upcoming titles worth mentioning (which is somewhat subjective).

Anyone care to ease my fears?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Pac1Man wrote: »
    a lack of upcoming titles worth mentioning (which is somewhat subjective).

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, X

Edit: Forgot Yarn Yoshi and Bayonetta 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I work in a major toy retailer, not really sure if i can say it but you all know it anyway. Plenty of people iv'e noticed are getting the Wii U. Mostly parents and granneys getting it for younger kids, not really by anyone you'd typically assume was a gamer. I'm always interested in what games they get for it, but they'd be understandably confused/annoyed with me sticking my head into the trolly gawking at bags.

I'm seriously considering getting the first Wii in the new year. Worth it for Wii sport and Sport resort alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you can't bring yourself to buy a WiiU, get the Wii and get Resident Evil and Resident Evil 4 , fantastic stuff.
    Grab Metroid Prime as well.
    Mario Kart and a Game cube controller is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Arrgh! There's so many conflicting opinions preventing me from pulling the trigger on a Wii U. Just watched a video on Gamespot about why the U is a failure. He predicts a further lack of third party support in the future which could be worrying and also a lack of upcoming titles worth mentioning (which is somewhat subjective).

Anyone care to ease my fears?:P
    abbir wrote: »
    Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, X

Edit: Forgot Yarn Yoshi and Bayonetta 2.

..what abbir said.

My Wii U should be winging its way to me from Amazon in the coming days.

I got it with Lego City Undercover and Rayman Legends. Both get great reviews, except for the loading times on Lego City.

I then bought Mario 3D World.

Abbir has listed the games I'm buying in the coming year. Maybe a new Zelda in there too? If not I might just get the Windwaker HD.

Some seriously good titles there.

People keep saying theres no good titles which may have been true for the first year of its life but they're about to have lots.

And this is the reason I'm leaving my PS4 purchase for at least another year.

ps ... dont stone me or anything but I'm also yet to play a few wii games I have on my shelf from the Xtravison sales.. For example... Mario Galaxy and Resident Evil 4 just to name to very big titles I never had a chance to play. So eh I have a lot to be getting on with. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you can't bring yourself to buy a WiiU, get the Wii and get Resident Evil and Resident Evil 4 , fantastic stuff.
    Grab Metroid Prime Trilogy as well.
    Mario Kart and a Game cube controller is the way to go.

You left out a word. :) I know you were listing GC games, but if you want value for money (assuming you can get it for around cost price. CEX have it apparently), the trilogy is great value. Actually Metroid Prime on it's own is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

And what about the potential for a lack of third party support in the future? Does anyone fear that or is it just being pessimistic? I don't want to end up with a dodo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

And what about the potential for a lack of third party support in the future? Does anyone fear that or is it just being pessimistic? I don't want to end up with a dodo!

If you like 3rd party games then just a Wii U isn't for you. It really needs to be paired with an other device.

I think it's a reason alot of people want Nintendo to stop making consoles and port to other machines.

Daith wrote: »
    If you like 3rd party games then just a Wii U isn't for you. It really needs to be paired with an other device.

I think it's a reason alot of people want Nintendo to stop making consoles and port to other machines.

Its true. You need it as one of your consoles not as your sole console unless say its for your kids only.

Most of us adults will want to play some of the 3rd party stuff your Halos or Gears of War or enter other game title here and will have a 360/PS3/PC for that type of gaming.

It'd be nice if all gaming was on one machine but Nintendo are not going to make titles for other companies any time soon.

As for the lack of 3rd party scaring me. No. I think there'll be a 5 year life span or there and there abouts with Wii U.
    One year is gone so lets say 3 or 4 more years.
    If Nintendo do what they do best and release lots of 1st party stuff in that time frame it'll keep us all going happily.

Quality over Quantity imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Daith wrote: »

Jaysus, it's heartbreaking seeing Sega having to do this, not Nintendo too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

The 3DS had far and away the best 2013 of any system both in terms of release strength and sales performance. I'd find it a little opportunistic to link the Wii U in with that and conclude Nintendo domination. :P

For me, and probably a lot of people the Wii U got its first desirable title in Mario 3D world. Which is certainly something but not enough to consider buying the console.
    I'm a bit weary of the upcoming first party releases, the likes of Mario Kart and Smash Bros especially have had a real jaded touch to them in recent times so I'll be adopting a wait and see approach to them instead of anticipating them like I used to.

Do hope things pick up for the Wii U and it can at least establish a reliable niche like the gamecube, it's very necessary for competition that they stay a force in the home hardware business.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Jaysus, it's heartbreaking seeing Sega having to do this, not Nintendo too. :(

I don't know. I never would have played Skies of Arcadia if Sega didn't port it the Gamecube. It's one of my favourite games ever and I never would have played it if Sega didn't go software only.

There is something to be said for Nintendo just focusing on games and letting Sony/Microsoft worry about hardware costs/online etc.

Having saying that I'd kinda love if Nintendo just went all out with "We make the greatest games in the world. You can only buy them on our machine. We're unique. Nintendo does what other companies don't."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Imo the Wii U is still a year away from having a very good library of games. It is good as it is, I would just like 2 - 3 more games and 2 -3 games that are coming out the following year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

SmurfX wrote: »
    Do hope things pick up for the Wii U and it can at least establish a reliable niche like the gamecube, it's very necessary for competition that they stay a force in the home hardware business.

Buy one then! Hoping is not enough, be part of the solution!
    [Godwin] Sure if all Churchill did was hope that Hitler was going to stop soon, we'd all be speaking auf deutsch![/Godwin]

What Ninty need to do is put the full force of their gaming prowess behind a vast multiplayer run-n-gun FPS, with vehicular combat, destructable environments, class based RPG style progression etc. etc. And then make it the cutest damned thing you ever saw. Squirrels vs Badgers paintball. Teddies trying to capture jars of honey from anthropomorphic bees. A hard-core game that can 3 year olds can play without being traumatised. Not that it would win over the PS/XB faithful, but it would be great to see them spazzing out in Gamestop, struggling against their inner child....

Banjo wrote: »
    What Ninty need to do is put the full force of their gaming prowess behind a vast multiplayer run-n-gun FPS, with vehicular combat, destructable environments, class based RPG style progression etc. etc. And then make it the cutest damned thing you ever saw. Squirrels vs Badgers paintball. Teddies trying to capture jars of honey from anthropomorphic bees. A hard-core game that can 3 year olds can play without being traumatised. Not that it would win over the PS/XB faithful, but it would be great to see them spazzing out in Gamestop, struggling against their inner child....

Pokemon MMO

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, I gotta say that the Pokemon "universe" seems like you could drop massively multiplayer into it and not really need to do much more to the core game mechanics for it to be a winner. You'd just need to handle ganking and trade and so on, but I could easily see it being a gigantic seller.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The day there is a pokémon MMO made by nintendo is the day I can die happy.

Angron wrote: »
    The day there is a pokémon MMO made by nintendo is the day I can die happy.

Though wouldn't it be a real bummer that you died the day a pokemon MMO came out?

People don't buy the Wii U because they say there's no third party support, then third parties won't support it because no one's buying it. It's a vicious circle.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Though wouldn't it be a real bummer that you died the day a pokemon MMO came out?

People don't buy the Wii U because they say there's no third party support, then third parties won't support it because no one's buying it. It's a vicious circle.

I was watching a clip on youtube earlier about the dreamcast lifespan.

The nail in the coffin for the dreamcast was the PS2 as it had DVD ... AND... EA Sports.

PS2 and then of course a new console Xbox.

Lets hope that those two problems dont come back to haunt Nintys machine!

Although as previously mentioned Ninty are broke like Sega were at this stage.

Shemnue cost them HUGE money as well even by todays standards. No wonder they were broke.

... still want a dreamcast. :D

... but then again maybe thats the problem right there I've always wanted a dreamcast but never bought one. Maybe thats whats happening with the Wii U. People say they want one but dont seem to be actually putting their money where their mouth is.

Go forth and buy Wii U people. Cant wait for mine to be delivered. I'm going to unbox it update it and then wrap it up for xmas morning along with Mario 3D. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,016 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EA Sports wasn't a big a deal as people think especially considering that Sega's own 2K games were vastly superior to EA's games and had online play. Same with DVD, DVD wasn't actually popular at all. It was the PS2 that made DVD popular and by the time that had happened the DC was already dead.

It was just consumer apathy towards the Dreamcast that killed it. Playstation was synomynous with videogames at the time so all anyone wanted was a PS2 and Sega had screwed up with the Saturn and lost consumer trust.

Consumer apathy towards the Wii U and Dreamcast however is a worryingly appropiate analogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Dvd was huge in japan when the ps2 came out

sega already lost the battle when the ps2 came out

The number of people complaining about the price and waiting for a price cut don;t know what they want either. The Wii U was ridiculously cheap in an amazon flash sale with 2 of the best Wii U games and still they said it was too expensive. Think they just want it for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The number of people complaining about the price and waiting for a price cut don;t know what they want either. The Wii U was ridiculously cheap in an amazon flash sale with 2 of the best Wii U games and still they said it was too expensive. Think they just want it for free.

I'd buy it tomorrow if they got rid of that pad and adjusted the price accordingly.

Advertisement