Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It seems to be Nintendo's Christmas...

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Maybe I am just cynical but it didn't seem to offer more than the usual take cover and shoot, with the odd grenade (and chainsaw) thrown in for good measure. It will have to be a seriously rainy day before I go back I think.
    I suppose there is the factor that I'd have played it when it was newly launched. Playing it co-op then when it didn't have the years worth of games that have come out since... It has been a good while since I played it myself. Not sure how well it holds up to be honest. Was more commenting from a when I'd played it, which probably would have been before Gears 3 came out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have never understood why people think Gears is so good. The first one annoyed me way too much with it's gigantic slab of muscle main character blocking out the majority of the screen - I found it to be completely unplayable. I think I borrowed the second one from a friend one Christmas for something new to look at and they'd made some changes with the camera angle so I could see what I was shooting at and whilst the campaign was an enjoyable 6 or 7 hours (I think - I remember it took me two sessions), I couldn't see what all the fuss was about; I guess in the same way that I don't see what the fuss was about Golden Eye, it is a massively inferior game to Quake and I don't think that "we've never seen this on a console" is a good enough reason to rave about it - more a further proof that the PC is the best platform for anyone who wants to play seriously competitive multi-player stuff (note, that's not the same as saying "PC is best for all gaming," it's not :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Shiminay wrote: »
    ...(note, that's not the same as saying "PC is best for all gaming," it's not :))

That's exactly what you said. I heard it. It was really nice knowing you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Shiminay wrote: »
    I have never understood why people think Gears is so good.
    I've already said it, but I've always had lots of fun with the co-op. I said about the first before, but really, it applies to all 3. I think it was a great console shooter for its time.
    I guess in the same way that I don't see what the fuss was about Golden Eye
    What do you mean by this precisely? You think it was a bad game or that it wasn't as good as people let on? To me, if I have as many countless hours of joy with a game, then it's great. I don't really need to do any deeper analysis. Just does it entertain, and how much, and for how long.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I don't think Goldeneye was bad at all, just very "ordinary." It simply wasn't a patch on Quake which is what I was playing almost exclusively at the time. But I wouldn't dare try and suggest that anyone who enjoyed it was in any way "wrong" or anything of the sort, it makes people's top 10's for a lot of reasons and to suggest that just because they didn't know the truth about the mouse and keyboard (:p:p:p), their opinion is invalid is just silly :)

I didn't get a chance to play Gears' co-op, but I've seen it in action and since so many other games have taken that "hoarde" model and ran with it, you gotta give them some (if not most) of the credit for making it into such a mainstream game mode. Mass Effect 3's approach to it was the one I've probably played most of and have really enjoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well done on getting OoT for the 3DS, I have it, as well as it's previous iterations, and it's a stunning conversion.
    I'm hoping for a MM conversion too, though I have it on the N64 and GC, as well as VC, but damn that game is hard!
    Cave Story 3d is definitely worth finding, and Star Fox 3d pops up for pocket money prices and well worth snapping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well done on getting OoT for the 3DS, I have it, as well as it's previous iterations, and it's a stunning conversion.
    I'm hoping for a MM conversion too, though I have it on the N64 and GC, as well as VC, but damn that game is hard!
    Cave Story 3d is definitely worth finding, and Star Fox 3d pops up for pocket money prices and well worth snapping up.

To be honest I was a bit wary getting it because since it's my first Zelda game, I wasn't sure whether the entire Zelda world and story would be a bit confusing since I missed the boat to say the least! So far so gold though. Hopefully the game can be enjoyed in isolation as I get further into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Word of advice for OOT 3DS though, turn off the gyroscopic controls. Moving the console round to try to aim usually just breaks the 3D, meaning you can't aim at all! D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Word of advice for OOT 3DS though, turn off the gyroscopic controls. Moving the console round to try to aim usually just breaks the 3D, meaning you can't aim at all! D:

This. Enjoy it too, & stick with it...it's a masterpiece of a game :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pac1Man wrote: »
    To be honest I was a bit wary getting it because since it's my first Zelda game, I wasn't sure whether the entire Zelda world and story would be a bit confusing since I missed the boat to say the least! So far so gold though. Hopefully the game can be enjoyed in isolation as I get further into it.

All the zelda stories can be enjoyed in isolation. The entire story arc of e series was actually only officially laid down and revealed by Nintendo a few months ago. It's also a complete and utter load of nonsense that isn't worth paying attention to and sounds like the worst kind of fan fiction. The games were originally meant to be enjoyed in isolation and that's the best way to think of them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All the zelda stories can be enjoyed in isolation. The entire story arc of e series was actually only officially laid down and revealed by Nintendo a few months ago. It's also a complete and utter load of nonsense that isn't worth paying attention to and sounds like the worst kind of fan fiction. The games were originally meant to be enjoyed in isolation and that's the best way to think of them :)

Couldn't agree more, this need to somehow connect the games timeline is something I never understood. I never view them as connected, & enjoy them in isolation & for their own merits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Agreed. Legends and myths change over time and the idea of this story of the hero being applied to all these different universes in different times is cool. No need to tie them all together.

I was disappointed when Nintendo nailed down a timeline to be honest, it's just so not important.

ANYWAY, in the spirit of the thread, I'm getting a Wii U, WW and Mario 3D World as a present from me to me. I've got a decent PC and I'm not missing out by skipping the PS4 and Xbox One for a while. Nintendo is where I REALLY got into games.

Advertisement