Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It seems to be Nintendo's Christmas...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just as a matter of interest, what's wrong with the pad, apart from the battery life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The pad unless utilized by developers is worthless , I will hold judgement till I see what developers can do with it but from what games I played on it I am not sure its ideal for alot of genres.

What be cool if they made a new project zero and use the gamepad as a camera to take the pictures of ghost, that would work incredibly well but if all we get is a pad that hides the hud and used for your inventory that miyamoto suggested then its a waste.

I also feel the gamepad has sort of been a nuisance to the wii u than a positive since the system can not go down in price anymore due to the cost of the gamepad and also how the system power is being hindered to generate power to the controller or so from what I read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,016 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dvd was huge in japan when the ps2 came out

sega already lost the battle when the ps2 came out

Who told you that because its totally false. At the time of the ps2 release DVD was tiny in Japan, the Japanese were happy with VHS and laser disc which was very big in Japan. The ps2 is what prompted a change from laserdisc to DVD.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Who told you that because its totally false. At the time of the ps2 release DVD was tiny in Japan, the Japanese were happy with VHS and laser disc which was very big in Japan. The ps2 is what prompted a change from laserdisc to DVD.

heard it from that history of the dreamcast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Also, wasn't that gen, in Japan, a two horse race between the PS2 and GC?
    The Xbox didn't get a look in at all.

A feature of the WiiU, and one that they underplay, is that many games allow the use of the Wii Remotes to control games.
    The focus on the Gamepad is confusing those who jumped with the Wii due to the ease of use, the simplicity of the controller, given that the Gamepad is probably one of the most imposing controllers I've seen.
    By comparison the PS and Xbox controllers have been on a gentle, evolutionary curve since their introduction, with few surprises to offput buyers.

Once again, don't count the WiiU out, there's life in the old girl yet and a lot of people who, up to now, have been quite happy with their Wii's will be looking to buy a new console, could be only a matter of time before that enormous market, a market Nintendo created, will want to dip their toes into console buying again.
    The PS4 and Xbox One still come with the words "Hardcore" written implicitly into ever piece of paraphernalia, this may make them unattractive to the typical Wii buyer.
    These may not be gamers like you and me, but they have money to spend never the less, and all it takes is for the new Wii Fit U to take hold, or similar, and off WiiU sales go like a rocket again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,016 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

heard it from that history of the dreamcast

Well don't believe it, it's a terrible piece of poorly researched and revisionist history by people that haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/05/i-dont-know-why-iwata-is-still-employed-pachter-gloomy-on-wii-us-future/

Alternative title: I don't know why Pachter is still employed Pushtrak questions if Pachter is on crack.
    “I don’t know why Iwata is still employed,” he said of Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, pointing to the company’s failure to bring Nintendo content to other platforms in order to create new fans who might embrace the 3DS and Wii U.
    Yes, releasing your titles on other systems. That'll motivate people to buy the system they used to only be obtained on. Uh, what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Pushtrak wrote: »
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/05/i-dont-know-why-iwata-is-still-employed-pachter-gloomy-on-wii-us-future/

Alternative title: I don't know why Pachter is still employed Pushtrak questions if Pachter is on crack.

Yes, releasing your titles on other systems. That'll motivate people to buy the system they used to only be obtained on. Uh, what?

Why is pachter listened to at all?

NTMK wrote: »
    Why is pachter listened to at all?

He's made a niche for himself as the only industry analyst so theres no one else to listen to unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

He's made a niche for himself as the only industry analyst so theres no one else to listen to unfortunately.

You have to applaud him there. He identified a market and filled it. Terrible product he provides too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Nah, there are a lot out there.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/industry-expertise/video-games/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/jobs/by-category/business---analysis---metrics
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/14/games-industry-analyst-makes-nine-predictions-about-2013/

Pachter is especially noteworthy among them as he seems the media darling. The idea of a games analyst doesn't seem that great to me as so much can change and they as far as I can see it are more prone to err than be right so their predictions lack utility. I haven't particularly looked in to games analysts, but I wonder if Pachter is the equivalent for games analysts as Fox News gets on about any particular topic. Or maybe they all really do suck conwayshrug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

What little respect one might have for him went when he predicted Red Dead would underperform, yeah cause nobody that plays games ever wanted to be a cowboy at any time in their life growing up

EA Sports wasn't a big a deal as people think especially considering that Sega's own 2K games were vastly superior to EA's games and had online play. Same with DVD, DVD wasn't actually popular at all. It was the PS2 that made DVD popular and by the time that had happened the DC was already dead.

It was just consumer apathy towards the Dreamcast that killed it. Playstation was synomynous with videogames at the time so all anyone wanted was a PS2 and Sega had screwed up with the Saturn and lost consumer trust.

Consumer apathy towards the Wii U and Dreamcast however is a worryingly appropiate analogy.

Got any links? I remember when I was jealously hearing about lads in school getting PS2s the DVD made a massive difference in encouraging their parents to go for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember that weasel Jez san describing the DC as the sweet you can easy between Playstations, he and other tools made sure Sega lost the hearts of the buying public, despite the fact that the Dc is a fine machine.
    EA may not make superior products but they make the ones the great unwashed want, so I'd thru can't get their identikit Fifa every 12 months they'll buy the console that does.
    Still, I'll be playing Super Mario 3D World on Christmas morning, while others will have to play dung like Knack, history will be the judge ofthe better console, rather than the best selling.

Got any links? I remember when I was jealously hearing about lads in school getting PS2s the DVD made a massive difference in encouraging their parents to go for it.

You have to remember that the Dreamcast was dead in the water after the PS2 launch and production had stopped before the PS2 had finished it's first year on sale. You were probably envious of the PS2's DVD playing features but it was probably after the DC was officially cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You have to remember that the Dreamcast was dead in the water after the PS2 launch and production had stopped before the PS2 had finished it's first year on sale. You were probably envious of the PS2's DVD playing features but it was probably after the DC was officially cancelled.

All this talk of dreamcast makes me want a dreamcast.

I think what hurt the dreamcast the most was piracy

I think what hurt the dreamcast the most was piracy

Again DC games weren't widely pirated until after the console was cancelled. People forget it only had a lifetime of 18 months.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<totally off-topic>
    I had a DreamCast - to date it's been the only "Day 1" console I've ever owned. I don't regret this at all as I thought it was a fantastic machine. It was the perfect merging of things I wanted - a machine that could play games online, mouse and keyboard support for Quake, House of the Dead so I could shoot zombies and not have to spend a fortune in the arcade to do so and it plugged into the telly.

Sony's marketing at the time was brilliant - they had an initial launch for the PS2 at a couple of months after DC, so they convinced everyone not to buy a DC because PS2 would be out so soon. They then proceeded to delay the launch by about 18 months in total, promising gamers every few months that it was almost ready to go etc. Had they not done this, more DCs would have sold, but in hindsight, probably not enough to save Sega's hardware business.

The PS2 wasn't delayed at all as far as I remember, it was delayed a month in Europe but arrived on time otherwise, although the amount of available units was low.? I do remember the adverts about the PS2 coming to remind people to hang on. I really didn't like the third place adverts Sony did but they were effective of getting public mind share. Really the PS2 couldn't fail. It sold like crazy despite games wise being a vastly inferior console to the Dreamcast for quite some time. The Playstation brand name was just so synomynous with gaming like Atari and Nintendo were back in the day that most of the general public didn't know or care about gaming outside of the Playstation name.

I think what really killed the Dreamcasts chances was that demo of Metal Gear Solid 2 at E3. It was so far ahead of anything else at the time visually and really showed up the lack of power the Dreamcast had. The surprisingly amazing GTA3 was the final nail in the coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Well don't believe it, it's a terrible piece of poorly researched and revisionist history by people that haven't a clue.

While what you say is true the DVD functionality was a massive selling point for the PS2. The fact that DVD sales in Japan spiked after the PS2 went on sale speaks volumes. I do remember reading that the attach rate for games for the system in Japan was less than 1, meaning that a lot of people were buying it as a DVD player.

The power of the DVD player was well noted by Sega given their "mock up" of a DVD add on for the Dreamcast.

Ultimately what led to the Dreamcast demise was the Playstation brand and the marketing force behind the PS2 (which promised just about everything). Sega were not financially able to cope. I don't think Nintendo will have this problem although its hard to see the WiiU being any more successful then the dreamcast.

As I said, there was no demand really for DVD in Japan before the PS2. It was the PS2 that created that demand in Japan.

An attach rate of 1 for a launch console is about the going rate in Japan especially considering the majority of consoles were bought by tramps the Yakuza hired to camp outside the game stores (I'm not making that up!) to sell on ebay.

The DVD player angle did become an angle about 3 months before the DC was discontinued, Sega offered a free DVD player for a while with the DC as a desperate attempt to catch up.

It's not that there was demand for DVDs when the playstation launched it's that demand for DVD increased with PS penetration. It was a smart torjan horse for Sony to get a DVD player into households. It's similar to blu-ray and the PS3 but on a much bigger scale. DVD features of the PS2 became a selling point later when DVD became more popular.

Funnily enough asa DVD player the PS2 was far and away the worst on the market. With only composite output supported for DVD it wasonly a minor step up from VHS quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Still, I'll be playing Super Mario 3D World on Christmas morning, while others will have to play dung like Knack, history will be the judge ofthe better console, rather than the best selling.

For almost a full year after its release, there was barely a reason to even turn the Wii U on Cidey, it's only the last while that an actual library of titles is starting to form for it. I've spent more time playing Snes games on my Wii U, over actual Wii U games. It's been a long & boring year for owners of the Wii U, myself included. It's only now that owning one is starting to pay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol, witness the birth of the fanboy. I've no idea what age you are but comments like that remind me of fighting with a friend during the SNES and Megadrive days. Seems things never change.

Well I think history will show what the better game is. I have a feeling the PS4 while a bit crap now will end up the better console in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I remember that weasel Jez san describing the DC as the sweet you can easy between Playstations, he and other tools made sure Sega lost the hearts of the buying public, despite the fact that the Dc is a fine machine.
    EA may not make superior products but they make the ones the great unwashed want, so I'd thru can't get their identikit Fifa every 12 months they'll buy the console that does.

Are you suggesting that the DC was better than the PS2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Well I think history will show what the better game is. I have a feeling the PS4 while a bit crap now will end up the better console in the long run.

I've an inkling that'll be the case too, & again I say this as a fan of all things Nintendo {my Nes, Snes, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, GBA, GBA SP, Gameboy Micro, DS, DS Lite, DSi XL, 3DS, & 3DS XL will all attest to that :o}. I love Nintendo 1st party stuff, am a huge fan of Zelda & I agree they offer a gaming experience that you can't find anywhere else, even from a pc. But, for every Super Mario 3D World, Sony & MS will have at least ten other amazing 1st & 3rd party titles to offer. Yes there's generic stuff like Knack etc, but it's been what, three weeks from the PS4 US launch or something? While there's no 'killer app' or must have reason to own a next gen console right now, it will come soon enough

Are you suggesting that the DC was better than the PS2?

It had a far better selection of games for the first year, possibly even 18 months before it got cancelled. After it got cancelled the PS2 stormed ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It had a far better selection of games for the first year, possibly even 18 months before it got cancelled. After it got cancelled the PS2 stormed ahead.

This doesn't mean anything tbh. However I do remember Jet Set Radio, Shenmue and Resident Evil Code Veronica more then anything I played on the PS2

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    lol, witness the birth of the fanboy. I've no idea what age you are but comments like that remind me of fighting with a friend during the SNES and Megadrive days. Seems things never change.

Here we go with this age nonsense again.
    And I have already declared that I am a fan of Nintendo, unfortunately for your comment I also own pretty much every other console as well and, while I haven't purchased either new machine I will in the next 6 months or so, when there's something I want to play on them, which is something I have stated elsewhere.
    And, anyway, its not the Snes Megadrive battle I was involved in, more the C64 vs Spectrum.

I live all things Ninty but know, as Myrddin has said, it's been a long empty year with few decent WiiU releases, only an excellent 12 months of 3ds releases as well as Super Luigi U have kept the Nintendo flag flying.
    I have found myself playing a lot of PS3 over the last year though...

Advertisement